VGC Mega Gyarados Team

So to start out I'm new to RMT. Been more of a spectator here and always trying to find fun teams with pokemon I enjoy. I have been playing since R/B as a kid and then picked up X/Y as an adult and man have times changed. I have been playing around with this team and really enjoy it however still finding holes and would like suggestions to better the team.

With that said here is the team.

gyarados_mega_evolution_garydos-446648-jpg.24779

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Mega Gyaradosis a fun pokemon and not used very often. I opted for Crunch instead of earthquake because A) STAB and B) while earthquake is a great coverage move i found myself rarely using it and wishing i had crunch for cressalia teams, and a surprise on perish trap teams. His natural bulk is amazing.
raichu_lineart_by_neonwavedcon-d5bs1gd.png

Raichu @ Air Balloon
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 220 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Fake Out
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Encore

My main opener with Gyarados. He provides great support. Open with fakeout usually allows for me to get a dragon dance off. Lightning rod helps with Thundurus teams. Hp Ice helps 2hko salamence and lando. Used focus sash but found it lacking in most games.

th

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Another great support for Gyarados. Provides redirection support. Allows me to switch alot as well depending on match-up. Spore to neutralize Threats to Gyarados. For the most part a standard set and great synergy with the rest of the team.

volcarona.jpg

Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Rage Powder
- Tailwind

This little bug was a great addition to the team. I stole this set from Bennett Piercy's team. I originally had Talonflame in this spot but my personal preference is bulk. He supports Gyarados once again with redirection and tailwind support. Heatwave is not my favorite move because let's face it. It seems far worse than 90% accuracy.

Latios_by_aocom.jpg

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Heal Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

I stole this set also from Bennett Piercy's team after watching Cybertron play with it on his youtube series. It seemed like a perfect addition to them team. Great counter to Venusaur/ Lando-t/ Salamence. Also heal pulse has been a fun gimmick to keep the Gyarados pain train rolling during a sweep. Grass Knot 2hko most Milotic which can be a danger to the team with Competitive and icy wind slowing down Gyarados more than he already is.
shiny_aegislash_by_zephyr_flutist-d6zaxg1.png

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SpA / 76 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

This slot I'm not 100% sure on what to do with. I needed a ghost and wideguard support. Consdidered Conkeldurr as well but just not sure what to put here. Aegislash is one of those fun Pokemon to play with obviously changing the Meta since he came out. Love the mind games it provides but to be honest I don't use it as much as i should.

Would love some input on better spreads or just ideas. Used Clefable for a bit but found myself needing more offensive pressure if Gyarados went down hence adding Volcarona and Latios.
Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Heal Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Raichu @ Air Balloon
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 220 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Fake Out
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Encore

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SpA / 76 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Rage Powder
- Tailwind

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Last edited:
Since your team is based around supporting gyara, how does encore sound on raichu over protect? It creates a lot of free turns and punishes protecting on your fake outs.

Since your team is based around supporting gyara, how does encore sound on raichu over protect? It creates a lot of free turns and punishes protecting on your fake outs.

Switched to encore. Noticed how it helped shutdown char-y when they protect first turn. Thanks

Yes if Gyarados goes down sub heatran is an issue. I'm not sure if it's just me however but I don't seem to come across many. Not sure if it's because the opponent predicts eq or not. Later when I have time I'll edit in a threats list. That's one of the reasons I was thinking wide guard conk as opposed to aegislash.

Yes if Gyarados goes down sub heatran is an issue. I'm not sure if it's just me however but I don't seem to come across many. Not sure if it's because the opponent predicts eq or not. Later when I have time I'll edit in a threats list. That's one of the reasons I was thinking wide guard conk as opposed to aegislash.
I'm pretty sure Encore goes through Sub. That weakness isn't fixable, given that there are few mons that can be replaced for patching that up. But playing smartly against it should be able to beat it.
Also, hasn't your team struggled against TailRoom Mega Gardevoir teams? Gardevoir's only answer in your team is Aegislash, which fears the Scrafty or Heatran this Pokemon is paired often with.

What replacement suggestions do you have in mind? And yes there is no real answer to MFardevoir.

I feel like Volcarona shouldn't be Rage Powder. You focused too much on supporting Gyarados, meaning that its partners won't be able to pull their weight without Gyarados. I feel a Quiver Dance offensive Volcarona might be better.

Back