Project Next Best Thing

Did you know that vaporeon is this weeks contestant on Next Best Thing. please put the pitchforks down
:SS/vaporeon:

Vaporeon has quite a movepool to it, one that hasn't been explored much since it dropped, so while I run from an angry mob that formed because of a terrible joke I mentioned, get to cooking and remember SUBMISSIONS WILL REQUIRE AT LEAST ONE REPLAY OR 2-3 RELEVANT CALCS

standard wish protect scald flip turn/haze

EDIT: forgot deadlines, Submissions close sometime Monday afternoon

:ss/vaporeon:

Vaporeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Copycat
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

Hey wanna have fun creating chaos on ladder, well I have the perfect set for you, introducing scarf copycat vaporeon, to talk about the ev spread vaporeon has a solid base 110 special attack stat so we wanna make use of that, but for speed we go 196 with a timid nature letting vap outspeed thunderous catching them off gaurd and letting us invest enough hp to have more than max hp alolan muk, "but why does that matter" I hear you asking, well the NBT madman was just about to explain it, we want more hp than alolan muk cause we want to make sure it dies to copycat final gambit, has the madman gone too far this time, or is feraligatr still his peak of madness, nevertheless I paired this mon on a team with scarf final gambit staraptor and scarf copycat samurott for triple final gambit action, along with espeon to block hazards, vileplume for some of those pesky priority users, and specs noivern to clean up after the final gambit train has left the station: NBT vaporeon triple final gambit (pokepast.es)

Edit: to mention other uses of copycat for those wishing to try it on not final gambit builds fun hater you can make use of copying momentum moves such as uturn or even outspeeding galvantula and putting webs up on their field too!
Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-2121636756-tfha3zavqd4v9ovjo9dmtmalrio7edppw

Last edited:
For years, the Slowbro Administration has been pushing propaganda by paying people in high places to say “Slowbro beats Vaporeon with Psychic Noise” and placing it at B- on Viability Rankings. But, no longer will these falsehoods stand, as I present to you the best (at being cringy) Slowbro lure of NU

Vaporeon @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Flip Turn
- Shadow Ball

With an enormous Special Attack, a Modest Nature, and Choice Specs, Vaporeon can beat many of its former checks like Vileplume and Dragalge. Specifically, Ice Beam OHKOes Flygon, Noivern, and offensive Tsareena while chunking all of Vileplume, Dragalge, Brute Bonnet, and bulky Tsareena. And, the crux of the set: Shadow Ball. It 2HKOes all unsuspecting Slowbro, thinking a Scald is incoming, not letting it set up and take advantage of you. Tera Ghost boosts this to insane levels while helping against Mienshao in a pinch. I put max Speed because of how surprisingly good its Speed is and how it kind of outspeeds everything it needs to and more. You can run Hydro Pump or Alluring Voice over Scald and Flip Turn, respectively, but burns and pivoting are more helpful all around.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Vaporeon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 306-362 (77.6 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vaporeon Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 204-242 (51.7 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tsareena: 292-344 (102.4 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tsareena: 294-346 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 314-370 (88.7 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Brute Bonnet: 194-230 (47.7 - 56.6%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 240-284 (71.8 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Games:
Vapo Clean
Vapo Breaking
Vapo Crippling Slowbro

Last edited:

Vaporeon @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Copycat
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

Hey wanna have fun creating chaos on ladder, well I have the perfect set for you, introducing scarf copycat vaporeon, to talk about the ev spread vaporeon has a solid base 110 special attack stat so we wanna make use of that, but for speed we go 196 with a timid nature letting vap outspeed thunderous catching them off gaurd and letting us invest enough hp to have more than max hp alolan muk, "but why does that matter" I hear you asking, well the NBT madman was just about to explain it, we want more hp than alolan muk cause we want to make sure it dies to copycat final gambit, has the madman gone too far this time, or is feraligatr still his peak of madness, nevertheless I paired this mon on a team with scarf final gambit staraptor and scarf copycat samurott for triple final gambit action, along with espeon to block hazards, vileplume for some of those pesky priority users, and specs noivern to clean up after the final gambit train has left the station: NBT vaporeon triple final gambit (pokepast.es)

Edit: to mention other uses of copycat for those wishing to try it on not final gambit builds fun hater you can make use of copying momentum moves such as uturn or even outspeeding galvantula and putting webs up on their field too!
Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-2121636756-tfha3zavqd4v9ovjo9dmtmalrio7edppw
If this wins, I am reporting to Smogon that there is a conspiracy theory that all the hosts won NBT these past couple of weeks.

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Stored Power

Let me put the claim to this and pray the ladder allows me to setup

Necrozma But Wet / Grassy Seed

:sv/vaporeon:

Vaporeon @ Grassy Seed
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Stored Power
- Wish

The problem with most demon sets (boosting both defenses) is that they eat up your move slots and still want recovery. That either leaves room for only one offensive move -- which causes issues with immunities a lot of the time -- or you are running a draining move to recover your health instead of a more reliable recovery method. Grassy seed gives vape the +1 defense boost and lessens the need to run acid armor on this type of set, boosting stored power and allowing vape to run wish as well as 2 attacks. On top of being a stab move, scald can inflict burns that both whittle the opponent down (in calm mind wars) and weaken physical attackers since we are only getting to +1 on the physical side. This makes vape particularly hard to kill after a calm mind because the physical breakers all fear scald. Calm mind for the boosts, stored power to abuse all the boosts we are getting, and wish to keep ourselves healthy. Tera dark here is pretty essential for slowbro as psychic noise blocks our healing (we are now immune to the dual stab and can set up freely!) Tera poison is another option to block toxic / amuk poison touch but I think the tera to win the 1v1 with slowbro is even more important in this meta. If slowbro leaves NU then I think poison would become the preferred tera. Tera fairy is another option and is nice defensively (fighting resistance is always nice!) and stops dragon tail but currently there isn't much running dragon tail and tera fairy also makes you weaker to magnezone.

Team

Vape just wins turn 2
Vape gets +6 on Bro and kills d tail Rhyp
Pom Pom Showcase (this doesn't show vape but was a fun replay so I thought id include it)

Mienshao Doesn't Revenge Even After Tera
252 Atk Mienshao Close Combat vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Dark Vaporeon: 252-296 (54.3 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Vaporeon Stored Power (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mienshao: 282-332 (104 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Slowbrother Matchup
+6 0 SpA Tera Dark Vaporeon Stored Power (280 BP) vs. +6 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 130-153 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
Zone Matchup
252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Tera Dark Vaporeon: 112-133 (24.1 - 28.6%) -- 98.6% chance to 4HKO
+6 0 SpA Vaporeon Stored Power (280 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 315-371 (91.5 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
AV Reuniclus
+6 0 SpA Vaporeon Stored Power (280 BP) vs. 252 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Reuniclus: 258-304 (60.8 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Tsareena vs Non-Tera'd
252 Atk Tsareena Power Whip vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 242-288 (52.1 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Fake Tears Vaporeon

Vaporeon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpA / 36 Spe
Tera Type: Dark
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Fake Tears
- Ice Beam
- Flip Turn

The base 110 SpA stat is criminally underlooked on Vaporeon and this set uses Vaporeon as a slow offensive tank with a Modest nature, and woth the addition of Fake Tears to micmic Nasty Plot. The fact that Vaporeon has Flip Turn makes Fake Tears even better because it allows Vaporeon to support another teammate that hits on the special side of the spectrum. Otherwise, it can force some additional switch-outs (thanks to the combination of good offensive presence + SpD drops), which is good with hazards support.
Scald + Ice Beam is the combination chosen to deal damage.
Tera Dark allows this Vaporeon to hard counter CM Slowbro with Psyshock + Scald.
H-DB is picked over Leftovers because we want to use Flip Turn as much as possible.
The EVs spread is a buky special offensive one, with 36 reamaining EVs into Spe in order to outspeed other 65 (or below) Spe pokemons with minimal Spe investment.

216+ SpA Vaporeon Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Krookodile: 332-392 (100.3 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (this is the reason we pick 216 SpA EVs)
216+ SpA Vaporeon Scald vs. -6 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 270-318 (74.1 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
216+ SpA Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Vileplume: 204-240 (57.6 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
216+ SpA Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. -6 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 306-360 (71.8 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)