The Arabian Nights

INTRODUCTION

Hi to everybody! This is currently my second RTM post, bieng the first one another Sandstorm OU team. I really like sandstorm and it is my favorite weather even though rain can have more versatility and the sun is a little more agrresive.

The team started merely as an evolution from an older team. I was to tired of using the same Pokémon over and over again, and I also noticed that many players in the server discovered a way to get through the team by packing scarfers and priority users, so my sweep was ruined easily.

This team works in to phases I like to call "The Desert" and "The Genie". Basically "The Desert" consists in weakening the enemy through entry hazards and some bulky offense, building momentum, and eliminating some key Pokémon that can ruin my sweep; in "ThE Genie", my sweeper comes out and destroys every kind of opposition.

After experimenting with many team members, changing evs, abilities, movesets, and tactics I´m proud to present you, "The Arabian Nights"

BUILDING PROCESS​

First i needed to define my sweeper and obviously the sandsummoner. Hippowdon and Tyranitar were here to bring the sand. I chose to use the Double Sand Summon in order to have an emergency plan in case my summoner got haxed.

Both Hippowdon and Tyranitar were specially defensive because Hippowdon was constantly aimed with Special Water attacks, so this way he could at least endure one hit and putting some SR (in the sand). In Tyranitar´s case, he was aimed by far too many Physical and attacks, and with many of them doing x4 damage and no means of recovery besides leftovers, I thought it would be better to use the 50% Special Defense boost in the sandstorm

Alakazam was my sweeper. at the end of the fight, or when needed, Alakazam would come out and destroy the enemy.

I needed a Phsycal wall. It was hard to choose between Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Gliscor. Ferrothorn was better against rain teams, but he should´ve added more Fighting weakness, Gliscor was great against Jirachi, Terrakion and Landorus, but rain weakness would be added. Instead I chose to go neutral, with Skarmory being the one with the spot. He added some neccesary Spike Support to the team, allowing me able to wore down eviote walls as Chansey and Porygon 2 while doing whirlwinds. Skarmory was also able to stop HaxRachi and ScarfRachi and ocassionally KO-ing Volcaronas that tried to setup in Skarmory´s face (Only when Skarmory was at full HP).

Rotom-W and Gastrodon became my first answer against rain teams. Rotom was a bulky attacker, and Gastrodon too. They worked well against rain offense, but rain stalled destroyed them. With no spinner the Toxic Spikes destroyed 3 team members easily and Tentacruel was able to Sub-Toxic Rotom with good prediction. I also became weak to Sun, as Sawsbuck and Venasaur destroyed me after getting Skarmory KO-ed.

I really hate spinners, really hate them. Even though it is important to keep your field clean, they become dead weight if your enemy don´t relay on entry hazards to keep racking up damage. Suicune became a great member instead of a spinner. The classic CroCune set made wonders. as she became another wall, status absorber and a great late game sweeper in case Alakazam failed. The only problem was the tactic was to hax risky. It happened to me many times, at +6 Special Defense and full HP I was easily Ko-ed by some critical random attack, ending the sweep and limitating my defensive options.

Lucario became an answer after Suicune, I gave him an air balloon to have an easier time setting up Swords Dance, as he was able to switch in to a ground type move (preferebly choice user), setup and proceed to sweep. The problem was that if he was forced to switch after loosing the balloon we has practically useless. Choice Scarf and Choice Band Terrakion became a problem, because Lucario wasn´t strong enough to OHKO with non boosted Bullet Punch, enemy Lucario became a strong threat too, as the were able to 2HKO Skarmory in +2, so I was forced to loose Lucario and destroy Alakazam´s Focus Sash.

I tried Scizor too, but I didn't liked the way he was locked into a move nor the boosting setups.

Landorus T became a member, and what a member. He was able to setpu SR, letting Hippowdon run Ice Fang to destroy those horrible Air Balloons. He also helped Skarmory using intimidate to lower CBTerrakion power and forcing a lot of switches racking up some entry hazard + attack damage to the new switch in. He could also bluff a Choice Scarf (early game) set making some boosted enemies escape and loosing their boosts. The team now was almost perfect but in one aspect: Rain.

Celebi... The time traveler. After some battles against rain teams, I realized that Hippowdon became death weight in the team. Landorus T did a better job in putting pressure into enemies, forcing changes, adding SR, helping the team and getting a couple of KO's by himself. So Celebi seemed the right choice. First he started just as a merely supporter agains rain teams, but after seeing him I realized he was better than that. Changing his evs, nature and moveset he became a force Rain and Sandstorm teams couldn´t handle. Crippling enemies, tanking hit, destroying weather inducers, killing spinners and vanishing unaware Scizor into oblivion he earned his place in the team.

LOOKING THE COVER

THE ARABIAN NIGHTS BEGIN

Celebi: Shaytan

Shaytan (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Don´t let size trick you. Even though this is just a pixie Pokemon it can give serious problems to any team. Leaf Storm means doom to rain teams, Celebi just need to hit once to oliberate almost every water type in the tier. Thunder Wave cripples many Pokémon that think they are smart enough to take the Leaf Storm. Recover gives the little demon staying power and HP catches enemy Scizor off guard.

The newest addition to the team is great. He can destroy and cripple many rain threats to the team. He can also win the weather and force Keldeo out.

In the send he might catch a weakened Ferrothorn off guard and burn it to ashes with his HP, also Scizor is KO-ed with Spikes + SR Damage after using Leaf Storm. One thing I ust take care of Celeb is to look out for puirsuit users. if I see a possible pursuit user I´ll keep Celebi out of battle until the Pursuiter is weak enough to die with Leaf Storm or HP.

Celebi takes a hard time against sun teams, but he is not death weight. He can take out Donphan and Dugtrio or he can do something nicer: paralizing Chlorophil users on the switch or after enduring the first attack or he could retaliate with a sun boosted HP.

Skarmory: Helmaroc

Helmaroc (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Def / 60 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Personally, Skarmory is my favorite Pokémon. He looks badass, can take very strong hits, cripples the oponente with Spikes and then send them flying with Whirlwind. Don´t forget about that nice recovery move he gets with Roost, and, in rare ocasions, he sacrifice himself to stop enemy Volcarona that attempt to dance in his face.

With an incredble defensive synergy with the team, Skarmory is the phisical wall here, tanking many hits aimed at their partners. The evs are twisted, so he gets lefties number in order to keep his sturdy alive after SR damage. He likes to cripple the enemy with spikes, as the extra damage leaves the enemy in KO range to his teammates. Works great with Celebi, as he protects the little onion against U-turn users. Celebi in exhange, protects Skarmory against Volt Switch users.

With Landorus-T´s help, Skarmory gets a great defensive aid against CBTerrakion and other CBUsers that try to power through Skarmory's defenses. Rotom-W works well with Skarmory too, as he can switch into Heatran and WoW the switch in. He has the ability to make many players mad and forcing them to rage quit. And also, he can wear down offensive threats thank to Sturdy, Whirlwind and Roost in addition with sanstorm, spikes and SR damage (although gimmicky).

Tyranitar: Marid

Marid (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar is the Sandsturm Summoner. He also is a defensive Behemoth thanks to the Special Defense 50% boost in the sand, allowing him to take one on one defensive Politoeds in the sand. (Crunch deals about 25% + Sandstorm nullifying recovery, scalds does about 20 minus lefties *assuming Tyranitar isn´t burned*). He can give Ferrothorn, Forretres and Skarmory a nasty surprise with Fire blast and traps Lati Twins with pursuit. Brick Break for coverage and for breaking screens. RoyalBlue made important notice of Volcarona and how I didn´t have any real counter to it, he suggested Stone Edge, but after trying both SE amd EQ, the latter was a little more useful in practice as it weakened Volcarona enough for Alakazam getting it KO-ed with Psyshock

There are 4 Pokémon getting this guy back. Skarmory, Celebi and Landorus-T can take the fighting attaks aimed at him. Grass moves can be sponged by Skarmory and Celebi; ground attacks by Rotom-W, Skarmory and Tornadus-T (Celebi in case the attacker is Gastrodon or Quagsire) and water attakcs by Rotom-W and Celebi. In exchange he can really trap some threats against the team.

Tyranitar gets Lati Twins with his stab moves and great bulk. I also like to trap Xatu sending Skarmory out and then doing double switch against that ugly bird. SR rocks make the kill easier because Xatu and Espeon won´t switch into Landorus-T. He also fights Heatran in case of emergency and gets Psychic types that Alakazam may not OHKO (Reuniclus and Slowking). Tyranitar is also a good answer against Starmie as he can check it with Crunch or Pursuit.

Rotom-W: Ghul

Ghul (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This wash machine really gives a lot of support to the team. Along with Celebi, he forms an increibly bulky offensive threat against rain and sand teams. Volt switch scares many water types, while Hydro Pump hits hard non water types in the rain (take that!) WoW is incredible as it gives makes him a very good mixed wall. Pain Split is another great move, as it makes uses Chansey and Blissey to cure himself while leaveng them at 50% HP.

He is a good support for the team, as he can take resisted Special Attacks easily (those aimed at Landorus-T and Skarmory). He can cripple the opponent with WoW, making the team have an easier time as it slowly reduces enemy HP while cutting their Attack stat. Ferrothorn doesn´t like the burn, incoming Breloom either. Defensive Politoed hates it as he might be doomed to loose the weather war if he doesn't have some clerical support.

It can form a bulky Volt-Turn core with Landorus-T, forcing switches and making the enemy take entry hazard damage. He is the first reason Rain Offense keeps Politoed shut, as they know a mispredict means doom to them.

Landorus-T: Efrit

Efrit (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Efrit... Efrit means infernal genie... The name is accurate, Landorus-T brings hell to unprepared teams. The bulky variant helps him to switch in into Terrakion and laugh at it. SR to support the team, Earthquake to hit with a STAB move hard, U-turn for scouting and Stone Edge is for coverage.

This pal works great with Celebi, as Celebi can paralize faster Pokémon with T-Wave making them easy prey for Landorus. In addition, Celebi can take Water moves and threat with crippling a Pokémon or punch a hole into something; Celebi also can absorb status and laugh beacuase of Natural Cure. Rotom-W has great synergy too, as he can WoW enemies and chase away Ice Pokémon. He also benefits from Skarmory because Landorus can´t heal the damge taken, and Intimidate gives skarmory an easier time on some enemies (Satus Orb Conkeldurr and CB Terrakion). He also takes on Scizor, giving Celebi an easier time.

His only flaw is the lack of recovery. I first tried a Cleric Celebi, but I realized Landorus would do better if something took care of enemy water types. This way, Landorus survived to the end of the battle most of the time.

Alakazam: Jinn

Jinn (Alakazam) (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I´ve already shown you "The Desert", 5 Pokémon specifically designed to work in synergy in order to wear down the opponent. From envrimental hazards to powerful and decivieng monsters watching for an opportunity to strike you down. When a challanger powerful enough has overcome the tests, the genie will show. And the genie... He doesn't grants wishes...

Alakazam is the last Pokémon in the team. He has nearly none synergy with the team, he can´t take hits, he can´t check enemies at early nor midgame. In fact he doesn´t appears until the very end of the battle, when he is needed to sweep, or when he is the last one standing.

I keep Alakazam in his pokeball until showtime. After the enemy team has been worn out by the sandstorm, entry hazards, status, repeated attacks, ambushes and psychological warfare, he makes his appearance to end what "The Desert" began.

Psyshock allows him to be mixed and granting STAB attack, this is great against Terrakion as he gets a Sp. Def boost from sandstorm. Focus Blast (even with that shaky accuracy) allows him to deal with dark and steel types, Shadow Ball is for opposing Psychic and Ghost Pokémon, and HP Ice is for coverage. Focus Sash is there in case he gets hit by faster Pokemon or beacause a Focus Blast miss. After "The Desert" has made his work, "The Genie" is able to OHKO every single enemy left, inflicting terror and despair into the enemy.

CONCLUSION

This ends with "The Arabian Nights" team. Of course, it is not a perfect team ( I don´t think even there is a "perfect" team ). It has some flaws, like WoW accuracy, and like every Sand team, being weak to sun and rain sweepers.

Still there are some Pokémon that can make trouble forcing Alakazam to switch out early like Mixed Infernape (If using HP Ice) and Venasaur. The best way to deal with them is going around them while being a little random, this way they won´t know what to do and in the end i can cripple them, or safe switching Alakazam in order to get the KO. CMRachi in the rain can be a problem too, I usually handle it bringing the sand and phazing with Skarmory (wishing Thunder don´t strikes). If Rachi hasn´t boosted yet, Landorus can scare him away. Priority users also give me trouble, but only if there is more than one (Alakazam can´t sweep this way).

The way the team works is this:

1. Scouting the enemy (Scarfs, Priority and Style)
  2. Laying the hazards and getting the spinner (Lure, Hazards, Repeated Hits)
  3. Win the weather war. (Lure, Hazards, Repeated Hits).
  4. Eliminate key pokemon (Scarf, Priority, Focus Blast Targets, Walls)
  5. Use "The Desert" to finish or wear down the enemy. (Phazing, Tanking, Stalling, Volt-Turn, Repeated Hits)
  6. Alakazam sweep.

THREAT LIST

RAIN STALL

This is somewhat easy to face against, as my 5 Pokémon on my team ar inmune to Toxic Spikes (Celebi Just need to switch out, and it is perfect because he uses hit and run tactics). If I win the weather war, is almost certain I win, things get easier if get the spinner first.

RAIN OFFENSE

Leading with Celebi I choose between Using leaf Storm or crippling the swith in, normally is the first. Try to use Choice Locked Pokémon to lay your hazards. Use recovery moves whenever you have the opportunity and don't get risky with hax. If you an be 3HKO-ed be careful. Celebi and Rotom-W usually do the work, Tornadus-I and Thundurus-T can be nasty surprises, so wear them down in order to make Alakazam sweep at the end. Spam Celebi and Rotom-W crippling moves

SAND STALL

Keep Skarmory and Rotom-W alive don't worry to much about Tyranitar and use it freely against Heatran, watch out fo HaxRachi as he can cripple the team. A surprise HP Fire form Celebi, or Landorus-T Earthquake should do the job.

SAND OFFENSE

Keep Skarmory and Landorus-T alive, they can wall many enemies, force switches and slowly KO scarf users. Spam Leaf Storm and WoW. (Watch out for Landorus with Celebi,). Alakazam will do the job after Priority, ScarfMon, and Tyranitar are down.

SUN STALL

Watch out for burns. When possible face Celebi and Rotom with Sableye. With the hazards it will be easy to bring down the enemy after Donphan is out.

SUN OFFENSE

Maybe the hardest battle. Venasaur is priority, if you can T-Wave it or HP Fire him with Celebi is perfect. Winning the weather war also solves the problem, but watch out of Weather Trapper Heatran and alternate Sunny Day users. Heatran can be handled with Rotom-W as Dugtrio can switch into Tyranitar making the team fodder for Venasuar. Tyranitar can face a weakened Venasuar with Fire Blast, but it is not recommended because Rotom-W will be targeted with fast grass types. Watch out for Sleep Powder from Venasuar and Lilligant.

THANKS

Thanks a lot for reading this big topic. I leave you the importable here, and please, if using it, please keep the nicknames.

Shaytan (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ghul (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Marid (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Helmaroc (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Def / 60 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Efrit (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Jinn (Alakazam) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hey! I don't have time for a full rate so sorry.

First of all, why do you run sun if there are no abusers? So I'm suggesting Stoutland over Alakazam. Stoutland has Sand Rush which doubles Speed in sand. The set is below!

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Wild Charge
- Crunch
- Superpower

Overall good team and Gl!

Hey! I don't have time for a full rate so sorry.

First of all, why do you run sun if there are no abusers? So I'm suggesting Stoutland over Alakazam. Stoutland has Sand Rush which doubles Speed in sand. The set is below!

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Wild Charge
- Crunch
- Superpower

Overall good team and Gl!
Thanks for the rate! Well, the main reason I´m running sandstorm is to rack up some residual damage and eliminating lefties. It also is a weather control tactic, as I can neutralize many teams by removing their weather. It´s not about getting Sand Abusers, but to criple enemies teams to make Alakazam sweep.

Even when Stoutland is an awesome sand abuser Alakazam is the better choice. Alakazam can switch between moves and has better coverage.

Also Alakazam is a better late game sweeper as he can hit almost everything with a super effctive attack and won´t care about Intimidate. As you can see I don´t have a Spinner either so Stoutlound would be worn down with repetitive entry hazard damage, something Alakazam laughs at.

Finally, Alakazam is my best answer to fighting types as Conkeldurr, SD Lucario and Bulk Up Scarfty and Breloom can become a dangerous threats, powerful enemis that Stoutland can´t take down.

Anyway, thanks for the rate :)

Hey! I actually really like this team that you made here! Overall, it looks very solid but I see one extreme threat to your team. That threat is Volcarona. After a QD, it outspeeds the rest of your team and can kill most things with rocks up and at full health. It's fire stab can OHKO your Skarmory after rocks before you can whirlwind it out. Bug Buzz destroys Celebi and Zam (who fails to 1HKO it at full) as well as T-Tar who can't touch the moth since you don't have Rock Stab. Landorus gets murdered by fire blast and Rotom-W gets wrecked by Giga drain. So as a result, I recommend swapping Brick Break for Stone Edge. This Llows you to be able to KO Volcarona whileit fails to KO you at full health (unless it has HP fighting or it gets a crit). Yes brick break is nice but screens aren't used a lot these days and its important to have Dual Stab on T-Tar. Although it leaves you open to Terrakion, Heatran, Blissey in a way, etc but all of which you have better checks and counters anyways. All I got for now though! Good luck later on!

Hey! I actually really like this team that you made here! Overall, it looks very solid but I see one extreme threat to your team. That threat is Volcarona. After a QD, it outspeeds the rest of your team and can kill most things with rocks up and at full health. It's fire stab can OHKO your Skarmory after rocks before you can whirlwind it out. Bug Buzz destroys Celebi and Zam (who fails to 1HKO it at full) as well as T-Tar who can't touch the moth since you don't have Rock Stab. Landorus gets murdered by fire blast and Rotom-W gets wrecked by Giga drain. So as a result, I recommend swapping Brick Break for Stone Edge. This Llows you to be able to KO Volcarona whileit fails to KO you at full health (unless it has HP fighting or it gets a crit). Yes brick break is nice but screens aren't used a lot these days and its important to have Dual Stab on T-Tar. Although it leaves you open to Terrakion, Heatran, Blissey in a way, etc but all of which you have better checks and counters anyways. All I got for now though! Good luck later on!
You are totally right! Volcaron with golf team support (Spinner) can be a wrecking hall. Normally I real with it by forcing the Moth into battle taking hazard damage, but experienced players might keep their field clean.

What about running EQ instead? It won't OHKO Volcarona but it can weaken it enough for Alakazam getting the kill. EQ can also real with Heatran (after removing the balloon), hit Terrakion, Lucario and opposing Tyranitars on the switch and maybe Ko-ing Jirachi (with Celebi's T-Wave support); also EQ might give (though rare) Specially Defensive Skarmory a nasty surprise after Roost.

Hi, this is less of a rate (for now) and more of a question/clarification; is Celebi missing some EV's, or is it just me?

(Sorry but I have no idea how to quote on my iTouch so I'll just do it like this)

Anyways, yes, it's a very good point so EQ does work. The only reason I might recommend you using Stone Edge is in case you run into the rare Double Dance Thundurus (who by the way could completely wreck up your team if you let it set up enough. Since it runs HP Ice and T-Bolt, your check to it is Rotom and T-Tar (who can't hurt it a lot) and Rotom-W who has to rely on possibly stalling with Will-O-Wisp or risk the Hydro Pump. So stone edge could be nice here. On normal circumstances though, it would work well.

Good luck!

B)

(Sorry but I have no idea how to quote on my iTouch so I'll just do it like this)

Anyways, yes, it's a very good point so EQ does work. The only reason I might recommend you using Stone Edge is in case you run into the rare Double Dance Thundurus (who by the way could completely wreck up your team if you let it set up enough. Since it runs HP Ice and T-Bolt, your check to it is Rotom and T-Tar (who can't hurt it a lot) and Rotom-W who has to rely on possibly stalling with Will-O-Wisp or risk the Hydro Pump. So stone edge could be nice here. On normal circumstances though, it would work well.

Good luck!

B)
Thanks for the advice RoyalBlue. Today I tried both SE and EQ, I even asked a friend to run a Double Dance Thundurus. WoW + Sandstorm + Crunch + SR seem to deal with it. So I´m sticking with EQ.

You really helped the team by noticing the Volcarona flaw Thanks a lot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)