National Dex Mega-Pinsir = Good

Over a camping trip, I decided to spend my free time not by doing fun outdoor stuff, but instead formulating a Mega-Pinsir team, because I am definitely sane. So here is my creation!

Teambuilding
So I started off with Mega-Pinsir, because I really wanted to build a team around it. It is strong, has good coverage and fast, and I like it.

Mega-Pinsir struggles against bulky steel/rock types quite a bit, so I decided to go with Gouging Fire for its partner in crime. A bulky set with Morning Sun makes it survive for an incredibly long time, and hits back with Flare Blitzes and Earthquakes. The duo worked quite well.

Both of my Pokemon here are incredibly stealth rock weak, so they really need hazard removal support. So who else to choose other than the premier rapid spinner, Great Tusk! Not only it is an excellent hazard remover, but it also deals with the rock and steel types, and provides utility with knock off. I decided to go with a bulkier Tusk, as it can eat more hits while still doing its job.

At this point I slapped on a Blissey, just because of how great of a special wall it is. It is also a pivot with teleport, as well as my rocks setter. Overall a very useful mon.

After making this quartet, I had to think of a fifth member to really enhance this team. I went with Aegislash. In its shield form, and can hit a few hits, set up swords dance, and hit back with a +2 shadow sneak, iron head or shadow claw. It has a ghostium-z to push its power even further. It is has plenty of useful resists (ice, rock, fairy, dragon, psychic, u-turn, flying), strong priority, as well as a fighting, normal and poison immunity.

It took me a while to think of the last member of the team, but I knew I needed a fast special clean-up mon. I debated a lot in my head which mon to use, and it ended up with scarf Kyurem. It was a valuable team member when I actually used it, so it rounded off the team very well.

The Team

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake

This is a usual Mega-Pinsir set. Aerilate Return for strong stab, Earthquake for coverage, and Aerilate Quick Attack for a good, reliable priority move. Moxie is here so in the regular form, you could snag a +1 boost from a weakened foe, and mega evolve to get an effective 614 attack. Swords Dance is a must-have to destroy the opponents even further if they get too passive.
Earthquake could be replace with Close Combat, but I prefer earthquake for its sheer versatility, hitting mons like Toxapex, Aegislash, Heatran, Iron Crown and more for super effective damage, and has no drawbacks.

Gouging Fire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Morning Sun

This is the bulky set on the official Smogon Dex, but I decided to make it tera ground to get stab on Earthquake. Below is the explanation for the rest of the set.
Gouging Fire is a great setup sweeper that utilizes its good bulk, solid defensive typing, and Terastallization to exploit common Pokemon like Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, Mega Scizor, and Alomomola and break through teams efficiently. Flare Blitz is reliable STAB into Pokemon like Zamazenta and Great Tusk; however, Heat Crash can be used for its lack of recoil, though its variable Base Power makes it harder to break through the aforementioned Pokemon. Earthquake lets Gouging Fire hit Heatran, Raging Bolt, and Toxapex. Morning Sun provides reliable recovery, letting Gouging Fire maintain a sweep, check Pokemon like Mega Charizard Y and Iron Valiant long term, and offset Flare Blitz recoil. The given EV spread lets Gouging Fire take Scorching Sands twice at full HP from Mega Charizard Y and outspeed Tornadus-T at +1.
- Dead by Daylight, hidin, and Amstan
Not much else.

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press

This is a classic bulky Great Tusk. It eats physical hits very well, and strikes back hard with a Body Press and Earthquake. In a pinch, it can even survive a special attack. Knock Off is here for progress-making, though I am forgoing my ability to hit Flying types with meaningful damage with Ice Spinner. Tera Water is crucial, as my team really needs a physical water resistance.

Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport
- Seismic Toss

Blissey is here primarily to eat special hits and pivot out. I decided to invest my EVs so it would have max Sp. Def and max HP, because even with max defence, it's not going to survive a physical attack. Blissey basically is the ultimate special wall against several Pokemons that threaten my team if I didn't have it around. Mons like Volcarona, special Kyurem, Tapu Koko, Raging Bolt, special Iron Valiant, Iron Crown, Darkrai and more are completely invalidated by Blissey. Stealth Rock is here as my only means of hazards, the rest should be self-explanatory. I would've liked Thunder Wave to invalidate even more Pokemon, but 4 move slot syndrome strikes again.

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
Tera Type: Steel
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw

This is a classic offensive Aegislash. Iron Head and Shadow Claw for strong stabs, Shadow Sneak for priority, Swords Dance to superpower its moves further, and Ghostium Z for ultimate destruction. However, not only it is a great attacker, but its resistances are incredibly helpful. Tapu Lele, a pokemon that would be a problem for this team, is checked by Aegislash, unless it has specs HP Fire, which basically no one runs. Another scary mon for this team, Iron Boulder, is checked by Aegislash, as a +2 Shadow Sneak OHKOS it.

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse

Last but not least, Kyurem. This is the usual 4-attack Kyurem set that you see on spec teams, but I'm using scarf, as it is my designated clean-up sweeper. Tera Ground is here to give stab to Earth Power, as well as turning its rock weakness to a resistance, but Tera Ice or Tera Dragon can be used to buff its other moves even more. Not much else to say here.

Threat List

Rain isn't impossible to deal with, but rather tricky. It is necessary for Great Tusk to tera into a water type to deal with Barraskewda. The rain core of Barra, Pelipper and Archaludon. Blissey can't wall Pelipper and Archaludon, as Pelipper can just u-turn out to Barra, and Archaludons usually run Body Press.

Even though Aegislash deals with Boulder well, if Aegislash is already weakened, then Iron Boulder can really ruin my team. Half of my team is weak to Mighty Cleave, and Tusk is weak to Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut. I'm forced to tera Gouging Fire to a Ground type is the situation is dire.

Mixed variants of Iron Valiant can really throw my team off. My two walls, Tusk and Blissey, fear its STABs. Aegislash can deal with it, but if it teras into a defensive typing, then it could potentially end in a loss. Gouging Fire can also take care of it, but I must be careful with when I should switch-in. Good plays should be enough to deal with Iron Valiant.

Most strong physical water STAB users are scary for this team. I am basically forced to tera Tusk into a water type every time. Waterpon is the scariest to deal with, as it can just hit tera water Tusk with its strong grass Stab. In a pinch, Gouging Fire can deal with it.

This fish is the bane of my existence. Sometimes this fish just feels unfair. A +2 Never Ending Nightmare from a max attack Aegislash isn't even an OHKO against a 4 HP, and max defence Alolamola. It can also survive a Freeze-Dry from Kyurem, so it can just switch out and regain health with regenarator. This thing is stupid.

Tapu Lele is easy to deal with when I have a healthy Aegislash. It is practically impossible to deal with when my Aegislash is at low health. Like Iron Valiant, Lele threatens both my walls, unless it isn't carrying psyshock (which is almost never). Gouging Fire and Mega Pinsir can tank some hits, but it will do a huge chunk of damage to them before going down, leaving them vulnerable to other mons.

I'm probably missing a few more threats, but those are all the ones I can think of.

I'm not the best Pokemon player, and I just want to show you all a cool team I made. This team managed to get me from the low 1200s to almost 1500 ELO, and I hope to keep rising. I am open to improvements for this team, and I hope you all enjoyed looking at my team!

Pokepaste:
:pinsir-mega:-:gouging_fire:-:great_tusk:-:blissey:-:aegislash:-:kyurem:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Sprites Link

f

Over a camping trip, I decided to spend my free time not by doing fun outdoor stuff, but instead formulating a Mega-Pinsir team, because I am definitely sane. So here is my creation!

Teambuilding
So I started off with Mega-Pinsir, because I really wanted to build a team around it. It is strong, has good coverage and fast, and I like it.

Mega-Pinsir struggles against bulky steel/rock types quite a bit, so I decided to go with Gouging Fire for its partner in crime. A bulky set with Morning Sun makes it survive for an incredibly long time, and hits back with Flare Blitzes and Earthquakes. The duo worked quite well.

Both of my Pokemon here are incredibly stealth rock weak, so they really need hazard removal support. So who else to choose other than the premier rapid spinner, Great Tusk! Not only it is an excellent hazard remover, but it also deals with the rock and steel types, and provides utility with knock off. I decided to go with a bulkier Tusk, as it can eat more hits while still doing its job.

At this point I slapped on a Blissey, just because of how great of a special wall it is. It is also a pivot with teleport, as well as my rocks setter. Overall a very useful mon.

After making this quartet, I had to think of a fifth member to really enhance this team. I went with Aegislash. In its shield form, and can hit a few hits, set up swords dance, and hit back with a +2 shadow sneak, iron head or shadow claw. It has a ghostium-z to push its power even further. It is has plenty of useful resists (ice, rock, fairy, dragon, psychic, u-turn, flying), strong priority, as well as a fighting, normal and poison immunity.

It took me a while to think of the last member of the team, but I knew I needed a fast special clean-up mon. I debated a lot in my head which mon to use, and it ended up with scarf Kyurem. It was a valuable team member when I actually used it, so it rounded off the team very well.

The Team

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Bug
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake

This is a usual Mega-Pinsir set. Aerilate Return for strong stab, Earthquake for coverage, and Aerilate Quick Attack for a good, reliable priority move. Moxie is here so in the regular form, you could snag a +1 boost from a weakened foe, and mega evolve to get an effective 614 attack. Swords Dance is a must-have to destroy the opponents even further if they get too passive.
Earthquake could be replace with Close Combat, but I prefer earthquake for its sheer versatility, hitting mons like Toxapex, Aegislash, Heatran, Iron Crown and more for super effective damage, and has no drawbacks.

Gouging Fire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Morning Sun

This is the bulky set on the official Smogon Dex, but I decided to make it tera ground to get stab on Earthquake. Below is the explanation for the rest of the set.
- Dead by Daylight, hidin, and Amstan
Not much else.

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press

This is a classic bulky Great Tusk. It eats physical hits very well, and strikes back hard with a Body Press and Earthquake. In a pinch, it can even survive a special attack. Knock Off is here for progress-making, though I am forgoing my ability to hit Flying types with meaningful damage with Ice Spinner. Tera Water is crucial, as my team really needs a physical water resistance.

Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport
- Seismic Toss

Blissey is here primarily to eat special hits and pivot out. I decided to invest my EVs so it would have max Sp. Def and max HP, because even with max defence, it's not going to survive a physical attack. Blissey basically is the ultimate special wall against several Pokemons that threaten my team if I didn't have it around. Mons like Volcarona, special Kyurem, Tapu Koko, Raging Bolt, special Iron Valiant, Iron Crown, Darkrai and more are completely invalidated by Blissey. Stealth Rock is here as my only means of hazards, the rest should be self-explanatory. I would've liked Thunder Wave to invalidate even more Pokemon, but 4 move slot syndrome strikes again.

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
Tera Type: Steel
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw

This is a classic offensive Aegislash. Iron Head and Shadow Claw for strong stabs, Shadow Sneak for priority, Swords Dance to superpower its moves further, and Ghostium Z for ultimate destruction. However, not only it is a great attacker, but its resistances are incredibly helpful. Tapu Lele, a pokemon that would be a problem for this team, is checked by Aegislash, unless it has specs HP Fire, which basically no one runs. Another scary mon for this team, Iron Boulder, is checked by Aegislash, as a +2 Shadow Sneak OHKOS it.

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse

Last but not least, Kyurem. This is the usual 4-attack Kyurem set that you see on spec teams, but I'm using scarf, as it is my designated clean-up sweeper. Tera Ground is here to give stab to Earth Power, as well as turning its rock weakness to a resistance, but Tera Ice or Tera Dragon can be used to buff its other moves even more. Not much else to say here.

Threat List

Rain isn't impossible to deal with, but rather tricky. It is necessary for Great Tusk to tera into a water type to deal with Barraskewda. The rain core of Barra, Pelipper and Archaludon. Blissey can't wall Pelipper and Archaludon, as Pelipper can just u-turn out to Barra, and Archaludons usually run Body Press.

Even though Aegislash deals with Boulder well, if Aegislash is already weakened, then Iron Boulder can really ruin my team. Half of my team is weak to Mighty Cleave, and Tusk is weak to Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut. I'm forced to tera Gouging Fire to a Ground type is the situation is dire.

Mixed variants of Iron Valiant can really throw my team off. My two walls, Tusk and Blissey, fear its STABs. Aegislash can deal with it, but if it teras into a defensive typing, then it could potentially end in a loss. Gouging Fire can also take care of it, but I must be careful with when I should switch-in. Good plays should be enough to deal with Iron Valiant.

Most strong physical water STAB users are scary for this team. I am basically forced to tera Tusk into a water type every time. Waterpon is the scariest to deal with, as it can just hit tera water Tusk with its strong grass Stab. In a pinch, Gouging Fire can deal with it.

This fish is the bane of my existence. Sometimes this fish just feels unfair. A +2 Never Ending Nightmare from a max attack Aegislash isn't even an OHKO against a 4 HP, and max defence Alolamola. It can also survive a Freeze-Dry from Kyurem, so it can just switch out and regain health with regenarator. This thing is stupid.

Tapu Lele is easy to deal with when I have a healthy Aegislash. It is practically impossible to deal with when my Aegislash is at low health. Like Iron Valiant, Lele threatens both my walls, unless it isn't carrying psyshock (which is almost never). Gouging Fire and Mega Pinsir can tank some hits, but it will do a huge chunk of damage to them before going down, leaving them vulnerable to other mons.

I'm probably missing a few more threats, but those are all the ones I can think of.

I'm not the best Pokemon player, and I just want to show you all a cool team I made. This team managed to get me from the low 1200s to almost 1500 ELO, and I hope to keep rising. I am open to improvements for this team, and I hope you all enjoyed looking at my team!

Pokepaste:
:pinsir-mega:-:gouging_fire:-:great_tusk:-:blissey:-:aegislash:-:kyurem:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Sprites Link
One tip: invest 252 defense into blissey and remove the HP investment as the HP is already so high on its, its pointless to add more, plus with the defense investment, it can take some weaker physical hits.
I still like draco meteor on kyurem over pulse for the damage.
oh and btw, you can try out the standard breaking swipe gouging fire too, as blis is already an existing wall.
btw, I have no idea how is your team gonna be able to deal with stall...

f

One tip: invest 252 defense into blissey and remove the HP investment as the HP is already so high on its, its pointless to add more, plus with the defense investment, it can take some weaker physical hits.
I still like draco meteor on kyurem over pulse for the damage.
oh and btw, you can try out the standard breaking swipe gouging fire too, as blis is already an existing wall.
btw, I have no idea how is your team gonna be able to deal with stall...
Thanks for the suggestions! I decided to do these changes you suggested except for the Gouging Fire one. The ability to hit Toxapex is quite nice. (I may consider breaking swipe in the future however.)

Also, I just somehow manage to beat stall. M-Pinsir is a surprisingly good wall breaker, and Aegislash's never ending nightmares hit hard as well. Dondozo and Toxapex can also be weakened by Kyurem. I must do some careful plays though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)