VGC You're still with me, Sceptile.

This is the VGC team I want to take to my first ever proper tournement. Can you please help me improve it? Thanks :D

Team at a glance:
sceptile-mega.png
thundurus-therian.png
mienshao.png
heatran.png
landorus-therian.png
suicune.png

sceptile-mega.png

George (Sceptile-Mega) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Detect

I chose mega-sceptile because I loved its Lightning Rod ability - and it could be used in so many competitive ways. It was also the starter I chose when playing through OR, so I have a soft spot for it ;). Sceptiles job is to come and reck havoc, and when its paired with my Thundurus-T it can get its boosts and do even more damage. Its EV set couldn't be less interesting. Its running the 252 SpA to hit anything as hard as it can, so even if it does have to hit something with -2 SpA, it can still hit hard. Its got 180 Spe EVs (Timid) to outspeed Mega Lopunny which I consider the fastest threat in the meta. The rest is dumped into HP to make it take some powerful hits easier. Its got Leaf Storm because, its the most powerful grass move, (With exception to frenzy plant), and with the boosts from Thundurus, the drop in SpA doesn't make too much difference, (And I'll be switching out a bit with this sceptile anyway). Dragon Pulse as a mandatory STAB move, Hidden Power Fire because it punishes any mons that can send a STAB ice beam my way, and detect to keep momentum.

thundurus-therian.png

Peter (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 20 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

So, here's Sceptiles best friend. I chose this guy to support Sceptile with the Lightning rod, and he provides great coverage, and they provide good coverage for eachother. Except for the fact that they both share an Ice weakness, they can work well together. And considering that most ice beam users ect. are water types, then Sceptile can take them out. Im using the EV set provided by the smogon website, honestly I haven't seen the help in the set yet, but hey, better safe than sorry, and I feel like just running 4 / 252 /252 would be a bit to risky... Im running the discharge to obviously give Sceptile the boost while hitting both 'mons on the field. Psychic to hit the conkeldurr support that often goes with trick room teams that can threaten this team, and for coverage. Hidden Power Ice just because its kind of mandatory for Thundurus, and punishes common leads such as Lando-T. Protect to keep momentum.

mienshao.png

Ann (Mienshao) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Wide Guard

So... Speaking of 4 / 252 /252 , heres my Mienshao. When I had this team in mind, I was thinking of one thing : Check mega Kangaskan. What with it being the most used thing in the meta, and on pretty much 40% of teams, I need a check to it, so I used my favourite, Mienshao. This Mienshao is fast enough to outspeed Mega Kang and get a fake out off on it before it can protect or anything, then finish it up with High Jump Kick. Its got Inner Focus so it can't be fake outed by anything with 105+ base Spe fully invested. Its moveset isn't very interesting to pack a big punch and go as fast as possible. Fake Out to provide support, High jump Kick to check the Mega Kang as I mentioned earlier, Kncok off to provide more support and to help get rid of threatening choice scarfs that may threaten my Sceptile. And Wide Guard to stop Earthquakes that could be coming from my Lando and to provide support from rock slides onto my Thundurus-T.

heatran.png

Guy (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpA / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Protect

So, time to use a bit more of a normal 'mon. I noticed that we had a bit of a weakness to fairy, and no fire STAB to hit mons like ferro and scizor. So, what else but Heatran. Heatran is supposed to take alot of special hits such as Hyper Voice, ect. . I cant exactly remember what its EV spread is built to do, but I recall its supposed to be-able to live scalds from certain 'mons, with the rest dumped into SpA. Its got Heat-Wave because, I mean, C'mon. Flash Canon for dual stab, and substitute, because if I can get it up in the right situation, then Heatran can reck shop. Protect to keep momentum and to help with the leftovers substitute.

suicune.png

Francine (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 32 SpA / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Snarl
- Protect

So, here I realised that I had not speed control on this team, and I didn't have too much to kill Mega-Mance well, so I went for Suicune. Its holding the sitrus to make it survive for way longer, my EV spread I built ages ago, but I believe its built to survive most Thundurus's Thunderbolts, take out most dragon-flying types such as Salamance with an ice beam (Though I am running Icy Wind, but it still does good damage), and the rest is put into defence. I am running Scald, to help provide coverage with my team, and hey, a burn is always nice! Icy Wind for speed control and so it wont be shut own my taunt. Snarl to cripple Special Attackers that run ramped in the meta such as other Suicunes and Amoongus.

landorus-therian.png

Stan (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower

I need one last pokemon. I need a speedy rock slider. I need an earthquaker. I think I need Landorus-T. Landorus-T can come in and destroy everything I dont have covered. He's got the choice scarf to make him go extremely fast, and he's got full investment in Atk and Spe because honestly I prefer speedy Lando much more than bulky Lando. His set is pretty standard, Rock Slide to take out some of those annoying Flying types such as Talonflame and Charizard that we see alot (Also its the best move in the game), Earthquake because of the great synergy with my Thundurus, (Who can discharge without hurting this little guy), U-turn for switching and stuff, and Superpower to take out threats of my team such as the Kang that Mienshao usually covers, but also others such as Tyranitars and Bisharps.

So, thanks for having a look at my team! Heres the import and some threats that I've found, any suggestions to help me out here would be much appreciated, many thanks!

Ice Beaming Suicune
Trick Room
Thundurus Swagger/T-Wave
Rage Powder/Follow Me
Sableye (Prankster)

Peter (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 20 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Ann (Mienshao) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Wide Guard

George (Sceptile-Mega) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Detect

Guy (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpA / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Protect

Francine (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 32 SpA / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Snarl
- Protect

Stan (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower

Discharge isn't my cup of tea, but if it works for you, go ahead.

Use focus blast>hp fire on sceptile: it hits steels and kanga harder. It doesn't look like you care about accuracy because you're using hjk mienshao.

For thundy, a change i'd make is hp flying>psychic, as you just plain cover more things. The hp ice you lost isn't 100% necessary, given your other lando checks. It could be replaced by volt switch, as having discharge be your only electric move is really inhibiting and makes you far more predictable.

You said you were weak to pranksters and trick room. I think terrakion does the same things mienshao does, while also having a reliable fighting move, tflame neutrality, and taunt and quick guard.
Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Taunt
- Quick Guard

Back