CAP 3 CAP 3 Sprite Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah KoA, congratulations on your new badge. I'm shocked and awed at the fact you can become moderator just by being an artist.
Badges and mods are not the same thing. Koa's art badge does not give him mod privileges. It makes him a badgeholder, not unlike Contributors or Team Raters, etc. Moderators have a "+" by their name.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Yea, I'm no mod, just a badgeholder. I'm still the same 'ol KoA.

Anywho, I willl post tonight's progress. I got the basic outline of this sprite done as well as filled in some dummy colors. I can express quite a bit of freedom with this sprite's palette seeing how he uses so few base colors overall (4). Kinda funny how on such a complex design, the colors are quite small. ;o

This is far from what the finished version will look like, as outlines will be edited as well as final colors and the like. This is just the basic body shape.

Looks better then the sketches. Because i'm your number 1 critic, i'm pointing out that the tail seems to be too thick at the base, and the extended arm takes up wayyyy to much of the sprite's proportion. It would look much nicer if you were to shove the arm back by a few pixels, and extend the tail by that, thus not giving the impression of a bulge in the tair. Nice work though.

Kickass, but yeah it would look better if the you changed the angle of the head, it looks kind of weird that it's pointing at something and looking the complete opposite way. Maybe point it a bit more to the right.

But yeah, that's my favorite so far.

Most of the sprites look really good. However, I'd like to suggest something to the artists: Don't you think that making the flames in the cannons more prominent would be better? The sprites looks to Grass, and too little Fire right now. I know the original design is more or less like that, but id the cannons were made more prominent, by having some flames coming from them, the typing could be more accurately represented.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Great sprites everybody. This will surely be a tough choice once we get to choose!

And congrats KoA for the art badge! :)

Congrats KoA, I'm not saying most of the sprites we've had so far are great, but hell, they're bette than anything I could do! My favorite has to be
though. It's definitely the best so far and looks at least half decent next to other, real pokemon sprites.

I'm sure KoA's finished sprite will be the one to rule them all.

Excellent sprite Nopie! I'm voting for yours if KoA dies in a car accident or something.

Much better, I think. The wood needed to be less brown.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I like that you're actually using the backburners, but the flames look a little awkward. Also, just in general your sprite is very dark which makes it difficult to make out the small details.

This one has to be my favorite thus far. Many of the ones, I'm not sure why, just don't look 'right.' This one is great, and I like it better than the other two because the tail doesn't look too long or take up the majority of the width.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok, I finished(may edit some detalis, but for the most part done) my sprite. I'll work on female/back/shiny sprites later. Here it is:

Oh, nopie, I kind of borrowed your fire coloration. ^_^;; Sorry if that isn't ok, I can change the color if you want. Any suggestions are appreciated. Oh, and congrats KoA!

EDIT: I just noticed that the head looks kind of off, will fix later.
Flygon, that's a great sprite. You packed an amazing amount of detail into it. I disagree with others about the head -- I think it looks great. Your sprite really conveys the bulk of this guy. Good job!

Yea, I'm no mod, just a badgeholder. I'm still the same 'ol KoA.

Anywho, I willl post tonight's progress. I got the basic outline of this sprite done as well as filled in some dummy colors. I can express quite a bit of freedom with this sprite's palette seeing how he uses so few base colors overall (4). Kinda funny how on such a complex design, the colors are quite small. ;o

This is far from what the finished version will look like, as outlines will be edited as well as final colors and the like. This is just the basic body shape.
This pose looks the best so far. I like everything about it. I hope you don't change a thing. I am anxiously anticipating the finishing details!

I'm glad everyone liked the sprite. I changed the head pose and this is what it became:

I'm indifferent between the two. Again, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, nopie, I kind of borrowed your fire coloration. ^_^;;
Hey, no worries. It's not like I invented those colors or anything. :p

Anyways, I'm finished with the female sprite. Here it is, next to the male sprite for comparison:

Female:

Male:

The major differences on the female are the longer "hair", longer skirt, double-leaved tail, and absence of tusks. What does everyone think?

I'll probably start working on the back sprites pretty soon... well, maybe not. Mariokart Wii is out today. :p

Sure, go ahead Sanjay. That would really speed up the whole process, and might give me time to do a second frame and thus a moving sprite (a la Syclant).

DougJustDoug

I'm glad everyone liked the sprite. I changed the head pose and this is what it became:

I'm indifferent between the two. Again, comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Ok, I take back my earlier comment -- that head is better. Wow. Your sprite is so good. I really like it.

My only suggestion is to angle the opening on the right hand. The bottom of the "barrel opening" needs to be moved "back towards the body" -- that means tilt the entire oval a few pixels counter-clockwise. I realize this can be tough because it's currently a symmetrical circle, and asymmetrical circles can look weird when pixellated. But, it might be something to try to get the perspective correct on the right-arm blaster.

First try. Reminds me of a tiki or something.

This one was just for fun, but it turned out good. The embers on the skirt kind of throw it off, either they have to go or there needs to be more fire somewhere.

Sketched up a quick potential pose for Woodman's sprite.

I don't think I'll end up going into pixels with it, but thought it'd be fun to post it up anyhow.

Really? That is great to hear. I loved the original pose, and I am not good a sketching, so I kept it as it originally was. I very rarely sprite from scratch, but I loved this design so much. It took a lot of time, but it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)