Things that every team should have.

Recently, I have been revising my teams to meet my new standards and, as a result, I have been preforming better and winning more often. I can attribute this to the fact that I have identified things (types of poke's, types of attacks, etc.) that I really can't afford to leave out in any of my teams. This leaves me with a question:

In your opinion, what sorts of things do you always include in your teams, and why?

I don't mean things like Walls and Sweepers, I mean things like making sure that you have Will-O-Wisp somewhere to hurt physical sweepers, or something along those lines.
As for me, my teams ALWAYS have: a sleeping move, a priority move, a defensive Steel type, immunities to common types, sometimes a phazer, sometimes a spiker, and a ReSTalker/Status Absorber.

your turn.

Priority moves are a must, in my opinion. I use a Scarf Flygon, and I'll bring it for revenge killing on Garchomp/Gengar. But, I can never be too sure that one of them won't be scarfed themselves.

Not only that, but it helps against the likes of Focus Sash/Endure Pokemon. Which I find most teams usually have one of.

And never-miss moves are useful too. With all the weather running around, Snow Cloak/Sand Veil being abused occasionally, it's handy to have a solid never-miss move (Aura Sphere, hello) to count on.

My two cents.

-Something with a ground immunity. In general, I like to have as many pokes with immunities as possible, because I play a switch-heavy game - it just so happens that ground is fairly essential as immunities go.

-Something that can absorb status. I'd prefer my sweepers to not be shut down by WoW/T-wave.

-Something with knock off. Messes up combat math, and has the potential to mangle optimized pokemon. Quite useful on a switch.

-A phazer.

"The Core" -- A Core is a set of 1, 2, or 3 pokemon who can win the game for you against an unprepared team. DD Gyarados or BellyZard, Abomasnow + Walrein, Skarm/Bliss (in Adv anyway) and so forth.

And from the core, the only goal for the rest of your team is to set up a situation where the core can:
A. Switch in
B. Set up (if necessary)
C. Win

So that means getting rid of the counters to your core, or immobilizing your counters. Kill the bulky water that is blocking DD Gyarados. Kill the spinner and set up the T. Spikes in Walrein's case, destroy the wall breakers and stall out with Blissey / Skarm.

I find that a Rapid Spinner is neccessary, especially since more and more Toxic Spikers are popping up, and that tons of good Pokemon are weak to SR. I attribute the increase of Toxic Spikes to the increase of stall teams.

I also found that a Heracross counter is almost necessary. If you don't have one, then you're in huge trouble, as it can rip through many teams. Most Hera counters can counter tons of other good stuff as well, like Breloom.

Last, I think that it's important to have as many immunities as possible. Nuff said, self explanatory.

First off, you always have to put your Pokemon types into consideration for practically any team that you make. I find Marriland's Team Builder to be a decent guideline in that respect. (General rule I like to use: NEVER use a team with 3 Pokemon weak to one type without 2 Pokemon with 4x-resistance / immunity to that type!)

Secondly, I've taken a step back to look at the metagame and see what kinds of attacks are necessary. Here's what I've compiled, so far:

-Physical Fighting attack to take on Blissey. If there's anything I've learned from my first standard team (which still had some success), it's that you really need this in order to deal with that pink bitch.
>>It would also help to have a Special Fighting attack (Aura Sphere, usually) or an Explosion as a backup plan. Every plan A MUST come with a plan B in terms of countering certain Pokemon; many battlers are already aware of this. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst."

-Special Ice attack for all the Dragons. Salamence is the main concern here, but it's worth noting that Garchomp has a lower base Special Defense than Defense.
>>Ice Shard works nicely as backup and fills the typical desire for a priority move, though I suppose Sucker Punch could work, too. More on that later.

-Special Electric attack for Gyarados. Self-explanatory, but make sure to scout for Electivire, first.
>>A physical Electric attack on something that can switch in is also an option. Stone Edge could also be useful.

-Special Grass attack for Swampert and the like. Grass Knot is usually preferred as it hits Tyranitar and Rhyperior harder than Energy Ball. (Swampert is hit for the same damage.)
>>A Special Water attack would also help, but the other needs above mostly cover those threats, too, as well as a...

-Ground attack. Earthquake and Earth Power are the only ones to really consider and is mainly specifically used for Heatran, though it also covers several other threats as noted above.
>>Again, if you're that worried about Heatran, go ahead and use a Water attack, as well.

-Special Fire attack for Steel Pokemon. Mainly for Bronzong and Forretress, but Skarmory is also hit hard, as well as Magnezone. Oh, how I wished that my first standard team had a Fire attack... :(

-Flying attack for Heracross; probably a Physical one as Heracross has a lower base Defense. This is a logical choice if you're using Gliscor as a Heracross counter--as most would say you should consider.
>>May be covered by the Fire attack, but most STAB users will have to worry about Stone Edge and Heatran has Close Combat to be concerned about.

-Dark attack for Cresselia and Ghosts. The likes of Tyranitar, Weavile, and Heracross will likely carry Pursuit/Crunch/Night Slash for this purpose. Others like Dugtrio and Spiritomb prefer Sucker Punch (which, as stated earlier, also fills the desire for a priority move). Others still also have access to Dark Pulse, if that suits your fancy.
>>Perhaps Shadow Ball could also help to this end. Several Pokemon like running the Shadow Ball/Hidden Power [Fighting] combo that nothing currently resists.

That's just what I believe is necessary for any team based on my experience and our Tier list. Other options to consider include:

-Passive forms of damage: Stealth Rock, Spikes, Sandstorm, and Hail are among this group. With stall-based teams seemingly on the rise (I have not battled in a while, I will admit.), this is becoming more of an attractive option. It also does its job of ruining Sash users. My first standard team, for example, employed Stealth Rock to damage opponents while forcing switches.

-Rapid Spin. If you use several Pokemon that are hindered by Spikes/Stealth Rock, a Spinner can come in handy. I, personally, prefer Donphan as a Spinner, but Starmie could also Spin effectively. As far as I'm concerned, Forretress just has too much to do... :(

...and that's all just on the Attacks side. Anything else I employ mainly depends on the type of team I use.

It's my opinion, though, and you don't necessarily need EVERYTHING I listed to succeed. Still, the more threats you can account for, the better your team will be IMO.

-Physical Fighting attack to take on Blissey. If there's anything I've learned from my first standard team (which still had some success), it's that you really need this in order to deal with that pink bitch.
>>It would also help to have a Special Fighting attack (Aura Sphere, usually) or an Explosion as a backup plan. Every plan A MUST come with a plan B in terms of countering certain Pokemon; many battlers are already aware of this. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst."

I find that sub-seeding works great vs Blissey. Sub blocks paralysis, and Blissey restores like 30% of your health each turn due to its massive HP. :-) Granted, my blissey killer is a sub/seed/puncher who starts up passive forms of damage (Abomasnow), so that takes care of a lot of things on your list... (including physical fighting attack user)

I can't really think of anything that's absolutely required for a team to win. A spinner, phazer, reliable counters to common metagame threats, and things like that are all helpful to have on a team, but just because a team has a spinner, a phazer, and ways of countering the most common threats doesn't mean it's a good team. It's more important to have a specific battle plan that you're trying to pull off.

One thing that's getting more and more important, though, is having a steel type that can take hits from the physical side well. The fact that CBchomp can 2HKO many of his bulky non-steel counters with outrage (For example, Vaporeon will always be 2HKO'd, Slowbro has about a 2/3 chance of being 2HKO'd, Hippodown just barely has a chance of being 2HKO'd but needs to watch out for spikes) makes it an extremely potent threat. Of course, there are other ways of handling it, like revenge killers, but eh.

I can't really think of anything that's absolutely required for a team to win.

i realize that, but many people have little things that they always find a way to squeeze into their teams (some are more quirky than others). obviously, you can beat tons of people without the likes of a rapid spinner and a focus sasher, but some people may be particularly fond of these things. thats all.
this thread was just meant to let people see others thoughts on team building in a non-obtrusive way.

Things my teams can't live without:
1. A lead killer (usually ScarfCham). Leads are there to set up or cripple you somehow, so cripple the leads.
2. A Special pokémon that can take on a Blissey. MS anything (MS-Dos and Pressure help drain away Softboiled PP), 101 Sub Jirachi, etc.
3. Surprises. Pokémon is a mind game in its entirely, being unpredictable and even a bit wayward WILL win you the battle. So many setups rely on doing something on the switch, occasionally not switching can cripple the opponent's strategy.

I find my teams to work best if they have

Rapid spinner
SpikeRocker
Walls with instant recov
Wish support
slow U-Turns
Something to deal with blissey and most OU threats

First off, you always have to put your Pokemon types into consideration for practically any team that you make.
I actually usually find this is completely neglectable until the very FINAL stage of team building. Usually if you have a solid strategy to begin with type issues come into play very little. I know that I've made Mono-type teams which operate perfectly against OU's every bit as much as my normal teams because I stuck to a game plan.

Stealth Rock is a must on any team I use. Sacrificing just one damaging attack for the potential for monster hurt later in the game.

A few other things that are a must on any team I make:
-Psychic, Ice, and EQ resist.
-Status, usually Burn.
-A Wisher, or some other sort of cleric.
-A Rapid Spinner (didn't realize how scary Stealth Rocks and Spikes are until you've faced a full field of them).
-A pokemon who's type allows it to switch in on almost anything (like Psychic/Steel Metagross, Steel/Bug Scizor, Swampert, or ghost).

Usually, I have something with SR, a sweeper or a type of revenge killer. Also, switch inns to common walls, good type resistances and something to break set-ups (cmcune, curselax, cursemiltank, cmraikou, etc.) Other then that, the rest of the team is there to support your sweeper or wear the opponent down depending on the type of team.

Well, I don't play anything outside of UU, but basically, a team without any sort of wall usually dies.

Oh yeah, and you NEED a fight move to deal with Blissey. (stupid @^%$@*& pink thing!!) My brother always CM passes to Octillery, only to egt owned by blissey, and I told him to put Return or even rock blast on it, but did he listen? Noooooooo...

So yeah. You need walls, and you need an anti-blissey.

i tihnk the biggest thing a team needs is a pokemon that is able to switch in on blissey and be not affected by it at all. without one of these, any team dies to blissey instantly

TBH to make in on MY team, all you have to do is have 320+ stat in either attack or special attack and at least 303 speed, unless your name is Tyranitar, in which case I'd still probably slap a Scarf on. Who cares if I have no immunities and can't take a hit worth shit, cause chances are, most teams, they have a lot less offense and still can't take my hits worth shit.

"The Core" -- A Core is a set of 1, 2, or 3 pokemon who can win the game for you against an unprepared team. DD Gyarados or BellyZard, Abomasnow + Walrein, Skarm/Bliss (in Adv anyway) and so forth.

And from the core, the only goal for the rest of your team is to set up a situation where the core can:
A. Switch in
B. Set up (if necessary)
C. Win

So that means getting rid of the counters to your core, or immobilizing your counters. Kill the bulky water that is blocking DD Gyarados. Kill the spinner and set up the T. Spikes in Walrein's case, destroy the wall breakers and stall out with Blissey / Skarm.
Yes, I feel the same way. A team has a core, and the rest supports that core. Wee. Like Poliwrath/ Raikou/ Sceptile.

Usually I feel that what every team should have is quite simple.

1) A good starter. One that can counter or stop the majority of starters (some random examples: ScarfGar, Weavile, Crobat (<- Best... starter... evar), Yanmega, Scarfed Froslass are some excellent examples).

2) Usually a good Physical and Special Sweeper. The Physical ones need to take on things like Weezing, Gliscor, and Cresselia. Special ones need to take on Blissey, Cresselia, etc. They also need to take on things like Cradily, etc.

3) Starmie or a bulky water is a must. Lately, I've been seeing how monstrous a SD Garchomp can really be with Outrage. That thing shits on Steels pretty well too. Let's not forget that they should be able to counter idiotic things like Dragons and Gyarados.

Starmie is an excellent Pokemon to eat things and Recover damage, plus it is very fast. Vaporeon can come in on Water attacks and Wish-pass. Real men use Lanturn.

I think that's what I follow. A Choice Bander, Scarfer, or Specs variant can also be considered on having if you feel that there's no time to set up.

A Phazer and SR user is a must for my teams. They seem to vital to ignore. U-Turners also seem to be nice add ons that are hard to turn a blind eye to.

There's no particular "need" for status absorption as long as the entire team isn't crippled by it. Starmie and Blissey do well with Natural Cure, Breloom will usually status itself, Heracross and friends can take advantage of it with Guts, and so on. You don't need any specific pokémon to "absorb status," though you can build your team that way if you wish (and you're careful playing).

Sleeper, at least one Ground immunity, something to eat Draco Meteor (Blissey or a Steel), Stealth Rock. Sleep clause exists for a reason. Earthquake is too strong and neutral in general to let your opponent abuse it freely. Meteor is a bigger worry than Outrage because stout physical pokémon (Gliscor, Hippowdon, Bold Cresselia) can absorb Outrage easier and it locks you into your attack. Stealth Rock is just broken good at item scouting.

And never-miss moves are useful too. With all the weather running around, Snow Cloak/Sand Veil being abused occasionally, it's handy to have a solid never-miss move (Aura Sphere, hello) to count on.

Too bad Aura Sphere is the only one with usable power, and you're only getting that on Togekiss or Lucario. :[

Back