Fantasy Strike Games (Puzzle Strike and Yomi)

http://www.fantasystrike.com/dev/

(Note to mods: I'm not advertising a product here--the link above is an online simulator for both of the board games I'm about to describe)

I don't know how many of you are really into board games (I'm not), but hopefully you've heard of Puzzle Strike and Yomi, two really awesome games designed by David Sirlin. This guy's record is fucking impressive: he's an MIT grad, and he's been in charge of several serious design projects, including rebalancing Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo for their HD Remix incarnations, designing Kongregate's Kongai card game, and (although I haven't seen much tournament footage of him) being really good at Street Fighter. As you can probably tell, he's also a fighting game buff (who has helped run Evo in the past) and a brilliant game design blogger.

puzzlestrike_logo.png

The fact that it's really hard to explain what this game actually is is a testament to its originality. Sirlin touts it as a "card game played with chips instead of cards that simulates a puzzle video game (that doesn’t exist yet) that, in-turn, simulates a fighting game (that also doesn’t exist yet.)" Naturally, that description is awful, and a better analogy would be a deckbuilding game that essentially functions as Starcraft in a box. The basic idea is that you have a gem pile, which basically is a Tetris screen filling up, and each turn your pile automatically fills up. Your goal, therefore, is to use "Crash Gems" from your deck of chips to split up your own gems and send them to your opponent. At the start of the game, you pick a character, each with its own playstyle, and along the way, you buy chips from a bank to add to your deck to increase its power.

I have a hell of a lot of fun playing this game because of the extremely deep gameplay beyond its cute facade. In order to play well, you have to keep track of your economy, purples, gem pile, and puzzle chips to ensure that you have a more efficient and effective deck than your opponent so you can outlast him as his gem pile fills up. The character you choose at the beginning also plays a big influence on how your game develops. Argagarg, for instance, might function as a disruptor who likes to ruin his opponents' decks by filling them with useless "Wound" chips, while Rook is usually an economy-focused character who prefers to gather up big money, spend it on the most powerful chips, and then unleash an unrelenting barrage of gems in the endgame. The community has done some impressive strategy analysis on the game, so I'd recommend checking that out it you're interested in becoming better.

It's really hard to describe this game in a short paragraph, and I probably did a terrible job, so it's probably in your best interest to take a gander at the rules.

yomi_logo_web.png

If Puzzle Strike is the chip game version of Puzzle Fighter, then Yomi is the card game version of Street Fighter. Sirlin spent SIX FUCKING YEARS developing this game, and the results, to say the least, are stupendous. Yomi functions as a fighting game where each player plays with a deck of cards representing a character from the Fantasy Strike universe. There are ten different decks and, funnily enough, they're the same characters from Puzzle Strike. It's not like MtG--these decks are preconstructed and prebalanced, so there is no deckbuilding. Every character has normal attacks (2-10), special attacks (Jack, Queen, and King), and a super attack (Ace), along with two special Jokers, and each card is double-sided, meaning that the bottom of the card is different from the top. The basic gameplay is this: each player selects a card and plays it facedown in front of them, and then both players flip the cards to reveal them at the same time. The system is simple: Dodges and Blocks beat Attacks, Throws beat Dodges and Blocks, and Attacks beat Throws. Each Attack or Throw has a speed value, and if two Attacks or Throws are revealed, the faster Attack/Throw wins. If you land an Attack or Throw, you can follow up by playing more cards to form a "combo." Blocking an attack not only makes the opponent discard his attack, but it also lets you take your block back into your hand and lets you draw an ADDITIONAL card, putting you at an instant 2-card advantage and making blocking a huge deal. Dodging an attack lets you follow up with your own attack. The Jokers beat Attacks and Throws, but instead of doing damage, they let you search your deck for an Ace. Although Yomi has a very heavy rock-paper-scissors influence, the fact that there are unequal payoffs for each result makes the game infinitely more interesting than simple RPS.

Although I prefer the turn-based strategy of Puzzle Strike to the simultaneous psychology of Yomi, I will say this: Yomi is the most best conversion of one game media to another that I have ever played. When you tag someone with a small attack and then follow up with a combo, it truly feels like you're playing a fighting game, not something stupid like War. Even though I feel that it has less depth than Puzzle Strike, it also requires strategic play to be successful because each character has its own strengths and weaknesses. Rook, for instance, is a grappler relying heavily on his throws, while Valerie is a pixie character with long but low damage combos. I have no idea how Sirlin did it, but I honestly have nothing but praise for the game, and it truly deserves its Game of the Year award.

Again, I can't do this game justice in a couple of paragraphs, so take a look at the rules.

-----------

The best part about both of these games is that you don't actually have to buy them to play them. They're pretty expensive, with Puzzle Strike costing $60 (it used to be $150!) and Yomi a whopping $100 for the full game. The link at the very top of this post is a simulator for both Puzzle Strike and Yomi with fully functioning online play and, in the case of Yomi, matchmaking. The nice thing about the simulator is that it has a functioning framework, meaning it automates everything that can be automated and "knows the rules," so the games more like video games than card games. You will need to download the Unity Web Player to play, but that really isn't a big deal for what it's worth. Not very many people play at once, but hopefully we can change that!

I've played Puzzle Strike and it's amaaaaazyyyy, it was a tad slow online for me though so I haven't played lately. I've only played Yomi once for that reason, but I'd really like to get into it one day.

Out of all of Sirlin's games I've actually played Chess 2 the most (it's pretty much costless and I can get friends to play it). It's so fucking good. I assume I'm horrible at it, especially because I don't have any legitimate Chess experience, but it's just such brain candy.

Definitely looking forward to the actual fighting game he's gonna be designing (apparently he still needs programmers though), and the "uncollectable card game" thing.

Honestly, the sim has improved immensely since its early stages. It's still in beta, but it works amazingly well and it's probably faster than it was before. I really wish all of Sirlin's games were on it, including Chess 2. I glanced at the rules, and they seem really interesting.

Just bumping this to say that I am more than willing to teach anyone who doesn't feel like going through the rules the game. I really want to get people interested!

I'm actually surprised I've never really heard anyone talk about Kongai around here. I haven't played it, but it's supposed to be heavily based on competitive Pokemon.

I'll definitely have to check out the Puzzle Strike/Yomi sim sometime soon. This thread is a good excuse for me to bother with them again, hopefully other people become interested. >_>

Oh wow, nice avatar, heh. It's good to see that there are some people around here who are sorta kinda PS/Yomi fans.

Yeah, in the Kongai article, Sirlin talks about how he designed Kongai as a "more mature" version of Pokemon, but ironically, he vastly simplified the system, nothing that Pokemon required players to "internalize an unreasonable amount of data," including and especially the type chart. While my inner bias makes me disagree with a couple of his design choices (especially the "unreasonable amount of data" part--doesn't Starcraft make you memorize a comparable amount of information?), it's still really interesting to see how he went through with the design process. I especially like his use of an energy meter, and I've been wishing for a long time that Pokemon used one as well.

(The part that really struck me was where he claimed that little kids are better than adults at memorizing the type chart because they've been exposed to the franchise in their childhood--I'm probably guilty of this.)

Honestly, though, Kongai isn't that much fun, especially because it's a CCG and you get a bunch of crappy characters at the start. It's also pretty much dead--very few people have been playing it lately, and it's really hard to find matches to rank up to get more cards.

Oh wow, there are Yomi leaderboards? >_>

And yeah, the Pokemon criticism is interesting. I'm not sure it terribly applies to Pokemon itself, since most prospective players are likely very familiar with the type chart due to single player, but in terms of a "from scratch" competitive game it's a very valid concern.

Maybe a bit weird that I'm bumping this, but fantasystrike.com just officially launched and that's kind of a big deal and stuff! I just went through the nice little tutorials, and can definitely sense these games slowly enveloping my soul. Someone join me. >_>

I've always wanted to play Yomi ever since there was a big campaign for it by Valle on a fighting game stream. I might check it out soon!

I actually know one of the game testers for Yomi personally...he also showed me a Fantasy Strike-flavored version of Renier Knizia's En Garde, where your characters move back and forth, fighting to first contact and using each character's special abilities to win a best-of-five match. It's fun enough without stuff like Rook's Windmill Strike, which is basically an insta-win if he's right next to his opponent, but by adding the characters they each get their own unique playstyle and different favored draws.

Also, Valerie is obligatory fighting game bimbo. j/s

Back