ORAS OU Screw Balance, HO all the way!

"Stall is overrated. Offense being called mindless is misleading, it's just more forgiving to the ignorant. Stall is the much more mindless concept and the constant concern for its health in metagames is silly."

Those are the wise words of Melee Mewtwo . His words made me feel good about making this team -- which some might label "mindless offense spam" -- but then I'd probably fall into the "getting my ignorance forgiven" category that he described :/

Anyway, here's the team:

upload_2015-5-10_23-41-10.png

Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind

This is my suicide lead. Its job is simple: set up Stealth Rock, and set up as many layers of Spikes as possible before getting knocked out. Iron Head is the go to attacking move because it nails Mega Diancie, preventing it from anti-leading us. The delicious Custap Berry gives priority to its moves once its health is low (e.g. when knocked down to Sturdy), this enables us to either put down one extra layer of hazard or phaze an opponent who's taken the liberty to set up on Skarmory with priority Whirlwind. In order to proc Custap Berry more reliably you can see that no bulk is run at all (including 0 IVs and a hindering nature).

upload_2015-5-11_0-8-8.png

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 192 HP / 220 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Bisharp is responsible for punishing opponent Defog users. The most common ones, Lati@s, gets punished by Bisharp for daring to Defog, and gets OHKOed from Pursuit after SR even if they don't proc Defiant. Thanks to Assault Vest Bisharp can be more comfortable tanking HP Fire and Draco Meteors from the Eon twins. Another OU Defogger, Zapdos, also loses one on one against this if Bisharp gets a Defiant boost. Besides schooling Lati@s, Bisharp also serves to soften opponents in generally with STAB Knock Off or revenge killing offensive threats that got out of hand via Sucker Punch. Assault Vest makes it better at tanking neutral Fairy type attacks, so Bisharp can switch into them more easily and proceed to take them out with Iron Head -- something that benefits the two Fighting types on the team. 96 Spe allows Bisharp to outspeed max speed Azumarill while 220 Atk is the last available jump point.

upload_2015-5-11_0-10-26.png

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

The offensive spin blocker while benefiting greatly from hazards wearing down its defensive checks. Besides pivoting into Rapid Spin, Gengar has numerous resistances, including Fighting, Ground, Fairy, Grass, Poison etc. It should be able to find quite a few switch in opportunities and once in play it is a fearsome attacker. Ghost has excellent neutral coverage, especially with Fighting. Sludge Wave hits harder than Shadow Ball when neutral and also nails various Fairies. The spread is quite straight forward, as Gengar's base stats don't really provide much room to work with.

upload_2015-5-11_0-11-28.png

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

When you have both Bisharp and Gengar, Keldeo becomes an obvious next choice. Keldeo greatly enjoys Bisharp handling and trapping most Psychic types (like the Eon twins) and Gengar dealing with grass types like Mega Venusaur. Scald hits hard off of Specs, and fishing for burns can wear down potential checks. Secret Sword hits on the physical defense side and dispatches Chansey easily, among other things. Hydro Pump is for when Keldeo needs more power to get past defensive threats. Finally, HP Electric is chosen as the tool against bulky Water types like Gyarados, as bulky Waters are the least covered checks by its teammates.

upload_2015-5-11_0-12-14.png

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus is a premium threat in the tier and has excellent synergy with the above offensive threats. It's something else that enjoys a dead Lati, which Bisharp can provide quite well. Landorus lures in Gliscor and KOs it with HP Ice, something that Gengar will surely enjoy. Celebi is also often switched in to Landorus to absorb an Earth Power, but Sludge Wave poops all over it, which benefits Keldeo greatly. The Rock Polish set is used here because it's one of Landorus' best ways of taking advantage of free turn, and turns it into a fearsome cleaner.

upload_2015-5-11_0-13-11.png

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Speaking of cleaners, how about arguably the best cleaner in the tier? Scrappy Normal and Fighting is unresisted. Base 136 Atk with no boosting item isn't the most powerful, but is still quite good, and Fake Out epsecially helps bring things into KO range. High Jump Kick is powerful while Return is consistent. Ice Punch deals with the likes of Gliscor, Landorus-T and Garchomp. It forces the former two to use Earthquake, which can open a set up for Landorus or sometimes give a switch in to Gengar. Also, it's another thing that enjoys a dead Psychic type, which Bisharp happily obliges.

This is an offensive team and it doesn't have a switch in for every single offensive threat. However, it doesn't mean I auto lose to them. Usually it involves sacking something, which is fine, as I have five Pokemon capable of sweeping through teams, and a temporary material disadvantage can be overcome. Here are some examples:

Keldeo: Mega Lopunny can revenge anything without a Substitute bar Choice Scarf locked in Secret Sword. In that case, it gives a free switch in to Gengar.

Talonflame: First SR is usually up so that really limits its switch in. CB ones can be Pursuit trapped (locked on Brave Bird) or gives Keldeo a switch in (locked on Flare Blitz). Non Choice ones do not carry enough firepower to break Landorus, which deals massive damage to it with Sludge Wave. However, specially defensive ones with Will-O-Wisp does give this team a lot of trouble.

Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 192 HP / 220 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Polish
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
I don't know this metagame but since I was tagged, I'll post a comment.

Seeing as this was posted in the RMT section, it is statistically safe to assume your team is absolute ass.

I can't help you more than that but I wish you good luck on your journey to become a Pokemon Master!

6-0ed by Talonflame
Facts.

Instead of using Skarm, I recommend using my boy Garchomp. It can take a couple hits from Talon and you can Dragon Tail it off the match with Rocks Up.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rocks
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake / Fire Blast

6-0ed by Talonflame

There is a weakness to Talonflame but I don't think this team gets 6-0ed by it, and even if it does, your "constructive" comment and attitude did not help him or anyone else.

I would suggest perhaps changing Keldeo to Rotom-W but I think the standard set doesn't apply enough pressure for this team while choice sets are just a little gimmicky for my personal liking. Also I think Rotom is strictly worse than Keldeo on this team against any team that doesn't have Talonflame. So not sure if worth but you could give it a try.

There is a weakness to Talonflame but I don't think this team gets 6-0ed by it, and even if it does, your "constructive" comment and attitude did not help him or anyone else.

I would suggest perhaps changing Keldeo to Rotom-W but I think the standard set doesn't apply enough pressure for this team while choice sets are just a little gimmicky for my personal liking. Also I think Rotom is strictly worse than Keldeo on this team against any team that doesn't have Talonflame. So not sure if worth but you could give it a try.

Brave Bird outright OHKOs 3 of his mons, almost KOs Lando after rocks and Flare Blitz almost KOs Skarm who cannot do anything back anyway. Bisharp can annoy it a bit with Sucker Punch but that's it. You can 6-0 this team with Talon if you know what you're doing. Not to mention the SDef WoW set can just lead and end up 6-0ing without giving him any chance.

I didn't mention anything because it's entirely up to him as solving this weakness requires significant chance. Rotom-W over Keldeo is a terrible choice btw. It's up to him how he wants this team to look. He can keep the Bisharp+Keldeo+Lando core and replace Gengar for a Thundurus or he can keep Gengar as his wall breaker and replace either Keldeo or Lando. (if it's the later I suggest replacing keld since a win condition like RP Land is very important on Offense). He can even opt for Mega Manetric over Mega Lop as his fast mon/cleaner. So you see, there are a lot of routes he can take.

Ok, would replacing Bisharp with Scarf Tyranitar be a good change?

The plus is that it handles Talonflame very well, even the Sp. Def WoW set, as Stone Edge OHKOs regardless. And it does so while fulfilling its role as Pursuit trapper.

Downside:

1. Various Fairy types, notably Azumarill and Mega Altaria becomes more of a pain.

2. It needs Scarf to reliable beat the likes of Lati@s (Surf) and Gengar (Focus Blast). And getting locked on Pursuit gives set up to many things, with Dragon Dancers being probably the most dangerous. (If a non choice set can work here, please enlighten me).

Last edited:
This team is nice; there is a talon problem but in this meta it's more or less necessary to leave something uncovered.

I'm seeing a bit of a problem with the Custap Skarmory set:

The delicious Custap Berry gives priority to its moves once its health is low (e.g. when knocked down to Sturdy), this enables us to either put down one extra layer of hazard or phaze an opponent who's taken the liberty to set up on Skarmory with priority Whirlwind. In order to proc Custap Berry more reliably you can see that no bulk is run at all (including 0 IVs and a hindering nature).

Custap berry doesn't give priority. It just moves your attack to first within its priority bracket. So whirlwind is still -6 (or something). I'd replace whirlwind with Brave Bird. Brave Bird makes the Custap Skarm more of a suicide lead as a fast BB at low damage will KO skarm, also blocking Rapid Spin in the process (or scouting). Hope this helped.

ScarfTar over Bisharp is a no. ScarfTar is honestly shit in this build. Go with Mega Manetric over Mega Lop all Thundy over Gengar. You need Bisharp, keep it.

Back