XY OU Mega Medicham for Mega Power!

Another OU team I've been working on, but this one has actually been working pretty well. I just want some improvements to help the synergy and power of the team. It is a team focused around Mega Medicham, whom I have come to really like. So, without further adieu, I give you my latest team.

hqdefault.jpg

Medicham (F) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Mega Medicham is the center of this team, and with good reason. Mega Medicham is able to destroy almosy anything in its path, able to take down bulky Pokemon with a single hit, and even capable of doing considerable damage on Pokemon that resist it STAB. However, Medicham's problem isn't its power, but average speed and low defenses. The team is built around those weaknesses. But first, lets cover Medicham itself. Jolly Nature sacrifices a little bit of power for extra speed, but with Pure Power as an ability, it really isn't all that big of a loss. High Jump Kick serves as the Nuclear Power behind the bomb that is Medicham, OHKOing almost anything it touches, as long as it doesn't resist it. Zen Headbutt is the secondary STAB move here, and with a base power of 80, it will deal a lot of damage. However, with an accuracy of 90, I've noticed that Zen Headbutt seems to miss at the most crucial times, so I'm thinking of perhaps replacing it with Psycho Cut. Sacrifice a little bit of power for 100% Accuracy. Let me know what you think of that.

For coverage, I've chosen to run Ice Punch, as it helps me deal with the bane of my existence, Gliscor. However, Ice Punch also helps Medicham deal with other threats like Landorus-T and I, Grass types, and certain Flying types as well. And for the last slot, I've chosen Fake Out. Not only does it give Medicham's speed a chance to rise to its Mega Level, but it also allows me to scout out my opponent. If they have a Ghost type, and they expect the High Jump Kick, they are going to switch in for that massive recoil I'll get. Fake Out allows me to call them on that safely, without any recoil. Also, Pure Power Fake Out followed up by another of Medicham's attacks = GG.

The EV spread is kinda standered I'd say. Max Attack and Speed for maximum damage output and maximum speed.

thundurus-incarnate.jpg

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

As I stated before, Medicham's average speed can possibly cause it some troubles while it is trying to sweep. So how do you fix such a problem? Prankster Thunder Wave of course! Thundurus is a great partner in crime for Medicham thanks to being able to inflict a crippling paralyses onto fast threats that could possibly out speed and severely damage, or even take out, Medicham. What is also great about Thundurus though, is that it is an offensive Prankster, also having access to powerful moves like Thunderbolt and Focus Blast, capable to whittling down Pokemon for Medicham to pick off later. Taunt it also a great move here as it can stop Set Up Sweepers, and Rock setters, further aiding not only Medicham, but the rest of the team as a whole. Leftovers help Thundurus recover from any residual damage it may incur, and the EV spread helps keep it fast and powerful, aiding it in outspeeding other Prankster users.

scizor.png

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 48 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Scizor is a great Teammate for Medicham. Choice Banded, Technician boosted Bullet Punch allows Scizor to cleanly kill weakened threats to Medicham, decimate most Fairy Pokemon, and just plain revenge kill. Superpower gives Scizor some nice coverage against opposing Steel types, and Knock Off is so important in today's Meta Game, it had to be on here. Hoever, Scizor's greatest asset is U-Turn. This allows Scizor to switch out of the field, and safely switch Medicham in, finishing off whatever Scizor hit with the powerful switch move. U-Turn also allows Scizor to take care of Psychic threats that Medicham would normally struggle with. Knock Off also allows Scizor to remove Scarfed threats as well, really making Scizor a huge threat, and great partner.

gengar_by_smilingjellyfish-d3a00r5.jpg

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

Remember how I said something that threatens Mega Medicham is Ghost types? Well that's where Gengar comes in. Gengar is fast and powerful, capable of taking out Ghost-type threats easily. And with Focus Sash attached, Gengar can also act as a suicide Ghost, using Destiny Bond on Slower threats and taking them out with it. Shadow Ball is the main STAB move for Gengar, absolutely needed for taking out opposing Ghost-types, while Sludge Bomb acts as a Secondary STAB for Fairy threats. Thunderbolt provides coverage against some Flying types that may also threaten Medicham as well. The EV spread is to make sure Gengar is as fast as possible, and able to hit as hard as possible. Though, when it comes to opposing Gengar, it may come down to luck.

goodra.png

Goodra (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

I love Assault Vest Goodra so much. This thing can tank so many special hits, it isn't even funny. Being Pure Dragon also gives Goodra an advantage, whihch is how it earned this post on the team as a Special Wall. Usually when I run Goodra, I run gooey, however I've decided that this time around, I'd run Sap Sipper, giving Goodra a nice Grass immunity. Dragon Pulse is STAB move of choice. I run it over Draco Meteor because Goodra doesn't exactly appreciate the Special Attack drop, and I don't want to have to be switching my wall out constantly. Fire Blast provides Steel, Grass, Bug, and Ice coverage, while Sludge Wave gives Goodra the ability to fight back against Fairy types. Thunderbolt also gives Goodra Flying and Water coverage, making it a very threatening Pokemon to face, if you aren't prepared.

rotomw-jpg.10366

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp

My favorite Rotom-W set, RestoChesto. Rotom is great here as it acts as a powerful Physical Wall, as well as acting very similar to Scizor in terms of switching into Medicham safely, thanks to Volt Switch. Hydro Pump is the other obvious STAB choice here, providing powerful Water coverage. Will-O-Wisp is another one of Rotom' signature moves, crippling powerful Physical threats to the team. And Rest for recovery. Now, Rotom is essential here, as it is one of the best counters to Medicham's greatest threat, Talonflame. Resisting both of Talonflame's STAB moves, Rotom is the bane of the bane of Medicham's existence...try saying that three time fast.

Hey this is an extremely solid team! The biggest issue I see is the lack of a hazards setter and choice banded Dragonite, but other than that, I really have nothing much to say, since the synergy of the team is already good as it is. I only have a few minor suggestions to make.

Firstly, the hazards issue. Stealth Rock is very important (idk how you missed it), so I definitely feel that it is a must on every team. I see Goodra to be the team's weakest link, so I recommend swapping Goodra for Stealth Rock Clefable. Clefable handles Rotom-W too (this was previously handled by Goodra), and most importantly, handles CB Dragonite, a really huge issue for your team. With this replacement, your team would become way more solid. Clefable set:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 HP / 208 Def / 64 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Secondly, you might wanna change Scizor from CB to SpDef. This will allow you to better handle Mega Gardevoir (an otherwise big threat to your team, since CB scizor won't be switching in too much w/o Recovery, and still takes a butt load from Focus Blast), and also allow you to run the move Defog on your scizor without being locked in (seeing as how you have a Thundurus that is weak to Stealth Rock). This is the set:
Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Next, I recommend running Life Orb > Lefties on your Thundurus, and running Hidden Power Ice > Taunt. With BP gone, Taunt is rarely needed. Taunt can be useful against a CM Clefable, but that is handled by Gengar anyway. With HP Ice, Thundurus easily nails KOs against stuff that likes to come in on his Thunderbolt, and a Life Orb would make Thundurus that much more potent.

Lastly, Life Orb on Gengar can also be really beneficial, but a Focus Sash can work too. Use whichever one you prefer.

Hope I helped!

Hey this is an extremely solid team! The biggest issue I see is the lack of a hazards setter and choice banded Dragonite, but other than that, I really have nothing much to say, since the synergy of the team is already good as it is. I only have a few minor suggestions to make.

Firstly, the hazards issue. Stealth Rock is very important (idk how you missed it), so I definitely feel that it is a must on every team. I see Goodra to be the team's weakest link, so I recommend swapping Goodra for Stealth Rock Clefable. Clefable handles Rotom-W too (this was previously handled by Goodra), and most importantly, handles CB Dragonite, a really huge issue for your team. With this replacement, your team would become way more solid. Clefable set:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 HP / 208 Def / 64 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Secondly, you might wanna change Scizor from CB to SpDef. This will allow you to better handle Mega Gardevoir (an otherwise big threat to your team, since CB scizor won't be switching in too much w/o Recovery, and still takes a butt load from Focus Blast), and also allow you to run the move Defog on your scizor without being locked in (seeing as how you have a Thundurus that is weak to Stealth Rock). This is the set:
Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Next, I recommend running Life Orb > Lefties on your Thundurus, and running Hidden Power Ice > Taunt. With BP gone, Taunt is rarely needed. Taunt can be useful against a CM Clefable, but that is handled by Gengar anyway. With HP Ice, Thundurus easily nails KOs against stuff that likes to come in on his Thunderbolt, and a Life Orb would make Thundurus that much more potent.

Lastly, Life Orb on Gengar can also be really beneficial, but a Focus Sash can work too. Use whichever one you prefer.

Hope I helped!

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be sure to implement some of these right away (especially the Clefable switch).

Back