Monotype Lost in the Desert - Ground

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
RMT Banners (2).png

:ss/Hippowdon::ss/Excadrill::ss/Gastrodon::ss/Nidoking::ss/Mamoswine: :ss/Landorus-Therian:

RMT Banners (3).png

Hey folks! It's Giyu with another Monotype team I've been working on. It's a pretty basic Ground-type team but it's been really good on ladder and is easy to use. As always I appreciate any feedback and criticism on the team so without further ado, I present Lost in the Desert.

RMT Banners (5).png

:Hippowdon:
Hippowdon is an indispensable part of Ground-type teams, it's ability to set sand is very beneficial for weather control against rain and in particular greatly supports Excadrill. It has also has very nice bulk and utility options making it a very valuable part of this team.

:Hippowdon: :Excadrill:
As mentioned earlier, Hippowdon's ability to set sand aids Excadrill's ability to revenge kill possible threats to the team. Being part Steel-type allows it take neutral damage from Grass- and Ice-type attacks which are otherwise potent against Ground.

:Hippowdon: :Excadrill: :Gastrodon:
Gastrodon's ability provides a crucial Water-type immunity for the team and it's solid bulk allows it to take hits on switch in. Access to proper recovery and the move Toxic, it's able to wall some noteworthy sweepers.

:Hippowdon: :Excadrill: :Gastrodon: :Nidoking:
Nidoking is an excellent wallbreaker that checks troublesome physical walls with its amazing coverage. The ability to remove Toxic Spikes is also very nice so locking into Rapid Spin on Excadrill isn't necessary.

:Hippowdon: :Excadrill: :Gastrodon: :Nidoking: :Mamoswine:
Ground-type teams have an obvious Ice-type weakness which Mamoswine is there for, Thick Fat is extremely useful on this team as it allows Mamoswine to be a switch in for Ice- and Fire-type moves. Mamoswine is wallbreaks special walls with ease and has access to priority.

:Hippowdon: :Excadrill: :Gastrodon: :Nidoking: :Mamoswine: :Landorus-Therian:
Ground-type teams often struggle with Grass-types which Landorus-Therians has a neutrality to. Landorus-T being part Flying-type can be a reliable switch in against Ground-type attacks for Excadrill and Nidoking. I specifically chose the Bulk Up set due to it being incredibly hard to break with physical attackers.

RMT Banners (6).png

:ss/Hippowdon:
1645298218201.png

Hippowdon @ Eject Button :Eject Button:
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
1645298292044.png

- Earthquake
1645298303578.png

- Slack Off
1645298312152.png

- Whirlwind
1645298388105.png

Hippowdon primarily serves as a sand setter for Excadrill and and a bulky utility Pokemon. Stealth Rock is great for waring down Pokemon getting switched in to ease wallbreaking with Nidoking and Mamoswine. Earthquake is a powerful option for STAB to wear down Pokemon with the help of sand tick. Slack Off is Hippowdon's most viable recovery move which allows it to set sand more in the game. Whirlwind is able to force Pokemon that setup to switch and it works great in conjunction with Stealth Rock and sand. 252 HP and 128 Defense EV investments and Impish nature allow Hippowdon to take on phsyical attackers with minor effort and 128 Special Defense allows Hippowdon survive Choice Specs Latios's Draco Meteor and Grass Knot from Tapu Koko. Eject Button is a great way to pivot into Excadrill by swapping in Hippowdon first to setup sand and get some cheeky revenge kills.

:ss/Excadrill:
1645312314498.png
1645312320339.png

Excadrill @ Choice Band :Choice Band:
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
1645312626170.png

- Iron Head
1645312638973.png

- X-Scissor
1645312716091.png

- Rapid Spin
1645312759565.png

Excadrill is an extremely potent revenge killer in sand and with it's incredibly high attack stat it's even able to wallbreak. Iron Head gives the team coverage for Ice- and Fairy-types, it's also good for neutral damage since it's STAB. Earthquake is what makes Excadrill extremely dangerous because of the high base power and STAB. X-Scissor is primarily for coverage against Grass-types but it can also check Dark- and Psychic-types. Rapid Spin is the team's only method hazard control except Nidoking's ability to absorb Toxic Spikes. The EV investments chosen make sure Excadrill is the fastest and strongest it can be with Adamant nature.

:ss/Gastrodon:
1645385436159.png
1645385456914.png

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers :Leftovers:
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
1645385466280.png

- Scald
1645385470295.png

- Toxic
1645385488609.png

- Recover
1645385507026.png

Gastrodon is this teams Water-type immunity. It provides decent bulk so it's a reliable switch in for sponging hits. Earth Power is primarily there so Gastrodon isn't that passive and can do consistent damage. Toxic allows Gastrodon to stall out Pokemon with Recover and Leftovers recovery. Scald fishes for burns making physical attackers less threatening towards the team. Recover is for consistent recovery and Toxic stall when needed. I chose these EV investments to balance out Gastrodon's high Special Defense and slightly lower Defense. Leftovers provide consistent recovery throughout the turns, this can preserve the PP on Recover throughout the game.

:ss/Nidoking:
1645385521939.png
1645385525990.png

Nidoking @ Life Orb :Life Orb:
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
1645385532672.png

- Flamethrower
1645385539378.png

- Ice Beam
1645385551897.png

- Thunderbolt
1645385555329.png

Nidoking is this team's Special wallbreaker, with it's superb coverage and sheer power it's able to check many Defensive walls that Mamoswine and Excadrill struggle with. Ice Beam is great for predicting switches into Ice- and Grass-types. Flamethrower is primarily for Ferrothorn and other Steel-types that are immune or neutral to Earth Power. Earth Power is Nidoking's STAB move which does a lot of damage, it even has a chance of lowering Special Defense for easier wallbreaking. Thunderbolt is for Water-types mainly but can also be used for Flying-types when needed. The EVs chosen maximize Nidokings wallbreaking potential by maximizing Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature. Life Orb is the most common held item for Nidoking as it provides amazing damage boosts but also allows Nidoking to switch between its 4 coverage moves.

:ss/Mamoswine:
1645385566862.png
1645385573616.png

Mamoswine @ Choice Band :Choice Band:
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
1645385577551.png

- Earthquake
1645385590519.png

- Ice Shard
1645385601150.png

- Superpower
1645385613601.png

Mamoswine is an excellent Physical wallbreaker, especially with access to almost unresisted coverage and incredibly high Attack. Earthquake is Mamoswine's most powerful STAB move which just does a lot of damage in general whether it's super effective or not. Superpower is primarily for opposing Ice-types and Ferrothorn. Icicle Crash has a chance of flinching the target and hits Flying-types which Earthquake can't. Ice Shard is Mamoswine's priority move which can be really useful in situations. 252 Attack and 252 Speed allows Mamoswine to be the fastest and strongest it can be with Jolly nature. Choice Band makes it an even better wallbreaker and powers up Ice Shard which is pretty weak without it.

:ss/Landorus-Therian:
1645385621486.png
1645385630595.png

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers :Leftovers:
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 60 SpD / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
1645385636228.png

- Earthquake
1645385639957.png

- Gravity
1645385647553.png

- Substitute
1645385658175.png

Bulk Up Landorus-T is a powerful setup sweeper that's really hard to break with Physical attackers. Bulk Up increases Landorus-T's Attack but also its Defensive bulk which is why it's really hard to check after some setup. Earthquake is pretty self explanatory as it's the most powerful STAB move it has access to. Substitute prevents Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Amoonguss from using Leech Seed and Spore, it also allows Landorus-T to use them as setup fodder. Gravity is very important because it permits Earthquake hitting Flying-types or Pokemon with Levitate. The EV spread allows Landorus-T's Substitute to not be broken by Amoonguss' Giga Drain or Foul Play, and it also outspeeds Choice Band Victini at -1 speed after using V-Create, Scizor, and Aegislash. Leftovers is Landorus-T's only way of recovery so it's required to recover from the Substitute recoil.

RMT Banners (7).png

I've had huge success with this team and I believe it's worth using. I definitely appreciate any feedback whatsoever so I can keep improving with my teambuilding, if anyone has any comments about the team please share!

RMT Banners (8).png

1645385738072.png

Gastrodon is this team's only Water-type immunity meaning that when it gets checked, this team can't do anything against Water-types specifically Urshifu-R which pressures Gastrodon with Fighting-type moves. Keeping Gastrodon alive is also pretty hard, especially if the opposing team is Water-type there is going to be a Pokemon with coverage for Gastrodon.
1645385744538.png

Ice-types specifically Kyurem is incredibly dangerous due to Freeze-Dry being 4x super effective against Gastrodon. Mamoswine and sand rush Excadrill are Kyurem's only really good counters due to Excadrill being too slow out of sand and everything else being weak to Ice-type moves.
1645385750143.png

Powerful Grass-type attackers such as Zarude, Rillaboom, and Tapu Bulu can also pressure the team greatly because Landorus-T and Nidoking can't withstand their hits throughout the match. Rillaboom is especially scary due to Grassy Glide's priority. Setup sets are even worse due to nothing being able to cancel out the terrain.

RMT Banners (9).png

Last edited:
Nice work for RMT #2! Ground has remained nearly unchanged for 4 generations now so you’ve pretty much hit the composition. There are still some minor adjustments and some suggestions that could round out your coverage of the meta.

:Choice Band:
I personally am not a huge fan of doubling up on the same Choice item for the most part and I think here it benefits you more to remove one because Ground isn’t as flexible of a type as some of the others. Both Mamoswine and Excadrill can function well without a Choice Band, it’s just up to your preference.

:Excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
This is a solid set alternative for Excadrill; you can still take advantage of Sand, but are not totally reliant on it. With this set Excadrill can be a potent sweeper long after Hippowdon is knocked out (which might happen more often with an Eject Button set).

OR:

:Mamoswine:
Mamoswine @ Never-Melt Ice
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
First I’ll start off by saying no matter which set you go with, Knock Off is far better than Superpower currently. The utility that Knock Off provides is invaluable, most notably in a Heavy-Duty Boots meta. It also allows you to remove walls recovery in Leftovers or Black Sludge or neutralize sets by removing items like Power Herb, Choice items and more.

Now for this set it’s quite a simple change; by swapping Choice Band for Never-Melt Ice you’re only losing .2x damage on your more commonly used STAB. With the attack reduction be so minor, it’s easy to bluff like you have Choice Band which if you predict properly can catch free KOs on the opponents switches. (Note: if you keep Choice Band Excadrill, I’d switch Rapid Spin to Rock Slide so you’re not completely useless against some Flying types that resist Steel)

The Sand composition for Ground is pretty rigid, but there are 3 spots that typically consist of any of the same 4 Pokémon, the other being Garchomp. Should you feel like you’re still struggling against Grass types or even some Water types, Garchomp is a great option as it takes neutral damage from both types. With its naturally high speed it can be a check to Kyurem as well.

:Garchomp:
There are a multitude of sets that Garchomp can run but here are a few options:

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
In no particular order we start with a pseudo double dance set. Swords Dance boosts Garchomp’s Attack while Scale Shot boosts Speed. Lum Berry is used to avoid status when setting up.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Poison Jab
- Fire Blast
Second is a Choice Scarf set. What’s nice here is that you can revenge KO without needing Sand up. Garchomp has a great speed tier for a revenged as it’s faster than base 90s and 100s like Tapu Lele (90) and Zapdos (100). First 2 attacks are STABS, while Poison Jab helps check both Grass- and Fairy-types including the major threat of Tapu Bulu. Fire Blast is used over Fire Fang here because without Swords Dance and with Garchomp’s adequate Special Attack you can deal more damage to common physical Steel switch ins like Skarmory or Ferrothorn.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- (Coverage)
This set is the most niche of the 3. It saw a little bit of play at the beginning of the rise of Sandless Ground with Stealth Rock in the fourth move slot. Since you have Stealth Rock on the team already you have your pick of coverage for that slot. It can be anything from Stone Edge, Poison Jab or Toxic to a Dragon STAB that doesn’t lower Special attack. The EVs are reversed from the Scarf set and rides on the back of Garchomp’s very high Attack and Life Orbs damage boost to still do solid damage with physical attacks.

Overall your comp looks good. Like I said, Ground can be a little rigid so you might need a few different comps to deal with different matchups. Hopefully these suggestions give you better insight on how to deal with those matchups and Ground as a whole. Below is an updated team that I think suits you best based on the original team.

:Hippowdon::Excadrill::Gastrodon::Nidoking::Mamoswine::Landorus-Therian:

Giyu

Tomioka
Nice work for RMT #2! Ground has remained nearly unchanged for 4 generations now so you’ve pretty much hit the composition. There are still some minor adjustments and some suggestions that could round out your coverage of the meta.

:Choice Band:
I personally am not a huge fan of doubling up on the same Choice item for the most part and I think here it benefits you more to remove one because Ground isn’t as flexible of a type as some of the others. Both Mamoswine and Excadrill can function well without a Choice Band, it’s just up to your preference.

:Excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
This is a solid set alternative for Excadrill; you can still take advantage of Sand, but are not totally reliant on it. With this set Excadrill can be a potent sweeper long after Hippowdon is knocked out (which might happen more often with an Eject Button set).

OR:

:Mamoswine:
Mamoswine @ Never-Melt Ice
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
First I’ll start off by saying no matter which set you go with, Knock Off is far better than Superpower currently. The utility that Knock Off provides is invaluable, most notably in a Heavy-Duty Boots meta. It also allows you to remove walls recovery in Leftovers or Black Sludge or neutralize sets by removing items like Power Herb, Choice items and more.

Now for this set it’s quite a simple change; by swapping Choice Band for Never-Melt Ice you’re only losing .2x damage on your more commonly used STAB. With the attack reduction be so minor, it’s easy to bluff like you have Choice Band which if you predict properly can catch free KOs on the opponents switches. (Note: if you keep Choice Band Excadrill, I’d switch Rapid Spin to Rock Slide so you’re not completely useless against some Flying types that resist Steel)

The Sand composition for Ground is pretty rigid, but there are 3 spots that typically consist of any of the same 4 Pokémon, the other being Garchomp. Should you feel like you’re still struggling against Grass types or even some Water types, Garchomp is a great option as it takes neutral damage from both types. With its naturally high speed it can be a check to Kyurem as well.

:Garchomp:
There are a multitude of sets that Garchomp can run but here are a few options:

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
In no particular order we start with a pseudo double dance set. Swords Dance boosts Garchomp’s Attack while Scale Shot boosts Speed. Lum Berry is used to avoid status when setting up.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Poison Jab
- Fire Blast
Second is a Choice Scarf set. What’s nice here is that you can revenge KO without needing Sand up. Garchomp has a great speed tier for a revenged as it’s faster than base 90s and 100s like Tapu Lele (90) and Zapdos (100). First 2 attacks are STABS, while Poison Jab helps check both Grass- and Fairy-types including the major threat of Tapu Bulu. Fire Blast is used over Fire Fang here because without Swords Dance and with Garchomp’s adequate Special Attack you can deal more damage to common physical Steel switch ins like Skarmory or Ferrothorn.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- (Coverage)
This set is the most niche of the 3. It saw a little bit of play at the beginning of the rise of Sandless Ground with Stealth Rock in the fourth move slot. Since you have Stealth Rock on the team already you have your pick of coverage for that slot. It can be anything from Stone Edge, Poison Jab or Toxic to a Dragon STAB that doesn’t lower Special attack. The EVs are reversed from the Scarf set and rides on the back of Garchomp’s very high Attack and Life Orbs damage boost to still do solid damage with physical attacks.

Overall your comp looks good. Like I said, Ground can be a little rigid so you might need a few different comps to deal with different matchups. Hopefully these suggestions give you better insight on how to deal with those matchups and Ground as a whole. Below is an updated team that I think suits you best based on the original team.

:Hippowdon::Excadrill::Gastrodon::Nidoking::Mamoswine::Landorus-Therian:
Thank you so much for all the feedback, I deeply appreciate it and I will definitely play games with the new team. Although, losing Rapid Spin on Excadrill leaves me defenseless against Sticky Web and Stealth Rock/Spike damage. Do you recommend I turn my Landorus-T into a defogger?

Thank you so much for all the feedback, I deeply appreciate it and I will definitely play games with the new team. Although, losing Rapid Spin on Excadrill leaves me defenseless against Sticky Web and Stealth Rock/Spike damage. Do you recommend I turn my Landorus-T into a defogger?
I wouldn’t, you lose the great set up potential it has is some match ups. That lack of hazard clearing is kind of just a limitation of Sand Ground

Last edited:

Giyu

Tomioka
I wouldn’t, you lose the great set up potential it has is some match ups. That lack of hazard clear long is kind of just a limitation of Sand Ground
I guess I just need to endure the pain of playing against Bug-type teams :row:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)