Pokemon Black and White (SPECULATIONS ALLOWED HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

^ is this the new grass starter final evo?.

Whats the chance of Farfetch'd evolving?
That new eagle poke is farfetch'd after he goes to war...lol "america" in my weird japanese game? Priceless.

^ is this the new grass starter final evo?.
Nah some guy did this in dev art. I hope not. 4x Ice weakness pokemon...we need no more! (yoda?)

Just found this "little" image, by little I mean 2mb and 1307 x 1599. It's a high quality image of Victini.

Victini Large
Is he number 0 because they don't want to give out how many "new" pokemon we will have or is it because Gamefreak will start to go into negative numbers after this gen?

Is he number 0 because they don't want to give out how many "new" pokemon we will have or is it because Gamefreak will start to go into negative numbers after this gen?

There's probably no big reason, my guess is that they just wanted Victini to be at the start of the Isshu dex instead of at the very end (ala Mew in the Kanto dex or Celebi in the Johto dex). Especially since the event for it is going to start on the release day for B/W, chances are they don't want the Player's dex to stretch out from a low number (# of last Pokemon saw) all the way to the very end upon meeting Victini.

Why are they giving out the Liberty Ticket on the day the game will be released anyway? I don't see why they would do that, but meh.

It might be an incentive, people that were wanting to wait to buy the game might feel pressured to buy it sooner since they will be giving an event only pokemon for a limited amount of time.
Was Manaphy given out as soon as D/P were released? I can't remember

It might be an incentive, people that were wanting to wait to buy the game might feel pressured to buy it sooner since they will be giving an event only pokemon for a limited amount of time.
Was Manaphy given out as soon as D/P were released? I can't remember

In Japan, you had to watch the 9th Movie (Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea), during which you could download the Manaphy Egg Mission to Ranger. So it technically was 'given out' a few months before DP.

In America, we just had to put in a code that was shown on a website.

In either case, after you get the mission and complete it, you can transfer the Manaphy Egg over to Diamond/Pearl at any time.

We are not 5 years back, memory is hardly is an issue anymore,

512 megabits = 128 megabytes - Pokemon 4th gen games use.

There have been many games using 256 megabytes and even 512megabytes lately. That is four times the account of a 4th gen game.
Technically you can have a 1Gigabyte game on a DS.

They can easily use the 512MB card over the standard 128MB they use if they wanted to created some really good 3D graphics and are need of holding large ammount of data, that is like four times more. It's possible.

After looking at the specs again, we are all wrong. The Nintendo DS specs support game cards up to 4 Gigabits. The Pokemon games use a 512 MiB (Mebibyte) game card, which converts to 4.295 Gigabits (the upper limit of the DS's capabilities).

When you are running at the maximum of what your storage media will allow, memory becomes a very BIG issue, and switching to full 3D (even at really low polygon counts) would be all but impossible, though I would assume they could do it if they cut features and story to the bare minimum. 3D models and animations take up a large amount of space when compared to the simple 2D models that Pokemon uses, not to mention the changes in the Game Engine required.

I do think a 3D game on the 3DS could be likely, though, with the increase to 2 GB (or 16 Gb :naughty:) game cards (according to the 3DS specs in the most recent GameInformer).

After looking at the specs again, we are all wrong. The Nintendo DS specs support game cards up to 4 Gigabits. The Pokemon games use a 512 MiB (Mebibyte) game card, which converts to 4.295 Gigabits (the upper limit of the DS's capabilities).
Where are you getting this from exactly? I'd really like to see your source. According to Wiki, it uses a standard 512 Megabit (or in other words, 64 Megabytes) card:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Diamond_and_Pearl

And doing a quick check of multiple ROM sites, the .zip files of ROMs for Pokemon diamond tend to be around 17-21 MB (most being 17), which fits with Pokemon Diamond being on a 64 MB card.

I'm not sure where you're getting this information from exactly, but wherever it's from, that source is wrong. I didn't even know what a Mebibyte was until I looked it up at Wikipedia. Apparently though, it's just another name for a Megabyte, from what I'm understanding. The source most likely just mixed up Megabyte and Megabit, a common mistake and that's the problem here. Since Wiki's saying the Pokemon Diamond uses a 512 Megabit card, I'd say that's the most likely scenario, especially given the size of the ROM of Pokemon Diamond.

Nah. Sprites are really fitting for the Pokemon series and I'd really like for them to stay with them as long as possible.

How are they fitting though? Pokemon are live creatures, not static pictures.

Sure, we've had sprites since the beginning. If GameFreak wants to go through all the extra work to change that though, I'm definately not going to complain. It's been something I've been waiting for ever since Pokemon had animations upon being sent out/having their status checked.

Where in the world are you getting this from (I'd never even heard of a Mebibyte until now and had to wiki it--who uses that term)? I'd really like to see your source. According to Wiki, it uses a standard 512 Megabit (or in other words, 64 Megabytes) card:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Diamond_and_Pearl

And doing a quick check of multiple ROM sites, the .zip files of ROMs for Pokemon diamond tend to be around 17-21 MB (most being 17), which fits with Pokemon Diamond being on a 64 MB card.

I'm not sure where you're getting this information from exactly, but wherever it's from, that source is wrong.

I didn't really check Diamond and Pearl. HeartGold and SoulSilver are listed as being on a 512 megabyte card. The MiB is the new standard to replace megabyte as it is used in some contexts, and I think the two are probably interchangeable in this particular instance. The DS specs page lists 512 MiB as the known upper size limit, so that's where I got that bit (no pun intended :nerd:). I think I got MB vs MiB mixed up in my head when I was running from Wiki to Wiki running calculations to figure out whether 512 MB (or MiB) was equal to 4 Gb... and completely missed the sentence that said "though the upper limit is not known".

I still maintain that full 3D models and animations would be an EXTREMELY large memory hog. I'm pretty sure (though I have no real source to back this up) that between 600+ Pokemon, with different animations for all attacks, Pokemon musical movements, etc... not to mention the maps, locales, and NPCs, a full-3D modeled Pokemon game would take well over 1 GB of storage.

EDIT: I didn't notice when I switched from the DP size to the HGSS size... >_< *facepalm*

Hey, I'm a little late on this one, but anyone else think that Bambi is a prevo to Stantler?
Like really, it's been totally neglected. What if it got a total overhaul like Roselia got in gen 4?
Bambi ---> Stantler ---> Reindeer

When you are running at the maximum of what your storage media will allow, memory becomes a very BIG issue, and switching to full 3D (even at really low polygon counts) would be all but impossible, though I would assume they could do it if they cut features and story to the bare minimum. 3D models and animations take up a large amount of space when compared to the simple 2D models that Pokemon uses, not to mention the changes in the Game Engine required.

I do think a 3D game on the 3DS could be likely, though, with the increase to 2 GB (or 16 Gb :naughty:) game cards (according to the 3DS specs in the most recent GameInformer).

Pokemon games are not on a 512MB card, it is 512Mb card(megabits), not bytes. I can assure you. Currently every single one has used a 128MB card. Your source is wrong, there is already a 1GB game out (8 gigabits).

Where are you getting this from exactly? I'd really like to see your source. According to Wiki, it uses a standard 512 Megabit (or in other words, 64 Megabytes) card:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Diamond_and_Pearl

I'm not sure where you're getting this information from exactly, but wherever it's from, that source is wrong. I didn't even know what a Mebibyte was until I looked it up at Wikipedia. Apparently though, it's just another name for a Megabyte, from what I'm understanding. The source most likely just mixed up Megabyte and Megabit, a common mistake and that's the problem here. Since Wiki's saying the Pokemon Diamond uses a 512 Megabit card, I'd say that's the most likely scenario, especially given the size of the ROM of Pokemon Diamond.

I download my games, both platinum and heartgold are 128 MB, around 122MB when trimmed. Those 17MB files are just compressed, watch those expand when you extract. XD

Hey, I'm a little late on this one, but anyone else think that Bambi is a prevo to Stantler?
Like really, it's been totally neglected. What if it got a total overhaul like Roselia got in gen 4?
Bambi ---> Stantler ---> Reindeer

If they manage to come up with a decent evo for Stantler, this would be awesome!

How are they fitting though? Pokemon are live creatures, not static pictures.

Sure, we've had sprites since the beginning. If GameFreak wants to go through all the extra work to change that though, I'm definately not going to complain. It's been something I've been waiting for ever since Pokemon had animations upon being sent out/having their status checked.
The sprites are part of the charm of the series, is what he's saying.

Like the 3D models are okay, but that lack that certain something sprites have.
I also really love good sprite work and the handhelds really lend themselves well to having it.

will spriting be dead after this gen? or will other fellow artists decide to sprite pokemon that dont have sprites?

Assuming they went 3D, people would still be making sprites probably. There are custom DPP sprites that have been made for RSE ROM hacks, so it would only make sense.

If they manage to come up with a decent evo for Stantler, this would be awesome!

That's what I was thinking. It seems perfectly reasonable too. The whole season changing aspect just makes me more hopeful (more likely to come out during autumn or whatever).
I feel like a Stantler evo would need another type besides normal (or completely change it's type) to really be competitively used... Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back