Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly either way if Mega is applied to either just a couple of mons, or all fully evolved Pokemon, it will be interesting. As long as the new forms don't become completely game breaking I'm all open arms for each. If all of the evolved mons have it, it will have the potential to literally double the amount of viable strategies and really open up the pool of choices. Favouritism (the more likely choice) would still be really awesome as it still expands a lot of choices and allows some super cool forms of old Pokemon, and lets us try new things. Heck, if you can switch back and forth, that would be awesome, but I'm still open arms if it's truly an evolution as well.

Honestly Mega Blaziken and Mega Ampharos especially have my interest. Electric/Dragon seems pretty fun and interesting on something that isn't Zekrom.

I hope we get some Mega defense to balance out this mega offense.
Mega Jellythorn?
Mega Cellitran?
Mega Skarmbliss?
Any of those, plz.

What I really don't want is for Megamons to be necessary for ALL teams... or is this the new weather?

Speaking of weather, I wonder if Mega formes will have some sort of "terrain" like effect that will give them some sort of advantage. Somewhat akin to Pokemon-EX supporting stadium cards in the TCG or something.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Am I the only oen thinking we should havea "Mega Cup" just like we have "little Cup"? and jsut ban mega-mons from standard play, at least if they are as broken as the seem right now, because a "mega cup" would REALLY be intresting to see

I hope we get some Mega defense to balance out this mega offense.
Mega Jellythorn?
Mega Cellitran?
Mega Skarmbliss?
Any of those, plz.

What I really don't want is for Megamons to be necessary for ALL teams... or is this the new weather?
It is a really terrible idea to start panicking over mega forms when we don't know the specifics behind activation, how long they last, or how they change the mons beyond ability and appearance.

Am I the only oen thinking we should havea "Mega Cup" just like we have "little Cup"? and jsut ban mega-mons from standard play, at least if they are as broken as the seem right now, because a "mega cup" would REALLY be intresting to see
See stuff like this is what I'm talking about
The most dangerous ones here are probably Blaziken (who going by this gen would be banned anyway, mega be damned) and Lucario.

Is Electric/Dragon Mold Breaker Ampharos going to be that much of a game changer
Is Mawile suddenly going to get all the speed & defenses it wants to abuse the Huge Power boost?
Somehow I don't think Magic Bounce Absol will be striking fear into the heart of the metagame

Depending on how many Mega forms we get, this may very well be the best option. If there are only a handful of Mega forms (like, the ones already revealed + 4 or 5 other ones), it might not work, but it there are a lot of them, it hopefully should, if they're really THAT powerful (especially Blaziken, Lucario, and Mewtwo, depending on what their stats are).

I hope they dont just stick Mega in front of the original names for the english versions. Have some creativity Game Freak.
Mega defines this entire method of form change
That's what they are, so to speak. "Mega"

It fits with the formatting for various other forms. Mow Rotom, for instance.

Mega Weavile please. Maybe now it'll have the afro it always DESERVED.

I'm really interested in the balance (or lack thereof) that's going to come with these forms. If they have to hold a Megastone, does that mean they're essentially barred from holding items? Therefore there's cases where they might not even be a direct upgrade to their originals.

I really don't think we should have a Mega Clause since we don't have a Legendary Clause. A Pokemon is a Pokemon and it should banned only for the effect it has on the game and not because it shares a Form changing mechanism with Mega Blaziken. That said, it looks like we might end up with quite a lot of power creep this Gen so who can say how the meta will end up looking (though I have a feeling that some people will want to quick-ban things until OU is at the same power level as this Gen.)
I wasn't sure about the actual designs at first, but once I stopped thinking of them as evolutions and more as new mechanics I got quite excited. Plus, who can say no to Ampharos' fabulous do and Lucario's Giratina-esque dreads?

me and my friends reactions

tl'dw: We are VERY, VERY excited for these changes...but something fro PokeJungle makes this seem interesting
http://pokejungle.net/2013/08/08/september-corocoro-leaking-updating/
Mega evolutions are ONLY accessible during battle.
so does this mean as soon as they come out, they become their new formes...or is it triggered my an item? Or is it like Relic Song and is triggered by doing some type of move or something?

what do you guys think?

me and my friends reactions

tl'dw: We are VERY, VERY excited for these changes...but something fro PokeJungle makes this seem interesting
http://pokejungle.net/2013/08/08/september-corocoro-leaking-updating/

so does this mean as soon as they come out, they become their new formes...or is it triggered my an item? Or is it like Relic Song and is triggered by doing some type of move or something?

what do you guys think?
The torchic event implies use of an item to transform in battle, which if they want these things to be used in multiplayer would have to mean hold items.

No idea on if it happens automatically, after set number of turns, start of match, end of turn, etc

Golly, 116 pages in a few hours.

I really like Mega Ampharos; I dig the hair metal wig. Ampharos is pretty defensive, so it could become more so. And that Mawile? That is rad. I just hope it's counterpart, Sableye, gets something too. :)

=
?

holy fuck they aren't really "new" pokemon okay at best you can call them "forms" and are new forms supposed to look all that different? That's why it's okay that the megamons look like the only difference is fluffy hair or some shit. Because they are more forms then evolutions.

Depending on how many Mega forms we get, this may very well be the best option. If there are only a handful of Mega forms (like, the ones already revealed + 4 or 5 other ones), it might not work, but it there are a lot of them, it hopefully should, if they're really THAT powerful (especially Blaziken, Lucario, and Mewtwo, depending on what their stats are).
Don't go being too hasty, lest we remember the last time Pokémon (Haxorus) looked (Black Kyurem) good (Rhyperior) on (Kyurem) paper (Regigigas).

holy fuck they aren't really "new" pokemon okay at best you can call them "forms" and are new forms supposed to look all that different? That's why it's okay that the megamons look like the only difference is fluffy hair or some shit. Because they are more forms then evolutions.
Pokejungle's description of "supercharged" is pretty apt, I think
Thats' why they look so similar, but with more...."enhanced" or exaggerated features

Does anybody think that Sableye might get a Mega form, especially because Mawile has one?

Golly, 116 pages in a few hours.
I really like Mega Ampharos; I dig the hair metal wig. Ampharos is pretty defensive, so it could become more so. And that Mawile? That is rad. I just hope it's counterpart, Sableye, gets something too. :)
Aah, a minute too late for me!

As far as the claims of favoritism go, keep in mind that several of these pokemon are the faces of the generation that they first came out in, and thus valuable advertising tools. Blaziken through the anime, Absol through movie 6 and opening, and Lucario was featured in its own movie, even. They're well-known faces so it makes sense that they would use them to generate interest. It's working too, since right now more information is all I want. That said, I think we can expect ALOT of mega formes, as a way for GF to update the earlier gen pokemon to a level more comparable with recent gens. While some pokemon may not benefit so much from mega forms (Ken is good enough that it may prefer freedom of item choice), others could see huge boosts, such as Ampharos' new dragon-typing. It's way too soon to make metagame judgements or speculation.

Second, Blaziken's design is not excessive at all. It's body coloration changes slightly, along with its feathers, and its wrist flames grow a bit. It didn't sprout wings like Absol or gain a HUGE bushy tail like Lucario.

Well.

I'm not sure I like this.

First, it seems like the beginning of some insane power creep (as if we needed any more).

Second, I am utterly disappointed that they're all just called "Mega-_______". That is such a pathetic lapse in creativity on gamefreak's part that I don't know where to begin.

Third, these new evolutions will only really be good for the metagame if Pokemon that already have two or three stages but have low stats (Butterfree, Venomoth, Masquerain, Sandslash, Ariados, Sunflora....etc.) get some too. We absolutely did not need mega forms of most of the Pokemon they revealed that will have them. New evolutionary stages usually means more stats; the only Pokemon there that could use more stats were Mawile and Absol, and they don't have a "normal" second stage, so they don't need mega evolutions, they just need second stages. Ampharos looks cool, and I happened to like it already, but it would have been just fine with a horizontal evolution, like Togekiss.

None of the other Pokemon needed to be any stronger. The more I think about it the more I think that this is mostly a gimmick to make the kiddies squeal over getting the "strongestest and bestiest pokeyman" all over again before tossing the game in a pile of dirty toys under their bed.

The right thing to do would be to balance the game not between types, but between individual Pokemon, so that the variety available for "higher level battling" will be greater. Giving a bunch of extra stages to already-overpowered Pokemon is not how to do that.

If things turn out to be as bad in terms of power creep and balance issues as in gen. V, I'll probably just stop playing.

So, what does everyone think of the new pokemon that were leaked? You know, NOT the mega forms.

Well, this didn't work eight and a half hours ago, lets see if it works now.

breh

強いだね
So, what does everyone think of the new pokemon that were leaked? You know, NOT the mega forms.

I'm not a big fan of the bunnymon (it's a bit... generic anime bunny-ish), we don't need a pikaclone, and gogoat's prevo is cute but not overwhelmingly original.

Well the baby Gogoats we thought we saw before are obviously confirmed.

The rabbit thing looks stupid in my opinion and I have no interest in it.

The little mouse thing, I can't help but feel has SOME sort of connection to Raichu/Pikachu. If Raichu wasn't a fully evolved pokemon I would say this thing is its baby form.

Rabbit bumface looks like a cross between Buneary and Stunky and I find that amusing. However I'm happy that we have yet another rabbit Pokemon. It's kind of cute and goofy. A much more 'western' looking rabbit compared to the others.

The new pika clone to me is really interesting because that new ability 'cheek pouches' sounds like something they'll give to other electric rodents, possibly Pachirisu, Emolga, Plusle/Minun and Pikachu. Perhaps it's a unique ability to help balance out these otherwise weak pokemon? Hmm.

Thank you for changing the subject.

The pre-evo of Gogoat is quite adorable, I wonder if preschoolers will be riding it in game.

The rabbit esque Pokémon is...a rabbit. I know people always complain about Pokémon ''Straying from its animal roots'' (MAGNEMITE) but it comes off as bland in its first stage.

And now, the new rodent. This rodent is the most Pikachu line like Pikachu clone. It literally looks like a Pikarai (Sakurai's personal Pokémon). I desire to know more about its background, particularly the antennas. I wonder if it's in the same genus as Pikachu.

And that's about it for my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)