VGC VGC First Team - July 1st

Hello All.

My first attempt at a VGC team. Looking to get into this with the launch on July 1st. I am working currently on getting a shiny butterfree but the rest of the team is in place minus hyper training. I have not tested this team yet, but I am looking for some feedback. The thought process was to spread status with butterfree and hit really hard with hex gengar. Rillaboom is just a monster and allows me to reset terrain/have a priority mon to help against tr. The rest of the team complements my core defensively and can (hopefully) deal with prominent threats in this metagame.

Gengar (g-max) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Protect

This mon is fast for the format and hits really hard with hex. The thought process is to be able to hex whatever butterfree sleeps or gmax moves to spread status. Taunt is to prevent set-up mons/tanks from stalling this out. G-MAX is to trap sleeping mons if needed and annihilate them. Protect is just crucial with sash for longevity. Spread is standard for max speed and max attack. I thought about going chandlure here to hit even harder, but I like gengar more.

Butterfree (g-max) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Compound Eyes
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Pollen Puff
- Giga Drain

The other mon in my core. Sleep Powder with compound eyes sleeps 97% of the time. Hurricane with compound to hit really hard or get speed in gmax. Pollen Puff can be used to heal or deal damage, and if butterfree is in the back, then can support my bulkier sweepers. Giga Drain for coverage. I like running scarf to outspeed everything but dragapult non-boosted.

Rillaboom (g-max) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Priority move to help against tr or faster mons. Wood Hammer to crush any threats glide cannot. Knock-off and u-turn for pure utility. Grassy surge can help set terrain against tr with indeedee. Choice band to clobber things.

Milotic (F) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

Not that I'm super weak against intimidate, but extra insurance against it. Also, competitive can proc if opponent uses max moves that lower stats or speed control moves. Icy Wind for speed control. Recover and protect for longevity. Not sold on grassy seed here, but I see some synergy with rillaboom or gmax butterfree to be able to proc this. Speed is specifically made to outspeed urshifu at -1.

Rhyperior (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
Level: 50
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 SpD
Adamant Nature
- High Horsepower
-Stone edge
-hammer arm
-fire punch

A slightly anti TR mon plus can hit extremely hard. It complements butterfree 100% defensivley. 4 attacking moves to be able to cover a lot. Spread is made to be able to take special hits a little better to proc weakness policy.

Hydreigon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse

Psychic hurts bad on gengar. Lets me have a switch in and setup sweeper next to butterfree if needed. This mon im not 100 percent sold on.

Looking for some great feedback. Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited:
Back