SS OU First OU Build

Gen 8 has proven to be... interesting. I'm looking for a particularly strong team and this is the foundation-work for the first one of my teams being created. I hope this gen goes better than the last and there are some exciting pokemon.

Team-Building Process
1575383544502.png

Corsola-Galar @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Strength Sap
- Whirlpool

The first pokemon i wanted to build around was Corsola. It's Galarian form gets strong defenses, boosted to crazy levels with eviolite. Your overall strategy with Corsola is to trap with whirlpool, then use will-o-wisp to to provide extra chip plus attack losses. strength sap provides very strong recovery for corsola, it can heal back to full when used at the right time. Hex is a strong stab move, especially when the target is will-o-wisped. Ghost is a pretty strong typing on the defense, but threats like Dragapult and Hydreigon really bother it. Cursed body just so happens to be it's best ability, but is a nice surprise when it comes in your favour.

1575383582555.png

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Protect
- Taunt

Umbreon in Gen 7 offered very strong utility moves that would've worked very well in this team, such as heal bell or toxic. Alas, the eevee-lutions have less utility this generation but Umbreon has very strong synergy with Corsola to shut out dark and ghost-type threats. Though it's cleric role isn't as well defined this gen, Wish and Protect gives good recovery options to itself and teammates, while taunt has lots of uses against setups/status users. Foul Play has the potential to hit for high damage too; it tears through many an unexpecting Dragapult. Leftovers give a little extra recovery whilst its EV spread gives it incredible special bulk.

1575384180713.png

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Substitute/Iron Heah
- Bulk Up/Iron Defense
- Roost
- Body Press/Iron Head

Corviknight is this gen's Skarmory, except now Skarmory isn't in the game. However, it rounds off this defensive core and it can pack a punch. It gets very strong physical defenses with it's spread and the set works a charm. Bulk Up is less effective than Iron Defense at face value, but provides Gigantamax utility and allows Iron Head to come in as a coverage move. Roost for recovery. Substitute allows for some great setup plays but, again, may be worth going Iron Head instead. Body Press works especially well as it takes into account the user's defense stat instead of attack, also boosted by Bulk Up. This mon without other coverage struggles against the prevelant ghost typing, and fire and electric moves give it hell. Let me know in the comments what set combination you would run on this pokemon.

1575384745950.png

Darmanitan-Galar @ Sitrus Berry/Salac Berry
Ability: Zen Mode
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Ice Punch/Icicle Crash
- Earthquake/Fire Punch

I love the new Zen Mode Darmanitan. The Ice/Fire typing is one of my favourites in this game so far, and its stats are the real deal. Not many people expect Zen Mode over gorilla tactics either; often setting up a substitute is pretty easy. If you can pull off an unbroken substitute, Belly Drum is the natural next move, and after sitrus berry heals up to 50%, Zen Mode kicks it. It's speed beats every non-scarfed viable pokemon whose name isn't Dragapult, and a 4x attack is lethal with the surprisingly complete coverage it gets with ice punch and Earthquake. If this pokemon comes out on the lead, which it normally does if their team lacks Dragapult, it can 6-0 on its own. Salac berry is a good option, but for improofing reasons with ditto, it feels neccesary to attempt to improof the set (with Dragapult).

1575457768882.png

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze (Libero when released)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Court Change
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt/Sucker Punch/Iron Head

Cinderace was an unexpectedly strong powerhouse for this generation; once Libero is released it will really be the new Greninja. This 'mon was given some really powerful exclusive moves to boost it's utility massively. Court Change is the best hazard control move in the game, instantly making Cinderace viable as it comes in with it's heavy boots and gives the opponent all of their setup hazards. In addition, it gets access to Pyro Ball, for some really high power physical stab. U-turn helps to keep it alive and get out of situations so it can continue to protect from hazards. The last moveslot i was unsure of; I ended up choosing Zen Headbutt to deal with poison types like toxapex, but sucker punch may be better to deal with Dragapult.

1575464322396.png

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt/U-Turn
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower

Completing the offensive core is Dragapult. Dragapult is unarguably incredibly strong. It's high speed tier and strength in both offenses plus a strong typing make it a threat. This team uses it's speed at a sort of improof of Darmanitan; it outspeeds choiced Ditto to hit with flamethrower. It's other moves provide strong offensive threats and coverages.

I really want to hear what your thoughts are on this team, it definitely isn't the finished product but I can see potential.
Signing out.

https://pokepast.es/92e594fa3ff0fc6b

Back