SS LC I Can't Believe It's Not Fast!

Hello Smogon! After a long time of not playing any LC, I've recently come back to play it again. Actually it's nice to take some breaks away from playing the game, as you can come back with fresh plays and ideas. Since the last RMT I've done with DarkAleX, many things happened into the tier, most notably the Home and DLC releases, that freed a number of good mons such as Mienfoo, Abra, Staryu, while other mons rose from the shadows (as I hope to do someday) such as Grookey.

I wasn't particularly inspired for a song, sorry for that. You can play whatever you want in the back, while reading this.​

So let me ask you a question: are you tired of U-turning first in your Mienfoo wars, possibly getting your Fightcheck knocked off by turn 2, which can be decisive on a game as they are notably more frail (and prone to trapping) with no Eviolite? Do you want to immediatly get the upper hand given by God Momentum on combat on the lead turn? Well, that team is (hopefully) for you! With no further ado, let me present you, ladies and gentlemen...

1603375307341.png
(or Toxic Spikes FlySpam + Really Slow Mienfoo)
(thanks to Moisiks for the art, you can follow him on his Twitter here (I promised it to him))
(Click into the box to open it and get the export!)​

And yeah, I RMT'd this instead of that Webs that just carries me through so bad and has a better win rate, and to add more, just before DLC2. I have no sense of priorities, what'cha gon' do?

Teambuilding Process

1603375544607.png

The idea of this team is pretty straightforward. I wanted to make a team that focuses on pressuring the opponent by turn 2 instead of getting pressured. While experimenting for a very little teamtour that got me back into the game after a serveral months-long absence, I got a funny idea: 9 speed Mienfoo. The idea was to underspeed every other fighter on turn 1 (even uninvested Timburr) and essentially giving me a free in on Wingull to begin pressuring the opponent, or to underspeed Mareanie to then U-turn into Diglett and trap it for Wingull.

1603375544607.png
1603375718208.png
1603375768568.png

I then decided to add my Fightcheck. I chose to test Mareanie as it was said to be really good at the moment. Plus, it could provide some more pressure to help Wingull break with Knock Off or Toxic Spikes. I opted for the latter as it helps Wingull to break through Spritzee easier. Ferroseed was an immediate pick afterwards : the Mareanie - Ferroseed core is pretty solid, with Mareanie soaking up the fighters' and Ponyta's hits, and Ferroseed sponging Foongus', Abra's, Onix's and Mareanie's moves while kind of soft checking Flying-types in tandem, by working together. Also, Ferroseed could provide Speed Control in the form of Thunder Wave, Knock Off support, as well as the ever-so-needed Stealth Rocks. This core also makes the team nigh-unbreakable for Shellder, between Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Bulky Mienfoo (that underspeeds Shellder with this spread and can hit it with a strong High Jump Kick while it tries to Shell Smash).

1603375544607.png
1603375727919.png
1603375765087.png
1603375851919.png

You knew it was coming next. Vullaby is still one of Little Cup's ultimate staples : a mixture of offense and bulk able to spread Knock Off and to Defog to its heart's content while packing a strong punch with Brave Bird and an option to keep the momentum with U-turn was what I needed as Wingull hates Rocks and Mienfoo hates Toxic Spikes. Plus, it turned the team into a sort of Flying Spam, and I was happy with how it turned out to look. It served the role of overall glue, sponging Psychic-type hits notably while forcing out a number of Pokémon, and was another Speed Control option thanks to Weak Armor.

1603375544607.png
1603375840773.png
1603375733264.png
1603375757935.png

I then shuffled the team a bit, as I usually tend to do (it only ended up in shifting Vullaby's and Wingull's place, somehow, a sign that I'm not really good at shuffling I guess). However, it soon became apparent I still had some serious problems with checking birds as my softchecks combination wasn't sturdy enough to take on the threats they wanted to check AND a speed-boosted Vullaby. I tried Iron Defense on Mareanie to try to mitigate this, but aside from very specific scenarios, it was much more useless than Knock Off or Toxic Spikes for me.

1603375811480.png
1603375836891.png
1603375738162.png
1603375754272.png

That is why I decided to change the most useless member of the team, who was paradoxically Diglett, for a much more dedicated Flying check! I had the choice between Onix and Pawniard, and while I understand some people would've picked the former, I went wth the latter, as it provided me extra insurance against Vullaby, Wingull, Abra, Ponyta-Galar, Shellder, the newly-surfacing Grookey (if it hasn't got Drain Punch) as well as strong Sucker Punch priority and Knock Offs, while Onix really only provided more Speed Control and extra insurance against Ponyta, since Volt Switch is almost non-existent at the moment. I also chose it for Defiant as my opponent can't simply Defog to remove my Hazards! Pawniard also was chosen as a mean to weaken the opponent's team or clean it with strong Swords Dance-boosted attacks. Oh, and it doesn't mind Toxic Spikes, unlike Onix, which means I basically made a team with 5 mons that aren't bothered by Toxic Spikes, which is a good thing, considering how strong they are right now. Speaking of Toxic Spikes, this is also when I finally made my choice between Toxic Spikes and Knock Off on Mareanie, and the former was picked to help Wingull breaking through its bulkier checks, notably Spritzee and Porygon.

The team now had a speed problem, with only Wingull really being over 17 speed. I decided to mitigate this with by changing Vullaby's set to a fast Scarfed Vullaby that helps revenge killing annoying mons such as +1 Speed Scraggy and punishing Diglett, notably, and it can provide more momentum than Ferroseed on Foongus thanks to Overcoat, as well as another strong cleaner with its Brave Birds. Also, it can somewhat form a nice Dark-spam core with Pawniard as they both have strong STABbed Knock Offs. It can also act as a Woobat revenge killer, seeing as how this thing gained usage as Grookey's partner in crime.

1603375873935.png
1603375831716.png
1603375738162.png
1603375754272.png

Then, Magnemite happened. The thing just fucked the team over and I had very minimal counterplay against it, which only really consisted of surprising it with a Scarfed Vullaby, setting Substitutes with Wingull to hopefully burn Berry Juice variants, or using Pawniard's Sucker Punches. Thus, I felt I still needed to have that Ground-type that could help against Magnemite. I quickly settled for a Pokémon I had never tried: Mudbray. With Ferroseed, it can soft-check Flying-types (with Mareanie too as a last resort), Fire Punch Abra, while alone it can quickly wreck havoc on slower teams. With Mareanie and Wingull it can help check Vulpix and Ponyta (all the more as since I'm bad and scared to double, I often let Mareanie get trapped). It also makes the team respect the idea of slow-pivoting into a threatening Ground-type again, and Mudbray can take advantage of this to ensure Rocks on the opposing field, freeing up a slot for Ferroseed, in which I settled for Spikes. I then shuffled the team again, but when I am writing this, I have already done most of the RMT and am only revising some things, so I am too lazy to reorder all things again.

In-Depth Analysis.

1603375900155.png
1603375903854.png

King Nothing (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 5
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 36 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

The King of LC (and Vullaby is the Queen) is a pretty straightforward Pokémon. High Jump Kick is a strong Fighting-type STAB that can almost beyond repair chip Pokémon that don't resist it, as well as beat the Onix lead play ladder people tend to do. Not running a dedicated Flying-check makes High Jump Kick mandatory to revenge kill a Weak Armor-boosted Vullaby that has gone out of hand if I don't have anything else anymore, and thus, options like Drain Punch can't be considered. Knock Off is like bread and butter on this Pokémon. Knock Off can cripple opposing Pokémon, which proves to be perfect to bolster Mudbray's, Wingull's and Vullaby's offensive capabilities. Fake Out provides a nice priority that can help weaken Weak Armor Vullabies by dropping their Defense down a stage or scout non-Eviolite Mienfoo sets if you get paired up against a Banded or Scarved Mienfoo. This Mienfoo tanks a Vullaby Brave Bird from almost full, and a High Jump Kick from banded Mienfoo amongst other things, which can prove handful to revenge kill these in a pinch if no other choice is available. U-turn was intentionally skipped until now, since it's part of the highlight of the set. With the 0- Speed EV Spread, this Mienfoo practically underspeeds every mon that is a little bit offensive, topping at a low 9 on Speed. It can notably underspeed Mareanie and the Fighters to eat their Knock Offs and prevent anything else from being crippled, Shellder to critically chip it after it Shell Smashes. U-turn works wonders with this spread, as this min speed Mienfoo can regain momentum easily! I haven't tested much options on the set, but I'd say Fake Out is easily replaceable as a min Speed Mienfoo, since it's practically almost never going first. Acrobatics, Poison Jab, Feint (a less strong but more reliable priority that can revenge Abra through Protect, though it is not needed as the team is more than solid against it) or even Protect seem like funny options, but Fake Out's priority is still good enough not to pass it up. The only bad thing with running 9 instead of 10 speed is that you tie with Spritzee, but I don't feel like tying with Timburr because Mudbray or Mareanie would end up being weakened for little reason, and Spritzee is bad at the moment anyway. 10 speed can still be considered though.

1603375913127.png
1603375910240.png

Speed King (Mudbray) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 116 HP / 36 Atk / 196 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Horsepower
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide

Mudbray is the team's primary answer to Magnemite (in conjuction with Ferroseed to try and scout how the opponent tends to play with his Magnemite on the early-game) and a soft-Vullaby- and fire-check. It likes to set Rocks up early unless it has to weaken something. People tend to send their Vullaby in to prevent Mudbray from keeping the Rocks (and Ferroseed's Spikes) up on the field and to try to weaken it. It is good for the team as Wingull likes a weakened Vullaby that can't switch in. The other moves are straightforward: High Horsepower is used instead of Earthquake to still pack a punch on Grookey's Grassy Terrain. It still hits quite hard Pokémon up to the bulky Mienfoo and Foongus for a clean 2HKO. Rock Slide notably hits Vullaby and prevents Wingull from subbing on you if you feel ballsy. I click Heavy Slam whenever I don't really know if the opponent is staying in with a Rock Slide resist or switching into Vullaby, predicting another Horsepower. It generally hits hard too, due to Mudbray's astonishing Attack and its weight. Of course, Stamina is the Ability of Choice that actually helps Mudbray be a soft-check against a number of physical threats. This Ability makes it "partially Knock Off immune", as the gain in Defense matches the one of the Eviolite.

1603375989584.png
1603375984762.png

Walking Heart (Vullaby) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Rock Smash

Vullaby is the team's only real surprise option, as from preview a Berry Juice set can be assumed most of the time. Scarved Vullaby outspeeds the whole unboosted tier, and sits at a respectable speed for a Scarfer as a 16 Speed Scarfer. This speed tier allows it to notably outspeed Scraggy and Corphish after a Dragon Dance, and Scarfers not named Mienfoo or Vulpix. Brave Bird is a strong Flying STAB whose presence is immediatly threatening to most Pokémon, but it should be clicked moderately, as this Vullaby is not packing a Berry Juice and can thus be prone to being worn down throughout the game. Knock Off does Knock Off things, being crippling opposing mons by making them less resilient for teammates and being a strong STAB option or mindless click most of the time. Unlike Mienfoo's U-turn, which takes advantage of it being slow, Vullaby's U-turn takes advantage of forcing switches and being very fast. It can thus maintain offensive pressure and offer switches to whatever is needed in the terrain. Rock Smash was chosen over Heat Wave not to miss out on important Brave Bird rolls to clean late game, and hits Pawniard pretty hard without risking a miss that would reveal the entire strategy for naught. Overcoat eases both prediction and momentum regain, as the Vullaby can switch into Foongus doubling into Mienfoo pretty comfortably against better players who don't want to give Ferroseed opportunities to setup Stealth Rocks. Overcoat also makes Vullaby non-susceptible to Weak Armor Defense drops, which makes it quite bulky and harder to take out or revenge kill, while still retaining a respectable Speed thanks to the Choice Scarf.

1603375926995.png
1603375923168.png

Awaking III Leaves (Mareanie) @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 HP / 20 Def / 92 SpA / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Mareanie is a really straightforward Pokémon as well. Scald is the Water STAB that can threaten to insanely cripple Pokémon with a Burn, halving their Attack. This can apply to Pokémon like Pawniard, Vullaby, fighters, Diglett, and Burn provides good chip to other mons if it is landed. Sludge Bomb is the Poison-type STAB that is a bit stronger, and can threaten to Poison opposing Pokémon, greatly limiting their Staying Power, especially when you have Wingull in the back. It can alternatively be used not to give Foongus a free switchin. Recover lets Mareanie be able to sustain itself and repeatedly check Pokémon, especially when coupled with Regenerator, that increases the amount of health regained when you switch Mareanie out. Toxic Spikes are pretty important for the team, as they can let Wingull break through Spritzee, something it can't usually do by itself, or Mudbray wreck havoc, eases Vullaby's cleaning a lot, and can force plays from your opponent if they don't want anything to be Poisoned. Knock Off can also be chosen over Toxic Spikes, but it's less efficient in this team. Mareanie also checks Ponyta, in tandem with Mudbray and Wingull, which is immune to High Horsepower. It also deals with Shellder, and serves as one of the global checks with its resilience and regenerative capabilities.

1603375936051.png
1603375932819.png

Nut King Call (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 4 SpA / 148 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

It's the first time I am this successful when I use Ferroseed, may be a result of me playing Eviolite instead of the usual Berry Juice, haha. Ferroseed is a strong Pokémon in this meta, that can compress a lot of roles for the team. It is a Water, Foongus, and Abra in all at once, especially since Abra can't bypass it with Hidden Power Fire anymore, as it's a Gen7oomer thing, but the rare Fire Punch Abra is checked with Mudbray, and you still have to be wary of this potential move. It also soft checks birds with Mudbray and Mareanie, notably forcing Wingull into 50/50's. The Spikes are used in conjuction with Mudbray's Stealth Rocks and are also set whenever Ferroseed can come in freely on Pokémon such as Foongus. These help further rack damage up on bulky Pokémon Wingull or Vullaby need to break through. Knock Off is always too good to pass up, and Ferroseed coming in on Foongus basically has a free Knock Off, Stealth Rock, or Thunder Wave, which cripples faster mons by slowing them down to under Mudbray's Speed tier, and can sometimes make the opposing mon spend a turn doing nothing because of Paralysis RNG. It is also my in to Staryu, as it can chip it with Iron Barbs on a Flip Turn or on a Rapid Spin while still having free Spikes the following turn.

1603375960499.png
1603375964028.png

Paper Moon King (Wingull) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Substitute
- Defog

Last but far from the least, one of the team's means of pressure. Berry Juice Wingull sits at a respectable 19 Speed tier, notably creeping 17 Speed LC Staples such as Mienfoo and Onix. Scald can spread Burns just like Mareanie, and it deals respectable damage when coming from Wingull. Hurricane is a powerful and spammable Flying STAB against most teams, dealing huge damage to Pokémon that don't resist it, and the mons that do usually don't outspeed it and get bopped / burned by Scald. Substitute allows me to play some nifty 50/50s against Pawniards, as well as essentially getting one free on Foongus' Spore or Ferroseed's Thunder Wave's faces, or on a predicted switch. You can also use it against the rare Vullabies that get spammy with Brave Bird to weaken them into Hurricane range, but they will more often use Knock Off. I made the decision to let Wingull pack Defog as Scarfed Vullaby really hates locking itself into the move and thus has very little room to do so. Wingull however takes advantage of its ability to force switches to get Defogs off. Out of all the situational abilities Wingull has to offer, Rain Dish was chosen to be able to regain HP if the opponent is playing a Rain Team (which, you know, won't often happen), it is still better than Keen Eye or Hydration to my mind, as Wingull will never really get crippled by an annoying status and Keen Eye is outright useless. Wingull can essentially come in on predicted Ground attacks such as Ponyta's High Horsepower (Flare Blitz still does a ton, but Wingull tanks it from full), or Onix's Earthquake / High Horsepower if you're particularly suicidal, and on Drain Punches from Timburr and High Jump Kicks from Mienfoo (even if this one still does big damage). It also, and most importantly, comes in after the super SlowTurn Mienfoo gives it to deal big damage with little drawbacks.​

All in all, I wanted to share the concept of min speed Mienfoo as it is a bit slept on, to my mind. It has the potential to really support offensive staples (I'm considering a min speed Mienfoo + Abra team) and get them in really easily, which can prove painful for an opponent. I know however that the team I just presented could be far from perfect, so advice is more than welcome.

Thanks for reading this. I hope to see you there in Crown Tundra!

Attachments

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey yo, good team! I think there can be some improvements that help the team fare better against some of the metagame trends.

Issue: There are two main weaknesses I saw from skimming over the RMT. 1) There is a lack of a Flying-resist and 2) The team's counterplay to Grookey is quite weak, especially since you are running double Water-types. For a birdspam team like this, losing to opposing birds and a grass-type is not ideal. Here are my changes that could potentially resolve these issues.

Major Changes:
:Mareanie: --> :Foongus:
Foongus @ Eviolite
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Running double water-types is suboptimal as you will be stacking common weaknesses. Foongus retains the major roles of Mareanie: serving as both a Water- and Fighting-resist and being a regenerator sponge. However, it helps the team far more against Grookey, resisting its STAB moves and Drain Punch, something Ferroseed struggles against. Spore is a good tool to force a sleep fodder and you will still retain Sludge Bomb to hit opposing Vullaby and Spritzee. Also, Foongus is harder to trap then Mare (so thats a plus).

:Ferroseed: --> :Pawniard:
Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Low Sweep / Stealth Rock / Swords Dance / Thunder Wave

Going Foongus over Mareanie means that the team is weak to Flying-types and therefore, will require a dedicated Flying resist. Pawniard provides that and retains the Knock Off support that Ferroseed provides. Sucker Punch helps cover the team's need for priority and helps it soft check Grookey. I left the last slot open with possible moves that you can utilize. I recommend either Low Sweep (to help lure opposing Pawniard) or Stealth Rock (if Mudbray is not reliably setting up Rocks).

Minor Changes:
:Mienfoo: - The current EV spread is a little weird since slow foo is best suited for pairing with a trapper. I recommend change the spread to 76 HP / 196 Def / 196 SpD with a Bold Nature. The Special Defense EVs are helpful against Vulpix, a Pokemon this team can potentially struggle against.

The changes I proposed does make the team a little bit weaker to Fire-types (mostly Vulpix). However, you should be fine playing around them with Wingull and Mudbray plus double priority.

These are all the changes. Hope this was helpful in patching up some of the weaknesses!

Last edited:
Hello Dreamcatcher, thanks for rating this fast and with such good options! Part of me already considered switching Mareanie and Ferroseed to Foongus and Pawniard but I guess I stuck with these two anyway just because I felt too traumatized by opposing Vulpix. With your rate however, I now know that it was the right thing to do! I'm taking these changes into consideration without asking twice, now.

Can I stay on the spirit of the team and keep Mienfoo's Speed IV's to 0, seeing as it gets 11 which means that it still underspeeds most Mienfoos?

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
19 IVs to hit 12 Speed is fine since you would still be slower than regular 13 Speed Mienfoo. At 11, you risk a speedtie with Mareanie. If you dont really care about Mare vs Foo matchup, you can go 11 Speed or even opt for a -Speed nature to reach 10 Speed, guaranteeing that you can get a super slow U-turn against Mare.

Hey I just saw this RMT and I think this team structure is pretty good even with the release of The Crown Tundra DLC.

I agree with the points made by DC and I think qweschuning's idea is great too because the RestTalk set of Mudbray would help a lot vs the Vulpix matchup. I think the slow Foo idea is still potent on a team without trapping to get your birds in safely so it is still 10 speed in the paste here. The only thing I added that wasn't mentioned before is that I put Heat Wave over Rock Smash on Vullaby. Heat Wave does the same amount to Pawniard with a non Special Attack hindering nature and 76 EV's in SpAtk, this also hits Ferroseed harder and can be a tool to avoid activating Weak Armor if needed.

Here is the paste since there was a new one lacking with the updated version
https://pokepast.es/b8215a82eb7d4a35

Hello ojr!

Thank you for the feedback and the paste. I'll be taking these changes into consideration! I have never really tried RestTalk Bray so I don't really know what to think of this set but now seems like a good time to try it! However, I think High Horsepower is better than Earthquake on mons that can have both options because of Grookey at the moment, but that's really me being annoying over something really tiny haha.

Also, sorry qweschuning for not having replied, I had read the message but I may have forgotten to reply. Silly me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)