TechniciMons - XY Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Arcticblast

Have you ever thought the metagame was too ability-centric? Have you ever though some lower base power moves were cool but too weak to use normally? Have you ever used Breloom or Scizor and thought, "I wish other Pokemon were like that"? Well then, Technicimons is for you!

Technicimons is pretty simple. Stats stay the same. Movepools are only slightly altered. However, abilities are what are completely changed up.

How to play: Simply put, everything gets Technician and nothing else (with the exceptions of Slaking, Regigigas and Ditto, which only keeps Imposter).

That isn't all, although it is the main draw of Technicimons.

Simply enough, any move with 100+ base power is BANNED. Grass Knot and Low Kick are allowed, but Heat Crash and Heavy Slam are not.

This means no Stone Edge, no Earthquake, no Fire Blast, no Focus Blast, and no Close Combat or Superpower!
However, to keep from nerfing movepools too much, anything that used to have Focus Blast gets Aura Sphere and anything that used to have Superpower or Close Combat gets Force Palm to balance out movepools.

Where to play: I usually hang out on Joim's Lab. However, games can be organized anywhere on a Showdown server as a Custom Game. This metagame is also implemeted on Joim's Lab for the lazy.

So get out there! Try it out! Tell me what you think! Some things may surprise you.

Last edited:
Ah, good idea for a metagame! Let's see some mons who can use Technician to their advantage. This will definitely be an offensive metagame!

Weavile: Low Sweep, Ice Shard, Fake Out, Aerial Ace, Bite, Faint Attack, Metal Claw, Pursuit and Quick Attack are all viable. Swords Dance with Ice Shard will be amazing.

Conkeldurr: Bulldoze, Force Palm, Low Sweep, Mach Punch, Payback, Wake-Up-Slap

Er, it might be worth saying whether Slaking and Regigigas are banned. Also, does this mean Rock finally has (decent) accurate physical and special STABs?

Very interesting metagame! I will definitely try it out!

This will be the metagame where priority moves prevail. And I don't think it will be that offensive when wallbreaking moves are all gone. It is a nice chance for other forgotten moves with cool effects to shine though.

A question:

Simply enough, any move with 100+ base power is BANNED.
What about moves like Low Kick, Grass Knot, Heat Crash etc.?

Also: Super luck is also an ability that boosts moves sometimes (Tech when they have low bp, SL randomly) are you going to incorporate other forgotten but cool abilities as well? :3

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Wallbreaking could still work. Some mons have access to two types of priority, like Lucario, and could use the boost from Technician to power them up. But yeah not so much as before.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Welp, anything that uses Special Attack now has amazing coverage thanks to Hidden Power (You can IV it so it has 60 or 59 BP). Keldeo is looking really scary, with a moveset of Surf / Icy Wind / Hidden Power [Ghost / Electric / Bug] / Secret Sword. Sadly, you can't get dem Rain Boosted Surfs due to no Drizzle (unless you use a Rain Dance team I guess), but oh well.

SpartanMalice

Yeah, Keldeo gets boltbeam coverage with Icy Wind and Hidden power Electric which is great. I'd also use Scald over Surf cause of dat burn chance. The physical muskeeters can use either Sacred Sword or Double Kick which as the same base power as Sacred Sword after technician, but breaks subs.

As for Rock type STABs, Rock Tomb was suggested earlier, but Smackdown is interesting. After being hit by Smackdown, Levitate users lose their immunity. Fighting types with Mach Punch could theoretically use it to make Skarmory susceptible to their fighting type moves. All this coming off a 50 base power move, which is 75 BP, same as Rock Slide, and Rock Tomb after the boost.

Dual Chop is 60 BP after Technician, and being a multi hit move is superior to Outrage since it gets the same BP, no confusion, and breaks subs! While Dragon tail is a 90 BP phazing move.

What about moves like Low Kick, Grass Knot, Heat Crash etc.?
Those will undergo suspect testing. I'm considering banning Heat Crash and Heavy Slam and allowing Low Kick and Grass Knot, but I need your guys' opinion.

Er, it might be worth saying whether Slaking and Regigigas are banned. Also, does this mean Rock finally has (decent) accurate physical and special STABs?
Slaking and Regigigas keep their abilities and Ditto keeps Imposter. I forgot to mention that.

I agree: ban Heavy Slam/Heat Crash, keep Low Kick and Grass Knot, but cap the BP at 100 (if technologically possible).

Also, Cinccino is a monster in this tier. Bullet Seed, Tail Slap, and Rock Blast are all boosted, off a high attack stat.

Umm, it wouldn't be that much better than before, would it? Before, those moves had a BP of 125 while they now could have 75 to 187.5, averaging at around 131 BP.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hello, I'm kind of too busy to make a team but I'd just thought I'd note this: Storm Throw and Frost Breath are pretty good now, since they're 40 BP (qualifying for the Technician boost) yet having an effective BP of 80 (120 with the boost). Thus in theory could Pinsir be good with Bug Bite/Storm Throw/Bulldoze/Quick Attack or something like that, especially since it also gets Moxie?

canno

formerly The Reptile
Hello, I'm kind of too busy to make a team but I'd just thought I'd note this: Storm Throw and Frost Breath are pretty good now, since they're 40 BP (qualifying for the Technician boost) yet having an effective BP of 80 (120 with the boost). Thus in theory could Pinsir be good with Bug Bite/Storm Throw/Bulldoze/Quick Attack or something like that, especially since it also gets Moxie?
Frost Breath is essentially Blizzard, except it trades low accuracy for the chance to technically crit (since, you know, always crit). Oh, and it can bypass Calm Mind, which is always nice.

I think the only notable users of it though are Jynx and maybe Cryogonal, due to their high speed and special attack (ignoring the bulkier users due to low speed). Glaceon, while slow, also has immense power, so that's a thing.

Because I like making lists, here's a list of viable moves boosted by Technician.

Before I get into it, I believe moves with variable BP should be allowed to stay - this meta highlights them just as much as it highlights Technician moves, as people are forced to find alternative high-powered moves.

• Acid Spray - Poison - 60 BP - Would not be notable if it weren't for the free pseudo-Nasty Plot.
  • Acrobatics - Flying - 82.5 BP - While not as powerful as Aerial Ace or Pluck, the chance for this to become 110 BP, either by item consumption or Knock Off, makes it arguably the best physical Flying move available.
  • Aerial Ace - Flying - 90 BP - Fantastic distribution and good coverage, this will find its way on to many a physical attacker.
  • Air Cutter - Flying - 82.5 BP - Alternative to Air Slash for those who prefer power and crits over flinching.
  • AncientPower - Rock - 90 BP - Only really notable on Omastar, who now has a good special Rock STAB with a nasty secondary effect.
  • Aqua Jet - Water - 60 BP - Priority!
  • Assurance - Dark - 75 BP - An alright substitute to Bite with a chance for 100 BP.
  • Beat Up - Dark - variable BP - Mostly notable on Weavile, for whom it is a 153 BP STAB when used at full strength. Less reliable late game, but makes Weavile a huge early game threat.
  • Bite - Dark - 90 BP - The best physical Dark move available, with awesome distribution. Pretty sure everything with Crunch gets this upgrade, and then some.
  • Bone Rush - Ground - 112.5 BP on average - Really needs better distribution. Only really notable on Lucario.
  • Bonemerang - Ground - 150 BP - Holy crap. Beware the Marowak.
  • Bug Bite - Bug - 90 BP - Replaces X-Scissor and Megahorn as the go to STAB for most physical Bug-types - pretty sure every single Bug learns it. The only one who doesn't appreciate it is the irrelevant Vespiquen, who has the superior Attack Order.
  • Bulldoze - Ground - 90 BP - One of many Technician moves with a 100% chance to lower Speed, its good distribution, great secondary, and still solid BP ensure that this will be the new Earthquake.
  • Bullet Punch - Steel - 60 BP - Metagross pawnch! Scizor already pawnched.
  • Bullet Seed - Grass - 112.5 BP on average - With great distribution, this is the new standard for physical Grass types.
  • Charge Beam - Electric - 75 BP - Special attacking Electric-types spamming this will be a huge threat.
  • Chatter - Flying - 90 BP - Congrats, Chatot, you have the best special Flying move in the meta! Too bad you still suck.
  • Circle Throw - Fighting - 90 BP - Has poor distribution, but could finally give Throh its day in the limelight.
  • Clear Smog - Poison - 75 BP - Yeah, you keep trying to boost in my face.
  • Double Kick - Fighting - 90 BP - Alternative Fighting move for breaking Subs.
  • Dragon Tail - Dragon - 90 BP - Powerful phazing move with great distribution.
  • DragonBreath - Dragon - 90 BP - The new go to special Dragon STAB, with a thoroughly annoying paralysis chance.
  • Dual Chop - Dragon - 120 BP - Ensuring that physical Dragons still rule the world, Dual Chop is arguably even better than Outrage, only suffering from 90% accuracy. Oh wait, only two Dragons learn it? Crap.
  • Electro Ball - Electric - variable BP - Now has reliable BP at every level, hitting for 80 BP at its weakest and 150 at its strongest.
  • Electroweb - Electric - 82.5 BP - A unique alternative STAB for a few Electric-types, and a great new coverage option for a few others. Has a 100% chance to lower Speed.
  • Fake Out - Normal - 60 BP - Because we needed to outclass Ambipom even more.
  • Flame Charge - Fire - 75 BP - Excellent distribution, turns practically every physical Fire-type into a deadly sweeper.
  • Flame Wheel - Fire - 90 BP - Poor distribution, but the most powerful physical Fire STAB for the few that learn it. Outclassed by Flame Charge however.
  • Force Palm - Fighting - 90 BP - An alright alternative to Low Sweep with distribution, gives a chance to inflict a permanent Speed drop instead guaranteeing a temporary one.
  • Frost Breath - Ice - 60 BP - With a 100% crit chance allowing it to match Blizzard in power, this is the new go-to special STAB for Ice types.
  • Gear Grind - Steel - 150 BP - Holy Crap! Also beware the Klingklang.
  • Grass Knot - Grass - variable BP - Marginally more reliable, still only really useful for taking out heavy targets when you have no other options.
  • Heart Stamp - Psychic - 90 BP - Best physical Psychic move out there. Too bad no one learns it.
  • Heat Crash - Fire - variable BP - Exclusive to Emboar and now more reliable, becomes an alternative to Flame Charge for its potentially high power.
  • Heavy Slam - Steel - variable BP - Only really improves Aggron with increased reliability.
  • Hex - Ghost - 75 BP - While outpowered by Shadow Ball and Ominous Wind normally, the chance for 100 BP when the target is statused make this arguably the best special Ghost move. And you know how Ghosts like their status.
  • Hidden Power - Normal - variable BP - Oh wait, other special attacks exist? Couldn't tell, since Hidden Power gives every mon ever access to a 90 BP move of the type of their choosing.
  • Ice Shard - Ice - 60 BP - Priority!
  • Icicle Spear - Ice - 112.5 BP on average - Arguably a nerf to Cloyster, but definitely a buff for Mamoswine. Could go for wider distribution.
  • Icy Wind - Ice - 82.5 BP - Misses out on the power and accuracy of other 100% Speed reducing moves, makes up for it with great coverage and distribution.
  • Low Kick - Fighting - variable BP - Marginally more reliable, still only really useful for taking out heavy targets when you have no other options.
  • Low Sweep - Fighting - 90 BP - 100% chance to lower Speed and wide distribution, this is now the go-to physical Fighting move.
  • Mach Punch - Fighting - 60 BP - Priority!
  • Magical Leaf - Grass - 90 BP - Unlike Energy Ball, the power difference between this and Giga Drain is enough to make it a viable alternative.
  • Magnet Bomb - Steel - 90 BP - Powerful and reliable, this would be the safe option for physical Steel-types if any physical Steel-types actually learned it.
  • Metal Claw - Steel - 75 BP - Thanks to a small chance to increase Attack, this will provide some competition to Iron Head.
  • Needle Arm - Grass - 90 BP - With that sexy Flinch chance, this should be better than Leaf Blade... Too bad the fastest mon to learn it has 60 Speed.
  • Ominous Wind - Ghost - 90 BP - The most powerful special Ghost move available with a deadly secondary effect, its low PP may be a deterrent.
  • Payback - Dark - 75 BP - An alright substitute to Bite with a chance for 100 BP.
  • Pluck - Flying - 90 BP - Would be the go to STAB for Flying types if Acrobatics didn't exist.
  • Poison Fang - Poison - 75 BP - Little known fact: this inflicts TOXIC Poison, not the regular variety. Easily outclasses Poison Jab where available as a result.
  • Poison Tail - Poison - 75 BP - This also arguably outclasses Poison Jab due to a high crit rate.
  • Punishment - Dark - 90 BP - Arguably better than bite, as it powers up when the opponent boosts, but suffers from PP issues.
  • Quick Attack - Normal - 60 BP - Priority! With wide distribution!
  • Rock Blast - Rock - 112.5 BP on average - Expect to hear a lot of people cursing Rock Miss, Miss Blast, whatever they want to call it, as it will be the new standard among physical Rock moves.
  • Rock Tomb - Rock - 75 BP - Shoddy accuracy, but a 100% chance to lower Speed makes it a viable alternative to Smack Down / Rock Blast.
  • Round - Normal - 90 BP - Um, so if a faster opponent uses this first, it'll have 120 BP, I guess? Great for all those special normal-type versus special normal-type battles that crop up. Marginally better than Hyper Voice and practically every mon ever learns it.
  • Shadow Sneak - Ghost - 60 BP - Priority!
  • Shadow Punch - Ghost - 90 BP - GOLURK PAWNCH! (Dusknoir also pawnch?)
  • Silver Wind - Bug - 90 BP - May seem like a solid special STAB with a game-changing secondary effect, but its low PP will likely result in Bug Buzz winning out.
  • Sky Drop - Flying - 90 BP - Higher base power makes this unique stalling move much more viable.
  • Smack Down - Rock - 75 BP - The only 100% accurate physical Rock move, its secondary also happens to complement the Ground moves that Rock types commonly carry.
  • Snarl - Dark - 82.5 BP - This is probably one of the most important moves in the meta, with good power and a 100% chance to lower Special Attack. Imagine any kind of defensive mon with this.
  • Stored Power - Psychic - variable BP - easier to get the ball rolling with this now as it has 90 BP at just +2.
  • Storm Throw - Fighting - 60 BP - With its 100% critical chance it effectively has 120 BP. Too bad only Pinsir and Throh learn it (this meta is really kind to them).
  • Tail Slap - Normal - 112.5 BP - It's like Cinccino went back in time.
  • Triple Kick - Fighting - 90 BP - Exclusive to Hitmontop, this is another sub-breaking alternative to Low Sweep with a unique back-loaded effect (first hit has 15 BP, second 30 BP, third 45 BP).
  • Twineedle - Bug - 75 BP - A viable alternative to Bug Bite for breaking Subs, but its only notable users are Escavalier and Scolipede.
  • Vacuum Wave - Fighting - 60 BP - Special priority!
  • Water Pulse - Water - 90 BP - A confusion-inducing alternative to Surf and Scald.
  • Weather Ball - Normal - 75 BP - Now still hits a little hard if someone unexpectedly changes the weather on you (oh yeah, no auto-weather here BTW)

How do you approach Return/Frustration? It's unique in that it has variable BP, but plays like a set BP move due to it not changing in battle. If variable BP moves continue to be allowed, could people still use Return at 102 BP, or would they have to lower it to 99?

SpartanMalice

Flying gem Acrobatics could potentially be useful. Idk how the boost works, before or after flying the technician boost, but I've seen some people use Fighting Gem Techniloom with Low Sweep in OU so yeah...

Also, If Return's power can be changed by lowering happiness and Vice Versa with Frustration, then I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed.

Sadly once acrobatics uses the gem it becomes 110 BP (which is why it's so great) so it's no longer boosted by Technician

Some attacks seem amazing while some don't really have a chance at all (Ex. the only common user of Electroball are the rotom forms & magnezone who aren't exactly fast while the best is galvantula who might get some use but is otherwise a below average mon), stats will be something important in here, more so since now nobody has their regular ability to back them up (so a boost for mons that didn't really care about it like Keldeo and a nerf for those who did like Jirachi)

This looks very cool, Lucario seems like it will be an amazing Priority abuser with boosted Bullet Punch & Vaccum Wave along Extremeespeed & either Low Sweep / Bite / Hidden Power for a better STAB that reduced speed or a coverage move

SpartanMalice

Yeah, but I meant if it gets the Technician boost before it uses the gem or after. If it's before, then it's all good because the gem will be powering up an 82.5 BP move, making it a 123.75 BP move, stronger than the 110 BP after losing the item. If it recieves the flying gem boost before however, well then it's just an 82.5 BP move and Technician becomes useless. Sceptile could probably make use of this with Unburden.

Low Sweep seems like an interesting option on Lucario if not given any speed EVs, which means you can invest more in both offensive stats.

yeah, but the gem boosts the first him which thanks to the gem being used is at full power (effectively acrobatics is 165 BP for the first him with the gem and 110 for the next ones)

SpartanMalice

Still, 110 BP isn't bad in a meta where the cap is at 100, even if you have to forego an item. I mentioned Sceptile earlier, because he has the movepool to make this work, and gets a great boost speed boost with Unburden, and remember, Sceptile's base speed is 125 which is already pretty fast. Gliscor can still use Bulldoze in place of Earthquake. And oh hey, Flying Gem Archeops says goodbye to defeatist and welcomes a boost from Technician, coming off 140 base attack. That's definitely gonna wreck some things.

I can see Frost Breath, Storm Throw, multi hit moves, and priority attacks becoming very dominant in this metagame, for example:

Nature: Adamant/EV's: 252 HP, 4 DEF, 252 SPD/Item: Chesto Berry

-Storm Throw/Circle Throw
-Payback
-Bulk Up
-Rest

Oooh, Throh is probably going to have a lot of usage. Storm Throw is 120 BP with technician because it becomes 60 BP with Technician with a guaranteed crit. Meanwhile, Circle Throw becomes 90 BP with Technician and Payback can either 82 BP or 100 BP provided the foe hits you first.

I can also see Klinklang being decent in this tier

Nature: Adamant/ EV's: 100 HP, 252, 156/Item: Life Orb

-Shift Gear
-Gear Grind
-Wild Charge
-Vice Grip

Klinklang is going to be abused often, Gear Grind becomes a horribly high 150 BP with Technician, I don't know about Vice Grip because i'm assuming Return won't be allowed.

Last but not least!

Nature: Adamant/EV's: 252 ATT, 208 HP, 44 SPE/ Item: Thick Club

-Bonemerang
-Smack Down
-Double Kick/Fire Punch
-Substitute

The reason why i'm mentioning Marowak is because of his new 150 BP move, Bonemerang. Smack Down is also really good because it allows you to put Skarmory in the ground then KO it with Bonemerang. Double Kick becomes 90 BP which is nice, while Fire Punch KO's key threats such as Scizor. Substitute allows you to scout the foes switch ins, since Marowak forces a lot of switches this won't be a problem. The given spread allows you to strike foes with optimum power/HP to survive well/just enough speed to outspeed uninvested 50 base speed.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
However, to keep from nerfing movepools too much, anything that used to have Focus Blast gets Aura Sphere and anything that used to have Superpower or Close Combat gets Low Sweep to balance out movepools.
I think this is sort of an unnecessary change. It's okay for existing pokemon to get nerfed. It's an OM; it doesn't need to have the same viable pokemon as OU.

Not to mention Aura Sphere especially unnecessary when HP Fighting has the same BP.

Personally, I think OMs are best with as few rules as possible, and with those rules as simple and easy-to-memorize as possible.

I'd suggest something like:

- every pokemon gets Technician
- moves with a listed base power above 100 get banned

"Listed base power" means the number that appears in the "base power" box when you select it in-game. That's also the number in the base power column in PSdex and Veekundex. So Return would be allowed because its base power is "–" and Brine would be allowed because its listed base power is "65" but Acrobatics would be banned because its listed base power is "110".

Umm, it wouldn't be that much better than before, would it? Before, those moves had a BP of 125 while they now could have 75 to 187.5, averaging at around 131 BP.
Actually, it's 112.5 average. Multi-hit moves hit 2 or 3 times more often than they hit 4 or 5 times; they average at exactly 3 hits.

Weavile: Low Sweep, Ice Shard, Fake Out, Aerial Ace, Bite, Faint Attack, Metal Claw, Pursuit and Quick Attack are all viable. Swords Dance with Ice Shard will be amazing.
I've been looking at Fake Out mons boosted by TechniciMons, and Weavile definitely stands out.

Fake Out + Ice Shard Weavile does tons of damage.

It's tied with Fake Out + Mach Punch Hitmonlee for highest damage dealt before any opponent can make a regular priority attack, and Weavile has a number of other advantages.

New rule. Frustration is banned and Return is allowed at 90 BP or under. This means max happiness allowed with Return is 225.

lol, kind of curious why beat up weavile wasn't mentioned :O
its BP with a full team is 150, thanks to technician

edit: lol, didn't find it with ctrl+f because /hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)