monotype water

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to have some feedback about my water team for the XY OU tier.
To date I'm stuck around 1800 rating, so it's not that bad, but I have to improve it.
I want to create a balanced team (avoiding stall rain-teams), so being this my first one (even if I've already changed it a lot of times) I worked with the basics:
2x Special physical sweeper, 2x special sweeper, 1x special wall, 1x physical tank

gre.png

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

strong special sweeper, super versatile. I usually use it as opening (even if choice scarf users are a problem). Because of protean ability I use it without any water attack. I dunno if doing quite few damages with u-turn and self damage with life orb is worth (also because one of the problems of the team is the defence typing even when switching out) . grass knot could be a another choice, but the most encountered pokèmon in the tier is Rotom-w so it becomes quite useless. by the way I need HP-fire to counter mega abomasnow, ferrothorn (big problems), Scizor or Genesect.

star.png

Starmie @ Assault Vest
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

sweeper and spinner, I changed recently thunderbolt for psychic for the stab and the better utility (I didn't encounter so many water pokèmon..). this is the second special sweeper and the other super versatile, that is needed. Quite fragile (that's why I equipped it with Assault vest, rather then leftovers + recover) but having two fast sweepers in the team really helps. Surf and Psychic gives stab. Psychic is also good against Gengar when they switch it in for avoiding my rapid spin, as it goes for ice beam and Trevenant.

200px-Artwork130.png

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

pretty typical physical sweeper Gyarados, with intimidate because it's going o megaevolve most of the time (and most of the time it allows me to dragon-dance easily taking less damage) . it is very strong, the problem is that it lacks in the team a true supporter/baton passer that makes him stronger.
its normal typing water/flying is useful because its resistances and immunity to ground types pokèmon and I totally prefer Ice fang rather then stone edge because of the accuracy and the type coverage. With mold breaker Mega Gyara is so good in taking down Rotom-W and others and it's quite bulky so most of the time I can go for a dragon dance first.

200px-Artwork091.png

Cloyster (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash

I think everyone knows Cloyster but besides being really strong as physical sweeper it solved some of my problems against substitute-users as Whimsicott or Gliscor (and finally I can take down Breloom even without shell-smash before). I think that focus sash is mandatory to allow it to last the turn to shell-smash easily and then strike everything. Rock-blast and Icicle spear give it good coverage and Ice shard saved me more than once (I don't know if replacing it with hydro pump or Razor Shell for coverage because the opponent always switch in Heatran or Aegislash) .

200px-Artwork260.png

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar

Good physical tank with good Atk stat. Even if it lacks a proper move to recover it has good resistences and with leftovers it can take some hits before being taken down (grass one are not allowed obviously).
It has a lot of utility lying stealth rocks on the field (which half kill Talonflame and Charizard) and using roar to break baton pass strategy. Waterfall and EQ are great moves with STAB. What it really lacks is a good ability..

150px-593_Jellicent.png

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

My last addition and I love it. Solid as special wall and tricky. it hasn't the possibility to power-up like Suicune, but with as a counter to RapidSpin-users, w-o-w against physical sweepers, taunt against stall teams and night shade for sure amount damage even agaist bulky pokèmon is really something. With water-absord it gains also immunity to water and it's so bulky it can take eletric attack without many problems.

So I tried to make this basic team the most competitive possible. offensively it's quite good but the problems is obvuously Defensively where a good pokèmon such as Mega Venusaur or Celebi usually destroies me.

I hope to get some feedback from you..!
greetings

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Cloyster (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash

Starmie @ Assault Vest
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Last edited:
what do u think about switching out Starmie for Tentacruel?
it could gives me more defence against grass (and also fairy) types.
Due to its good sp defence it could be a nice bait if using Mirror Coat against Rotom-W (that I found pratically in every team) and all the others electric ones.
200px-Artwork073.png

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 4 SDef / 16 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb/toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Mirror Coat/Giga Drain

Last edited:
Back