Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/96 Def/158 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Light Screen

Forretress is my support Pokemon, and is my starter to set up for the rest of my team, then switch out. He uses Spikes while the opponent switches to a counter, as most starter Pokemon don't come equipped with a Fire-Type move or a Rapid Spinner. When the switch happens, I switch to either Gyarados for his fire resist or Snorlax for Thick Fat.

---

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP/16 Atk/180 Def/100 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Ice Fang
Standard bulky Gyarados.

---

Electivire (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -Spatk)
- Cross Chop
- Thunderpunch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
Standard Electivire to take the electric attack from Gyarados. If Earthquake is switched in, there are three pokemon on this team who are immune to it.

---

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
Switch in on Rapid Spin, then kill. If a counter is switched into Gengar, switch to Forretress and set up.

---

Salamence (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
Standard SpecsMence, meant to kill something really fast and weaken with Intimidate.

---

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 168 HP/120 Def/220 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Earthquake
Used to sponge Ice attacks from Mence, then setup and dominate with Body Slam and Earthquake. Tied between Return for pure damage or Body Slam for the para. Need help on this one

---

I'll take any advice that I can get, but I really like the balance of this team - each pokemon complements the other - and I'd only be willing to change if there was a big reason to.

The fatal flaw (no crappy pun intended) I see in this team is a huge Gengar weakness. The only pokemon on your team who could actually beat Gengar is Snorlax, but with Earthquake and a normal move as the only attacks on the set, he will beat you down with Focus Blast. (2HKO with Life Orb I think) Another big problem with this team is a pretty nasty Garchomp weakness. Fire Fang will do a number to Foretress, and I doubt Explosion will kill someone with Swampert-esque defenses, although it might activate a Salac Berry and even help the sweep. Choice Band Outrage will 2HKO Gyarados easily after Intimidate, and +1 Outrage (Swords Dance - Intimidate) will definitely OHKO all of the team save Forretress. The only problem is that nothing can reliably counter either of these pokemon. Bronzong is probably the closest you can get, but it fears Hypnosis from Gengar and any fire attack from Garchomp. Maybe put it over Forretress? You will have to use Stealth Rock instead of Spikes, but you will get a handy Sleep move in Hypnosis.

I have a personal liking for Forretress - I really love the good he can do for the team. I see the team as three teams of two:

Gyarados + Electivire
Specsmence + Snorlax
Forretress + Gengar.

Forretress and Gengar are staying - they work extremely well together. If you see a combination of two pokemon that can replace one of the first two teams that can provide solid offence, and defence against Chomp and Gengar, then by all means, suggest away.

As for the Gengar weak, I can sub in Crunch for Earthquake, but then he would have a steel weak, though I suppose I can switch for that. What do you think?

Adamant would be the nature of preference on that Electivire as it won't be utilizing its SpA stat

Whoops, that's a typo. Thank you for the clearing up.
Made an edit to my second post - suggested Snorlax uses Crunch instead of Earthquake.

Ok, I have a major problem with fast special attackers. Mainly Azelf and Gengar, and to a similar extent Togekiss. They kick my butt.

I'm considering changing gyarados and electivire for bulkier pokemon. Salamence, Forretress, Gengar and Snorlax work very well together, Gyara and Electivire don't really contribute to them.

Edit: Possibly keeping Electivire, but subbing out Gyara for a bulkish water (Suicune, Milotic, Slowbro/King).

Back