Rainfell ~ OU RMT

Hello. Yes its another rain team. Sorry. ;_; My name on Showdown is MagicalMomochuu. I've been using this team for a bit now, and its probably my favorite team I've used. RSE was my favorite metagame, and the general playstyle kinda reminds me of that generation. Its not perfect, and I'll take all the (good) advice you all can offer me. The name of the team comes from Aqua's Keyblade in Birth by Sleep, of course.​
@ Leftovers​
"Rainfell"​
Trait: Drizzle​
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4SpD​
Bold Nature​
- Scald​
- Toxic​
- Perish Song​
- Protect​
Well, I wasn't going to use a Pokemon with Rain Dance to summon Rain, right? Should be obvious enough. Since I'm running the Politoed/Ferrothorn/Tentacruel core I went with the defensive Politoed. I'm not a big fan of the offensive variation with Choice Specs anyway. Scald is necessary to pass those burns. Toxic is for the Bulky Waters like Jellicent that try to switch in on a Scald only to have their turns numbered. Perish Song is great for Baton Pass chains, or something that has set up that I don't think any of my Pokemon can take on (Dragon Dancers, Swords Dancers, or any strong physical Pokemon that I won't be able to Burn in time with Scald.​
@ Chesto Berry​
"Brightcrest"​
Trait: Iron Barbs​
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef​
Sassy Nature​
IVs: 0 Spd​
- Power Whip​
- Gyro Ball​
- Spikes​
- Rest​
My spiker. I decided to go with the Rest variation since I'll oftentimes lead with Ferrothorn, and some leads can be harsh on it. Ferrothorn also forces a lot of Pokemon out, giving it perfect chances to Rest and get rid of that burn/fully recover. EVs are standard, as is the moveset. Ferrothorn is important, so I can tank Thunderbolts and etc.​
@ Focus Sash​
"Destiny's Embrace"​
Trait: Arena Trap​
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk​
Naive Nature​
- Earthquake​
- Stealth Rock​
- Reversal​
- Stone Edge​
I nicknamed Dugtrio "Destiny's Embrace" because once this thing comes in, you're not getting out. I use this of course to kill Ninetails and Tyranitar, among other problems like Jirachi. If I can catch someone on a Specs Electric type move, I'll set up Stealth Rock before killing them. I gave it a Naive nature so that it always goes to 1 HP when hit with a special move. Anyone that has used Dugtrio knows the feeling of it living with like 80 HP, then you can't use a full power Reversal at all.​
@ Black Sludge​
"Mysterious Abyss"​
Trait: Rain Dish​
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd​
Timid Nature​
- Scald​
- Rapid Spin​
- Substitute​
- Toxic​
Standard Timid Tentacruel. With this I can get the jump on a few notable Pokemon like Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados, and Breloom. I also needed a Spinner, since my main sweepers Tornadus and Salamence hate Stealth Rock. Its special bulk is also helpful, and it can absorb Toxic Spikes, not like my team cares about that anyway. Speaking of which, I opted for Toxic instead of Toxic Spikes because on some Pokemon I'd rather not have them get an automatic level 1 poison if I only manage to get 1 layer up, because I can't burn them if they get it.​
@ Choice Specs​
"Stormfall"​
Trait: Prankster​
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk​
Timid Nature​
- Hurricane​
- U-turn​
- Focus Blast​
- Sleep Talk​
This thing is seriously way too fun to use. The feeling of having rain out and intentionally letting this thing go to sleep on a Breloom, Amoongus, or Smeargle and hitting them with a Prankster Sleep Talk Hurricane is probably the best thing in Pokemon. It also cleans up extremely well if I manage to win the weather war, which is really easy in most cases with Dugtrio. My only complaint about it is that its really underwhelming outside of rain. I have to either rely on a weakened accuracy Hurricane, a weak U-Turn on a Pokemon with Timid, or a low accuracy Focus Blast. If I do manage to keep Rain up, and I have a layer of Spikes or two along with Stealth Rock, the game might as well be over. EVs are standard.

@ Choice Scarf​
"Diamond Dust"​
Trait: Teravolt​
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk​
Jolly Nature​
- Outrage​
- Dragon Claw​
- Fusion Bolt​
- Ice Beam​
The newest addition to my team. The raw power this Pokemon has is amazing. It also helps me beat Thundurus-T, which my team previously had trouble with. People give Terravolt a lot of crap but I find this ability really useful. It goes through Multiscale, Sturdy, Volt Absorb, etc. Its pretty useful for what Kyurem wants to accomplish. Even with a Jolly nature, Ice Beam still OHKOs Landorus-T which is great. Everything else is pretty much the norm.​
Code:
Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Protect
Ferrothorn (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Rest
Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Substitute
- Toxic
Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Naive Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Reversal
- Rock Tomb
Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
Replays of the team being played:​
Thank you for reading. I look forward to your criticism. Please let me know what I can do to improve my team.​

I'm a sucker for rain teams; the only thing I see questionable in there is the Salamence (gut feeling)
How did this team fare in battles ?

It does fine in battles. I win a lot more with this team than any other team I've used.

And yeah I'm probably going to replace Salamence really soon, I just don't know what to replace it with.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Hey Momochuu, very solid rain team you have here, I love the use of ChestoResto Ferrothorn so props for that! I do have a couple small suggestions however that should really help this team out.

First of all, on your Dugtrio, I recommend that you switch to Stone Edge like you said. Also, I would recommend using 0 IV's in Defense and Sp Defense as well as 21 IV's in HP. This allows you to have as low defenses as possible while also giving you 201 HP, meaning you will be brought down to 1% HP from 2 seismic tosses so you will be able to beat Blissey and Chansey one on one which is nice.

In your last slot where Salamence is I think a change could help you as well. I think Keldeo would be a good fit as Secret Sword hits from the Physical side and Rain-Boosted Hydro Pump is always nice, but you did say you tried it already so I will suggest something else. Scarf Kyurem-B. Kyurem-B, while slower than Salamence and most other dragons, is much bulkier, is not weak to ice type moves, and hits like an absolute truck from both sides of the spectrum. Since Ferrothorn can handle faster dragons pretty well anyways, and Breloom and Scizor aren't threats to your team, I think it will be a very good fit.
You can use this set:
Kyurem-B @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature 252 att/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
Outrage
Dragon Claw
Fusion Bolt
Ice Beam

Hopefully my suggestions helped! Let me know how it works and good luck with the team!

Hey Momochuu, very solid rain team you have here, I love the use of ChestoResto Ferrothorn so props for that! I do have a couple small suggestions however that should really help this team out.

Thank you for the rate. I actually did have those IVs for Dugtrio. I just forgot to put it haha. I'm going to try out Kyurem-B, I had that idea in mind a while back but never got around to trying it. I'll let you know how it goes.

So, I've been trying Kyurem-B instead of Salamence and the results are amazing. This thing has won me so many matches I'm surprised it took me so long to try it out. This is definitely the Pokemon I was looking for. I also put Stone Edge on my Dugtrio and that's been a great change too. Gonna edit the first post with the changes, along with a replay of the team.

Your team has a huge weakness to Thundurus-T. The best pokemon I see for substituting would be Dugtrio, Kyurem-B checks sun pretty hard, so trapping Ninetales shouldn't be a huge concern, some run Air Balloon anyways. Anyways, I recommend you replace Dugtrio with Mamoswine. I know it doesn't help with Jirachi any, but Scarf versions still kill Dugtrio in 2 flinches, and you have Ferrothorn to wall the crap out of it. If CM versions become too annoying, I'd just replace Rest with Leech Seed, or Power Whip/Gyro Ball with Bulldoze. The reason why I suggest Mamoswine is it outspeeds most Ninetales, because almost everyone uses a Calm set now with maximum bulk that hits 240 Speed to beat Adamant Breloom. Thus, Mamoswine can just kill most... it also Smashes Venu... and almost all sun teams bar ones with Bulky Scizor. It destroys Tyranitar, EQ OHKOs, it's also a more reliable Stealth Rockers than Dugtrio. Dugtrio absolutely needs sash, so I can see it being hard to get up rocks. FINALLY, (lol sorry), it can chip Alakazam's Sash with Ice Shard, and smash Dragonite, whom both do work to your team.

This is the set I advise for Mamoswine.

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard

You could also use a Focus Sash, and Endeavor over Icicle Spear, but you really need to make sure you have Mamo alive for Thundurus-T, so I don't know if leading with it would be a great idea.

Overall, I like your team, and I hope this helps. :)

Your team has a huge weakness to Thundurus-T. The best pokemon I see for substituting would be Dugtrio, Kyurem-B checks sun pretty hard, so trapping Ninetales shouldn't be a huge concern, some run Air Balloon anyways. Anyways, I recommend you replace Dugtrio with Mamoswine. I know it doesn't help with Jirachi any, but Scarf versions still kill Dugtrio in 2 flinches, and you have Ferrothorn to wall the crap out of it. If CM versions become too annoying, I'd just replace Rest with Leech Seed, or Power Whip/Gyro Ball with Bulldoze. The reason why I suggest Mamoswine is it outspeeds most Ninetales, because almost everyone uses a Calm set now with maximum bulk that hits 240 Speed to beat Adamant Breloom. Thus, Mamoswine can just kill most... it also Smashes Venu... and almost all sun teams bar ones with Bulky Scizor. It destroys Tyranitar, EQ OHKOs, it's also a more reliable Stealth Rockers than Dugtrio. Dugtrio absolutely needs sash, so I can see it being hard to get up rocks. FINALLY, (lol sorry), it can chip Alakazam's Sash with Ice Shard, and smash Dragonite, whom both do work to your team.

This is the set I advise for Mamoswine.

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard

You could also use a Focus Sash, and Endeavor over Icicle Spear, but you really need to make sure you have Mamo alive for Thundurus-T, so I don't know if leading with it would be a great idea.

Overall, I like your team, and I hope this helps. :)

Thank you for the rate.

Honestly, I don't know how many games Dugtrio has won for me. I really feel like it is one of the most important Pokemon in this metagame. Trapping and killing almost every weather starter and some big threats to my Hurricane sweep like Heatran and Magnezone is such a big deal. There's also been a ton of Pokemon that have died to it from Dugtrio tanking the hit with its Sash and hitting back and killing it. I'll try out Mamoswine, because it seems good to have a more "stable" Pokemon than Dugtrio.

Also, I'm not really concerned with Dragonite that much. Kyurem-B absolutely destroys it in multiple ways.

But yeah, I will agree that Thundurus-T is a big problem for this team. I feel like I can fight the non-scarved ones just fine with Kyurem-B, but the Scarf variation is tough.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
Balanced Rain is a solid and excellent playstyle, and this team is a very good example of it. I see one possible threat that could do quite a bit of damage to your team: Swords Dance Acrobatics Scizor. It runs Bullet Punch / Swords Dance / Acrobatics / Superpower with a Flying Gem, and it can OHKO all your team after Swords Dance if both Politoed is weakened in the slightest and Dugrtrio's Sash is broken, which is entirely possible if the Scizor user has a weather starter. In addition, Scizor loves setting up on your variant of Ferrothorn. As your team really functions together well, I'm not suggesting a Pokemon change, but I would alter Ferrothorn's set a little bit. Use the Same Evs, but change Rest for Protect and Gyro Ball for Leech Seed , as well as changing the Chesto Berry to Leftovers. This helps to prevent Ferrothorn from being set-up bait. In addition, if Scizor sets up unscathed, Tentacruel will take a fuckton from Acrobatics, so if Politoed is low on health, it might be best to sac that to waste the Flying gem. This is a great team, good luck!

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I got the request!

Looking at this team, it's very solid and there really isn't anything you need to change. It utilizes a really standard core, and yet, if you can avoid RNG abuse you should be able to play around most of the OU metagame.

However, the combination of Rotom-W and SD Acrobatics Scizor cleans your team no matter what you do. So I suggest you drop ChestoResto Ferrothorn for Protect Leech Seed instead since the only thing Scizor will try to set up on without risking scald burn is Ferrothorn, and getting the leech makes VoltTurn cores easier to stall out (which is something your team really needs as your only answer to VoltTurn are hazards and most VoltTurn teams can put pressure on Ferro.)

Lastly, Dragon Claw on Scarf KyuB is really repetitive imo. I'd try using Zen Headbutt for more overall coverage.

Apart from that, this is very solid. Good job!

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
Solid team! I remember a team made by Valentine back in the Torn-T era that looks really similar to this one.

I love the combo of Torn+Duggy, everything about your team looks pretty solid except for Kyurem-B, I think a Scarfed Jirachi would be a much better fit. ScarfRachi is commonly checked by things like Heatran and other Rachi's, which get U-Turned on and then you can go into Duggy to trap them. Rachi also gives you a switch into other Tornadus, which rips you apart currently. Rachi also alleviates some pressure off Ferrothorn to check Lati@s, Kyurem, etc. The reason you put Kyurem-B on was to check Thund-T, Rachi does this too (maybe even better than Kyurem-B, since it won't die to Focus Blast!).

I also support Shurt's changes regarding Ferrothorn.

I got the request!
Balanced Rain is a solid and excellent playstyle, and this team is a very good example of it.

Thanks for the rates!

I've been trying out Leech Seed/Protect on Ferrothorn and its going okay I suppose. I do miss Gyro Balling Pokemon like Espeon on the switch though.

I've tried out Jirachi and I'm not a big fan of it. I really need that extra instant power that Kyurem-B brings. I really do think I need another powerful steel type though. Without Rest, Ferrothorn just gets bombed by the constant Outrages and Draco Meteors it has to tank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)