Aerosmith - Rocks

Aerosmith - Rocks (1976)

Aerosmith-Rocks.jpg

Rocks is the fourth studio album by the American Hard Rock band Aerosmith and was released on May 3, 1976.

Genre - Hard Rock

Steven Tyler - lead vocals, backing vocals,
Joe Perry - lead guitar, backing vocals, lead vocals
Brad Whitford - rhythm guitar
Joey Kramer - drums, percusion
Tom Hamilton - bass guitar, backing vocals

Back in the Saddle
- Powered by the simple meaning of sex and cowboys comes Back in the Saddle. The intro to this song builds up very well leading into Steven Tyler's cat like vocals screaming "I'm Back!". Steven Tyler's screaming vocals are awesome on this song, not to loud but not to overwhelming. The main riff of the song was written on a six string bass played by Joe Perry, although Tom Hamilton still played the regular bass. Overall this song has some really nice riffs. 9/10

Last Child - This is Brad Whitford's best effort that features his opening notes, riffs, and guitar solo. The intro starts off slow and after 20 seconds it gets into a hard rocky blues sound. Steven Tyler does drums on this song and his voice here is simple and has a beautiful sound to it. I like the chorus Steven's singing is awesome there. The song fades out with police sirens leading into the next song Rats in the Cellar. 9/10

Rats in the Cellar - A Yardbird's influenced track and the polar opposite of Toys in the Attic. The song starts off fast and goes to normal speed, then goes fast again. This song has some of the coolest solos by the band. 7.5/10

Combination - Joe Perry's first solo effort and is damn good, although not really so much solo since Steven Tyler is on backing vocals. This is one of Aerosmith's best songs and it never really gets a lot of mention. Combination has a lot of great riffs which make the song totally awesome. 10/10

Sick as a Dog - A beautiful harmony like riff opens up this song into a simple effective power chord riff. Steven Tyler's singing with riffs blend in well. The way this sound was recored was rather unique, because all the band members are changing up instruments. Overall this song is pretty damn good. 9.5/10

Nobody's Fault - This is Brad Whitford's favorite Aerosmith song, as well as a favorite of Slash and James Hetfield. The song starts with the sound of guitar fading in and out, then you hear a door opening if you're listening real closely. Once the door opens Brad Whitford kicks in with a short guitar solo. Most of the song's sound stays the same throughout rather well. After the second chorus there is an awesome incredible guitar solo. This song is one of my favorite Aerosmith songs. 10/10

Get the Lead Out - I use to dislike this song but after a couple of listens it has grown on me. This song has some awesome guitar work, simple catchy lyrics, and hell Steven Tyler even plays harmonica on here. Get the Lead Out is a really nice chill out relax song. 9/10

Lick and a Promise - Another song I use to dislike but it grew on me too. The fastest song on the album opens up with Joey Kramer's drumming and a rather poppy guitar riff leading into Steven Tyler's simple vocals and catchy vocals. This song at the end has six guys screaming more into the microphone, the sound of those six guys sounds like millions live. 7/10

This song is about winning over the audience, which is one of the hardest things to do. - Steven Tyler

Home Tonight - The song sounds a lot like the reminiscent of two other Aerosmith songs known as Dream On and You See Me Crying. This song has a beautiful piano playing and beautiful but short lyrics. The song ends with a nice guitar solo, the only down side to this song is that it is way to short. Overall it is a great way to end this album. 10/10

Overall - Aerosmith at their finest, Rocks easily ties Toys in the Attic for best Aerosmith album. If you're looking for a great 70s album this is for you.

Trivia - Kurt Cobain lists Rocks as one of his favorite albums in his journals. Slash blew off an older girl he was trying to have sex with once she played this album. Slash forgot all about her.

The foundations of their music are pretty basic and not show-casing of instrumental talent but there's some subtle complexity in what they write, and I gotta agree this is probably their finest, it starts and finishes great and has a cohesive sound that maybe wasn't quite as present on Toys. Last Child is personally my favorite off the album, just has a real addicting rhythm and the lyrics work well too, certainly goes to show Brad's importance to the band. Bluesy and sleazy and propulsive and groovy, it's quite a rock and roll album for America's rock and roll band, thanks for the review :)

Back