Other 6th Gen Pokemon OU Candidate Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aegislash looks like a pretty solidly OU Pokemon to me like quite a few other people have mentioned. Ghost/Steel is a great typing even with the two extra weaknesses to Dark and Ghost added this generation due to the Steel-type nerf. Because of this typing and Aegislash's initial amazing bulk, it can check many current OU threats such as Latios, Latias, Terrakion, Tornadus-I, Conkeldurr, Scizor, and Breloom. Swords Dance, Automotize, and Choice Band all seem like viable options on the sword, and have different checks/counters or play in different ways, possibly with some sets beating the checks of others (don't hurt me imanalt).

I could see Barbaracle being really solid in X/Y OU too, while its design is admittedly pretty silly, its stats are pretty good all around, and it has a good Attack stat to work with along with some decent bulk. Tough Claws gives Barbaracle's Razor Shell and Cross Chop a decent boost (around the amount Life Orb boosts iirc) which is pretty nice too. The real clincher that makes me think Barbaracle has the potential to be terrifying though is Shell Smash. Barbaracle has decent enough physical bulk to set one up imo and after it reaches +2 Attack +2 Speed of course it can clean up entire teams, especially with Tough Claws boosting the BP of some of its moves. Even at +2 though Barbaracle needs to watch out for fast Choice Scarfed Pokemon and certain priority users though, so i don't expect it to be an absolute top threat, but i think it'll definitely be a viable choice in x/y.

Also Talonflame seems a bit overhyped to me >_>, i have to admit though gale wings is a great ability

Last edited:
I don't know that Talonflame is going to be OU for sure, but it definitely has a lot of potential to make it up there. I've discussed the benefits of Talonflame in other threads already, but again, priority Acrobatics and Roost, Swords Dance or Bulk Up (in conjunction with Flame Body, no less), and a fantastic dual STAB without much worry of rain nerfing one of its STABs is pretty great. It also has great Speed, which makes it even harder to take on with opposing priority and faster Pokemon that resist Flying. Stealth Rock isn't as big of a deal with Excadrill freed from Ubers and Defog to get rid of it. It's not like Talonflame is super easy to use, but it's definitely a threatening Pokemon.

Also whats the big deal with Talonflame .-.
I don't know if you've played on PO/PS already but from playing ~50 battles on the PO ladder I have to say that Talonflame is one of the most threatening Pokemon I've faced, and that's including ridiculous stuff like Mega Blaziken and Genesect. With Swords Dance and priority Brave Bird it's really hard for offensive teams to stop it as Flying resists are actually quite rare in OU, let alone Flying resists that also resist Fire or are faster than Talonflame. It's not exactly hard to spin Rocks away with Excadrill being OU. I see it as a top tier OU threat.

besides, I think Zygarde is going to be OU. From using it on the same ladder, the DD + ESpeed @ Yache set is very very good and standard teams have a hard time handling it.

I don't know if you've played on PO/PS already but from playing ~50 battles on the PO ladder I have to say that Talonflame is one of the most threatening Pokemon I've faced, and that's including ridiculous stuff like Mega Blaziken and Genesect. With Swords Dance and priority Brave Bird it's really hard for offensive teams to stop it as Flying resists are actually quite rare in OU, let alone Flying resists that also resist Fire or are faster than Talonflame. It's not exactly hard to spin Rocks away with Excadrill being OU. I see it as a top tier OU threat.

besides, I think Zygarde is going to be OU. From using it on the same ladder, the DD + ESpeed @ Yache set is very very good and standard teams have a hard time handling it.

Oh wow i actually didn't know it got Swords Dance :x. That and the fact that Stealth Rock seems a bit easier to remove now with Defog and Excadrill makes the thought of OU Talonflame a bit easier to understand, thanks for clearing that up.

I think one of the main reasons why talonflame is such a problem for me at the moment is that heatran, who would otherwise be a great check, is kind of a liability what with excadrill running around. Come to think of it, I haven't been able to use heatran effectively since garchomp was unbanned. Anyone else in the same boat?
As for other pokes I think Aegislash for sure.
Gourgeist might have a niche as a good defensive grass type, we really don't have many, plus its a great spinblocker if excadrill stays around, although with the Defog boost I'm not sure how relevant that will be.

Aegislash has perfect typing, but shitty movepool and ability. It's pretty much the new cloyster with automatize and sword dance. Other than double dance, I don't see much.
Last time I checked, Sacred Sword + Shadow Sneak/Shadow Claw literally had perfect coverage.

Yay! More people have been noticing how strong SD Acrobatics/Brave Bird is (I prefer the former)!

Anyways, with the popularity of Talonflame, I think things like Heatran and Rotom-W are going to get even more popular since they resist both of Talons STABs and have the needed bulk to take a hit and retaliate back/phase it out. The only problem is see with Talonflame is it not being able to fit a coverage move. SD, Acro/BB and Flare Blitz are necessary, but Roost/Tailwind are really appreciated as well.

I think a lot of people are severely underestimating Greninja

The thing can OHKO Dragonite THROUGH Multiscale.

And it has a unique speed tier that lets it out speed key threats.

The 50% from Protean basically makes up for any sort of lacking offensive stats, and TBH Greninja shouldn't be trying to tank hits with his defenses.

Just U-Turn out to a counter if something comes in to threaten

The 50% from Protean basically makes up for any sort of lacking offensive stats, and TBH Greninja shouldn't be trying to tank hits with his defenses.

This x 100

Such a great mon.

252+ SpA LO Greninja Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 282-331 (87.0%-102.4%)

Clean kill after Rocks, however much that still means.

I think you forgot STAB
I forgot something. Maybe it was LO? I re-ran the calculations and they look really similar when I leave off LO, but they're a tiny bit less, so I'm not sure.

But yes, looking at it again, it seems Greninja does in fact kill Dragonite 100% of the time under those conditions. Can even OHKO 252 HP / 60 SpD Dragonite a good chunk of the time, but it only does 80% max to 252 HP / 252+ SpD. With Multiscale up, anyway; if it's down, Dragonite's fucked no matter what.

Honestly the only reason I find this notable is because we're in a very young metagame and nobody expects Greninja's STAB Ice Beam + Protean to be able to do that. It catches you off guard because a lot of people simply don't have the knowledge about it. Really, the only time I've ever felt threatened by Greninja is because he caught my Dragonite off-guard because I didn't know he could do that. Beyond that I've literally had no trouble walling / switching into / setting up on him.

Honestly the only reason I find this notable is because we're in a very young metagame and nobody expects Greninja's STAB Ice Beam + Protean to be able to do that. It catches you off guard because a lot of people simply don't have the knowledge about it. Really, the only time I've ever felt threatened by Greninja is because he caught my Dragonite off-guard because I didn't know he could do that. Beyond that I've literally had no trouble walling / switching into / setting up on him.
That argument can be applied to ANY new Pokémon.

If you have knowledge of Aegislash's sets then you can set up/ wall it. Same goes for many of the other Gen 6 pokemon.

Doesn't stop them being potential OU Candidates.

Is there a thread like this for lower tiers?

I was going to mention Sylveon, but then I realized its Speed and Defense are lower than I initially thought. I still think it could work in lower tiers, though.

I just read that Draining Kiss heals 75% of damage dealt. I'm now back on Sylveon for OU. With STAB Draining Kiss coming off 110 base SpAtk, Wish (if possible to have this generation), and Fairy typing I'm pretty sure Sylveon has a chance for OU. If not high UU.

I just read that Draining Kiss heals 75% of damage dealt. I'm now back on Sylveon for OU. With STAB Draining Kiss coming off 110 base SpAtk, Wish (if possible to have this generation), and Fairy typing I'm pretty sure Sylveon has a chance for OU. If not high UU.
You forgot that Draining Kiss is a laughable 50 base power move.

You forgot that Draining Kiss is a laughable 50 base power move.
STAB + Base 110 SpAtk means that's not entirely relevant. You'll hit hard enough for the life gain to matter.

Think of it more like a Recover that deals a little bit of damage.

STAB + Base 110 SpAtk means that's not entirely relevant. You'll hit hard enough for the life gain to matter.

Think of it more like a Recover that deals a little bit of damage.
It heals exactly as much as STAB Giga Drain coming off the same SpA and does just two-thirds the damage.

You know how popular Giga Drain is? Not a whole lot.

Think Clawitzer has a shot for being OU. Its ability makes it a Special attacking powerhouse with a ton of diversity. Slap a focus sash or assault vest on it if your afraid it will be OHKO with its lack of speed.

Aura Sphere
Dark Pulse
Water Pulse
Shell Smash? (if that can't be learned, then Dragon Pulse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back