not to be pretentious but yall should really read this… C.H.A.T. (Come Here for All Talk)

I think the trailer looks pretty good. There are some visual touches I don't like – the texturing on the Creeper and Steve's design come to mind – but I support the broad strokes. It seems to follow in the footsteps of the Mario Movie, where the focus is immersing audiences in a fun, pre-existing-attachments world over narrative depth, and I think that's A-OK. The Mario Movie was certainly a lot better than many video game movies that came before it, after all – "worst possible outcome" is hyperbolic here in a world with video game movies like Warcraft and Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li. Unlike Mario, Minecraft doesn't have a great cast of in-game characters to use, so bringing in real humans seems like a natural choice. My suspicion of using Steve / Alex / other in-game characters is complicated and not fully formed, so I'll just briefly comment. There's a danger of being more literally faithful than spiritually faithful to your source material, creating a stilted, derivative, trite, even lazy product a la Tales of Earthsea (the movie). The spirit of Steve and Alex is that they are generic everymen who exist to allow humans to do stuff in the world, so "humans do stuff in the world" feels natural. I'm encouraged that the writers are not staying too literal and keeping Steve as an everyman, but as a specific character with a personality, and especially that they don't seem slavishly reverent towards him.

Aside from some specifics, I like the visual direction. The environments and some creatures like the Piglins look lovely, preserving Minecraft's aesthetic stylings with a bit of touch-up, the refinements meaning I don't get an actual physical headache like with the actual game's base textures. My well-being aside, I think perfect replication of the in-game textures would be another over-literal move that doesn't preserve the spirit of the environments. Again, my pov here is complicated and not fully formed - maybe I'll get around to ironing that out at some point.

Reader, if you have genuine hope for the movie but are dismayed by this trailer, remember how sour and skeptical people were on the Mario Movie before it came out. Video game movies are in a far better place than they used to be, and there's plenty of room for cautious optimism.

I think the trailer looks pretty good. There are some visual touches I don't like – the texturing on the Creeper and Steve's design come to mind – but I support the broad strokes. It seems to follow in the footsteps of the Mario Movie, where the focus is immersing audiences in a fun, pre-existing-attachments world over narrative depth, and I think that's A-OK. The Mario Movie was certainly a lot better than many video game movies that came before it, after all – "worst possible outcome" is hyperbolic here in a world with video game movies like Warcraft and Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li. Unlike Mario, Minecraft doesn't have a great cast of in-game characters to use, so bringing in real humans seems like a natural choice. My suspicion of using Steve / Alex / other in-game characters is complicated and not fully formed, so I'll just briefly comment. There's a danger of being more literally faithful than spiritually faithful to your source material, creating a stilted, derivative, trite, even lazy product a la Tales of Earthsea (the movie). The spirit of Steve and Alex is that they are generic everymen who exist to allow humans to do stuff in the world, so "humans do stuff in the world" feels natural. I'm encouraged that the writers are not staying too literal and keeping Steve as an everyman, but as a specific character with a personality, and especially that they don't seem slavishly reverent towards him.

Aside from some specifics, I like the visual direction. The environments and some creatures like the Piglins look lovely, preserving Minecraft's aesthetic stylings with a bit of touch-up, the refinements meaning I don't get an actual physical headache like with the actual game's base textures. My well-being aside, I think perfect replication of the in-game textures would be another over-literal move that doesn't preserve the spirit of the environments. Again, my pov here is complicated and not fully formed - maybe I'll get around to ironing that out at some point.

Reader, if you have genuine hope for the movie but are dismayed by this trailer, remember how sour and skeptical people were on the Mario Movie before it came out. Video game movies are in a far better place than they used to be, and there's plenty of room for cautious optimism.
I don't like that it's another "real people stuck in video game" story, and it also seems like they're at least somewhat copying Legends with the nether army thing, but the nether amrmy is cool so whatever. For the most part however, I agree with you. The cgi looks beautiful, the animals look great and don't even get me started on how awesome the ghasts look. Ghasts are cool. As long as they don't fuck up the endermen, I'll be perfectly happy with the visuals. Oh yeah, there'd better be endermen, or I'm revolting

Last edited:
Tangentially related to the earlier Smash discussion: We'll know when we are finally getting a truly great Shonen Jump crossover game that is actually serious about celebrating the genre's history when a substantial chunk of the roster is dedicated to Kinnikuman and Fist of the North Star characters

Tangentially related to the earlier Smash discussion: We'll know when we are finally getting a truly great Shonen Jump crossover game that is actually serious about celebrating the genre's history when a substantial chunk of the roster is dedicated to Kinnikuman and Fist of the North Star characters
so true yung dramps. you are my king
this movie is gonna suck ass (we're all gonna watch it anyways
i am not going to watch it it looks shit. why the fuck is there a minecraft film what has happened to society. also i didn't watch the mario film but i just know that was fucking shite also. can we go back to makeing good films please. does anyone remember good films

i am not going to watch it it looks shit. why the fuck is there a minecraft film what has happened to society. also i didn't watch the mario film but i just know that was fucking shite also. can we go back to makeing good films please. does anyone remember good films
Big-budget theatrical productions are terrified of taking risks because the rise of streaming has taken away the second wave of sales that the DVD used to reliably provide. Nowadays, if you bomb at the box office, there's no second chance, so nobody's willing to gamble on something genuinely interesting that might flop. It's all established franchises with tried and true plots to maximize appeal and minimize effort demanded of the viewer. All the good stuff goes directly to streaming now. I only ever go to the theater when I'm looking to eat some overpriced popcorn and watch something fun that doesn't require much of me.

No good or interesting movies in theaters anymore? We're only a year out from Barbenheimer Spiderverse summer! Do you want to go back to the wizened bygone days of 2023? Barbie, talk about a movie that was interesting and good and could have flopped! if we're talking about risks, lets talk about Horizon just two months ago. Even if you don't think it was good – I did think it was good – it was certainly unusual and a risk! I just saw Inside Out 2 a month ago, and it was fantastic! I get it's less interesting as a sequel, but it wasn't just a schlock sequel flung out there for easy retention money, it was actually great! Even if video game movies are safe - a POV i think is reasonable but overblown - we're on the tiptoes of a wonderful new world where they're not all horseshit and a laughingstock! Box office cinema has been pretty hackneyed overall for a long time, if not forever, giving a mix of low effort popcorn fun and more substantive stuff for a patient and discerning eye. That's just as true now as ever.

No good or interesting movies in theaters anymore? We're only a year out from Barbenheimer Spiderverse summer! Do you want to go back to the wizened bygone days of 2023? Barbie, talk about a movie that was interesting and good and could have flopped! if we're talking about risks, lets talk about Horizon just two months ago. Even if you don't think it was good – I did think it was good – it was certainly unusual and a risk! I just saw Inside Out 2 a month ago, and it was fantastic! I get it's less interesting as a sequel, but it wasn't just a schlock sequel flung out there for easy retention money, it was actually great! Even if video game movies are safe - a POV i think is reasonable but overblown - we're on the tiptoes of a wonderful new world where they're not all horseshit and a laughingstock! Box office cinema has been pretty hackneyed overall for a long time, if not forever, giving a mix of low effort popcorn fun and more substantive stuff for a patient and discerning eye. That's just as true now as ever.
I understand this perspective, but this also proves my point to an extent. Of the films you've mentioned, three are based on preexisting properties (Barbie, Spider-Man, Inside Out), one is a biopic, and one didn't make its budget back at the box office. This is not to say that being based on something preexisting inherently makes a film inferior (I liked Inside Out 2, though I thought Barbie was overrated), but it demonstrates my point re: risk-taking at the theater. It's possible to make great stuff within the confines of an established property, but it is confining. It's never surprising when one of these films plays it safe because their point of origin inclines them to do so.

1725566457814.png

Should I be scared?

I don't have an account, but I appreciate that it lets me scroll through someone's feed of posts without making one. After years of Elon, it feels like a luxury.
one of my favorite features is labels

basically people can make their own lists of people to block and then like you can report posts like regular report features to them

i also like feeds in general and i like that you have so many ways to just. chill

I try out online dating again after not having used it for 5 years

Man it got even worse somehow. These apps are haggling you so fucking hard just to pay up, it's annoying. Also notable how much information they push you to fill in

But let's see where it goes. I tried it out as an insecure teenager and quit after a month. I'll try to get atleast one date from it now

I try out online dating again after not having used it for 5 years

Man it got even worse somehow. These apps are haggling you so fucking hard just to pay up, it's annoying. Also notable how much information they push you to fill in

But let's see where it goes. I tried it out as an insecure teenager and quit after a month. I'll try to get atleast one date from it now
i have a better suggestion for you

hmm I may try that out if bumble and hinge become too annoying

btw I kinda like obscure and smaller forums and I was on some tiny ass anime forum and somehow, two of the users got together and married and had babies and all that
that's pretty cool. we've actually had similar love stories on smogon over the years. for example, you may have heard of the users "cookie" and "shade",

Back