Project Player of the Week - 5Dots

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ZU_Player_Of_The_Week.png

Approved by 5gen & S1nn0hC0nfirm3d | Amazing Art by Albatross
(Interview Date: 3rd of September 2021)
Hello everybody and welcome back to "ZU Player of the Week"!, the project where some of ZU's finest community members are interviewed about their Pokemon and personal lives. I am grateful that I have already had the chance to interview so many amazing ZU players and I hope that you'll continue to enjoy these as much as I do. This time around Ditto and I are going to go to the beach to have a nice relaxing vacation...

hattrem.png

It's lovely weather today, nice to finally have a break from all those interviews. Wouldn't you agree Ditto?

ditto.png

*smirks*
Ditto used Transform!
Ditto transformed into Kingler!

kingler.png

*ko ki ko ki*

kingler.gif

5Dots!!
Favourite Pokemon: :kingler: and then :regigigas:
(ZU Room Voice, Malamar Expert, Ladder Hero, SU council)
hattrem.png

Hey there 5dots, how are you doing today?

kingler.png

I’m feeling chill today, finished some sketching this morning.

hattrem.png

That's good to hear.
To get things started, could you tell us more about yourself in general?

kingler.png

I’ve played chess for over ten years, competed in a lot of tournaments, and I like to draw a lot. I also enjoy skiing, running, drawing, and theatre. Also currently studying computer science and history right now.

hattrem.png

Oh wow, sounds like your quite a busy person with quite a diverse amount of hobbies.
We'll definitely be digging into some of those topics later cause it all sounds super interesting.
How did you first get your start on PS/Smogon and then later ZU?

kingler.png

I started watching FSG videos around last year and started looking at PU/ZU analyses at SM; I started fooling around PU to see what mons were left and didn’t like the power creep there. I went down to ZU and found the tier to be a lot more fun and laddered around a lot before the omastar ban and lurked around discord for a while.

hattrem.png

I see, you mentioned that you've played chess for a very long time, do you think there are comparisons between chess and Pokemon seeing as both are competitive strategic games? Has either had any influence on your performance in the other?

kingler.png

Chess and Pokemon have some similarities, as both require a player to predict the opponent’s plan and build their teammates around it. Both games have archetypes developed (hyper offense/defensive builds). Pokemon has a lot more variables to play around with (status stats hazards) and you can make a rough assumption from team preview. Chess doesn’t have team preview and you have to guess what your opponent’s going to do throughout the match.
A lot of concepts (sacrificing, current state of pieces/pokemon) feel similar and I like meshing the ideas together.

hattrem.png

Oh wow, that's pretty interesting that you take ideas from both in order to improve in the other.
Do you mind sharing whereabouts your ELO is for Chess, and how successful you've been at tournaments over the years?

kingler.png

Current elo is 1800; won a lot of local tournaments and I’m doing okay at regionals. Pandemic’s killing everything but I’m looking to compete again soon

hattrem.png

Ah ye I can imagine that does suck a lot for tours.
That's pretty impressive though, wishing you the best of luck when they start up again!

kingler.png

Thanks

hattrem.png

Since you also mentioned archetypes earlier, do you have any favourite openings / strategies that you generally like to employ in Chess? Given how you've experimented a lot of nicher Pokemon in ZU, I wouldn't be surprised if you had an arsenal of gimmicks as well in chess!

kingler.png

I actually play quietly in chess - Usually I go with slow openings like Hungarian or the King’s Indian and wait until the endgame to overwhelm the foe. When I’m about to lose I focus on promoting my pawns or repeatedly attack the opponent’s king in hopes i can repeat the position a lot and ruin focus. Last resort i wait for stalemate or try to burn time on the opponent’s clock.

hattrem.png

Oh neat. The "stall?" of chess except infinitely less painful to play against, i think.

kingler.png

Stall chess luckily does not have a rook that regains hp each time it moves to the back rank.

hattrem.png

haha that's a pretty funny analogy to make
That was super insightful, back to mons now; what are your thoughts on the current metagame? What are some of the Pokemon you have enjoyed using since the Silvally-Ground ban?

kingler.png

The meta is quite settled. Rotom-F and Alcremie are pretty frightening to face if given a free turn, but I feel there’s enough consistent checks to prevent them from being too problematic. I’ve started using more HO and balance lately without A+ mons and I’ve been able to get relatively smooth results. TR is also fun against speed-reliant and sun teams popping up. Fez just goes bonkers against teams w/o flying resists. Resttalk Perrserker is a fun set for balance.

hattrem.png

Hmm that's interesting to hear. A lot of fun stuff you've been trying out as well which is always very cool.
You also play a bit of ORAS if im not mistaken, is that mainly because of Regigigas? Do you enjoy it more or less than current gen?

kingler.png

Regi being good in ORAS is one of the main factors; also like how uncommon pursuit is. Rain, sun, and TR being viable also makes the meta fun and diverse to play. I like the volatility and emphasis on balance gen 8 brings a bit better, though gen 6 is also really fun as well for how many viable NFEs and LC mons there are.

hattrem.png

Ah ye, there's definitely been a lot of power creep over the generations so the pool of mons are vastly different but i'm glad you enjoy both of them.

kingler.png

RBY ZU when

hattrem.png

I wonder what would even be legal in that

kingler.png

All the psychics will be gone - at least machamp will finally be able to put 55 special to use

hattrem.png

wild
How has ZUPL been for you so far? Hoping you get some game time at soon!

kingler.png

It’s been quite eventful: (almost) got to see 100% shedinja win rate, then got to see ivy and unfezant getting spotlight too. Also got to see some eye-opening sets like shuca berry skuntank and sun being seen. Balance and stall being common is kind of expected, but skunk and frosttom being common should disrupt stuff soon

hattrem.png

That's good to hear you've been enjoying everything, and ye it's a pretty good time for innovation and building.
I've reused this question a ton but it's always interesting to gauge opinions, could you order the ZUPL teams from your favourite to least favourite?

kingler.png

1. Morpek a boos 2. Fiery flamencos 3. Lucky stunkys 4. Pay day Persians 5. Humilau hakomo os 6. Butterfrees

hattrem.png

Good job Toto , everyone seems to like your team name

kingler.png

I auditioned for the cheerleader role and ended up getting kicked out of tryouts

hattrem.png

Rip that sucks to hear, probably happy to have you again if persians are out before playoffs and we're still in :P
Moving away from mons, another one of your hobbies is drawing. What kinda things do you like to/tend to draw and what were you sketching earlier?

kingler.png

Usually i like sketching pokemon, but i also draw stuff on nature and food.
I sketched a drawing on frosttom.

hattrem.png

ooo, definitely would be interested to see some of these drawings if you feel like sharing them.

kingler.png

hattrem.png

Wait frostom was really SU? before all of this.
Nice drawing!
It'll definitely be rising to proper ZU status in no time.

kingler.png

Ye it’s an absolute monster there.
Should’ve suspected that instead of gurdurr and dark vally.

hattrem.png

lmao I had no idea that those two were in SU either tbh.
they're all just really good mons in ZU so it's surprising but ig ladder is weird.
You also mentioned some sports you enjoy, running and skiing. Where do you do those?

kingler.png

I usually travel to Canada to ski; running I usually compete in my school team around the neighborhood.
I sometimes run at local 5ks on weekends.

hattrem.png

Ah I see, that all sounds pretty fun, how often do you ski? How well do you do normally in running?

kingler.png

I often ski at the winter when my school’s at break - usually I ski near Canada and like being at the top of the mountain. My distance at 5Ks is ~30 minutes.

hattrem.png

Ah that's pretty cool
For my wackier question, if you've ever read of seen Harry Potter before you know in the Philosopher's Stone, the main characters end up controlling chess pieces, while on top of them. If you were tasked to beat an anonymous enemy, who would you choose to take control of each piece?

kingler.png

I’d put SBPC for the king, 5Gen for the queen, OBB and Landon for the Rooks, Hitmonstars, POAT, beauts, and 275P for the bishops, me and lockjaw as the knights.
Pawns can be me and all my strategies

hattrem.png

lmao nice, the persians squad!
Do you have a team that you mind sharing with us?

kingler.png

:unfezant: :rhydon: :sawk: :silvally-poison:(poison):gourgeist:(small) :rotom-fan:
I was using this for reqs - Unfezant + gourg provides the wall breaking power, Rhydon provides the role of a tank/rocker, sawk provides speed control, silvally poison provides pivoting, rotom-fan polishes the voltturn core and ensures the team isn’t too weak to physical walls .

hattrem.png

looks fun, unfezant definitely been rising up recently as a niche breaker so it'll be interesting to see whether this continues!
Would you like to shout out anyone or give some final remarks?

kingler.png

Thank you for taking the time to arrange the interviews, and thanks to all the ZU staff and playerbase that’s made ZU such a fun experience!

Feel free to ask to 5Dots any questions you want!

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
1) who's your favorite chess player? also, who do u think is the GOAT of chess?
2) what’s the hardest chess piece to use/take advantage of for you? easiest?
3) how long have you been interested in art/drawing?
4) unfezant male or female?

5Dots

Metronome
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
1) who's your favorite chess player? also, who do u think is the GOAT of chess?
2) what’s the hardest chess piece to use/take advantage of for you? easiest?
3) how long have you been interested in art/drawing?
4) unfezant male or female?
1. Favorite chess player is a tie between Ding Liren and Hikaru Nakumura. GOAT is Garry Kasparov.
2. hardest piece to utilize is definitely the Knight since it requires more support than other pieces to make use of outposts. It’s inconsistent in some games and sometimes gets walled before it can be an annoying presence. Definitely scary if it gets an important center square under control.
3. I’ve been drawing since 9 years ago, got my first sketchbook three years ago.
4. I like the Male Unfezant better

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
play me in bullet chess gdi

Do you consider yourself poggers or sus?

What's your least favorite ZU mon to go up against in games?

RBY ZU is a huge motivation for me to help develop RBY NU followed by the non-existent RBY PU. At this rate, it may honestly take over a couple years. It sucks, I know... What gen1 mons are you expecting or hoping to make it all the way down to ZU? Of course there's shitmonchan which will be even awful there, but from what I see in PU the likely meta there would be: Nidoqueen / Gravler / slowpoke / abra / seaking / gastly / wiggly / vileplume / butterfree / arcanine centralized. That leaves flareon / magmar / marowak / onix / machamp / magneton / pidgeot / paras as some of the best mons that have a shot at ZU, imo. What do you think will make the cut?

5Dots

Metronome
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
play me in bullet chess gdi

Do you consider yourself poggers or sus?

What's your least favorite ZU mon to go up against in games?

RBY ZU is a huge motivation for me to help develop RBY NU followed by the non-existent RBY PU. At this rate, it may honestly take over a couple years. It sucks, I know... What gen1 mons are you expecting or hoping to make it all the way down to ZU? Of course there's shitmonchan which will be even awful there, but from what I see in PU the likely meta there would be: Nidoqueen / Gravler / slowpoke / abra / seaking / gastly / wiggly / vileplume / butterfree / arcanine centralized. That leaves flareon / magmar / marowak / onix / machamp / magneton / pidgeot / paras as some of the best mons that have a shot at ZU, imo. What do you think will make the cut?
Challenge me, Bo5 on lichess rn

Sus…..

Least favorite SS ZU mon to face is probably Coalossal. That hunk of rocks never shows up when I have two ghost types on my team, but when i don’t pack a spinblocker this thing just goes spinnnnnn…And randomly spreads the burns when i don’t need them ;-;

machamp will probably get picked up at PU since most of the psychics switch in once before champ comes in a second round to hyper beam everything away. Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Meowth, Pidgeot, Clefairy, Hitmonlee, Weezing/Muk, Marowak, Flareon, Staryu, and Parasect come to mind. As for Hitmonchan, it may finally shine when it’s allowed in SSU, where it can happily establish itself as among the best Fighting-types in the tier alongside Mankey and Machop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)