Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic (1975)

Aerosmith-ToysintheAttic.jpg

Genre - Hard Rock

This was a very important album in Aerosmith's career. This was the album that broke Aerosmith into the mainstream. This was the album that silenced all the Rolling Stones fan boys that Aerosmith is a different band (although at the time Steven Tyler and Mick Jagger did look a lot a like). This album has some of the best music Aerosmith ever created. Toys in the Attic is to this day Aerosmith's highest selling album going 8x Platinum.

Toys in the Attic - The title track of the album is rather great. This up tempo song has a lot great guitar riffs and a great solo. Toys in the Attic is rather short though, although it is fine just that way. A lot of nice energy to get the album started. 9/10

Uncle Salty -
Pretty mellow song up until the guitar solo which turns things up nice. Steven Tyler's vocals are rather good on this song. Years later Aerosmith would do another song that is similar, lyrics wise anyway titled Janie's Got a Gon. 9/10

Adam's Apple -
Adam? Eve? Eden? Well first things popping into my mind from those lyrics are that story from the Bible. Adam's Apple has some great guitar that is rather bluesy and the lyrics themselves are not bad. 9.5/10

Walk This Way -
One of Aerosmith's most famous songs. The music on Walk This Way is rather funky and unique. Walk This Way has some of the best riffs of all time as well as an awesome guitar solo. Years later this song would end up saving Aerosmith's dying career when they performed it with Run DMC. 9/10

Big Ten Inch Record -
This is a cover of an old 1930s song originally by Fred Weismantel. Overall Big Ten Inch Record is the worse song off of Toys in the Attic. Not that it's bad it is just a bit lacking. 6.5/10

Sweet Emotion -
It pisses me off when kids these days hear this playing on the radio and turn it off because they think it is a Country song. A talk box effect is used for the intro of the song. One of the things that make this song for me is Tom Hamilton's bassline. As good as the bassline is do not forget the great guitar work as well as the awesome ending guitar solo. 9/10

No More No More -
When people think of Aerosmith these days they think I Don't Want to Miss a Thing. When I think of Aerosmith I think of this song. Opening with a beautiful acoustic guitar riff comes one of Aerosmith's best songs ever created. Steven Tyler's vocals sound really awesome here and the chorus although repetitive is a lot of fun. This song has a wonderful ending guitar solo. 10/10

Round and Round -
Heaviest song on the album and just might be Aerosmith's heaviest song overall. The main riffs on this song were done by Brad Whitford and this song is rather weird because the vocals on here have some weird effect to it. 8.5/10

You See Me Crying -
It is an unwritten rule that an Aerosmith album must end with a ballad song. This song is beautiful and amazing. You See Me Crying opens up with Steven Tyler playing piano, and the rest of the band comes in later on as well as an added orchestra. Steven Tyler's vocals on this song are sung rather soothing and beautiful, the lyrics fit that description too. When it comes to ballads Aerosmith do a damn good job with them and unlike the ending song from the next album Rocks, this song is not to short. 10/10

Overall -
Toys in the Attic and Rocks are among Aerosmiths two best albums. The only weak part about Toys in the Attic is the song Big Ten Inch Record. Looking for a great 1970s album that is not Led Zeppelin? Look no further because Toys in the Attic delivers a great album.

Back