SV LC My First LC Team

This is my first LC team for Gen 9. I've experimented with teambuilding a little bit, but I still struggle with movesets and synergy. The team consists of a dedicated lead of Glimmet, a Maschiff-Ghastly offensive core, Mankey-Magnemite VoltTurn, and Tinkatink. This is my first LC team, so I'd love to hear ways to improve it.

Glimmet @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Level: 5
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Bomb
- Power Gem
- Tera Blast

I chose Glimmet to set up Stealth Rocks and switch in with Toxic Debris on a physical attack. It only lasts a few turns, but it sets up at least one hazard. Sludge Bomb and Power Gem give it offensive potential in case it survives a few turns. Grass Tera Blast handles things such as Quaxly and Barboach, which I've found are used against Glimmet often. I did not give it any HP, Def, or SpD EVs, because I felt it did not need the survivability. I think Glimmet is a really good lead because of its high Speed and Special Attack.

Maschiff @ Eviolite
Ability: Stakeout
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 212 Atk / 36 Def / 188 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Play Rough
- Ice Fang
- Fire Fang

I chose Maschiff as the central focus of the team. I felt Stakeout really helped it deal more damage against the opponent, and I gave it Fire and Ice Fang for coverage. Play Rough handles Fighting types and Crunch gives STAB. Eviolite and some Def/SpD investment gives it the survivability it needs. While I don't Tera it often, a defensive Tera covers its weaknesses to Bug and Fairy. It's part of a core with Gastly, because both cover most of each others weaknesses. I like how, when Stakeout is in effect, it's able to OHKO a lot of Pokemon.

Gastly @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Tera Blast
- Sucker Punch

I use Gastly to force switches, to handle some Psychic, Dark, Steel, or Grass types (such as Girafarig, Sprigatito, and sometimes Pawniard), and to block Rapid Spinners. Life Orb buffs its SpA stat. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb give STAB, and Fighting Tera Blast KOs Pawniards. I think its EV spread is pretty plain, but sometimes plain is good. It gets the job done, and I can give it up in exchange for a safe switch into Mankey or Magnemite late game. I like its high SpA.

Tinkatink (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Tinkatink is something I'm not really sure about. I chose it for type coverage, but it doesn't really serve a defined role on my team. Thunder Wave handles fast sweepers, Protect helps me know what moves my opponent's running. Play Rough is STAB and Knock Off is Knock Off. I gave it an Eviolite to give it more bulk and Defensive EVs help it well.

Mankey @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Mankey is my U-Turner and late-game sweeper. Choice Scarf helps it outspeed everything except other Choice Scarfers. Close Combat is STAB, and Gunk Shot and Earthquake are coverage. Choice Scarf helps it outspeed almost everything. Fighting Tera makes Close Combat very strong. Its EV spread gives it just enough bulk to survive a neutral hit under many conditions. I like Mankey because Mienfoo isn't here yet, and I really appreciate Fighting type's coverage on this team.

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Steel Beam

Magnemite helps with Volt Switch. This is, as far as I can tell, a very standard moveset. I chose Analytic over Sturdy because the opponent's switching means it moves last. Unfortunately, Magnemite's lack of coverage options makes it pretty basic. As with Gastly, it gets the job done. I use Magnemite over other Volt Switch options because I think Magnemite's the most reliable.

Please let me know if there's any issues with the team or any advice/suggestions you have.

Hello! I'm still learning the metagame, too, but I'm willing to do a few tests on the ladder in order to give you a proper rating.
Also, have you already got any battle replays featuring this team?

NotJackewu

Banned deucer.
Your team has a couple issues with EV's.
Your Glimmet is using EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe. But its speed EV's are capped at 196. With those leftover EV's you could invest in some defensive stats:
EVs: 20 Def / 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Your Maschiff has 36 EV's that it could spend on another point in HP, I think you get the idea.

Make sure to use the slider on all the options when you have some EV's left over as 1 point in a certain stat can be huge in this tier.

I like your Maschiff set, but I personally prefer Choice Scarf.
With Stakeout your opponent probably doesnt want to switch and the choice scarf helps you revenge kill.

Rather than Sucker Punch on Gastly I would take Substitute. There are some situations where your Gastly can set up a sub for free, prime example being the less common Foongus but there's a couple others I cant think of from the top of my head. Also you only need 196 EV's on speed and Sp. attack and 76 on SP. Def, which allows you to invest 36 in defense. Make sure to not invest into HP!
With HP below 20 you only take 1 damage from life orb (it does 10% of your hp rounded down).

Tinkatink is incredibly bulky and has one of the best move pools in the game, dont waste a move slot on protect!
I would switch it to stealth rock myself. Yes you already have that on Glimmet, but rapid spinners are popular and your Gastly isnt enough to block the rapid spinners.
I personally like to take more special defense on tinkatink, I would recommend you to do the same. The reason I recommend that is because Tinkatink is a great answer to Gastly, Drifloon and Girafarig. Also, with max investment into speed, you speed tie with the popular Pawniard and Glimmet. This speed tie is nice since you might get of a Thunder wave before they get to do anything!
Tera Grass to tank Ground type moves. Don't recommend using Tera on this pokemon too much, as it's main job is to disrupt the enemy team and die afterwards. Saving tera for something that does damage is usually better.
Tinkatink @ Eviolite
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

I am personally not a fan of Mankey, I think it's job of doing Fighting type damage is already fulfilled by Gastly and everything it wants to do is done better by Rufflet. I understand if you want to keep the mankey though, it does fit this team well.
If you are interested in some alternative for Mankey that fulfill similar roles, here you go! You could also get rid of it altogether as you already have scarf on Magnemite but thats up to your preference.
It has Sheer Force for consistency, if you like Hustle more take that!
Rufflet @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
Rufflet @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
Tera Dark to kill Giraf and take less damage from Sucker Punch(When you trap Pawniard they tend to click Sucker Punch)
Diglett @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 200 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch

Tera Ice helps you oneshot toedscool. People tend to use Toedscool vs Diglett because it can take its Earthquake really well.
Honk Honk (Diglett) @ Focus Sash
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Tera Blast
- Rock Blast

Lastly, Magnemite. This set is pretty standard. I personally like using Tera Fighting with Tera Blast and Magnet Pull, but your team already has enough answers to Pawniard (I think).
If you want to change Magnemite to another mon, I would recommend something that has rapid spin as you currently dont have hazard control. If you dont worry about that too much, thats fine. But with both Mankey and Maschiff being bothered by Hazards I would recommend to atleast put 1 rapid spinner on your team.
Some options:
Toedscool @ Eviolite
Ability: Mycelium Might
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Def / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spore
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
Toedscool @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 Def / 36 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore/Earth Power
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain/Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
Quaxly @ Eviolite
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 76 HP / 76 Atk / 156 SpD / 196 Spe
Careful Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Rapid Spin
- Brave Bird
Your team would benefit from having Toedscool on your team, since it is able to block Spore from your opponent. Not having an option for Spore can get you in trouble.

Bit of a long post with a lot of information. Good luck reading all of it and I hope it helps you with building a team!

Hello! I'm still learning the metagame, too, but I'm willing to do a few tests on the ladder in order to give you a proper rating.
Also, have you already got any battle replays featuring this team?
Howdy! I have a couple replays that I'm able to share. I don't know what you're looking for in terms of what the replays feature, but I tried to get a mix of wins and losses that happened because of the team.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Your team has a couple issues with EV's.
Your Glimmet is using EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe. But its speed EV's are capped at 196. With those leftover EV's you could invest in some defensive stats:
EVs: 20 Def / 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Your Maschiff has 36 EV's that it could spend on another point in HP, I think you get the idea.

Make sure to use the slider on all the options when you have some EV's left over as 1 point in a certain stat can be huge in this tier.

I like your Maschiff set, but I personally prefer Choice Scarf.
With Stakeout your opponent probably doesnt want to switch and the choice scarf helps you revenge kill.

Rather than Sucker Punch on Gastly I would take Substitute. There are some situations where your Gastly can set up a sub for free, prime example being the less common Foongus but there's a couple others I cant think of from the top of my head. Also you only need 196 EV's on speed and Sp. attack and 76 on SP. Def, which allows you to invest 36 in defense. Make sure to not invest into HP!
With HP below 20 you only take 1 damage from life orb (it does 10% of your hp rounded down).

Tinkatink is incredibly bulky and has one of the best move pools in the game, dont waste a move slot on protect!
I would switch it to stealth rock myself. Yes you already have that on Glimmet, but rapid spinners are popular and your Gastly isnt enough to block the rapid spinners.
I personally like to take more special defense on tinkatink, I would recommend you to do the same. The reason I recommend that is because Tinkatink is a great answer to Gastly, Drifloon and Girafarig. Also, with max investment into speed, you speed tie with the popular Pawniard and Glimmet. This speed tie is nice since you might get of a Thunder wave before they get to do anything!
Tera Grass to tank Ground type moves. Don't recommend using Tera on this pokemon too much, as it's main job is to disrupt the enemy team and die afterwards. Saving tera for something that does damage is usually better.
Tinkatink @ Eviolite
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

I am personally not a fan of Mankey, I think it's job of doing Fighting type damage is already fulfilled by Gastly and everything it wants to do is done better by Rufflet. I understand if you want to keep the mankey though, it does fit this team well.
If you are interested in some alternative for Mankey that fulfill similar roles, here you go! You could also get rid of it altogether as you already have scarf on Magnemite but thats up to your preference.
It has Sheer Force for consistency, if you like Hustle more take that!
Rufflet @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Flying
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
Rufflet @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
Tera Dark to kill Giraf and take less damage from Sucker Punch(When you trap Pawniard they tend to click Sucker Punch)
Diglett @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 HP / 200 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch

Tera Ice helps you oneshot toedscool. People tend to use Toedscool vs Diglett because it can take its Earthquake really well.
Honk Honk (Diglett) @ Focus Sash
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Tera Blast
- Rock Blast

Lastly, Magnemite. This set is pretty standard. I personally like using Tera Fighting with Tera Blast and Magnet Pull, but your team already has enough answers to Pawniard (I think).
If you want to change Magnemite to another mon, I would recommend something that has rapid spin as you currently dont have hazard control. If you dont worry about that too much, thats fine. But with both Mankey and Maschiff being bothered by Hazards I would recommend to atleast put 1 rapid spinner on your team.
Some options:
Toedscool @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Def / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spore
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
Toedscool @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 Def / 36 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore/Earth Power
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain/Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
Quaxly @ Eviolite
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 76 HP / 76 Atk / 156 SpD / 196 Spe
Careful Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Rapid Spin
- Brave Bird
Your team would benefit from having Toedscool on your team, since it is able to block Spore from your opponent. Not having an option for Spore can get you in trouble.

Bit of a long post with a lot of information. Good luck reading all of it and I hope it helps you with building a team!
Thank you for your suggestions and advice! I really appreciated your fixing the EVs. I also see what you mean with Stealth Rock on Tinkatink - from experience, another hazard setter is pretty great for this team. I'm experimenting with the Pokemon you suggested, too.

Thanks again for your help, and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)