Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC Approved 1/3: Treecko
GP Approved 0/2
[Overview]
  • Stats are strictly mediocre barring Speed
  • Extreme frailty + SR weakness
  • Weak to Dark-type attacks, making it easy pickings for Pokemon such as Skuntank and Kangaskhan
  • Faces stiff competition from the likes of Musharna, Jynx, and Gardevoir
  • Simple turns it into a good sweeper, as CM now gives it an Amnesia and a Nasty Plot boost in one turn; but it NEEDS a boost to do any good damage
  • Access to Stored Power allows Swoobat hit really hard with a boost under its belt, even with a measly 77 Special Attack stat
[SET]
name: SubSalac
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Stored Power
move 4: Heat Wave
item: Salac Berry
ability: Simple
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Simple enables Calm Mind to give Swoobat a Nasty Plot and Amnesia boost in one turn; it also doubles the Speed boost Salac Berry provides, making Swoobat nigh-impossible to revenge kill without priority
  • Substitute lets Swoobat have an easier time getting into Salac Berry range, while also protecting it from priority if the Substitute stays intact (which might happen thanks to the Special Defense boosts Calm Mind provides)
  • Stored Power reaches a whopping 140 Base Power after a Calm Mind and Salac Berry boost, annihilating anything that doesn't resist it
  • Heat Wave gets the OHKO on Jynx, and also allows you to hit the annoying Regice super effectively
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Life Orb can be used for additional power, but without Salac Berry, Swoobat is susceptible to revenge killers and Stored Power actually loses power when it trades the Salac Berry boost for the Life Orb boost
  • Likewise, Leftovers can also be used if you desire longevity
  • Psyshock and Psychic are alternate Psychic STAB options that allow Swoobat to hit hard as soon as it enters the field, but coming off of its terrible Special Attack, it won't be doing much
  • Hidden Power Ground can be used to hit Probopass, Bastiodon, and Skuntank super effectively, but then Swoobat won't be able to OHKO Jynx, who in turn KOe sit after Stealth Rock, even after a boost
  • Giga Drain is an interesting coverage move that lets Swoobat heal health after it has activated Salac Berry
  • Swoobat needs Stealth Rock off the field; Taunt Serperior and Misdreavus can beat almost every Stealth Rock user and prevent them from setting up
  • Choice Band Sawk can OHKO many Stealth Rock users while also breaking pesky walls such as Audino, Lickilicky, and Regice
  • Torkoal is a good choice for a spinner, as it can set up Stealth Rock to aid Swoobat's sweep, and lures Ground-type attacks for Swoobat to switch in on
  • Probopass can take Rock-, Ghost-, Ice-, and Dark-type attacks aimed at Swoobat, while also providing a slow Volt Switch to bring Swoobat in safely
  • Swoobat really likes dual screens support from the likes of Serperior, as it gives Swoobat twice as many set up turns
[Other Options]
  • Swoobat has an excellent support movepool filled with goodies such as Toxic, Tailwind, Taunt, Trick, dual screens, Knock Off, Magic Coat, and U-turn, but it has nowhere near the bulk required to effectively use it
  • Roost is a reliable recovery move, but Swoobat will never find the time to use it; using Roost will also take away a precious moveslot
  • Charge Beam can be used to do a little bit of Electric-type damage while also having a great chance to boost Swoobat's Special Attack, but it's outclassed by Calm Mind, which also boosts Special Defense
  • The Klutz + Trick combination can work to Trick opponents harmful items, but this strategy is very gimmicky and hard to pull off because of Swoobat's frailty
  • Choice items are out of the question because of Swoobat's disappointing offensive stats; in addition, Jynx and Gardevoir severely outclass it in this regard
[Checks and Counters]
  • Avoid letting it set up; Encore + Pursuit Liepard can do this
  • Regice can take any move Swoobat throws at it with ease, and OHKOes with Ice Beam after Stealth Rock, even with a Calm Mind boost
  • Bastiodon can phaze with Whirlwind and only really fears Hidden Power Ground, which it can take with Sturdy intact
  • Priority moves such as Aqua Jet can defeat it as long as it isn't ehind Substitute
  • Golem with Sturdy intact can KO through Substitute with Rock Blast
  • Finally, Imposter Choice Scarf Ditto can beat Substitute-less Swoobat and can then sweep through the rest of its team

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We talked briefly about this on IRC, and (I think) we came to the consensus that the set should be as follows.

name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Stored Power / Psychic
move 3: Air Slash
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Substitute
item: Life Orb / Leftovers (corresponding with the fourth moveslot)
ability: Simple
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

small notes
Stored Power is preferred as you usually need two Calm Mind boosts to do major damage anyways because Swoobat is pretty weak. It can also utilize the Special Defense boosts to help it set up. Psychic is still cool because if you're only able to get off one Calm Mind, it hits almost as hard as Stored Power after one Calm Mind, and because Swoobat does have great Speed, there are situations where you might be able to pick something off with Psychic before boosting. Hidden Power Ground is used almost exclusively for Bastiodon, Probopass, and Metang, while Substitute helps you beat Skuntank and Kangaskhan. The 4 HP EVs are moved to Special Defense so that Swoobat can switch into Stealth Rock four times. (This isn't huge or anything, but since it makes very little difference anyways, might as well go for it). This in particular doesn't need stated because if the player does decide to use the 4 HP EVs, chances are it won't really affect him anyways. If you have any questions or QC disagrees with this, that's what the thread is here for!

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks @Treecko, I've implemented that.

I have also finished up the SC and will wrap everything up by tonight.

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
(sorry for the double post) I finished the skeleton and it's ready for QC checks :D

Add priority users to checks and counters, I don't see it and it is probably the best way for bulker, slower teams to beat it if it get's going. Imo sub should slash before HP Ground, especially if its only meant for a few pokemon, and then mention partners like Golurk or CB Sawk (who is already mentioned as a partner) to eliminate those threats. It is much easier to predict and if they attempt to status it, they are in for a world of trouble. But thats just my opinion :)

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Surprised no-one has actually caught this, in the overview
  • Simple turns it into a good sweeper, as CM now gives it an Amnesia and a Dark Pulse boost in one turn
Should be Nasty Plot boost

OO could contain a lot of other options such as;
  • Giga Drain / Energy Ball (But it's not lasting around too long because its so frail)
  • Heat Wave to hit Steels that resist your stab combination
  • Charge Beam to increase it's Sp.Atk whilst damaging the opponent.
  • Signal Beam is also there to hit opposing Psychics / Dark types on the switch
  • Magic Coat is another interesting option, but you're not staying in on most hazard setters.

I'd wager an Expert belt / Specs set could be viable but I haven't tested it so it's purely theory at this point.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd mention in the Overview how it NEEDS to boost to hit hard, since like you already said its base 77 SpA sucks and Stored Power is completely horrible without a boost.

Also imo Psyshock should go into OO not AC, because Psychic isn't that great to begin with and Psyshock's lower base power only compounds this. Might be wrong though, check with QC on that one :\

Hope I helped :)

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
@Lolkomori I made the HP Ground < Substitute change. I've already mentioned priority in the form of Kangaskhan and Skuntank in C&C (I'm not mentioning Mach Punch/Vaccuum Wave because Swoobat resists it, and also not mentioning ESpeed because it's really rare)

@FireMage Nice catch! Most of the moves you mentioned were already in AC, but I've added Magic Coat and Charge Beam to OO. I really don't think swoobat will do good with those sets, as it's way too weak, and Garde kinda outclasses it imo. But id QC thinks otherwise, I'll definitely add it in

@Dat Blast I support that, but I'll wait for QC approval

Thanks guys! :)

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
  • Cut the mention of Swoobat's typing allowing it to set up on Ground- and Fighting-type attacks. Choice Band Sawk gets a 2HKO against Swoobat with Close Combat, while Choice Scarf Primeape can revenge kill later with Ice Punch or Stone Edge. Golurk locked into Earthquake can be exploited, but with Swoobat on the opposing team, the user of Golurk will likely never lock into Earthquake anyways. Any other Ground- or Fighting-type typically isn't Choiced and has a way of beating Swoobat.
  • The last point can also be cut, as it's true for any Pokemon.

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Again, it can't set up against Choice-locked Sawk or Primeape.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Move Roost to OO. Roost means you miss out on crucial coverage or Substitute, which is totally not worth it.
  • The only other coverage move worth using is Heat Wave for a stronger option against Steel-types. The others are OO-worthy.
  • Instead of Rapid Spin support (which completely sacrifices momentum and is overall difficult to do anyways), mention other ways of handling hazards. Taunt Serperior and Misdreavus can beat almost every Stealth Rock user and prevent them from setting up, while Choice Band Sawk can OHKO many as well.
  • Again, Swoobat can't take Fighting- or Ground-types on comfortably, so Probopass and Bastiodon aren't necessary to mention. However, if you want to mention this for Probopass, it also provides a slow Volt Switch to bring in Swoobat safely.
Make these changes, and I'll stamp.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Set Comments]
When talking about CM helping it keep setting up, I would add on that even with the Simple CM special attacks still do a good amount of damage.

[Additional Comments]
Instead of Dual Screens Musharna, put Serperior instead as it's a better dual screener and stacks less weaknesses. I notice here you mention a lot of Swoobat being able to come into Ground-type attacks and set up on them, but it really can't the mon is Choiced in some way. Making that clear would be good.

[Checks and Counter]
Serp is outsped by Swoobat and is kind of a free Calm Mind, which after it does CM it just OHKOes with Air Slash or Stored Power. Liepard doesn't really use Taunt really, instead of talking about Taunt at all just mention Encore Liepard as being able to checkmate it with Encore + Pursuit if it attempts setting up. I would mention how Scarf Jynx can OHKO Swoobat even at +2 after SR or without SR, put Swoobat in range where LO will end its sweep.

Now the biggest thing that needs to be mentioned for this has to be SubSalac Swoobat. The set being: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (4 HP is for Salac activation) Timid @Salac Berry with Substitute / Calm Mind / Stored Power / Heat Wave. The reason for this set being good is that Simple also doubles the boost of Salac Berry meaning that it's impossible to revenge kill Swoobat with anything other than priority once its set up. Giving it +2 Speed means that it's also giving a good boost to Stored Power's power.(After a CM + Salac its Stored Power is stronger than LO's) Heat Wave is because Signal Beam doesn't KO Jynx all the time without Stealth Rock, which is the prime revenge killer in the tier so being able to OHKO it with SR or not is kind of important. Plus Heat Wave still hits Cacturne/Shiftry for SE and hits Skunk harder than Signal Beam; Standard Pivot Musharna is set up fodder to SubCM and ofc Jynx gets killed by Heat Wave.

This definitely needs a big mention in OO, though I think that it's probably better than the current set you have now. Current won't have an easy time vs priority regardless and gets revenge killed by Scarf Pokemon. For everyone: opinions on this?

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
I'm ok with this, so long as a Life Orb/Leftovers sets gets a fairly heavy mention in AC. SubSalac is really cool for all the reasons you mentioned; however, as with any SubSalac sweeper, it makes Swoobat even more vulnerable to priority once Salac has been activated, as you can't even Sub against Sucker Punch users. For that same reason, I think Giga Drain should also be put into AC so that you can Sub again after Salac has been activated. Otherwise though, I do agree that the Salac set is probably more effective overall than what's up there right now.

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
Implemented. I have re-written the SC and AC, and also tweaked the OO and C&C. Is it check-worthy yet @ebeast ?

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In Check and Counters add that most Scarf Pokemon in general can be considered checks if Swoobat has not gotten its Salac boost as Swoobat is extremely frail. Go more in depth about priority since it's the biggest thing stopping a fully set up Swoobat. Add Lickilicky and Audino in C&C as they can take a 140 BP Stored Power and KO back. Regice is generally pretty reliable although if Regice switches into Swoobat as it CMs, Swoo can just CM again and Ice Beam will put it in Salac range; from there 220 BP Stored Power OHKOes Regice. So add you can add that in there in some way if you want.

QC Approved 2/3 @Rohail

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)