Who can stop the Whirlwind?

Hello everyone, this is my first RMT, but I have lurked around here for a while, watching here and there. Now I have decided to step up and make this RMT after much thought and testing. Without further ado, I proudly present to you:

Who can stop the Whirlwind?

This team main style is to set up entry hazard in Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock (I find setting up Spikes is too much work), then use Crobat's phazing to wear down the opponent's team. After that, find an opportunity to sneak in Empoleon to set up, and then sweep. Very easy to understand.

---------------------------------------------
At a glance:

Team buiding process:

At first, I saw relaunched's Whirlwind Crobat set on The Next Best Thing... and thought "Hell, this thing can cause some big headache.", but then I look again, it wasn't number one, and I thought "Wtf? How doesn't it win? I will make it win.", since relaunched only said it "looks good on paper", I put in into practice, give it some change to fit into the game more.

Then, I thought "What does this set do best?", of course it's phazing, and without entry hazard it can't really shine, so I add in Spikes, TSpikes, and SR support.

But then I realised Roserade can't use Spikes together with Sleep Powder, which is, imo, one of her best move, so I must find another poke with Spikes, and then I ran into Omastar, and that he helps a lot, with Spikes, TSpikes, and SR.

After that, I still think this team lacks the ultra bulk to stall and wait for the other team to die from entry hazard and Toxic, so I add in a fast sweeper in DD ChestoRest Kingdra. Finally, I give the team a reliable revenge killer and has good synergy with the team, which is Flygon, and then go for battle.

Yes, I know. It's a bad, bad idea. Use a phazing team without a spinblocker is just plain stupid. Omastar died too easily, before he has anytime to lay out the precious Spikes, so for a while the team just function around SR and TSpikes, which is easily spinned away. And together with that, Kingdra's just too susceptible with ailment, even with ChestoRest. So I quickly addressed the problem and fixed it (with Mismagius and Empoleon, each have good synergy with the team), so that gave me the team today:

In Depth View (Change will be in red)

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SDef / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
My first member of the team, the only pokemon have access to both Toxic Spikes and Sleep inducing move in UU, so her role in the team is pretty simple: set up TSpikes, take out one of the opponents with Sleep Powder, and live to do that again (except for when I have to sac her).
Move choice is obvious: Giga Drain provides a STAB damaging move to use when taunted which helps her live longer to continuously set up TSpikes if the opponent has grounded Poison-type; Leech Seed also heals her, but helps against Special walls which resist Giga Drain and also forces many switch; Sleep Powder, of course, is to get her a free turn to set up or switch, and also pairs well with Crobat's Whirlwind (due to the new sleep mechanic); Toxic Spikes, with 2 layers up, give me many advantages as the opponent's usually afraid to switch in their sweeper until they are removed, thus limited their options.
The EV spread is to outspeed and sleep max speed base 86 pokes, which include Rotom-H and Rotom-F, the rest goes into HP and SDef for bulk.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SDef / 120 Def
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Recover
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
Many thanks to Mylo Xyloto for this change.
The second member of my team, Spinblocker. The Fighting immunity also helps against those Reckless HJK Mienshao rampaging the tier lately.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Trait: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
Even though Crobat is the core member of the team and the team is made around him, but he's not irreplacable. I just use him because he does his jobs well: phazer, taunter, and sometimes, an emergency revenge killer. He has the bulk to take hits, then either roosts off the damage and wait for toxic poison to take its toll, or phazes them out to rack up SR damage and poison another foe.
Move choice is as relaunched explained here. I replaced Toxic with Brave Bird because I already have Toxic on Bronzong together with TSpikes and BB gives Crobat a powerful attack to take down the opponent when the chance comes, makes him a good emergency revenge killer when bringing Flygon out is too risky or Flygon's already fainted.
EV spread is to outspeed the Stallbreaker set on site and Taunt them into Brave Bird (if they have toxic) or just to prevent them from healing. And of course, he outspeeds what that set already does. Max HP for bulk, and the Def EVs allows Crobat to survive a Stone Edge from Scarf Heracross/Mienshao after SR, then take a OHKO with Brave Bird (of course, he dies after that, but believe me, it's worth it).

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
You can see that Flygon is my team's revenge killer, but he's more than that. Valuable immunity to Electric and good resistance to Fire makes him my only answer to any kind of Victini and Chandelure, and any Zapdos that lacks HP Ice (64% on the usage stat), who would destroy my team otherwise.
I dropped Outrage because getting stuck in without being able to switch out sucks, especially for hit-and-run revenge killer, while Dragon Claw is just too weak, and because he needs Superpower to get the important kills on Umbreon and Snorlax when the chance arises.
The EV spread is standard, max speed to speed tie with other scarfed base 100, max Atk to hit hard, and 4 EVs left behind is put into HP.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Scald
- Roar
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
Many thanks to Mylo Xyloto for this change.
The next member is my Stealth Rocker, second phazer and physical wall, Swampert. His bulk allows him to get in many times in the game to continuously toxic the pokes that's immune to TSpikes and set up SR, which is essential for my team, and also to roar the opponent away.

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 HP/ 0 Atk
- Agility
- Substitute
- Surf
- Grass Knot
Now, last but not least, SubPetaya Empoleon. This is simply a copy/paste set from smogon, nothing much. Regarding the choice of Surf over Hydro Pump is that Empoleon usually doesn't need that much power to break through worn out pokes, and Grass Knot over Ice Beam is because my team has more problem with bulky Water types than with Grass types.

Importable:
Roserade @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SDef / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes

Sableye @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SDef / 120 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd / 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Recover
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Trait: Infiltrator
EVs: 140 Spd / 252 HP / 116 Def
Jolly Nature
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk
- Agility
- Substitute
- Surf
- Grass Knot

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Threat list
I believe that this team isn't perfect, and I've encountered some problems with these pokemons, but luckily, all of them has some way or another to play around (except when all of them is together, which is very rare):

Xatu (5%): As my team is mostly based around residual damage, any magic bounce user is a pain. If I see him on the opponent's team, I'd have to kill him first before anything else.
Offensive Zapdos with HP Ice (34% usage of all Zapdos): This has been taken care of with the change Swmapert -> Bronzong.
Choice Scarf Victini (34%): Flygon can come in to take a V-Create and OHKO it with EQ, but if the opponent choose to switch it out, that'd hinder Flygon's ability to come in later a lot.
Choice Scarf Mienshao (52%): This has been taken care of.
There maybe other threats, but at the moment, those are the most annoying ones I can think of.
Edit: After the change, I'm still testing to see if there're any new threats after these has been taken care of.

Well, I guess that's all. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Currently testing:
Leech Seed > Rest/Sludge Bomb on Roserade

Last edited:
Hey, this is a really cool team. I especially like the use of Whirlwind Crobat!

Anyway onto the team Electric-types in general looks like a huge pain since they can come in on Roserade or Crobat and just wreck havoc. Another problem is Fire types. Since Empoleon is part Steel type, it lacks the crucial Fire resist that you team so desperately needs. Fighting types actually dont look all that problematic, since you have both Mismagius and Crobat and if Scarf Mienshoa decides to look itself into Stone Edge so be it, as I'll be suggesting a Swampert for your team.

To solve your Electric problem I suggest using Swampert > Bronzong. Swampert has an excellent Water/Ground dual typing which allows it to effortlessly switch into physical based Fire types since the only coverage moves the use to get past Water types is Electric moves (I.e. Bolt Strike, Wild Charge). You mention HP Ice Electric types in the threat section, well Swampert is your answer. As it takes minimal damage from HP Ice and resists or is immune to the rest of Zapdos' moveset. You still get Stealth Rock as well as Toxic. In addition Swampert gets Roar which is really cool since you rack even more hazard damage onto you opponent. HP Grass Electric types are actually handled by Flygon. The two of them are actually a great core that effectively handles Electric and Fire types.

@ Leftovers | Torrent
Relaxed | 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Atk
Stealth Rock | Scald | Earthquake | Roar or Toxic

Another thing that concerns me is the lack of good Ghost type that can reliably block rapid spin. I suggest using Sableye > Mismagius. Sableye provides a fast Taunt and Recover to block off enemy stall as well as a fast Will-o-Wisp. The fast WoW helps you versus thise annoying Fighting types that think they ruin your day. Foul Play is a really nice toy with which Sableye can play with since it attacks the opponent with their attack stat. This punishes any set up sweeper thinking they can set up.

@ Leftovers | Prankster
Calm | 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Taunt | Will-o-Wisp | Recover | Foul Play

Anyway its getting late here so I'm stopping here. I hope my suggestion will improve not only your teambuilding skills but also your battling skills. Good luck!

Thank you very much, Mylo Xyloto. I'll definitely try both of them out, especialy that Swampert.
Just a bit curious, but what do their EV spread do? I mean in term of handling attacks, attacking?

Last edited:
As far as the pokemons evs go I'll just quote the analysis,
The EVs provide Sableye with balanced defensive capabilties, with an emphasis on Sableye's Special Defense because of Sableye's access to priority burns to bolster its Defense. The Defense EVs allow Sableye to take on the UU newcomers Scrafty and Mienshao without trouble through a cycle of Will-O-Wisp and Recover, using Taunt if necessary to stop set-up. A Calm nature is ideal because neither of Sableye's main attacking options utilize Sableye's own Attack stat, and the benefit of minimizing possible confusion damage is preferred.
The purpose of the EVs is to reach a Leftovers number to recover more HP and maximize physical bulk. The remainder of the EVs are put into Attack so Earthquake can hit slightly harder

Then should I use this moveset on Swampert: Stealth Rock | Scald | Roar | Toxic? Because I think I need his ability to both phaze and toxic more than to hit with EQ. And Scald is good for the chance to burn.
Edit: I tested Swampert and Sableye, and they both are so awesome, and so bulky to take down. Thanks so much for that.

Last edited:

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Hi there, I have a few minor suggestions for your team:

Moveset Suggestions:
First of all, hazards are crucial to your endgame strategy of wearing down the opponent through phazing, and then setting up with Empoleon. But you lack spikes, so when the opponent has a Poison type your strategy is severely hindered, the only thing chipping away at the opponents health is Stealth Rock, and that usually won't wear the opponent down enough to sweep with Empoleon. You should use a Dual Spiking Roserade over your current set for this reason. You can still get Toxic Spikes up, but Spikes provide a consistent form of damage that helps a ton against an opponent with a poison type. Change Sleep Powder to Spikes, as well as Leech Seed to Rest for legality reasons. The rest of your sets are standard and the team looks solid, but Spikes support is really appreciated. Since you aren't able to sleep things after this, you should run fully Specially Defensive, since outspeeding things isn't important without sleep.

Suggested Changes:

Roserade @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rest
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Last edited:
I'm sorry but Sleep Powder is the reason I chose Roserade. I can't count how many times she came up as a lead against Crobat or Mienshao, predict a U-Turn, then sleep the switch in. Then I get a free layer of TSpikes, while taking out one of the opponents' pokes at the same time. So Leech Seed is changable, not Sleep Powder. My strategy with her isn't to suicide, but to live as long as possible to set up TSpikes as many times as it takes.

The reason I don't use Spikes, as stated above, is because it takes too much time. Let's say the opponent has a Foresight Hitmontop or Blastoise. They predict the Sableye switch in, and foresight on the switch, now my 3-6 turn of effort would go to waste, but here it's just 1-3 turns and I can set it back up in no time, while still wearing down the opponent with Leech Seed, Toxic, and burn.

And my team isn't depenent on Empoleon. Sometimes I see a change to switch in and set up, I don't mind bringing him in sooner. With a sub up and an Agility boost, he can punch holes in the opponent team so that the others can sweep late game. Don't underestimate a +1 Torrent Surf, it 2HKO many pokemons, and Grass Knot OHKO Swampert, 2HKO Slowbro.

I'm sorry but I don't think I can take up your advice.

Last edited:
I agree with that that PsYch071c fellow. In the current uu metagame, with nidoking/queen, roserade and qwilfish running around, poison types or more common than ever, rendering toxic spikes useless. Spikes, on the other hand, can only be removed by hitmontop and blastoise (claydol doesn't have foresight) and even then very few blastoises or hitmontops carry foresight; most carry toxic instead. Also if hitmontop foresights on your sableye switch you get to burn their spinner. I know the loss of sleep powder is annoying but something like sludge bomb is also invaluable to make sure you can scare off xatus or rest to keep roserade around longer or even aromatherapy to keep your team healthy. Also right now, your roserade is unfortunately rendered useless as long as your opponent has a xatu around or another roserade

It's your choice, but if I had to face this team, I'd sure as hell prefer facing this roserade over a spikes setting one.

I'm sorry, I forgot about Xatu, since I haven't met once since I started playing UU. I'll add him to the threat list.
As for Roserade, I haven't had problem with her since I started using this team, regardless of what her set is.

As for Hitmontop and Blastoise, if everything's right, they should have been toxiced, which means I can't burn them. And yeah I'll replace Leech Seed for Sludge Bomb or Rest. But I still don't see the use of Spikes over Sleep Powder and what does it help more against Xatu or the whole tier, not including that PsYch071c's set is also rendered useless against Xatu.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)