Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO
EXOTIC WEBS

by Exotic64 and Vkhss

POKEPASTE TO THE TEAM

Introduction:
Half a year later and I'm back for another RMT; my 4th this generation, and in a completely different metagame to my last RMT. As many people know, I have been displeased at the laddering experience ever since the DLC1 fuckfest of the dreaded Ting Glowking Zap core, resulting in me playing much less ladder than before and mostly focusing on tour games, where I have found much more fun and creativity when it came to building teams. After returning to the ladder to test teams in the 1800s, I mostly ran into one of three archetypes - being Lando-T offense, Glimm/Samurott-h HO or Gliscor/Ting Balance. One common trait in all these archetypes that are popular and good in the meta right now are that they are lacking in removal, with Lando-T offenses often solely relying on a fast 310 Lando-T taunt lead set to prevent hazards from getting up, and Glimm/Sam Hyper Offenses having Glimmora's Mortal Spin on its lead set as the only removal, with the latter often having none at all, or bootspam. I'll get into how to play against each of the following archetypal matchups later in the RMT, but having noticed the trend of less removal in general/at all in the metagame, on top of the very low usage of Cinderace currently (which one could consider Ribombee's biggest opp), I decided to hit up one of my closest friends on the site Vkhss, who is also coincidentally THE webs expert which made the infamously annoying DLC1 webs that got spammed during that time period; if you were an active OU player during DLC1 you definitely would have seen/played against this. When building the webs, I was heavily inspired by the FV-Raptor Webs that were used in the recent SPL, and I felt it provided a solid fundamantal to the idea of the team I was envisioning. After playing around the FV-Raptor Webs, I had spotted some pretty noticeable holes on that team, such as a pretty poor matchup against fatter balances, such as this Teal-Mask Hazard Stack that has been getting popular lately, as well as being revenged too easily and getting trolled by Dragapult, which is one 'mon that is a struggle for every webs team as a result of its cringe utility and pivoting + boots. Hence, vk and I played around with the team and seeing what works the best. We made a new account - "Daddybuzzgoat" to ladder and try peak as high as we can get. Unfortunately, vk got busy with finals and I had gone on a tilt-streak earlier, so we called it quits for now at 2020 ELO. Our original team looked pretty much identical to the final version, but with Manaphy > Ogerpon-Wellspring at 310 speed and Tail Glow Rain Dance, however it didnt help versus the balance matchup much when Blissey and Clodsire hard wall it, which is why we decided to go for Wellspring, to pressure the balance mons of Gliscor, Dirge, Ting etc. very hard. I hope you enjoy the read.
Some extra ranting: normally I would have used a Weeknd song for these RMTs but my guy has cancelled the Australian stretch of his After Hours til Dawn tour after I spent 1000AUD on the best seats and VIP lmaooo so fuck you Abel keep beefing with Drake :puff:

Proof of Peak
(Rank 4 2019ELO "daddybuzzgoat")

Screen_Shot_2024-04-24_at_8.44.46_pm.png

POV: DaddyBuzzwole spends the same amount of time playing OU rather than posting

Detailed Breakdown of each Pokémon
:sv/Ribombee:

Ribombee
Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 8 HP / 136 Def / 196 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- Psychic Noise / Psychic​

Ribombee is the bread and butter of this team - setting up the webs and being a nuisance in general with Stun Spore + Psychic Noise. There are many Ribombee sets that could be run in this slot, however I have opted with the set used in Raptor and FV's webs team that was used during SPL. Ever since Deoxys-Speed has come out, Ribombee is no longer the fastest lead, and with 'mons such as Deoxys and Zamazenta being everywhere, and old taunters such as sash Meowscarada being out of commission, it is alright to stick with less speed than normal; this spread lets you outspeed Serperior and gives you enough bulk to survive a Triple Axel from standard Weaville 75% of the time, with rest being allocated into SpA. Psychic Noise is the 4th move of choice, as against bootspam balances it is really good at disturbing 'mons such as Clodsire, Gliscor and Garganacl from healing, which is important since these 'mons are very fat; less HP = easier to break. I have added Psychic on here because Iron Moth is quite a threat, if the opponent leads Iron Moth and clicks Substitute Psychic Noise actually goes through the Sub and does not break it which will be very problematic to deal with with the rest of the team, especially if it gets lucky with Fiery Dance boosts. Psychic lets you beat all offense leads as well as covering for Iron Moth, with a worse balance matchup as the tradeoff. Ribombee is a great lead against other offenses such as Glimm/Lando/Samurott; with Glimmora you want to get Webs up and try mindgame to outplay the Mortal Spins with Psychic Noise/Psychic, which almost 2HKOs all offensive Glimmora variants, worst case scenario if you are against non-removal it may be worth to Tera Steel to guarantee that webs go up. As for the latter two, you are always faster so you can always expect to get webs up.

:SV/Ogerpon-Wellspring:
Ogerpon-Wellspring
Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Trailblaze / Power Whip
- Ivy Cudgel
- Play Rough​

Wellspring is our main answer against bulkier teams and balance cores - I am running a pretty standard Wellspring set with Trailblaze, I personally like this set the most because getting that +1 speed on a switchout is super handy, especially threatening to kill Dragapult or Roaring Moon with Play Rough the next turn, which happenings surprisingly often considering the Wellspring switchins in the tier are almost non-existance bar roost Dragonite and grass types like Serp/Amoong which die to +2 Tera Water Ivy Cudgel if they are chipped. I have tried Power Whip and it is also a good option, makes the Stall matchup go from difficult to an instant W on preview. Power Whip hits super hard too, OHKOing Primarina is big especially for this team. Both great options.

:SV/Great Tusk:
Great Tusk
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Temper Flare
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin​

Great Tusk, the most versatile and flexible 'mon in the tier. I absolutely had to fit in Great Tusk onto my team, most webs teams lack removal, and in this metagame where spikespam is everywhere I feel like it is absolutely necessary to fit Great Tusk onto all webs teams, especially with how good its role compression is as well, serving as an insane wallbreaker when powered by Booster Attack, as well as being a reliable Kingambit check. I have decided to drop Bulk Up on this set in exchange with the rare Temper Flare, which has come in clutch more times than I can count. With the prevalence of Air Balloon on Kingambit and Gholdengo, having Temper Flare is extremely useful, especially for the latter. Tera Fire Temper Flare comfortably OHKOs both of the aforementioned 'mons after Headlong. Temper Flare is also useful for sniping Corviknight and Skarmory, which both also die/get to 1hp after a boosted Tera Fire Temper Flare. Great Tusk's power is monstrous thanks to its Booster Energy, and Headlong Rush is super spammable, leading to this 'mon taking over many games, especially against balance or stall. Being Tera Fire is also not only handy for dodging Dragapult Wisp, it also lets you turn the tides on 'mons such as Enamorus, Iron Valiant and Volcarona, then OHKOing all of them with Headlong/Ice Spinner. Volcarona is a big threat and if it starts Quiver Dancing you should get Tusk in ASAP to try destroy it with Tera Fire + Headlong. Defensive Volcarona does not die to 1 Headlong, but you don't die to 2 Fiery's either unless it gets a +1 boost, in which you revenge kill with Wellspring the next turn if possible (+2 0 SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ogerpon-Wellspring: 229-271 (76 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO).

:SV/Raging_Bolt:
Raging Bolt

Raging Bolt @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderclap
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt/Discharge​

Raging Bolt: the revenge killer of this team who also packs some insane dps. This Raging Bolt set maximises damage with Max Spa and Modest, and its Speed EVs allow it to outspeed Iron Valiant after Sticky Webs to prevent any encoring or revenge killing, as well as being 1 point faster than Roaring Moon too (courtesy of TPP for picking this up). This Raging Bolt set is pretty standard, with Calm Mind 3A being a very scary wallbreaker especially under webs, which is further bolstered by Bolt's amazing bulk. Raging Bolt is actually the 'mon I tera the most often - by turning Fairy you can flip the matchup on threats such as Dragapult, ID Zama, Kingambit. Often Tera is used lategame, and when there is a clear winpath with Raging Bolt, which happens quite often. Bolt also serves as an emergency switchin to Ogerpon, and dishing heavy damage back.

:SV/Gholdengo:
Gholdengo

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 72 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Make It Rain
- Hex
- Recover
- Thunder Wave​

Gholdengo is the spinblocker of the team and unlike normal webs, I have chosen to use the Thunder Wave Hex set courtesy of FV/Raptor once again. Whilst normal webs teams opt for an offensive Gholdengo, often with Nasty Plot and 3 attacks, I have ran both these sets and I have found the utility set to be much more valuable in game. Being able to punish traditional dark type switchins to Gholdengo such as Kingambit or Roaring Moon with a paralysis from Thunder Wave, makes it a very valuable asset to the team, on top of fucking over Volcarona if you catch it on the switch with T-Wave, since it gets 2HKOd by Hex no matter the set. This set is further complemented by its typing of Steel/Ghost, allowing for comfortable endgames against Utility Pult thanks to T-Wave, as well as being able to come in on Zamazenta and paralyse it whilst avoiding the 2HKO from Crunch. Against Clodsire teams, it is recommended to try Stun Spore the Clod with Ribombee as it allows Gholdengo to actually win the 1v1 thanks to Hex being a 3HKO, and playing with para-hax. I think the biggest merit of this set is it being not as tera reliant as the offensive set, which is forced to Tera Fairy every game theres a Kingambit if setting up. Nevertheless, Tera Fairy on this set is still amazing lategame as many teams struggle to break through Gholdengo, especially on balanced structures.

:SV/Roaring_Moon:
Roaring Moon

Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 152 HP / 136 Atk / 108 Def / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Acrobatics
- Brick Break / Earthquake / Taunt​

Last but not least is the powerhouse Roaring Moon. I have opted for an unorthodox EV spread (credit to xavgb), however this may just be the best on webs. Roaring Moon does not necessarily need Max Speed under webs, hence why I have invested a lot of bulk into it. 108 Speed lets you hit the 301 mark, just outspeeding Great Tusk, and 152 HP and 108 Defense ensure that you can live a Dragon Darts from a Mixed Utility Dragapult set, as well as eating U-turns much more comfortably from Lando-T without having to Tera Flying, giving it more setup potential. The bulk also enables Roaring Moon just enough breathing room to live revenge kills it often wouldn't; some prominent examples include Life Orb 196Atk Deoxys-Speed Superpower, which does around 80%, or Weaville Ice Shard only doing a mere 40% average, as well as eating up +2 Tera Dark Kingambit Sucker Punch with 5 fallen (50% chance against Black Glasses). Roaring Moon is the star of the show against many balanced structures, as it can Knock Off items such as Leftovers on Ting/Garg which may cause this team some annoyance. I have personally been running Brick Break on the last slot as a result of the massive influx of Air Balloon Kingambits on ladder, however Earthquake is a better move in general. Taunt is an option as the 4th move as well to destroy balances and fats; it causes teams a lot of trouble being unable to setup spikes or prevent setup with ID/Toxic; in addition, the bulk of this Roaring Moon set makes it very difficult to kill in the right matchups.

Threats:
:iron_moth:Iron Moth: Moth is very manageable for the team under webs, however I have seen many players abuse the Ribombee lead and lead Iron Moth then click Substitute, turning into a huge threat, often forcing a tera on Wellspring and requiring a sack if played incorrectly. I highly recommend leading Wellspring if against an Iron Moth Lando-t offense team, as it covers the leads of Lando/Samurott as well as the Moth. Glimm is a trickier one, Wellspring is the safest lead but it gets Tspikes up which are very annoying for this team due to lack of absorbers, if you load Ribombee into the Glimm (the best lead) and you get counterled you may have to sack Raging Bolt to break the substitute with Thunderclap then tera Wellspring, this is worst case scenario. However Ribombee into Glimm is favourable, so its a call to make. As stated above, Psychic > Psychic Noise is a reasonable option if you are struggling too much against Moth or your opponent is a Moth spammer (or offense spammer in general, frankly).

:volcarona:Volcarona: Massive threat if it is the sub swarm Bug-Buzz set, other sets are tricky too. Normally i go hard Tusk then tera fire + headlong rush against it becuase it should always OHKO offensive variants, defensive Volcarona is trickier but as long as you can get it to an 85% range or so then you will kill it. Roaring Moon is also an emergency check if its a defensive variant, you just have to get the 50/50 right on turning Flying or not against Tera Dragon blast sets.

:Cinderace:Cinderace: Rough to get webs court changed back, but definitely a playable matchup. Abuse Cinderace as setup fodder, try get a setup move like CM/SD every single time it comes in to punish it. If it comes in on Gholdengo you can click TWave since you get momentum if it kills you, or alternatively you paralyse it which is really good longterm for Wellspring.

:dondozo::clodsire:Stall: Unfortunately not being Power Whip Wellspring hurts the Stall matchup hard, it is almost impossible to win if the opponent is good, you just never break through 2 SpDef tanks and a Dondozo, although if Dondozo is asleep with 0 turns its actually surprisingly winnable in this sequence since you can force it out with Raging Bolt then double back to Booster Attack Great Tusk; as long as you dont roll a Curse you actually win by 3HKOing the Dondozo then playing 50/50s with Gliscor. You can overwhelm stall if you get good momentum, if you wish to use this team and actually win vs Stall, go Power Whip > Trailblaze on Wellspring and Nasty Plot Psyshock on Gholdengo for a free 6-0 matchup.

:torkoal: :walking_wake: Sun: Annoying matchup, but very doable. Try get webs up if possible, but if they have a Hatterene always click Moonblast vs Torkoal and chip it down, you may be able to still get webs up but not immediately. Always keep Ribombee and Wellspring alive as sacks against Walking Wake, it will normally always Flamethrower which lets you get setup opportunity on Roaring Moon. Tera Fairy Raging Bolt is also amazing lategame versus most traditional suns. Once Hatterene is dead, feel free to get Webs up and spinblock if necessary with Gholdengo, it's fine to be used as a sack too since Dengo will not be very helpful in the Sun matchup besides spamming T-Wave and blocking Torkoal Rapid Spin.

Replays (1850-2000+)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2109722184?p2 vs datblackbattler - Tera Electric Kyurem Screens
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2110273331?p2 vs gen10god - 2000+ Teal-Mask Spikespam Balance
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2110333122?p2 vs i<3theag3ncy! - Electric Terrain HO
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2110336673 vs dfxscvg - 2000+ Glimm HO
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2110363673 vs OooH alligatoo - Ting-Lu Spikespam
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2110380118 vs zombiealtariaa1 - 2000+ Glimm HO
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2110420476 vs OUKU Ouken - Fat Balance Matchup

Conclusion and S/Os
Despite Sticky Webs teams generally considered "cheese" or inconsistent, I have found a lot of success running this team in top ladder. The meta is alright in my opinion, offense is amazing, especially Lando-T and Bootspam Sam-H teams, and this webs team has a great matchup vs offense as a whole. Balance is very solid too, but much harder to pilot, and luckily this webs team is strong versus balance as well, making it a super solid ladder team if you want to climb some ELO. I have really enjoyed playing this metagame and I find it to be skillful and diverse contrary to popular belief, although I will be voting BAN on the upcoming Volcarona suspect. If you have any questions regarding the team, feel free to reply here or PM me on discord "arctozolt" or on PS as Exotic64. Happy laddering and enjoy the team!

This wouldn't be a complete RMT without shoutouts to my closest bros and people who have supported me over the last year.
Vkhss and sufys My partners in crime and the guys I have the closest bonds to on this site. It is a shame that our little trio group chat on cord with over 130k messages in it got deleted, but nevertheless the time and memories we spent laddering or VCing or building will be cherished for sure. Thanks for being the best test partners and friends I could ever ask for on Smogon. To vk: I am so happy you came and helped me with making this webs team, if it wasnt for you telling me to come have some fun and get back to ladder I wouldn't have made this team lmaoo, even if ladder sucks these days it certainly was fun making a new account and speedrunning to 2ks ASAP. I'm so happy for your growth as a player too, I still remember the days you were hardstuck 1700s and now you have come and won OUPL and will be starting for Team India in WCOP soon. Best of luck for your final exams and let's keep cooking as always, make sure to HMU for another ladder session in the near future haha. To sufys: man I am so glad we always argue whether Apothecary Diaries is deserving of a 9 on MAL because you are one of the most realest and ambitious dudes I have ever met LOL I am so glad we share similar interests especially in the field of anime becuase I could talk for hours on end on why x show is good or not LMAO. Anyways you've prolly been the best test partner ive ever had during my mons career, you are so willing to play whenever and your drive and passion to win is admirable. If only you could drop the pessimistic attitude then you will truly become the goat of the lower tiers, I'm sure of it kek. I will be patiently awaiting for your return to OU and @TeamUK get this guy on the WCOP Roster at least as a Sub, he is geniunely one of the most dedicated people I have ever worked with on this site lmaoo. Best of luck for BLT, keep sending me the random "GMs" or random "Yo"s especially during the mornings on Discord, it gets me in a good mood for the rest of the day ROFL

MAVERICK SHOOTERS The person who has probably supported me the most during my mons career, it's been a blessing to watch your growth as a player, from being that annoying Roblox kid with that fucking punchable AF profile pic to getting drafted to SPL and having a great debut in WCOP.. you are one of the most creative builders I've ever worked with (even though you SUCK at the game lmaooo) all banter aside you have a great personality bro and we are pretty much soulmates at this point, lets keep playing chess and hopping in VCs because you just know i will beat you in everything o7

TDNT prolly my real fucking soulmate on this site outside of Mav LMAO, my brother I am so glad you drafted me for PTPL because I had some of the best time on the Lilycove Jirachis to this day, and I am so glad we got to know each other, because seriously Uncle Tio u definitely are one of the kindest,hard working and talented people I've met on mons (also lucky LOL), congrats on the incredible SPL record, lets win ADPL together and team more in the future. Of course every Thursday is a good day because discussing the JJK Leaks with you and Baloor is just too fun and hype. Can't wait to see what Gege has cooked for the upcoming weeks.

Finally I gotta shoutout the MDRRRR Council TDNT Vkhss Joya Skyrio Carkoala BlazingDark Suzuya the GOATS, yall know why you are here, thanks for creating the best team environment I have ever had, Mister Sauce Senor Salsa Monsieur Sauce 酱先生 MDRRRR

Some other s/os:
Finchinator and the rest of the Celestic Clodsires: my first time managing a tour and it was a massive fucking blast, thanks so much for the guidance Finch and for being such a supportive and super active comanager, all of you guys in the Clodsires are amazing and honestly in another world where I never made Hypnosis Iron Valiant we may have outright won the tour.. LOL Thanks for all the good times, another of some of the best team tour environments I've had to date.

The ladder bros and goats of SVOU Vert Storm Zone Stunfisk2140 leng loi AK Drifting To Vert and SZ: Thanks so much over the last year or so with helping with teams or giving me ideas to build with or supplying me with teams, yall are easily the GOATS of Gen 9 and there is no dispute, the best players to grace this gen with ease, from ladder to tour champs. Looking forward to your upcoming STours trophy Vert and OLT Storm. Stunfisk we test so much lower gens and I've practically learnt ORAS just from playing test games with you LMAOO, appreciate your time bro, waiting for your popoff in the tours scene, you are incredibly talented. Leng Akalli and Drifting - yall are super chill and its always fun playing each other for tests or laddering together, be sure to hmu for more tests or laddering sessions LOL

Baloor Bro we cook so much about everything in Discord and i am so glad you come to me whenever you have anything to do with filling in the holes of teams or ideas for teams because its always such a blast when we make stuff together, you are up there with one of the most ambitious players and I envy your constant determination and effort to do whatever it takes to win. Looking forward to Canada absolutely curbstomp the qualifiers for WCOP, best of luck my friend. Keep sending me the JJK Tiktok edits LMAO they are golden, ofc nothing beats the hype on leaks day

Leavers Ina fable Hiko The people who got me into competitive mons, and my best student and the prodigy himself. Leavers: from when we started our sessions back in early 2023 when I hit a goal to hit 1600s on the ladder there was no way I couldve foreseen where I currently am LMAO Bro without your guidance and help with getting me solid with the fundamentals of SVOU I likely would not even be playing mons right now or anywhere as immersed as I am in the competitive tours scene right now. Obviously the next step for me is starting in WCOP and SPL but I will always respect you as the one who started my whole SVOU career LMAOOO To Ina: I was never really interested in lower tiers at all but thanks to our sessions together for SS I have come to really enjoy playing the tier every once in a while. Although im definitely not as good at SS at someone like Leavers LOL I can say with certainty that you've sparked my interest in that field, and recently I have been learning and getting better at SS SM and ORAS LOL Finally to Hiko: bro when I started my sessions with you its like I knew you had the talent and everything for the game but you just needed more practice, ever since I had grabbed you for OUPL your growth has been exponential man, it is really amazing to see you striving and dominating the SVOU pool in every unofficial you sign up for. Hoping to see you play for France on the main stage during WCOP this year

TPP my man we havent talked in a while but i find it so funny that our first conversations started as a result of helping false get a remake for his RBY game LOL you are such a friendly person and I really enjoy talking all things POGO mons Japan teambuilding everything with you.. make sure to HMU more LOL everytime we have a conversation I feel like I could just go on forever ahaha, best of luck with WCOP coming up soon!

Finally big s/os to my bros in the OU Room, TrainerAid and Stall Empire, you guys know who you are, its always nice chatting with yall about anything kek
If I've missed anyone I am sorry, thanks for all the support :pray:

(I will prolly not do shoutouts for a long time so thats why I've dumped everything into this RMT LOL)

Last Plug LOL
I will be playing MAVERICK SHOOTERS at around 11pm EST on Saturday May 4th as a part of the upcoming Fight Nights to celebrate Stall Empire hitting 1200 members, be sure to make it if you want to watch Mav get folded again and join the Stall Empire Discord
Other fights will include DaddyBuzzwole vs Heatranator, CTC vs leng loi and the main event quacc vs knexhawk
https://discord.gg/qeSxDmBg7c

8f1l6f-Photoroom.jpg

Last edited:

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
Cursed ladder username!!!
Bulky ribombee is a nice touch I'd probably forfeit if I hit all 3 triple axel hits and still didn't kill + got paralyzed or moonblasted.
Nice team

Stunfisk2140

I COULD BE BANNED!
The temperature was rising in the forums cuz my bro dropped some heat. Wonderful RMT and impressive peak.
:swole: Keep going at it. The future is bright

1714502511623.png

your team is good but honestly why bother rmting stuff just to farm likes when u get ppl like this not worth it. he didnt lead ribombee vs a webs weak team and blamed the spread xdd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)