SS LC SS LC: Staryu + Scarf Mudbray Spike Stack (Peaked Top 10)

Gm Smogon, I'm going to share a team I used to great success, laddering to my highest ever ELO and getting to Top 10 on LC ladder.
3882747F-3A32-40DB-8E22-5BF9A3BDF69D.jpeg

The Paste is here!

D72FCC75-85A5-4772-80C2-3FAF9759E177.gif

Maria (Grookey) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Grassy Surge
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch

The first mon on the team is Grookey. I chose Grassy Seed over Life Orb here, as Grookey hits plenty hard with Hazards up and being at +2. Grassy Seed also hits three things that would normally wall Grookey: Foongus, Larvesta, and the now more popular Morelull. +2 Acrobatics kills all three of these. Grassy Glide is for mainly stab, and Drain Punch puts a chunk into Ferroseed.

29718948-7AD9-4883-95E8-8B6EAD198FFE.gif

Hot for Teacher (Ponyta) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- High Horsepower

The Pony is a huge threat to most teams, as it has great neutral coverage and a good attack and great speed stat. It's standard Ponyta, but with Flame Body over Flash Fire specifically to deal with Priority users and Carvanha players that manage to outspeed me by getting a double protect, or something like that. Flare Blitz kills Ferroseed, which is a roadblock to other members of my team, and Flame Charge helps Ponyta become a huge threat. Wild Charge hits Staryu and Mareanie, while High Horsepower hits other Ponyta.

5F800889-70E6-4DFC-87D2-F842C1B884C1.gif

I'm Still Standing (Timburr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 36 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Bulk Up Timburr may seem like an odd choice here, but it's here for good reasons. One; It gives me an even easier time against the Huge Threats that are Carvanha and Tyrunt. Two; It's pretty bulky even after only one boost. Three; In Case I'm dealing with Abra, I can use Mach Punch to break the Sash as a way to not be 6-0'd by it, because I can have a faster teammate or Priority user come in and kill it if they don't have a switch in.Knock Off is a great tool; Things like Ferroseed and Koffing don't appreciate losing their eviolite, and helps vs Frillish, which can be used as Set-Up Fodder because of Guts.

B77C3855-4578-481B-AF23-03587836C237.gif

Under Pressure (Dwebble) @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Rock Blast

It wouldn't be spike stack without the spiker of course. Dwebble helps out a lot with chipping opponents down for my breakers to go to work. Stealth Rock and Spikes are essentially here, and Knock Off/Rock Blast are great weapons in their own right. I've saved myself being destroyed by tyrunt by just knocking it off and revenge killing it.

2B2D4926-0F3C-4CB2-B620-2EA6775D33CE.gif

G.O.M.D (Mudbray) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Close Combat
- High Horsepower

Mudbray is a pretty cool mon to use, it hits like Cinderblocks on a Freight Train, and is surprisingly fast with Choice Scarf, being only outsped by other scarfers that hit above 16 speed. Earthquake deals a ton to anything that doesn't resist it; High Horsepower is the alternative attack to use with Grassy Terrain up. Heavy Slam 2HKOes Natu and 2HKOes Grookey with Rocks up. Close Combat OHKOs Scarf Porygon and 2HKOes Ferroseed. It even has defensive utility; Switching it into a Fake Out or other weak Physical move can give you the ability to take more physical hits.

C4525B94-AABB-4CB5-B050-B94C9B42A401.gif

Amarillo (Staryu) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin / Recover

If you let Staryu in and you don't have a Ferroseed, whatever coming is going to take a lot of damage. Life Orb Staryu is quite rare, but it's a fun set to use. Hydro Pump is an absolute nuke of a new move to have when boosted by Analytic and Life Orb, destroying most Neutral Targets. Thunderbolt hits Mareanie and Frillish, and Ice Beam hits Cocky Grookey trying to switch in on a Hydro Pump. Rapid Spin can also be used to exploit switches, but can also be swapped out for Recover if you want more longevity and don't care for Hazards.

THREAT LIST:
A4AF8EA2-5C0E-4614-8FE3-AFDFCDBDDD58.gif

Quick Note here: Mienfoo is only a threat if it is Scarf Mienfoo. Pivot Mienfoo is fine against this team, so I'll talk about Scarf. Scarf can come in on something such as Staryu and can one shot every mon on my team bar Timburr. You want to play around the Foo by chipping it down a bit and revenge killing it with Grookey.

C170B215-5C2D-44F4-9ADE-1F2C1A4B6570.gif

Staryu has coverage that can threaten my entire team, making nothing a safe switch in. It can also spin the hazards away. You mainly have to deal with it by using Grookey and Scarf Mudbray after chip, but those two can't safely switch into Ice Beam.

5F5D8D77-D9DA-40E0-B1C3-E61170602430.gif

It's mainly Sash Abra that's annoying, because if you let Dwebble go early, you don't have any Multi Hit moves to deal with Sash, often leading to a Sacrifice needing to be made. It's also immune to hazards unless running the Uncommon Inner Focus set.

Well, that's all I have for right now. Until the next RMT Post, I'll see you later. Hope you enjoyed!

Sidenote: Yes, the mons are named after songs I like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)