Gen 7 Cookie☆ - Ice-Spam Offense

DIYUSI

Blue is darkness made visible
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Cookie☆

:SM/Kyurem-black: :SM/Landorus-therian: :SM/Volcanion: :SM/ferrothorn: :SM/weavile: :SM/Diancie-mega:

Weavile's "Beat Up!" turns me on.
I'm an 2* y/o male pokemon trainer. Whenever I hear Weavile, I get a rush of Vaporeon's bath water in my body and I get energize by the Great Weavile's iconic sweet deep Beat Up. It's enough to get my stomach filled with Butterfrees and my brain's engine ramaging up to witness Weavile and then continue with my Ladder session.
I gotta say nothing turns me more then these 2 words from the Great Weavile and they are enough to quench my thirst and return to solve SM metagame. I'm pretty proud of myself of being a student of Weavile and having my ears to hear their iconic words. I'll always be Weavile-an till my last breath. Thank you.

Teambuilding Process

This part will mostly be facetious since, in reality, I built this six by randomly shuffling different team ideas and concepts. If you want a quick summary of the actual evolution in the teambuilding process, it would look like this:

1.png

Into

2.png

Into

3.png

Into

4.png

I will still take time to detail this part since it will be useful to showcase the different dynamic that makes this team effective in modern SM OU metagame.

:Kyurem-Black: + :Weavile:

Coming off of the tier's other structures such as Fairy-Spam and Psychic-Spam, it has been proven time and time again that putting two offensive behemoths of the same offensive-type is a valid and effective way to construct an offensive core. Here, we follow the same logic used in other -spam cores. The combination of Kyurem-Black and Weavile will offensively complement each other and wear down their common checks (bar a few very sturdy Ice-resists such as Scizor-Mega or Aggron-Mega)

:Kyurem-Black: + :Weavile: + :Volcanion:

Since ORAS was current gen (if memory serves me right), Weavile and Volcanion makes for another match made in heaven. Abusing a large sum of Weavile’s common checks (Tapu Fini, Scizor-Mega, ...), Volcanion forces very linear lines of play that are often possible to punish with Pursuit from Weavile (the opponent has to switch in Latias-Mega, Chansey, …) and, with its typing, Volcanion provides a valuable Fire-resist into the likes of Volcarona or Heatran.

:Kyurem-Black: + :Weavile: + :Volcanion: + :Diancie-Mega:

Another beneficial teammate, not only for its ability Magic Bounce that forces an opportunity cost from the opponent attempting to set up hazards, Diancie-Mega will also effectively participate in the offensive dynamic that ensures a constant offensive assault on Steel-types, Water-types and special walls.

:Kyurem-Black: + :Weavile: + :Volcanion: + :Diancie-Mega: + :Ferrothorn: + :Landorus-Therian:

Finally, Landorus-Therian and Ferrothorn will form and close the much needed defensive backbone of the team while providing utility in setting hazards and/or removing them.

SETS AND DETAILS

:SM/Kyurem-black:
JOKER姉貴 (Kyurem-Black) @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 224 HP / 16 Atk / 36 Def / 84 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

The bulwark of modern offense in SM OU, Kyurem-Black looms over the tier as an extremely threatening pokemon due to its high attack stat, Z-move with a BP of 200 and pseudo boltbeam coverage in Fusion Bolt and Ice beam. On the team it acts as a part of the general defensive core since its ridiculous bulk of 125 / 100 / 90 (with investment) allows Kyurem-Black to soft-check a large portion of the metagame.

There will rarely be a game where Kyurem-Black is unable to deal any kind of damage. It's worth to mention that, as previously stated, the bulk of Kyurem-Black is an important side of the defensive stability of the team and, therefore, managing its HP is as important as deciding when you should fire off its absurdly powerful Z-Move.

Substitute + Icinium-Z + Ice Beam + Bolt Strike seems like a weird option on the team and one would usually see options such as Hone Claws to bully Fat and Stall, Roost to improve its longevity or Earth Power to hit Rotom or Heatran but, on this team, it provides Kyurem-Black an insane backdoor to punish pokemon relying on status and further helps Kyurem-Black to find opportunities to fire off its strong attacks. Substitute will also deny recovery from Pain-Split users such as Rotom-Wash or Magearna.

-224 HP + 36 Def: 252 Atk Garchomp Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 224 HP / 36 Def Kyurem-Black: 378-446 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 224 HP / 36 Def Kyurem-Black: 193-228 (43.1 - 51%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

-224 HP + 84 SpD: 252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 224 HP / 84 SpD Kyurem-Black: 166-196 (37.1 - 43.8%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 224 HP / 84 SpD Kyurem-Black: 326-384 (72.9 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-148 Spe: Outspeed Jolly Swampert-Mega without Rain

:SM/Weavile:
UDK姉貴 (Weavile) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Beat Up
- Ice Shard

The main star of this team, Weavile with Choice Band acts as a stellar game changer that is both the main breaker and as the main speed control with its naturally good speed and priority move in Ice Shard.

The real magic of the set comes from the move Beat Up. Since our team is made of pokemon with high attack stat (the lowest attack is from Ferrothorn with 94 Atk), Beat Up will give Weavile a Dark-type move with a BP of 104 (with base Diancie) or 110 (with Diancie-Mega) which is enough to 2HKO its standard checks such as Scizor-Mega or Toxapex.

The lack of Knock Off probably looks like a mistake, but one will understand the reason a bit later. Given the breakneck pace of the team it is often better to spend turns firing off strong Beat Ups than the utility in removing items with Knock Off.

:SM/Volcanion:
FM姉貴 (Volcanion) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 96 Def / 12 SpA / 132 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Explosion

With Assault Vest and its overall good bulk, Volcanion serves as an all-around anchor that stabilizes both the defensive and offensive core against natural offense killers such as Volcarona, Medicham- Mega, Heatran or Greninja-Ash.

Moreover, its ability Water Absorb in conjuction with Magic Bounce from Diancie-Mega helps to deny any spread of status from moves such as Scald or Toxic. Sludge Bomb comes as a more niche but functional lure to wear down fairies such as Tapu Fini or Clefable.

Finally, Explosion helps to greatly chip a wide range of target (such as Latias-Mega, Chansey or Toxapex) which can also open up for a possible Pursuit trap.

-248 HP + 96 Def: 252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Volcanion: 253-298 (69.6 - 82%)
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Fake Out vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Volcanion: 52-62 (14.3 - 17%)
82 + 17 = 99 < 100

-248 HP (with Assault Vest) : 252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Volcanion: 135-159 (37.1 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Volcanion: 148-176 (40.7 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-12 SpA: 12 SpA Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Pinsir-Mega: 270-318 (99.6 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
-132 Spe: Outspeed Scizor-Mega

:SM/Diancie-Mega:
HNS姐贵 (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Diancie-Mega is an important part for ensuring the team even functions. The existence of an offensive threat that can completly swing the momentum if coming on a recklessly pressed hazard move is enough to dictate the pace of the game.

The All-out Attacker set suits the team best, since Diamond Storm allows Diancie-Mega to pressure the Toxapex and Celesteela core, Earth Power hits Heatran and Hidden Power [Fire] will catch opposing Ferrothorn and Scizor-Mega.

Diancie-Mega also brings two important resistances in a Flying-type resist (mainly for Tornadus-Therian) and Dark-type resist (for Greninja-Ash for example).

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Earth Power vs. 24 HP / 0 SpD Diancie-Mega: 212-250 (85.8 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

:SM/Ferrothorn:
DIYUSI (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 220 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

The Messiah of this team if I have to be honest. Ferrothorn with its great defensive bulk and typing will always provide immense value in offense vs offense matchups. An essential part of the gameplan is to know how to preserve the HP on Ferrothorn and, therefore, it requires a very meticulous approach when it comes to setting up hazards or trading damage.

Rocky Helmet is a very surprising choice here considering the importance Ferrothorn has in any game (and I fully understand ones prerogative to run Figy Berry) but, alongside Iron Barbs and the strong pick off with Banded Weaviles Ice Shard, it eases the endgame against numerous physical threats such as Medicham-Mega, Lopunny-Mega and Hawlucha.

On the moveset, Gyro Ball helps to pressure Tornadus-Therian, Serperior or opposing Kyurem-Black. Spikes could be removed for other options such as Knock Off, Leech Seed or even Explosion. I went with Spikes because it will induce either a loss of momentum if your opponent decide to remove them or increase the pressure your threats can deploy.

-40 Atk: 40 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 168-198 (47 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
40 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 240 HP / 64 Def Tornadus-Therian: 178-211 (49.5 - 58.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

:SM/Landorus-therian:
NEL姉貴 (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 32 HP / 100 Atk / 128 Def / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Defog

What would an offense in SM OU be without its favorite ground/flying type Landorus-Therian. Fast, powerful and bulky, Landorus-Therian with Choice Scarf will patch our final concerns about speed control, hazard management with Defog and momentum with U-turn. In a similar way to Ferrothorn, preserving Landorus-Therian as a whole is an important aspect of this team.

However, Explosion is still an important tool to open a winning path for either Diancie-Mega or Weavile due to its ability to pick off weakened targets for a favorable trade. Finally, it can deny a turn of set-up for Hawlucha that then ensures Weavile can pick it off with its Ice Shard. Having two ways of Exploding in Landorus-Therian and Volcanion is also useful as a momentum swing for Diancie-Mega, Weavile and Kyurem-Black to give them more opportunities to score KO’s.

-32 HP + 128 Def: 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 32 HP / 128 Def Landorus-Therian: 243-286 (74.3 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

-248 Spe: Outspeed Porygon-Z at +1 in speed

Threats-List

:Magearna:Since our backbone is composed of Landorus-Therian, Ferrothorn and Volcanion, Magearna can outright steamroll this squad with a few good turns. The best way to deal with it is to pray this fucker does not run that one set that WILL send your ass to oblivion to carefully position and never give it a single turn of set-up.

:Aggron-Mega: :Scizor-Mega: Balance/fat MU should not be an issue generally speaking, but variants featuring Scizor-Mega can be extremely tricky. Your best weapon into them is to never lose the control of the game, always be wary of the hazards management (Spikes is a godsend in this situation) and, as a last resort, snipe it with Diancie-Megas HP Fire. Aggron-Mega basically features the same challenge but even worse since it has the ability to put down rocks.

:Mawile-Mega:This one rarely ends the game by itself but the real trial for this squad is to reduce as much of the progress as possible that a Mawile-Mega will force on your team, which could enable a deadly sweep from the likes of Kartana or Magearna. Fortunately, the majority of the team can trade enough blows with Mawile-Mega to put it at the range where Landorus, Volcanion or Kyurem-Black can KO it in return.

:Clefable: I put it in this category mostly for the bulky Calm Mind Life Orb variant. Same as Magearna, a few turns of set-up is enough for Clefable to snowball the battle and end the match by itself. The only gameplan against this set is to bruteforce it and win before it will eat you.

:Medicham-Mega: Pretty much Mawile-Mega but with speed to bully you even more. However, with its overall low defensive value, you will have several opportunities to obtain favorable trade damage (especially with common behavior such as frantic Fake Out spam) and put it at the range where something like U-turn from Landorus-Therian or a Pursuit from Weavile can KO it.

:Hawlucha: :Lopunny-Mega: A step above in terms of danger. Both of them represent the absolute final threat in their respective MU. For Hawlucha's case, nothing in the team allows a single turn of set-up; At its worst every member on the team can deal an adequate amount of damage to put it at the range of Ice Shard from Weavile or a scarf Explosion after breaking substitute from Landorus-Therian. For Lopunny-Mega, the gameplan is pretty much the same as Medicham-Mega: it will however be way harder due to its better defensive profile and its better speed tier.

Entry Hazards is a threat that will shape the whole dynamic of the team seeing as everything barring Landorus is hit hard by them. Spending a single turn removing them with Landorus-Therian is almost always a net-negative in tempo. The way to manage them is to know how to properly position your threats, be smart with Diancie-Mega’s ability and ensure that you don’t ever let them be set by forcing out the hazard setters before they have a chance to come into effect.

CONCLUSION

I hope the reader will like using the team. It's not the easiest to pilot and I can see people bemoaning how one need to outplay every turn to win matches consistently with the team. I still wanted to share this team because it is, in my opinion, an original approach to Beat Up Weavile as a concept. With enough experience and time you’ll come to find that the team is surprisingly consistent once you recognize the flaws and strengths within the team.

S/O Proftreez for helping me build, test and write this RMT and a robust and esteemed thanks goes to cyberacc for proofreading.

WIP

Last edited:

1LDK

Trial by fury
is a Top Team Rater
Weavile's "Beat Up!" turns me on.
I'm an 2* y/o male pokemon trainer. Whenever I hear Weavile, I get a rush of Vaporeon's bath water in my body and I get energize by the Great Weavile's iconic sweet deep Beat Up. It's enough to get my stomach filled with Butterfrees and my brain's engine ramaging up to witness Weavile and then continue with my Ladder session.
I gotta say nothing turns me more then these 2 words from the Great Weavile and they are enough to quench my thirst and return to solve SM metagame. I'm pretty proud of myself of being a student of Weavile and having my ears to hear their iconic words. I'll always be Weavile-an till my last breath. Thank you.
1626222388093.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)