ORAS Ubers Unlucky You: Mega Gengar

Introduction: Mega Gengar. Back in Gold and Silver, the 2nd pokemon I ever caught was a Gastly in Sprout Tower. That gastly evolved into a Haunter then later a Gengar. Gengar has only gotten better and better and that remains true with its mega evolution. Able to trap almost anything and reliably assassinate key threats in the enemy team, this ghost can quickly become the definition of fear.

If played correctly, this thing is a nightmare. Before Mega evolving, Gengar has a ground immunity, which can be useful. After mega evolving Gengar can outrun almost anything, and can pick off weakened threats, or can kamikaze a threat. Shadowball for STAB and isn't resisted by much in ubers. Sludge Wave kills fairies and can also hit for neutral damage. Taunt can stop foes from setting up on gengar, forcing it to attack. Destiny Bond allows the foe to faint when it delivers the final blow to gengar. This enables Gengar to take out pretty much anything as long as it goes first

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Yveltal, the bird of destruction..or is it death? Whatever, its a dark type that does damage, whic gengar appreciates. Dark Aura and black glasses boosts all dark type moves. Sucker punch bypasses speed and hits with 80 power. dark pulse punches holes in teams. Oblivion Wing gets STAB and allows Yveltal to heal while heat wave hits steels. Thinking about replacing it with u-turn to switch to gengar to trap things.

Yveltal @ Black Glasses
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Mild Nature
- Heat Wave/ U-Turn
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing

Switching into Ho-oh is never really fun. Burns lower attack and hurt you ever turn. Choice Band has Ho-ho hitting with real strength. And regenerator keeps health high. Brave Bird has recoil but hits as its strongest move. Sacred fire has a 50% burn chance which can shut down some sweepers. earthquake hits steels and has good coverage. Sleep Talk is to catch Darkrai off guard and punish a dark void. Also lets Ho-oh switch moves while sleeping. Could switch out Band for life orb and sleep talk for recover.
Ho-Oh @ Choice Band/ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk/ Recover

Latias can beat groudon-primal, support the team, and give 1 team member a 2nd chance with Healing Wish. Draco is basically a nuke that not many pokemon can take repeated hits. Psyshock hits the physical side and makes Latias harder to wall. Defog clears hazzards and Healing Wish brings ba team mate back into the fight for the cost of Latias itself.

Latias Soul Dew Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

This thing is on every team, and for good reason. 1 weakness, hits hard, hard to kill. Stealth Rocks is the best hazard in the game. Huts switch-ins. Blades is Groudon's strongest STAB move. Lava plume doesn't hit phyically and has a 30% chance to burn. Further boosted by Desolate land. Stone Edge hits flying types hard. A change I can think of is using
  • 252 HP
  • 56 Def
  • 200 SpD
  • Relaxed Nature
May be a better fit.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Stone Edge

The team Anchor. Xerneas is the best Fairy in the game hitting hard without any boosts. Geomancy is terrifying. With power herb its special attack, special defense, and speed double in 1 turn. After that, if a team is un-prepared, it can run through entire teams. Moonblast is boosted by STAB, Fairy Aura, and has good coverage. Thunder hits Ho-oh which can check Xerneas. Focus Blast is for coverage and for Dialgia, which is also a threat.
If Focus Blast doesn't get more use(Mostly Moonblast is enough) may replace with Aromatherapy.
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast/ Aromatherapy

So that's the team. Any suggestions, gripes, concerns? Open for anything.

Hi 95mylesanhour. If you don´t mind i have some suggestions to you in order to improve your team :)

-Firstly i suggest you the next Yveltal set:

Yveltal @ Rocky Helmet
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Toxic
- Roost

This is a more defensive set, but even better than the offensive one. It can defeat Extreme Killer Arceus and Primal Groudon without any problem due to it's defensive stat and Rocky Helmet. Foul play deals a lot of damage to them. Toxic+Roost can make your Yveltal more durable in battle and allows you to wall and defeat other threats and walls like Lugia, Hooh and other Arceus Formes.

-Secondly, Groudon with the relaxed nature is better than naughty because you improve it's bulky stats which your team i think it lacks a bit. You can give him Roar if you want to put set up pokemon away, like Dragon Dance Mega Ray, other set up groudons, ExtremeKiller Arceus and Geomancy Xerneas.

Just a few suggestions, i hope i could help you :)

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
Hi n_n this is a pretty nice team that seems to cover most threats. There aren't many changes that can be made due to the team's structure, so I will only suggest some changes that will make the team much more solid.

Firstly, the set you're using on Mega Gengar used to be good back in XY, but it isn't much effective now. So i suggest you to use a Focus Blast over Sludge Wave and Protect over Taunt. Focus Blast is used over Sludge Wave now, as it helps vs Tyranitar, Arceus-Normal, Dialga, Ferrothorn etc, which otherwise, can be problematic for Mega Gengar. Protect is to make sure Gengar safely mega evolves, as these days Sd Arceus mostly runs jolly nature to outspeed regular Gengar, so Protect helps a lot in that situation.
Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Next up is Yveltal. I suggest you to use Knock Off instead of Heat Wave / U-Turn. Knock Off is really good right now as it can 2HKO Ho-oh, does nice damage to incoming Klefki. It's also very useful vs Power Herb Xerneas in some situations.
Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

With these EVs, Yveltal will outspeed support Arceus forms with little speed investment, which is cool. 252 EVs in special attack and Rash nature will help a lot in wallbreaking. Rest of the EVs are placed into attack for powering up Knock Off and Sucker Punch. Also with Rash Nature, Yveltal will be able to tank an Adamant Stone Edge from Primal Groudon and Adamant Double Edge from Salamence-mega at full which is very useful.

As for Latias, I suggest you to use Roost instead of Healing Wish and Grass Knot instead of Psyshock. Roost is must on Latias, as without it, Latias can be taken out easily. Roost helps Latias a lot in dealing with Primal kyogre along with Primal Groudon and also helps with the Defog role. Grass Knot is used over Psyshock mostly these days, as it helps against stuff like tyranitar, Arceus-water, Arceus-Rock etc and can also soft check Arceus-Ground which is really cool.
Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Grass Knot

176 Speed EVs and a Timid nature are used to ensure that Latias is faster than Pokemon with base 100 Speed, such as Palkia and Mega Kangaskhan. 120 Special Attack EVs allow Latias to 2HKO offensive and defensive variants of Primal Kyogre with Grass Knot and 2HKOes Primal Groudon that lack significant Special Defense investment. All other investment for this set goes into HP, allowing Latias to escape the 2HKO from Primal Kyogre's Ice Beam.

Next up is Primal Groudon. I suggest you to use Thunder Wave instead of Lava Plume and Rock Slide over Stone Edge. While Lava Plume is a really solid move on Primal Groudon, Thunder Wave fits much better in this team. Thunder Wave helps against stuff that give Primal Groudon such as Lati@s, Arceus-Water, Arceus-Dragon, Yveltal etc. Rock Slide is used over Stone Edge as it's more accurate and has a nice secondary effect. Also Rock Slide pairs really well with Thunder Wave.
Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave

With these EVs, Primal Groudon will always survive a boosted Focus Blast from Geomancy Xerneas after Stealth Rock damage and two layers of Spikes. It also avoids the 2HKO from Primal Kyogre's Ice Beam and Zekrom's Outrage.

Lastly, I suggest you to use Arceus-Rock instead of Xerneas. This team is pretty weak to Salamence-mega (once it sets up), Ho-oh, Yveltal. Arceus-Rock patches up all those weaknesses. Will-O-Wisp helps vs steel and ground types. Recover is to make sure Arceus-Rock stays for as long as possible. Calm Mind helps give Arceus-Rock more of an offensive presence
Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Judgment

252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Arceus-Rock to beat relevant Pokemon with base 110 Speed and tie with opposing maximum Speed Arceus and Salamence-mega. 248 HP EVs are used to increase Arceus-Rock's overall bulk, making it easier to set up Calm Mind and tank special attacks once set up. The remaining 8 EVs are used to boost Special Attack.

Good luck n_n

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, Level 56 already gave you a good rate so I'll reinforce some of those suggestions and offer some new stuff as well.

My first concern with this team is how it handles EKiller. The Mega Gengar moveset, the Primal Groudon set + EVs, and the slashing on Ho-Oh and Yveltal also deserve some attention. As Level 56 pointed out, the most efficient Mega Gengar set has shifted away from Taunt and towards utilizing Protect and Focus Blast. This proposed change also makes you stronger against EKiller because you no longer have to bank on being faster than the Arceus prior to Mega Evolution. This is enough to cover this threat, although it would be nice to have a secondary check for Swords Dance Arceus. I don't think defensive Yveltal works well with the sort of team you're trying to build since several of your sets are offensively inclined. Level 56's Arceus-Rock suggestion does provide a secondary EKiller check for this team while successfully fitting an Arceus.

Adding an offensive Arceus-Fairy over Xerneas is an idea I had to still cover many of the same things that Arceus-Rock covers while also retaining a Fairy-type. I feel that this set fits well with the intent of this team and can break down standard Ho-Oh cores due to how this Arceus-Fairy set and Yveltal matchup against them. The Arceus-Fairy set is also able to check Mega Salamence and Yveltal while not being weak to Ho-Oh since it finds room to run Stone Edge. One advantage of retaining the Fairy-type is that you're much better off against offensive Dragon-types such as Latios than the team would be with Arceus-Rock. While the team isn't especially weak to Darkrai running Arceus-Rock in this position (CB Ho-Oh, Mega Gengar) having Arceus-Fairy here provides more options. This arrangement also has one less Ground weaknesses. That is not to say that Arceus-Fairy is definitively better here however, since Arceus-Rock provides a secondary check to EKiller and is a much better switch-in to Ho-Oh.

The Primal Groudon EV spread isn't efficient and Lava Plume doesn't match the EV spread you're running. The EV spread should be something along the lines of 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe which retains Primal Groudon's offensive capabilities while meeting several critical defensive benchmarks. The added Speed can potentially allow Primal Groudon to be played more aggressively and hits some concrete benchmarks (has creep against 90s too). If you want a Fire-type move on this Primal Groudon it makes more sense to run Fire Punch since the Attack investment is already there. Dragon Tail is also a fine choice, especially if this team decides to run Arceus-Rock instead of Arceus-Fairy (punish offensive Dragon switch-ins better).

I second running Knock Off over Heat Wave / U-Turn on Yveltal. I think U-Turn is only really needed when you're Scarf or maybe running LO Yveltal on HO. I think this Yveltal wants to focus much more on breaking down BO / Balance teams which is what Knock Off is better for. I think the Yveltal EV spread could also be improved and that the nature should be Rash. Ho-Oh should have Sleep Talk unslashed and should just run a Choice Band. I think a major reason why you'd run Latias is for Healing Wish, although since it needs to function as your Defogger you don't really have room for the move. I think the best bet here is to just run a standard Defog Latios.

Summary:
- Run Protect over Taunt and Focus Blast over Sludge Wave on Mega Gengar
- Change Xerneas to this Arceus-Rock set
Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Judgment
or this Arceus-Fairy set
Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Stone Edge
- Judgment
- Change the Primal Groudon EV spread to 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe / Adamant
- Run Fire Punch or Dragon Tail over Lava Plume on Primal Groudon
- Change Heat Wave / U-Turn on Yveltal to Knock Off
- Run Sleep Talk with a Choice Band on Ho-Oh
- Run this Latios over Latias
Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Final Team:

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Stone Edge
- Judgment

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Latios @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)