Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Is there any way I can make a viable team without pokemon with unfinished sprites? Those are Pokemon like Glimmora, Iron Valiant, etc.
VerySuboptimal recently posted an awesome RMT with 5 out of 6 mons being from before Gen 9. Very powerful team and a good starting point for you, with the only mon you’d have to replace being Gambit. Check it out and give his post a like!

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/revenge-of-gen-8-1900s.3745982/#post-10168481

A few questions regarding Balance and the like:

1) How does Hatterene perform on Balance teams in general? What set works best for it?

The hazard denial and near perfect, Glare-like paralysis are really attractive. Hopefully one that doesn't rely on Calm Mind, though if that's the best set for the meta regarding its place on balance, I'm not mad.

For once, I DON'T want to use her in Grassy Terrain teams - hard to justify Rilla, Meow and Plume on one team, so I'm not going the Grassy Terrain route this team.

2) Is Semi stall still a thing? Why is it different from balance? My understanding of semi stall makes it basically like hazard stacking, so I may be missing something here.

3) Going back to Hatt, I enjoyed Trick Room to flip the script after a boost or two when she was the sole recipient of the move. Does Trick Room work decent with only a handful of abusers on the team, as opposed to something to make Torkoal or Ursaluna shine?

Magic Mayhem Maiden

formerly CorruptionInTheGovernment
Does anyone else here have the problem where you have to reapply /avatar every time shutting down the pc?
Oh and it's a avatar that's not in the main menu selection, I hope that's not the reason.
Your browser might be clearing cookies when it's closed, which resets all settings you applied including avatars.
This may also mean your teams do not save unless you saved them to the Pokemon Showdown database.

If that is the case, then maybe your browser, extension, or another software is clearing your cookies when you close the tab.

I'm writing this because my avatar also doesn't save between new browser tabs being open, but it may be a different thing.

A few questions regarding Balance and the like:

1) How does Hatterene perform on Balance teams in general? What set works best for it?

The hazard denial and near perfect, Glare-like paralysis are really attractive. Hopefully one that doesn't rely on Calm Mind, though if that's the best set for the meta regarding its place on balance, I'm not mad.
Hatterene is a very good mon on Balance to shut down hazard setters like Ting Lu and Skarmory. Calm Mind is a tried and true set but there are other viable options. It's worth trying AV Hatterene.

Hatterene @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Fire/Water/Poison
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Speed
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draining Kiss
- Nuzzle
- Mystical Fire

This set provides an AV tank that, unlike other users of the item, can spread paralysis through Nuzzle. Maximal SpA investment takes full advantage of Hatterene's potent 136 Special Attack stat to hit way harder than most people expect. SpA invested Draining Kiss provides a form of recovery, while Mystical Fire is the perfect coverage move to hit Ghold and the Iron Birds.

How good is Torterra in OU ???
just asking bcs im curious
I did use it in early DLC1 and it was decent there. Now, not so much. Torterra's main niche is that of a shell smasher, and while it has some decent traits, it's incredibly slow. Any scarfers will be outspeeding it after a boost and due to requiring loaded dice to do maximum damage, it's defenses aren't the best. It's damage, while good, isn't going to instantly bowl over teams that have a good defensive backbone (though it will clean up a weakened team).
It could work, but it would probably be outclassed by a lot of things.

I did use it in early DLC1 and it was decent there. Now, not so much. Torterra's main niche is that of a shell smasher, and while it has some decent traits, it's incredibly slow. Any scarfers will be outspeeding it after a boost and due to requiring loaded dice to do maximum damage, it's defenses aren't the best. It's damage, while good, isn't going to instantly bowl over teams that have a good defensive backbone (though it will clean up a weakened team).
It could work, but it would probably be outclassed by a lot of things.
Damn :(

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Why are votes for bans and unbans the way they are and not anonymous? I can't find a thread on it.
They are anonymous until the vote is over. Blind voting is a moderate forum where votes are hidden until the verdict is reached and the leader releases them.

Then, they are made public after for the sake of transparency, record keeping, etc. — there’s not much reason to keep them private after the fact while public record of them is important for things like Tiering Contributor badges, which you need to link your votes for.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
If you mean council votes, then that’s just for transparency and record keeping as well. Important everyone in those positions has visible opinions when a vote is being conducted alt course.

Hatterene is a very good mon on Balance to shut down hazard setters like Ting Lu and Skarmory. Calm Mind is a tried and true set but there are other viable options. It's worth trying AV Hatterene.

Hatterene @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Fire/Water/Poison
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Speed
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draining Kiss
- Nuzzle
- Mystical Fire

This set provides an AV tank that, unlike other users of the item, can spread paralysis through Nuzzle. Maximal SpA investment takes full advantage of Hatterene's potent 136 Special Attack stat to hit way harder than most people expect. SpA invested Draining Kiss provides a form of recovery, while Mystical Fire is the perfect coverage move to hit Ghold and the Iron Birds.
Ok, I definitely want to use this (Finch once told me that it works better on more offensive teams but I really want an Assault Vest user that can Nuzzle Ghold). Before I stick it on my team and think my sp.atk defense is settled, let me ask, what does it have trouble stopping? Should I take another mon to handle things like Iron Moth? What are good balance teammates?

Ok, I definitely want to use this (Finch once told me that it works better on more offensive teams but I really want an Assault Vest user that can Nuzzle Ghold). Before I stick it on my team and think my sp.atk defense is settled, let me ask, what does it have trouble stopping? Should I take another mon to handle things like Iron Moth? What are good balance teammates?
AV Hatterene isn't really a catch-all special tank. You get 2HKO'd by Modest Specs Primarina and Specs Wake in sun. Iron Moth, Iron Crown, and Ghold hit it super effectively. Proto SpA Raging Bolt and Darkrai also both 2HKO after a Calm Mind or Nasty Plot boost, respectively.

AV Hatterene morso functions as a hazard denier that can check some special attackers like Valiant and Deoxys in a pinch.

AV Glowking is a good teammate that can check Primarina, Wake, Bolt, Moth, and Crown. Hatterene takes some of the pressure off Glowking by switching into Valiant and Deoxys so that Glowking doesn't have to take a Knock. Denying hazards is also highly appreciated by AV Glowking.

80 Spdef EVs on AV Hatterene could be useful to always avoid the 2HKO from Specs Kyurem Ice Beam, thereby forming a solid anti-Kyurem core with Glowking.

W
AV Hatterene isn't really a catch-all special tank. You get 2HKO'd by Modest Specs Primarina and Specs Wake in sun. Iron Moth, Iron Crown, and Ghold hit it super effectively. Proto SpA Raging Bolt and Darkrai also both 2HKO after a Calm Mind or Nasty Plot boost, respectively.

AV Hatterene morso functions as a hazard denier that can check some special attackers like Valiant and Deoxys in a pinch.

AV Glowking is a good teammate that can check Primarina, Wake, Bolt, Moth, and Crown. Hatterene takes some of the pressure off Glowking by switching into Valiant and Deoxys so that Glowking doesn't have to take a Knock. Denying hazards is also highly appreciated by AV Glowking.

80 Spdef EVs on AV Hatterene could be useful to always avoid the 2HKO from Specs Kyurem Ice Beam, thereby forming a solid anti-Kyurem core with Glowking.
Just an update, you were right, AV Glow was a great partner. Know who else I started to enjoy?

AV Ursa! Handles Moth, Ghold, and other mons that Hatt can't seem to handle. I lost in spectacular (as in hilarious) fashion, but I learned a few things from a previous match:

1) Ursaluna can survive, amongst other things, a Hydro Steam from a Life Orb Walking wake without using my own Tera Water:

244 SpA Life Orb Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Ursaluna in Sun: 307-361 (76.5 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

2) Hatterene cannot survive a Tera Grass CB Rillaboom's Wood Hammer even if you Tera Poison first unless you bother to spec something into defense, which I I thought I did. That woke me right tf up I'll tell you that. It being on grass didn't help.

W

Just an update, you were right, AV Glow was a great partner. Know who else I started to enjoy?

AV Ursa! Handles Moth, Ghold, and other mons that Hatt can't seem to handle. I lost in spectacular (as in hilarious) fashion, but I learned a few things from a previous match:

1) Ursaluna can survive, amongst other things, a Hydro Steam from a Life Orb Walking wake without using my own Tera Water:

244 SpA Life Orb Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Ursaluna in Sun: 307-361 (76.5 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

2) Hatterene cannot survive a Tera Grass CB Rillaboom's Wood Hammer even if you Tera Poison first unless you bother to spec something into defense, which I I thought I did. That woke me right tf up I'll tell you that. It being on grass didn't help.
AV Ursaluna is kinda cracked actually. I've been experimenting and it's ridiculously hard to take down. I've yet to find the balance between defense and offense for it though, and I'm also really bad at team building.

I have a triple core of AV Iron Crown, Fast Utility Lando-T, and Choice Scarf H Samurott. This team would be a VoltTurn BO team. I am having trouble finding the right combination of mons for the last three slots. Which Pokemon would fit the last three slots best? I have thought about Bulky Gouging Fire, but fitting a spinner is tough

Srn

The Monstrous Bird of New England
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Thank you!

First Impression in exchange for what??
I've dropped cc on slither and ran uturn/first impression/wisp/morning sun before. This set is obviously pretty passive and relies on uturn to not lose momentum but as long as you have some good strong partners to uturn into, it's not an issue.

For fighting stab on all sets I prefer low kick over cc, you hit a lot of big targets for 120 bp and suffer no defense drops.

I've dropped cc on slither and ran uturn/first impression/wisp/morning sun before. This set is obviously pretty passive and relies on uturn to not lose momentum but as long as you have some good strong partners to uturn into, it's not an issue.

For fighting stab on all sets I prefer low kick over cc, you hit a lot of big targets for 120 bp and suffer no defense drops.
Thanks! What’s the spread??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)