ORAS OU Custap Hazard Lead HO

Now that Landorus-Incarnate seems to be firm on its way to Ubers, it's time for us to restart playing stall play moar HO! This is my first ORAS OU team. It's built to set up hazards with a suicide lead, protect those hazards, force switches with offensive pressure (with a little bit of help from a dual Intimidate core) so that those hazards do their work, and finally clean up worn down teams with any of the powerful attackers on the team, depending on the situation.

So here's the team:

upload_2015-5-28_17-5-6.png

Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

So I needed a lead that can lay SR, of which there are many choices. Then I also want it to lay Spikes. That narrows things down quite a bit (Omastar, Forretress, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Crustle, and Smeargle are the fully evolved ones not banned to Ubers). I also want it to stop sweepers from setting up, which narrows it down to Skarmory (access to Whirlwind) and Smeargle (access to... well, everything). In the end, Skarmory is chosen over Smeargle for its access to Sturdy and hence the ability to use Custap Berry. Its main role is to set up SR and as many layers of Spikes, and then faint. Custap helps it get one extra layer of Spikes when it is brought down to Sturdy, or knock itself out with Brave Bird (NO DEFOG OR RP FOR YOU). Whirlwind is used when something attempts to set up when we're laying hazards. I considered using Iron Head over Brave Bird to stop Mega Diancie and its darned Magic Bounce, but in the ended I decided Brave Bird has the better general utility in creating free turns.

upload_2015-5-28_17-5-42.png

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Bisharp's ability Defiant makes the opponent think twice before they Defog away our hazards. The most common Defoggers are Latios and Latias. 52 EVs in Sp. Def so that Bisharp can survive a Hidden Power Fire from the twins after SR, so we can more reliably click Pursuit against them. Maximum attack to hit as hard as possible, and the rest is dumped in Speed. Pursuit is just a terrific move in picking off weakened foes. Worn down attackers wary about Sucker Punch may decide to switch out and just get nailed by Pursuit. Even if Pursuit trapping isn't required in a battle, Bisharp still has excellent utility in softening things with Dread Plate boosted Knock Off or revenge kill with Sucker Punch. STAB Iron Head is there to get the coverage on Fairy types that resist Dark while hitting most Fighting and Dark types neutrally.

upload_2015-5-28_17-6-34.png

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Gengar doubles as a spin blocker and a wall breaker. It has excellent synergy with Bisharp as a hazard removal stopping dual. Gengar can resist the Ground and Fighting attacks Bisharp is weak to, while Bisharp helps in tanking Ghost, Dark and Psychic attacks for Gengar. Its moves are pretty obvious. Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave are its best STABs. Ghost is an excellent attack type in OU, and Poison nails Fairy types. Sludge Wave also hits harder than Shadow Ball when both are neutral. Focus Blast is really important to hurt Tyranitar and Bisharp. Both can checkmate Gengar with Pursuit and resist Gengar's dual STAB, but neither can take a 4x SE Focus Blast on the switch (and a lot of times the switch is quite obvious). Taunt excels against defensive teams, allowing Gengar to win the 1v1 against Chansey and stopping slower Defogs from the likes of Zapdos and Mew.

upload_2015-5-28_17-7-18.png

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Keldeo provides the coverage on a variety of troublesome things: Bisharp, Mold Breaker Excadrill, Tyranitar, Landorus-T/I, Gliscor and Heatran. Meanwhile, Bisharp can easily dispatch Lati@s for Keldeo, while both Bisharp and Gengar can threaten Celebi. Both Scald and Icy Wind are pretty safe choices against offensive teams. STAB Scald backed by Specs hits hard even when resisted, and the chance to burn serves to both wear down its checks against defense and cripple physical attackers against offense. Icy Wind may be weak, but it has notable coverage against Lati@s and Dragonite (also hitting Garchomp 4x SE and circumventing its higher and often invested Phys. Def). Its Speed drop effect also makes it a less devastating move to be locked on when the opponent switches in a set up attacker after something's fainted. Hydro Pump is the move against defensive threats, while Secret Sword gives it good coverage (taking out Chansey easily, for one).

upload_2015-5-28_17-7-59.png

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Slowbro, Talonflame and Azumarill wrecking Keldeo's day? Enter Mega Manectric. Keldeo's common checks are covered pretty well between Manectric and Bisharp. Mega Manectric also appreciates the removal of Celebi and Lati@s, as well as Bisharp checking stuff like Chansey / Clefable, and KOing Scarf Landorus-T with Sucker Punch at +1 after SR. By itself, Mega Manectric is an excellent late game cleaner, while in the early game it forces a lot of switches thanks to Volt Switch, its sheer speed and offensive power, and Intimidate forcing out physical attackers. This set is pretty much the only viable set for Mega Manectric to run. Volt Switch gains momentum, something critical for an offensive team like this. Thunderbolt is the more powerful STAB which is used mainly in cleaning. Overheat has a few important targets like Ferrothorn, Excadrill and Scizor, while Hidden Power Ice forms pseudo BoltBeam coverage against things like Garchomp, Landorus forms, Dragonite and Gliscor.

upload_2015-5-28_17-8-49.png

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

The team is still a bit weak to Ground spam (again, Mold Breaker Excadrill). Lando-T is added to address this issue. It forms a dual Intimidate VoltTurn core with Mega Manectric, which pulls so much weight against offensive teams, forcing things out and racking up passive damage, scouting and gaining momentum with VoltTurn... The only danger here is of course Bisharp, which is checked by Keldeo. A Scarf helps Landorus-T in outspeeding fast Electric types that check Keldeo (which is important because they almost always carry an Ice type coverage). By itself, Landorus-T is a good revenge killer against a few Dragon Dance users like Adamant Mega Charizard-X (if it sets up -- which it can on a few things -- it can only be killed otherwise through our shaky Sucker Punch), Gyarados (Mega or no Mega), Dragonite (after SR) as well as most unboosted threats. With a Scarf equipped it's also fast enough to clean up late game with Earthquake, after opposing Ground immunes are removed.

Threats to the team:

Magic Bounce: if the opponent is smart enough in identifying this team, they can anti-lead Skarmory with Mega Diancie or Mega Sableye, which completely negates our game plan. Usually I lead with something else if I spot a Magic Bounce user, but this Skarmory is pretty much dead weight if not led with which means I'm playing essentially 5v6.

Rotom-Wash: the damned washer enjoys a positive match-up against everything on this team. Its access to Volt Switch and the fact it has positive match-ups often spell a loss of momentum on our side. It can definitely be worn down enough to be broken through, but Levitate protecting it from Spikes makes wearing it down a harder task as well.

Mega Venusaur: again, this thing enjoys a good match-up against most of this team. The only exception is Gengar, which wins the 1v1 but hates getting smacked with a Sleep Powder or Leech Seed on the switch. Mega Venusaur is even harder to wear down than Rotom thanks to it having a better recovery move in Synthesis.

Kyurem-Black: Its something else that should the opponent choose to lead with, will completely shutdown Skarmory. Kyurem-Black can OHKO Skarmory through Sturdy with its Teravolt Fusion Bolt, so not even a single layer of hazard :/

Other notes:

Match-up against stall: Gengar and Keldeo are the stars here. Bisharp is also very valuable in removing Leftovers and Eviolites and picking off weakened threats with Pursuit to break down Stall cores.

Match-up against offense: Mega Manectric and Landorus-T are key in fighting for momentum, which is critical in offense vs. offense match-up. Bisharp is also useful with its Sucker Punch.

Hazard control: Defog is an obvious no-no, as it removes our own hazards set up by a suicide lead. As for Rapid Spin, personally I feel it's a momentum killer, and this team isn't particularly weak to entry hazards: no mons are weak to SR, with two resisting it; two mons are immune to Spikes and T-Spikes; Bisharp has a field day against Sticky Web. Only Mega Manectric is vulnerable to all forms of entry hazards, but it's not like it's 2x or 4x weak to SR or anything, and I don't think Mega Manectric is enough of a reason to mandate Rapid Spin.

Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 SpA
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Hey there, I really like the idea of your HO with a Custap Berry Skarmory for Spikes and Stealth Rock however I would like to suggest a few changes to make the team better imo n_n
  • Firstly, it might be useful to run Taunt on your Skarmory instead of Whirlwind to win against things like slow Garchomp that doesn't run enough speed for positive nature base 70s and prevent them from getting Stealth Rocks up. It also helps against things like Ferrothorn so that you can prevent hazards on your side of the field which your team greatly appreciates. Whirlwind is less useful in this situation since you're using Skarmory as a suicide lead.
  • Secondly, you might want to consider replacing Landorus-T for something like Tornadus-T to help deal with your Mega-Venusaur weakness or other bulky grass types in general. With Assault Vest it also helps to deal with things like Gengar/Lando-I(if it remains unbanned) while hitting back with a strong Hurricane or Knock Off.
  • Lastly, while Gengar may be a ghost type however it the most common Rapid Spinner right now is Starmie which outspeeds Gengar and OHKO it with Psyshock regardless if it's Defensive or Offensive so it might not be the best Spin Blocker however it is an excellent Stall breaker with Taunt and 3 Attacks. :]

Really great team imo, hope I helped.

Hey there, I really like the idea of your HO with a Custap Berry Skarmory for Spikes and Stealth Rock however I would like to suggest a few changes to make the team better imo n_n
  • Firstly, it might be useful to run Taunt on your Skarmory instead of Whirlwind to win against things like slow Garchomp that doesn't run enough speed for positive nature base 70s and prevent them from getting Stealth Rocks up. It also helps against things like Ferrothorn so that you can prevent hazards on your side of the field which your team greatly appreciates. Whirlwind is less useful in this situation since you're using Skarmory as a suicide lead.
  • Secondly, you might want to consider replacing Landorus-T for something like Tornadus-T to help deal with your Mega-Venusaur weakness or other bulky grass types in general. With Assault Vest it also helps to deal with things like Gengar/Lando-I(if it remains unbanned) while hitting back with a strong Hurricane or Knock Off.
  • Lastly, while Gengar may be a ghost type however it the most common Rapid Spinner right now is Starmie which outspeeds Gengar and OHKO it with Psyshock regardless if it's Defensive or Offensive so it might not be the best Spin Blocker however it is an excellent Stall breaker with Taunt and 3 Attacks. :]

Really great team imo, hope I helped.

Hey thanks for the advice! I tried out Taunt on Skarmory and so far I'm liking the change.

I'm more hesitant to change Landorus-T to Tornadus-T for a few reasons:

1. Stealth Rock weakness. I know Tornadus-T has Regenerator but still it's a problem. However, this is a relatively minor thing.

2. Compounding an Electric weakness. If Lando-T is gone, then the only Electric resist is Manectric (it loses Lightning Rod after MEvo so the immunity is temporary). Besides getting worn down easily, leaving me potentially without a switch in to fast Electric types, it also loses 1v1 against things like Raikou.

Mega Venusaur is a problem. I'm thinking perhaps running Hidden Power Flying on Keldeo?

Finally Gengar. If I'm correct with my observations, the most common spinners are Starmie and Excadrill, and Gengar loses to both. But I feel it's still ok, because Starmie cannot spin on anything other than Keldeo, while Excadrill cannot spin on anything at all (maybe Bisharp but Sucker Punch still deals a lot of damage and Excadrill has to choose from killing Bisharp and never gets to spin or spin and getting KOed by Sucker + Pursuit). And these are all assuming they get a free switch. But in situations where they do get a free switch in (like Keldeo locked on a wrong move or something), I feel comfortable sacking Gengar into them to get back the momentum while preserving our hazards.

In any case, Gengar is an attacker to begin with, and it's so valuable against Stall I feel its place is still justified :)

I see that you recognize Magic Bouncers as a primary threat to the team, especially lead ones! You can fix this relatively easily by running Iron Head on Skarmory, which provides an easy way to OHKO Mega Diancie, over Brave Bird. Unfortunately, no such easy fix exists for Mega Sableye, which can especially give your team a bit of a problem should it get a Calm Mind boost up.

I see that you recognize Magic Bouncers as a primary threat to the team, especially lead ones! You can fix this relatively easily by running Iron Head on Skarmory, which provides an easy way to OHKO Mega Diancie, over Brave Bird. Unfortunately, no such easy fix exists for Mega Sableye, which can especially give your team a bit of a problem should it get a Calm Mind boost up.

You're absolutely right in Magic Bounce wrecking this team, especially Mega Sableye. I've tried both Iron Head and Brave Bird, and I can't decide which one I like more :/ I'll probably stick with Iron Head for now.

Back