Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Kyurem suspect now up]

I was taking Raging Bolt very lightly until I loaded up the standard OU rain team and realised I auto lose to it in every 2nd game lmao

That priority electric move is nuts on the calm mind set
It's (extremely) early days, rain teams seem to now be using AV Archaludon to cover for electric/grass types, could try it out and see, seems to be tailor made for rain with its signature move.

guys really like we all know terapagos is not going to stay in the tier lets all just click the funny shiny buttons for half a day more and then we ban it

that being said, the way stellar is implemented, i think it can be extremely problematic on serp and enam. is the council thinking on a stellar type ban or is the focus now just to clean the OP mons and then we discuss abt tera?

tera or not, serp and enam are gonna be top tier. it would suck to lose them just bc of mechanics

I've been playing around on the ladder and have had a lot of success using araquanid. Running a sash pretty much guarantees that at worst you get webs up and at best you scare out their lead, get webs, then if you're lucky, get a mirror coat off. Webs are very potent rn and I feel like as long as you play it smartly it can be very good.

guys really like we all know terapagos is not going to stay in the tier lets all just click the funny shiny buttons for half a day more and then we ban it

that being said, the way stellar is implemented, i think it can be extremely problematic on serp and enam. is the council thinking on a stellar type ban or is the focus now just to clean the OP mons and then we discuss abt tera?

tera or not, serp and enam are gonna be top tier. it would suck to lose them just bc of mechanics
Stellar would have to prove itself broken on more than one mon in order to get the boot, similar to how at the start of the generation Houndstone was banned, but when HOME came out and we got Basculegion, Last Respects was banned since it had multiple users it was broken on. I don't think Serperior is going to be broken solely because of Stellar, that thing is extremely problematic either way. Tera Fire is enough.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Terapagos' use of its "Tera" mechanic is too different to how the actual Tera mechanic functions for this to be comparable, but until that tiering policy gets updated to reflect my opinion that's how it'll work.

Stellar would have to prove itself broken on more than one mon in order to get the boot, similar to how at the start of the generation Houndstone was banned, but when HOME came out and we got Basculegion, Last Respects was banned since it had multiple users it was broken on. I don't think Serperior is going to be broken solely because of Stellar, that thing is extremely problematic either way. Tera Fire is enough.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Terapagos' use of its "Tera" mechanic is too different to how the actual Tera mechanic functions for this to be comparable, but until that tiering policy gets updated to reflect my opinion that's how it'll work.

Stellar is only really good in Terapagos and good in contrary mons, in other mons is just a very niche strategy, might help add/improve some coverage to some mons maybe?

It still seems suboptimal compared to normal tera. Changing defensive tiping is huge, and can totally flip match ups, giving that up isnt easy.

Good to see that :cobalion: is so fake that is doesn't even deserve a mention :P also gouging fire can effectively use heat crash because it is a chonker; weighing in at 1300.7 lbs or 590kg. imo iron crown is pretty ass cuz it's mid overall, but ig u could go with scarf, double dance (pick from agility, cm, or id), and u could also use booster, however, crown has 0 coverage.
Yeah, I haven't used crown yet, seems pretty underwhelming, but its signature move seems neat. Heat crash Gouging fire sounds cool, didn't realize it was that thicc

I think Stellar type on its own has potential as a Kingambit answer.
When Kingambit Teras, you can punish it with Tera Stellar Tera Blast, which works with all Teras. It seems to work great as an anti-defensive tera option as its type effectiveness hinges on whether Pokemon Teras and not their actual typing.

Regarding Terapagos, I agree that it'd probably be better suited for a Policy Review thread than here, given the implications of such a complex ban and broader discussions about the changing nature of Pokemon mechanics and how tiering policy should change with that.

Aside from that, it'll be interesting to see if Stellar Terastalization finds use outside of Terapagos and maybe Serperior (which seems kinda like a noob trap akin to Elec Tera Air Balloon Shedinja at a glance, but I haven't used it too much). There are a lot of really good sweepers that abuse Tera and it'd be interesting to see if balance/BO teams could have a Stellar user as an out vs some of those. Of course, I don't think it'd be too good against a terad endgame Gambit, as you're sacrificing your Dark resistance if you have one, but it's possible.

imo iron crown is pretty ass cuz it's mid overall,

its pretty good what? stored power sets, psychic terrain teams, booster energy anti lead sets, specs espcially does crazy damage and it is great into relevant mons like serperior, valiant, enamorous and more.

The meta is just out, hasnt even settled and some ppl already argueing about quick banning new stuff.

Hope we can let the meta develop over 1-2 weeks before banning shit. Specially if there is nothing batlantly broken like Regieleki was. Hell stuff obviously broken like Iron Bundle & ChiYu took a bit to ban

the meta isn't gonna settle, not in any healthy way, while blatantly broken shit is here. terapagos is such a thing and we've already been seeing many games devolve into calm mind wars between two and hoping one crits the other. it has far too little counterplay. Also lol @ using bundle and chiyu. bundle was a mere week.

Been messing with a BO team with Sub Disable Darkrai. It feels good. Darkrai punishes teams hard enough it forces switches and sub disable can go to town. Found it works pretty good on spikes stacking gliscor balance.

Have you tried using it on or encountered it on with of those mons? It seems fraudulent, having to commit your Tera for a boost that, in serperior's case, is worse than your leaf storm boost? I guess unresisted Tera blast isn't bad. Enam especially I'm like how are you fitting this move and why is it better than a standard Calm Mind set?

Have you tried using it on or encountered it on with of those mons? It seems fraudulent, having to commit your Tera for a boost that, in serperior's case, is worse than your leaf storm boost? I guess unresisted Tera blast isn't bad. Enam especially I'm like how are you fitting this move and why is it better than a standard Calm Mind set?
I've used it on iron boulder and it can sometimes get it kills that it wouldn't normally get. It's great on pokemon that just need a little more power to get through one pokemon, while not needing to have the boost permanently.

the meta isn't gonna settle, not in any healthy way, while blatantly broken shit is here. terapagos is such a thing and we've already been seeing many games devolve into calm mind wars between two and hoping one crits the other. it has far too little counterplay. Also lol @ using bundle and chiyu. bundle was a mere week.

There are plenty of ways to check and counter Terapagos.

For one, CM latias totally destroys it.

So, day 1 quick thoughts

terapagos is broken, EXCEPT when I use it, then it literally dies to lack of coverage, damage, speed, or gets crit

future terrakion is like the ugliest ass motherfucking bitch mon in this DLC, lmaooooo, and overall, its good, but it has given me little to no trouble

past raikou is mid, have not seen a single thunderclap clapping slampigs, kingambit stays king

past entei is even more mid, gets walled by tusk, and both are hard to fit in considering walking wake is MANDATORY on sun

skyscraper thingy, is bulky as fuck, MorGOAT did a great explanation on what this thing can do and I think he can be considered the leader of the city skylines revolution

Venusaur is the absolute best sun related grass type you can add, its bulkier than liligant-h, does not have a u-turn fear like bonnet, poison typing makes it free vs gliscor, clod and donzo, earth power, giga drain, weather ball, its so fucking fun to use, and I can see it staying with that niche

blaziken i have been using air balloon on it with 2 moves sd protect and its good, the counter play is sack 2 mons to cc and let the chicken man out

excadrill I thought it was gonna be ass but hits deceptively hard with SD, and chipping tusk is not hard to do

darkrai feels like one of the mons of all time, I have lost to it mostly due to dark pulses flinches

kyurem

feraligatr is super fun, life orb sheer force liquidation has very few walls, it provides 0 defensive utility tho

gliscor he keeps doing what he does best, is flying under the radar but im thinking its gonna be fine

serperior is broken, glares your entire team, sub seeds and you cant do jack shit about it, or just use tera blast with ACTUAL TEAM SUPPORT

volcarona, havent seen a single one, neither meowscarada, and only saw one weavile that got stuffed by sun

Time to dump my day 1 teams

https://pokepast.es/8b271705c66df168 dogshit webs :ribombee: :feraligatr: :gholdengo: :terapagos: :great tusk: :kingambit:
my first team and its dog shit, feraligatr iss fun tho, ill give you that, but dont use the team

https://pokepast.es/315d3cc44fbde4b0 familly guy looking ass team :deoxys-speed: :darkrai: :rillaboom: :blaziken: :manaphy: :terapagos:, you can see whats thiss about with 1 look

https://pokepast.es/4283ba35d111ab89 aa real sun team :torkoal: :great tusk: :walking wake: :hatterene: :venusaur: :blaziken: the new paradoxes are kinda mid in my opinion, so I decided to check on venasaur and blaziken, both providing speed and power, and they have not failed me, I also have red card hat for emergency dennying any sweeping, has been somewhat of a life saver, combined with nuzzle or healing wish you can swing momentum even in dire situations

I have one more team, but I don't really wanna spill the beans, I'm actually confident in this one, but let's just say that it goes against everything I believe in as a player, It's so out of my style that goes back full circle, the only thing ill say is that it has :Reuniclus: this mon is fucking amazing, and its so fucking annoying to take down

anyway, ill go away, i have things to do

:Enamorus:
I think many people overlook this Pokemon as a Stellar type user. Once the Metagame settles, I can see it make great use of Stellar type.
Not only is it the other good Contrary Pokemon in the game, it also better benefits the Stellar Tera type mechanic that Serperior as Serperior already has Leaf Storm and would prefer other Teras tbh.
Besides technically not a downside for Serperior, Enamorus does have several advantages to using Stellar Tera. One of that is possibly being the best answer to Kingambit (and *cough* *cough* maybe Annihilape too). Not only does Enamorus resist Kingambit's sucker punches, but Stellar type Tera Blast ensures if Kingambit Teras it'll be OHKO'd by Tera Blast. In addition, Enamorus can spam Tera Blast to get Contrary boosts that affects both stats, something it can abuse with Superpower as well.

I will put aside discussion on banning policy as its clear everyone is set in their ways

For Terapagos, the thing is that no check actually properly checks every set. Unaware does nothing on a Stored Power set that can just sit there and get like 300 BP, and toxic stall does nothing to restochesto.

There are not close to enough checks or counters for it to remain in the tier.

Everything else deserves a fair shake and is playable for right now, but not this.
There are at least 5 defensive checks / counters I can name off the top of my head, including Pex, Clodsire, Dirge, Unaware Clef, and Blissey.

That's 5 more than Baxcalibur had.

I will put aside discussion on banning policy as its clear everyone is set in their ways

For Terapagos, the thing is that no check actually properly checks every set. Unaware does nothing on a Stored Power set that can just sit there and get like 300 BP, and toxic stall does nothing to restochesto.
Unaware clef wins because it will be calm minding too and a super boosted SP does nothing. Clod can haze, as can Pex.

The not checking everyset applies to so many other mons... It takes away any credit your take could have, specially with Tera around and Terapagos been "forced" to be the one to Tera 95% of the time

Back