Probopass (Analysis) (QC 3/3) (GP 3/3)

Topic Title: Level 2 Probopass

[Overview]

<p>Probopass is one of the best utilizers of the FEAR strategy. It possesses unique traits over other FEAR users such as Aron, such as the ability to retain Sturdy even if Stealth Rock is up, which enables it to pull off its strategy with greater effect. When Probopass gets in safely, it is a terror to stop, although there are certain Pokemon in OU that can still shut it down, provided they get a chance. Steel-types, Leech Seed, multi-hit moves like Bullet Seed, hail, and burn status all threaten to break Sturdy. Quick hazards from the many Custap leads, such as Skarmory, Forretress, and the rarely seen Crustle, are also a pain to Probopass, as enough hazards down will break Study and nullify its strategy. In addition, Probopass requires a large amount of team support to be used effectively, a factor that means it's often overlooked by many batters in favor of something more reliable.</p>

[SET]
name: Pain Split (Level 2)
move 1: Pain Split
move 2: Protect
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Magic Coat / Taunt
item: Leftovers
ability: Sturdy
nature: Bold
evs: 252 Spe
ivs: 0 HP

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the only reason Probopass should be used in OU. The set's concept is simple: Sturdy keeps Probopass alive so it can use Pain Split, which heals it and drains the opponent's health. Pain Split should be used sparingly when the opponent is low on health, as they will need to have at least 26 HP left to keep Probopass alive. Protect recovers the damage taken from Stealth Rock or a layer of Spikes, scouts for dangerous attacks, and stacks up sandstorm or poison damage. Toxic hinders those that try to utilize healing moves, and Magic Coat bounces back moves such as Taunt and Spore. Alternatively, Taunt can be used to prevent Probopass from becoming setup bait. Aron is Probopass's main competition, as it works fast and well. Probopass's ability to switch into hazards, and its access to Magic Coat and Taunt are its advantages over Aron. It should also be noted that when using Probopass, one mistake will render him useless, so when in doubt, scout with Protect.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Berry Juice can ease prediction and gives Probopass a free turn to do something potentially useful like setting up Stealth Rock, but the ability to switch into a layer of hazards will be sorely missed. Having sandstorm active is a must, so Tyranitar or Hippowdon are needed partners. Toxic Spikes users, such as Forretress and Tentacruel, help provide residual damage. Furthermore, they can provide Rapid Spin support, which isn't required but definitely recommended, as too many layers of Spikes pushes Probopass over the edge. Probopass can switch into two layers of hazards by using Protect twice in a row, but this strategy only works 50% of the time.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Probopass has very few other options as FEAR is his only set that isn't severely outclassed. He could function as a tank, but his atrocious typing renders him weak to the omnipresent Earthquake and Close Combat, and there a myriad of other Pokemon that are better for this role. Probopass can also function as a trapper, but is almost always outclassed by Magnezone, unless you want to use Probopass's access to Magic Coat or Taunt.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Probopass can't finish off Steel-types as he has no way of dealing residual damage to them. Grounded Rock- and Ground-types can be dealt with, but only via Toxic Spikes or Toxic. Probopass also fears Pokemon with status moves, multi-hit moves, negative priority moves, Leech Seed, Substitute, and abilities like Mold Breaker. Any of these will render Sturdy worthless, making Probopass as good as gone. Changing the weather negates finishing damage, but Probopass can still whittle away at your Pokemon's HP. Flinches and hail are also very troublesome. Most teams already have a check to Probopass, such as Jirachi, Kyurem-B, Gengar with Substitute, Ferrothorn with Leech Seed, or Breloom with Bullet Seed, so all you'll need to do is keep them alive.</p>

Overview:

• Mostly outclassed as a Pokemon except for its FEAR set
  • Unique move pool and Sturdy create a good niche

[Set]
name: Level 2 FEAR
Why this set deserves to be on-site:

• Can stall out (with sandstorm or toxic/toxic spikes) both offensive and defensive Pokemon
  • Probopass survives an attack with Sturdy, then uses Pain Split to half the opponent's HP until residual damage finishes them
  • Protect is to recover entry hazard damage to maintain Sturdy
  • Toxic is to hit Pokemon using Recover
  • Magic Coat protects Probopass from Taunt and Status
Additional Comments:

• Leftovers is so Probopass can switch into Stealth Rock by protecting the next turn
  • Berry Juice is for a Free Turn to set up Stealth Rock, a one time free switch in if no hazards are present, or cushion a badly predicted Magic Coat
  • Probopass is different from Level 1 Aron because of his ability to switch in to entry hazards and does not need the opponent to have as much HP. However, Aron does his job quicker, allowing for less chance of secondary effects.
  • Earth Power could be used for enemy Level 1 Probopass and Level 1 Aron
  • Berry Juice allows for one misprediction or a free switch in
Teammates & Counters:

• A Sandstream user or Toxic Spikes can help finish of the Opponent
  • A Rapid Spin user helps remove spikes from the field
  • Status, Hail, flinch, and Substitute Counter
Checks and Counters:

• Status
  • Hail
  • Flinch
  • Spikes (One layer without Stealth Rocks is acceptable)
  • Substitute Users
  • Non-Sandstorm weather (especially Hail)
  • Lower Priority damaging moves
  • Probopass can maim but not finish Steel Types, non-grounded Rock/Ground types, and Magic Guard users.
Other Options:

• Maybe Stealth Rock, Block, Taunt, Gravity, or Sandstorm in the fourth slot if using Berry Juice?
  • Earth Power for other Level Ones
  • Overall there really is little change one can do on a FEAR set, because Probopass is helplessly outclassed if taking another role.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since Probopass doesn't have an OU analysis, you need to write an entire Probopass analysis, not just a set analysis. This means Probopass needs an Overview, Other Options, and Checks & Counters section.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Edit that into your first post, don't post it here

Overview->Your first post->Other Options and Checks and Counters.

OO should be in skeleton form, too

Also, it's Magic Coat, not Magic Guard.

Finally, I'm pretty sure you need to talk about Evs and a nature, even if they are irrelevant. You can say that the evs and nature are irrelevant in the Set Comments/Additional comments, though.

Edit: Yo, Kloms. OO stands for other options, I forgot to say tha, but it needs to be in bullet point form as well.

I've never encountered an analysis like this where it doesn't matter, so I'm not entirely sure what to say, but generally you need to talk about them. TBH a quality control member needs to discuss this but I'd just stick on something.

Thanks for the comments you two. Also, whats OO, and what should I say about the nature/EVs they don't do anything

This should also help. Basically you should have an outline in bullet point form with all the information you plan on using at this point, divided up into the sections Overview, Set, Additional Comments, Other Options, and Checks and Counters. This should be formatted like the sample in the post linked to by Pkn range6, but with bullet points instead of paragraphs. The set itself should also be formatted like it is in that link.

tehy

Banned deucer.
All right, so I had a couple of brainwaves.

Firstly, max speed with a +speed nature to outspeed other level 1 Pokemon, and because if the standard lacked speed people would run speed to beat it.

0 HP IV to do as much damage as possible with Pain Split, 0 HP evs too Of course.

Max Defenses, similarly, for level 1 pokemon.

This all barely means anything but it's a rationale and it might come in handy one day.

Also, an Aron analysis is in the works, so maybe get in touch with the writer of that (Jukain) and ask him about it, or just look over his thread and replies once he posts it.

All right, so I had a couple of brainwaves.

Firstly, max speed with a +speed nature to outspeed other level 1 Pokemon, and because if the standard lacked speed people would run speed to beat it.

0 HP IV to do as much damage as possible with Pain Split, 0 HP evs too Of course.

Max Defenses, similarly, for level 1 pokemon.

This all barely means anything but it's a rationale and it might come in handy one day.

Also, an Aron analysis is in the works, so maybe get in touch with the writer of that (Jukain) and ask him about it, or just look over his thread and replies once he posts it.
I will add it to the analysis. I will also contact Jukain.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
o.k, I don't wish to offend here, but smogon takes its analysis very seriously, and currently I have serious doubts as to how well written this analysis would be (even if it got approved). Considering you have a tendency to double post, as well as an unfamiliarity with the C&C process, leads me to want to seriously consider an analysis re-assignment so someone better qualified.

I'll get a C&C mod to look at this, if they feel comfortable with this going forward, then you have a green light and QC can take a good in depth look at this, but if they have doubts as to how well written this will be, then it might be shifted to a different author.

o.k, I don't wish to offend here, but smogon takes its analysis very seriously, and currently I have serious doubts as to how well written this analysis would be (even if it got approved). Considering you have a tendency to double post, as well as an unfamiliarity with the C&C process, leads me to want to seriously consider an analysis re-assignment so someone better qualified.

I'll get a C&C mod to look at this, if they feel comfortable with this going forward, then you have a green light and QC can take a good in depth look at this, but if they have doubts as to how well written this will be, then it might be shifted to a different author.
I understand. I am by no means an expert, in fact this thread where my first posts on Smogon, but I would like to help as much as I can. If the analysis is given to someone else would I still be able to contribute? And if my analysis is to be given to someone else (which probably would improve the quality) and ends up on site I would highly appreciate it if I was given credit for the original idea.

EDIT: I realized that my post did make me look like more of a newbie than I am. While those were my first posts on Smogon, I have been battling on Pokemon Showdown! for over a year and half. I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I am also not a total newbie.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Oh yeah, that reminds me.

Kloms, if you ever have to double post, it's either in a very special situation (There are certain threads that won't allow you to edit, those are very rare) or you should apologise for doing it. In general, you might want to just edit it into your post.

Creating titles for your individual posts is rarely done and it kind of sticks out, so I wouldn't do that. Just write whatever you were going to write.

Finally, delete that post with 'what I forgot', there's nothing left in that post anyhow. In the future if a post really serves no purpose just delete it.

Edit: No, it is not, since you didn't post twice in a row. Also, you posted in reply to someone, which is pretty much the opposite of a double post.

Oh yeah, that reminds me.

Kloms, if you ever have to double post, it's either in a very special situation (There are certain threads that won't allow you to edit, those are very rare) or you should apologise for doing it. In general, you might want to just edit it into your post.

Creating titles for your individual posts is rarely done and it kind of sticks out, so I wouldn't do that. Just write whatever you were going to write.

Finally, delete that post with 'what I forgot', there's nothing left in that post anyhow. In the future if a post really serves no purpose just delete it.
Thank you tehy. I didn't realize until now that you could delete comments. I will try not to double post anymore (is this a double post?).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just some quick fixes: Move Protect to the second slot, Toxic alone in the third, and slash in the last slot Magic Coat and Taunt. Everything else goes to AC. I will come back later for a more detailed post.

Move Berry Juice to AC. It is nice to save you from a misprediction once, but being able to heal SR damage after Protect is very important.

Remove any EVs from the defenses, unless i am missing something. I don't think they are needed, and you want the opponent to always hit you as hard as possible to always heal back to full life. I know that the EVs won't probably prevent you from fully healing with Pain Split, but they are just unnecessary. Idk about Speed, but i guess max it for opposing Taunt Probopass?

Please explain better Probopass's use in the ''Why this set deserves to be on-site:'' section and explain better what each move on the main set does.

Reword this: Probopass is better the Level 1 Aron because it has Magic Coat, is not as weather reliant, can switch in with Stealth Rock/Set up Stealth Rock and can harm Ghost Types. Say that those are the differences it has over Aron, and omit the part where you say Probopass is better.

Finally, please remove all the irrelevant info from the analysis (Other FEAR Pokemon in check and counters, Earth Power from the main set) and try to be more formal in general.

I believe he means that you may be giving Probopass more praise than it actually deserves.

"Wiping [entire] teams off the map" is probably an overestimation of the guy's ability to perform in this metagame. When you get to writing up the Overview, I'd be careful not to "oversell" Probopass; it's good at what it's supposed to do but it's not a good fit for everybody.

tehy

Banned deucer.
except his overview never says that it's a good fit for everyone

and it CAN wipe entire teams off the map.

if you want him to maybe say it needs more support that's fine and maybe a good point, but at least state that outright.

fake out mienshao takes care of probopass, first fake out then hi jump kick to finish it off.If i was to use probopass i would use protect then stealth rocks cuz mienshao might go for the u-turn or miss hi jump kick but probopass is good in his own way.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
fake out mienshao takes care of probopass, first fake out then hi jump kick to finish it off.If i was to use probopass i would use protect then stealth rocks cuz mienshao might go for the u-turn or miss hi jump kick but probopass is good in his own way.
Protect is already in the moeveset, and the flinching strategy is mentioned in C&C as well. This Probopass should never use Stealth Rock as it's utilizing the F.E.A.R strategy.

To the writer, I don't know if you intended on fixing the format, but it's completely wrong right now. Take a look at some uploaded analyses to see the proper format of writing. Here's one of your major mistakes: you use [p] and [/p], when it's <p> and </p>. This is because <p> and </p> are HTML tags, while [p] and [/p] are non-existent BB Codes, they're both completely different things. For the set itself, this is how it should look:

name: Level 2 FEAR

Hope I helped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)