XY OU GLoRiOUs pAsS

dEnIsSsS

'scuse me while i kiss this guy
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Introduction

Hi, I am the (in)famous troll that turned the Baton Pass Chain strategy into one of the worst nightmares of the Pokemon Competitive scenario. I do have a lot of experience with this kind of team (I've been playing Baton Pass since generation 5 dominating the high ladder of Pokemon Online, the team was: Ninjask, Vaporeon, Espeon, Mr. Mime, Smeargle and Mew). Once generation 6 came out, I had problems with my laptop, and then I was forced to play on Pokemon Showdown (which lagged a lot for me, by the way). I learned a lot about the generation 6 by just playing with Baton Pass. I just realized that Scolipede and Sylveon were truly blessings given from gen 6 to help me with my old generation 5 team. Then I replaced Ninjask for the much better Scolipede (better typing, bulk, Iron Defense, but much slower) and then I realized that I would have to replace Sylveon with one of my previous Pokemon. Vaporeon, Espeon, Smeargle and Mr. Mime have way too specific roles, that no other Pokemon can fill it, so I had to sacrifice Mew, my Special Defense booster for Sylveon, that can also boost SpD (slower than Mew, because it doesn't learn Amnesia), has a very nice and much better defensive typing (resistances to Dark, Bug and immunity to Dragon is just too good for a Baton Pass Chain) and can hit very hard with Pixilate Hyper Voice and Stored Power, allowing Espeon to have a free moveslot for Substitute (no need to use HP Fighting, Signal Beam or Dazzling Gleam). Recently, I realized Zapdos would fit very well on my team too, because it can also contribute with Special Defense boosts via Charge, and it also stops Flying spam. Zapdos offensive pressure is another plus too. So I just replaced Zapdos over Mr. Mime (Perish Song isn't used as much as it was used on Gen 5).

A lot of people just blamed me: they said that I had no skill for using this team, this strategy was cheap and lame, I had no Mega, etc. Once people realized that I was truly successful with this team, they began either using it or including things on their team that could potentially counter it (Haze, mostly). But I really don't care, since I always have a great time playing with Baton Pass teams. Seriously, what do you think about facing an Espeon with +6 Def, +6 SpD, +6 Spe, +6 SpA, behind a Substitute, backed up by a Ingrain + Leftovers recovery (+ Aqua Ring if you consider my Gen 5 team), using a 500 BP Stored Power???

Baton Pass is the only kind of strategy that allows me to exploit the limits of the game: how a Pokemon can boost at its maximum and how much power it can achieve. Also, playing with this team makes me think about the beauty of boosting every turn, getting stronger and relying on team mates to give you more strength to fight. I would like to say that I love to beat counter teams. When I think about the face of my opponent when they lose, even using a Haze Quagsire on a stall team makes me feel SO AMAZING (LOL).

Now it is time to talk about the team. Enjoy it!!!

TEAM OVERVIEW

AL CAPONE (Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 88 HP / 168 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ingrain
- Quiver Dance
- Spore
- Baton Pass​

Ingrain is just awesome. It keeps my chain much more durable, and it is very important when dealing with Haze users, since I need to use Substitute lots of times (2 turns of Ingrain + Leftovers recovery compensate the HP lost when I have to create a Substitute). And of course, Ingrain prevents switch ins, so if my opponent has a Deoxys-D, Red Card becomes useless. Smeargle is immune to Ghost Type attacks, so it has a free switch in against things like Aegislash. It had Encore, a move capable of PP stalling Shadow Ball completely, it can also be an emergency stop to dangerous Swords Dance users, such as Bisharp, Mega Mawile and Aegislash (Focus Sash guarantees its survival, so if they decide to boost, I can lock them with Encore, but if they decide to attack, I can use Spore).
HOWEVER, something happened: the "Baton Pass Boom". There are a lot of new users trying Baton Pass, and I need something to deal with opposing Baton Pass teams. Quiver Dance is a great move, and it allows me to boost faster than I could usually do with just a regular Calm Mind user. Quiver Dance become a staple to this team mainly because of opposing Baton Pass teams, otherwise I would keep using Encore. And also, if Scolipede dies, I have another source of Speed. Each Quiver Dance increases Stored Power Base Power by 60. But I still lost lots of times against opposing Baton Pass teams (mainly those with Quiver Dance Smeargle too), and I had a BRILLIANT idea: Heart Swap. It fits perfectly on a Pokemon like Smeargle, because I can swap all the boosts I have with the opposing Pokemon, and Focus Sash guarantees I can take a hit, and baton passing out to either Sylveon or Espeon to finish the battle. The fact is that with Heart Swap I won't lose to another baton pass team ever again (haha). Heart Swap also turns the table against enemy Quiver Dance Volcarona or Dragon Dance Charizard-X. However, outside of having a 10000% chance to beat other Baton Pass teams, both Encore and Quiver Dance are by far better options (oh really?). After some time, I just remembered about Imprison Musharna, the ultimate Baton Pass counter. So, why not Imprison? I think it is even better than Heart Swap! It can also be used to prevent opposing Calm Mind and Stored Power (if Imprison is passed to Espeon or Sylveon) and Hyper Voice (if Imprison is passed to Sylveon) and I would have another Pokemon immune to Roar (if Imprison is passed to Vaporeon).

Spore is used over Dark Void because it is 100% accurate. Breloom can be a dangerous switch in, but Scolipede will usually be capable of dealing with it via Iron Defense and Substitute (Protect too against Rock Tomb variants). Mandibuzz, Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur are also immune to Spore, but Espeon can usually deal with them: needs one Defense boost to be capable of boosting against Mandibuzz via Substitute + Calm Mind then passing to Sylveon and finishing it off with a Super Effective Hyper Voice, and it can also boost against Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur (killing them with Stored Power). Regular people would usualy run a 252HP/252Spe/4Def Timid Smeargle, but I consider the following EV spread much better. It focus on Smeargle physical defense, since it is a very low Defense stat, and being very weak to priority moves, and on its Speed, important to switch out against dangerous Pokemons, capable of killing Smeargle after its Focus Sash is broken, and the fact it can boost its own speed with Quiver Dance can make it a speedy threat. A fast Spore is always useful too. 88 HP for a magic Leftovers number – if it takes Stealth Rock damage, it needs 2 Ingrain healing turns to get a full HP, so it will be able of using the Focus Sash.

BIN LADEN (Scolipede) (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 240 HP / 80 Def / 188 Spd
Timid Nature
- Iron Defense
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass​

Scolipede itself is a monster, boosting Speed and Defense at the same time is just awesome. 240 HP EVs gives it a 321 HP stat, the highest magic Leftovers number, allows me to use Substitute 4 times (or switch into Stealth Rock 4 times), and if I pass Ingrain, the Ingrain healing will have its max recovery possible. I'm not using max speed because I figured that since Scolipede is a Defense Boosting user, every single Defense point makes a difference:

252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Psycho Cut vs. +2 240 HP / 80 Def Scolipede: 212-252 (66 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Psycho Cut vs. +2 240 HP / 0 Def Scolipede: 234-276 (72.8 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Scolipede also has a great bulk to deal with surprising scarf users, such as Landorus-T without any Defense boost:
252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 240 HP / 80 Def Scolipede: 238-282 (74.1 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

188 Spe gives it a 337 speed stat, enough to outspeed Jolly Garchomp, Max speed Charizard and Deoxys-S after one speed boost. I will always use Substitute on the 1st turn against Charizard. If it is Mega Charizard-X, I will either sub stall until it decides to set up Dragon Dance (in that case I can use Iron Defense or I have a free switch to Vaporeon), if it is Mega Charizard-Y I can stall the sunlight with Sub + Protect. Being slower than Charizard is very dangerous. Otherwise I think a 240HP/252Def/16SDef Bold would be even better.

Mental Herb is my only chance against the Prankster users. I will usually try to pass a +2 Def and a +2 Spe to Espeon, so I can boost with Calm Mind (even against some physical attackers, and if Espeon is weakened, I can use Smeargle and Sylveon as back ups.

AL QAEDA (Vaporeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 64 Spd
Bold Nature
- Acid Armor
- Roar / Scald
- Substitute
- Baton Pass​

Vaporeon is probably the best Defense Booster that learns Baton Pass: better than Scizor, because it doesn't have a 4x weakness, better than Mawile, that is weak to Ground and Fire (popular physical attacking types) and lacks Leftovers for recovery, better than Mew (it isn’t weak to U-turn and Knock Off). Vaporeon is just weak to Grass and Eletric (can even set up on Ferrothorn and Kyurem-B). It also has a huge HP stat, allowing me to stall out Seismic Toss Chansey. I can also maximize my Defense stat, or give another Pokemon a free switch by passing a Substitute. +6 Defense means 120 base power increase on Stored Power base power too.

Roar negates all attack boosts from every single Attack booster that might try to overpower me (Scizor and Mawile... they can't do this...). Scald is another solid option over Roar, because Vaporeon is lacking any offensive move, so it is extremely vulnerable to Taunt. Vaporeon also has a great Special Attack, and Scald has the chance to cripple physical attackers. It is a viable option as long as you have another teammate with great physical bulk that also learns Roar (Zapdos).

With Scolipede, Zapdos and Smeargle support, it can take on every single Physical attacker on the OU tier. Scolipede aids with its own Iron Defenses, Speed Boosts and Substitute, while Smeargle guarantees the use of Spore, gaining some turns of advantage, depending how lucky I am.

192 HP for the highest magic leftovers number(449). Max Def because Vaporeon's main duties are tank physical hits, boost Defense with Acid Armor and phaze physical attackers, with 64 Spe EVs, and +2 Speed it outspeeds max speed base 115, important to outspeed Mega Pinsir, Landorus, Thundurus, Infernape, Terrakion, Gengar, Lati@s, etc.

DON CORLEONE (Espeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SDef / 56 Def
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
200 HP for the highest magic leftovers number. I need Max Special Defense so I can check Taunt Heatran, Thundurus, Gardevoir and even Gengar (if passed a boost or a Substitute) decently. It has the bulk to set up Calm Mind against many special attackers. Remaining EVs go on Defense.

Espeon is very weak on the physical side, that means a Defense boost will be of utmost importance in order to check Hippowdown, Skarmory, Mandibuzz and Ferrothorn (Scolipede can pass Defense boosts with ease, so no problem here). If Smeargle has passed Ingrain, Espeon won't need to check Hippowdown and Skarmory anymore too.

4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. +2 200 HP / 56 Def Espeon: 84-99 (26.1 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. +2 200 HP / 56 Def Espeon: 76-90 (23.6 - 28%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. +2 200 HP / 56 Def Espeon: 74-90 (23 - 28%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. +2 200 HP / 56 Def Espeon: 85-102 (26.4 - 31.7%) -- 22.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

YAKUZA (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 216 HP / 208 SDef / 84 Spd
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Hyper Voice
- Baton Pass​

216 HP for the highest magic leftovers number. 84 Speed EVs and +2 Speed allow it to outspeed anything slower than base 112. Remaing EVs on Special Defense, because Sylveon's main job is to be capable of taking special attacks and boost with Calm Mind.

I will be forced to sweep with Sylveon if my opponents team has a Dark type and a Ground Type Pokemon. I need Stored Power over Substitute because the combination of Heatran / Chansey / Unaware Clefable / Unaware Quagsire + Dark Type Pokemon can actually PP stall me out. The combination of Stored Power and Pixilate Hyper Voice can destroy absolutely everything in this game (bar Shedinja).

--------------------------

When I used to play without Zapdos, I had to use Espeon and Sylveon as supporters AND sweepers, and they did a great job because they had a great mixed bulk (Espeon had max Defense and Sylveon had 188 Def EVs and not 208 SDef EVs). Now they are focused on Special Defense, so they are vulnerable to priority moves, so I have to use them more as supporters from now (they will just sweep if given the opportunity).

LUCIFER (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Charge / Roar
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Max HP will let him have a 384 HP stat, a number divisible by 16. It isn't good or bad, because it takes max Stealth Rock damage, but it won't lose 1HP per turn if it is burned even with leftovers + Ingrain recovery or after a Substitute + 2 turns of Leftovers + Ingrain recovery. 28 Special Attack EVs seems random, but they are used to increase the chance to OHKO Mega Pinsir with Thunderbolt without any SpA boost and Thundurus after a Charge boost.
0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 258-306 (94.8 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
28 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 264-312 (97 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Zapdos Charge boosted Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 282-333 (94 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
28 SpA Zapdos Charge boosted Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 289-342 (96.3 - 114%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Remaining EVs go on Defense, so it will be a very bulky mixed wall if passed a Defense boost, and Zapdos itself boosts Charge (that also increases SpD). Roar is just used if I'm using Scald Vaporeon (Zapdos, being as bulky as Vaporeon can phaze very well).

---------------------​

Baton Pass, the best play style.. ever?
THREAT LIST

Haze
To deal with the move Haze, I must set up the move Ingrain, since it basically gives me the sustain to stall my opponent by using defensive boosting moves and abusing the move Substitute (2 turns of Ingrain + Leftovers recovery make up for the HP lost to create a Substitute). If possible, I try to prevent them from laying entry hazards, because it causes constant damage to every single switch in, and if I'm really dealing with a Haze user, I must abuse the Baton Pass to switch out multiple times.
Its important to know how much damage a Haze user takes from my boosted attacks. Here are some important damage calculations about Quagsire, the most popular Haze user:

0 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 195-231 (49.4 - 58.6%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery <= Quagsire can't switch in safely on Sylveon, fearing the 2HKO, this might give me opportunity to set up a Calm Mind or predict a switch in.

0 SpA Espeon Stored Power (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery <= Quagsire can't switch in safely on Espeon if it has just four boosts (can be 2 Calm Minds, 2 Quiver Dances, 1 Iron Defense + 1 Speed Boost + 1 Calm Mind). The Espeon user must predict the Quagsire switch in by attacking it, otherwise it will be able to tank the Stored Power and use Haze, then recovering its own health for future Haze opportunities.

0 SpA Espeon Stored Power (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 382-451 (96.9 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO <= Espeon needs at least 9 boosts in order to OHKO Quagsire. This can be achieved pretty easily with the Espeon, Sylveon and Smeargle core. Every one of these Pokemon has a way to intimidate it (Espeon can 2HKO after 4 boosts, Sylveon has Hyper Voice and Smeargle can Spore it).

0 SpA Sylveon Stored Power (340 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Unaware Quagsire: 375-442 (95.1 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO <= if Quagsire is paired with a Dark Type Pokemon, I will be forced to sweep with Sylveon. If I really have to OHKO Quagsire with it, I will need 16 boosts. It is hard to reach such a high number of boosts, but it is possible.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-119037709
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-97474408
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-105078374
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-107592633
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-109759431
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110739069
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-114278996
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116805109
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-115962222
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-112580774 <= noob player using Haze Murkrow haha
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126707149
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126728015

Sableye
Sableye is annoying because it restricts my Baton Pass Chain in a 4 Pokemon chain: Scolipede, Espeon, Sylveon and Smeargle. Because of its priority Taunt, Vaporeon (lacking Scald) and Mr. Mime won't help me too much, because if Sableye uses Taunt against them, my chain is rendered useless, since they won't be able to Baton Pass all the boosts out again. It is immune to Stored Power, but weak to Hyper Voice.
I must guarantee Scolipede provides me a +2 Def and +2 Spe boosts, and if possible, I try to set up Ingrain with Smeargle (it is very dangerous, because if I try to set up and they predict it, bringing Sableye, Taunt will make me lose the match, however, Sableye must fear the move Spore). With +2 Def and +2 Spe (and a possible Ingrain), Espeon and Sylveon will have to boost with Calm Mind and try to sweep the opposing team themselves. If +2 Def is all they need to tank my opponents physical attacks, I will win.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-103575918
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-107473514
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-107474361
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-121051196

Zapdos can help me too since it can set up with Charge, and it doesn't fear being Taunted:
+1 0 SpA Zapdos Charge boosted Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 331-390 (108.8 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 4 SpA Vaporeon Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 133-157 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery <= Sableye users would hate any Vaporeon with Scald

Thundurus
Probably the most annoying Pokemon a Baton Pass team has to face. Priority Taunt, Thunderwave and Nasty Plot are all very dangerous to my team. Taunt works on the same way I described Sableye match-up, priority Thunder Wave can be used to the opposing team to exploit my types weaknesses (for example, If Thundurus paralyzes Sylveon, a strong Iron Head user, such as Bisharp or Aegislash can be fatal), and Nasty Plot raises its Special Attack to a very dangerous level, capable of dealing truly high damage. To deal with it, Sylveon is usually the key of my success. Hyper Voice is strong move even unboosted. The following calculations are important to know:

0 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 165-195 (55 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <= Sylveon forces Thundurus to switch out. This might give me the opportunity to bring Scolipede and get a +2 Def, +2 Spe.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 216 HP / 208+ SpD Sylveon: 117-138 (30.3 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery <= Sylveon is very capable of taking Thundurus attacks, but must be careful of any switch in the opposing team might do.

252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 157-186 (40.8 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery <= Zapdos can help me against non LO Thundurus with Taunt + Thunder Wave

28 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 145-172 (48.3 - 57.3%) -- 49.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery <= Zapdos can hurt Thundurus as well!

Nasty Plots sets (without Taunt) are stopped by Sash Spore Smeargle. Even if the Nasty Plot set has Taunt, it is STILL POSSIBLE to play mind games with it. Sometimes we need to sacrifice stuff if we really want to win against this dangerous set.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-90884843 - Taunt + Nasty Plot Life Orb
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-101637640 - Taunt + Nasty Plot
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-111963570 - Nasty Plot (no Taunt)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-101637640 - Taunt Life Orb (with Swords Dance Mega Scizor support)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116238338 - Taunt with SD mega Scizor
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116223182
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-119044694 - Taunt Thunderwave + Belly Drum Azumarill
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-119919762 - Taunt Nasty Plot Life Orb + SD Mega Mawile
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-119815762
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-119745461

Mega Gardevoir
I must be careful to not lead with Scolipede since Gardevoir has Trace before it mega evolves. If it traces Speed Boost, I might get overwhelmed by its speed and power.

Specially Defensive Espeon and Sylveon can take Taunt Gardevoir's attacks decently.

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Espeon: 171-202 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. +1 200 HP / 252+ SpD Espeon: 114-135 (35.5 - 42%) -- 85.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 216 HP / 208+ SpD Sylveon: 142-168 (36.8 - 43.6%) -- 99.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. +1 216 HP / 208+ SpD Sylveon: 94-112 (24.4 - 29%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Calm Mind Gardevoir is a huge problem because Gardevoir has a great Special Attack and Special Defense. It resists Stored Power, and also 2HKOs Vaporeon without any SpA boost! That means it will be impossible to phaze Gardevoir after one Calm Mind boost. 1 Calm Mind is just enough to sweep my whole team. My only hope is Sash Spore with Smeargle, then Roar with Vaporeon.

+1 252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 357-421 (79.5 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 238-282 (53 - 62.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 333-393 (86.4 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Clefable
If this thing has the ability Unaware I'm pretty screwed.

+1 4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 154-183 (34.2 - 40.7%) -- 51.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery <= for every time I try to phaze Clefable with Vaporeon, I will lose a considerable ammount of HP. I will need Ingrain for healing otherwise Clefable will murder my whole team.

0 SpA Espeon Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Unaware Clefable: 382-451 (96.9 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO <=Espeon need at least 12 boosts in order to OHKO a Clefable without any boost

Talonflame
Choice Band Talonflame is its main set, and probably the one that deals better against Baton Pass chains.

Zapdos resists Brave Bird and can OHKO Talonflame with Thunderbolt. It means that it will always force Talonflame to switch out (if it is locked on Brave Bird). This might give me the opportunity to set up a Substitute.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Zapdos: 93-111 (24.2 - 28.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

But I will still have to set up Defense boosts because Talonflame can come in at any time and attack with Brave Bird.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 200 HP / 56 Def Espeon: 325-384 (101.2 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 334-394 (86.7 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

With a single Defense Boost, all this team can actually do something and not getting worried about getting hit by a priority Brave Bird.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-119358514
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116670252
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-117314121
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-115810128
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-117527582
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-117493566
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-118794438

Mega Mawile

Mega Mawile is even more powerful than Mega Pinsir, because since it was designed to be a bulky tank, it can afford to run a attack boosting nature, since it does not care about being fast. It also resists Stored Power and Hyper Voice. However, the lack of a priority move that works when you really need it (Sucker Punch is disappointing, sometimes) makes it much easier to deal, compared to Mega Pinsir. Scolipede resists its main STAB: Fairy, with ease and Vaporeon, its other STAB: Steel. By combining Scolipede, Vaporeon and Smeargle, I can handle all Mega Mawile sets, the Swords Dance set being the most dangerous set, no doubt.

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. +4 192 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 183-216 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery <= thanks to Smeargle's Spore, and Scolipede1s Iron Defense and Substitute, I will usually have more boosts than Mega Mawile (unless they just keep using Swords Dance). If it had Encore, things would be even easier. Vaporeon can phaze it if I have more boosts than Mawile

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. +2 192 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 136-162 (30.2 - 36%) -- 44.2% chance to 3HKO <= If Mega Mawile lacks Swords Dance, Vaporeon can tank its moves pretty comfortably

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. +4 192 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 93-109 (20.7 - 24.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO <= I can Sub + Acid Armor stall

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-103806581 - Swords Dance Mega Mawile
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-115322267 - Swords Dance Mega Mawile
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110402453 - (no Swords Dance )Mega mawile + Thunder Wave / Nasty Plot Thundurus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-118783099
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-118800166
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-119918767

+1 0 SpA Zapdos Charge boosted Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 364-430 (119.7 - 141.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO <= Zapdos can OHKO Mega Mawile even at early game!

Gengar
Its dual STAB is very dangerous: Sludge Bomb destroys Sylveon, Mr. Mime and Smeargle, while Shadow Ball is devastating to Espeon, Scolipede and Mr. Mime. It usually carry Taunt, a move capable of taunting even myself (the player Denissss). Being extremely frail and weak to Stored Power will make it fear Espeon and Sylveon, even at early game.

+1 0 SpA Sylveon Stored Power (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 296-350 (112.9 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO <= 2 speed boosts + 1 Calm Mind

0 SpA Espeon Stored Power (80 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 272-324 (103.8 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO <= 3 speed boosts

All I have to do is guarantee Gengar doesn't switch in safely. If Espeon or Sylveon are on the field, I don’t have anything to be worried about. Gengar will die if it stays. Smeargle is immune to Shadow Ball, but if it switches on Sludge Bomb it can still provide me momentum with its Sash Spore technique. Vaporeon has the bulk to take 2 non LO Sludge Bombs and phaze Substitute sets with Roar.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-109732909
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-109725051
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-114301566
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-114964191
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126664441

Zapdos is not weak to Gengar STABs, so I can set up at least one Charge boost and even OHKO Gengar if I need.

Ditto
I always need to be careful to not increase Stored Power's base power at a point to be capable of destroying my own Espeon. If Ditto transforms into Espeon, and steal boosts enough to OHKO it, I would be in huge trouble. I always try to set up Ingrain while trying to control the match by setting up Substitutes, boosting Defense, getting FEW Calm Minds and phasing with Vaporeon, whenever I need. Ditto lack of recovery (no Lefties and Ingrain) and low HP stat gives me an advantage. If I find an opportunity to sweep the opponents team when Espeon is behind a Substitute, I will win.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116369825
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-105270011

I will try to not set up one single Calm Mind. Charge will be my only source of Special Defense Boosts (mainly because Stored Power is very dangerous). If my opponent has a very powerful special attacker or a very bulky special wall, I think that won't be possible (I will be forced to use Calm Mind).

Choice Specs Magnezone
Resistance to Stored Power, STAB Thunderbolt, high SpA, Modest nature (+SpA - Atk) and a decent bulk is very annoying for a team without Mew. I have 2 or 3 Calm Minders, possibly a Charge Zapdos and possibly a Quiver Dance Smeargle, so the only way Magnezone can win is spam Thunderbolt and hope to get a crit.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116241131
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116247882
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-119360820

Belly Drum Azumarill

Zapdos is the key to kill a Belly Drum Azumarill. If they lead with it, Scolipede has to set up a Substitute while they use Belly Drum. If Scolipede is behind a Substitute, it can use Protect, to grab another Speed boost, and finally pass to Zapdos, that is capable of surviving a +6 Aqua Jet:

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Zapdos: 259-306 (67.4 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

28 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 288-342 (84.4 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO <= Speedy Azumarill will lose for sure, even after Sitrus Berry being consumed

Deoxys-D with Seismic Toss + Taunt
Ingrain can help a lot, preventing Red Card from working, and it also helps Espeon's survivability.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116220049
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116230014

VolTurn

Ingrain would definitely help here. Scolipede can set up Iron Defenses on Rotom-w and Mega Manetric, if you really need that Defense Boost.. lol

4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 169-199 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 274-324 (85.3 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO <= very low chance to OHKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116672602

Zapdos is a boss here, can provide me Charge boosts with ease against any Volt Switch or U-Turn user (except Landorus-T).

Other Baton Pass Chains

Diggersby
Huge, huge problem here. The Swords Dance set is the only one that really makes me fear this huge beast. I will usually lead with Scolipede and start with Iron Defense.

#1 Scenario considering ADAMANT nature (some people use Jolly)
Turn 1 - Scolipede uses Iron Defense, Diggersby uses Swords Dance
Turn 2 - Scolipede uses Iron Defense, Diggersby attacks
Turn 3 - Scolipede uses Baton Pass, Diggersby attacks Vaporeon

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. +4 240 HP / 80 Def Scolipede: 188-224 (58.5 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. +4 192 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 185-218 (39.8 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery <= Vaporeon can phaze

0 SpA Vaporeon Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Diggersby: 234-276 (75 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <= Vaporeon also has the option to kill Diggersby after 2 turns of LO recoil

#2 Scenario:
turn 1 - Scolipede uses Iron Defense, Diggersby uses Swords Dance
turn 2 - Scolipede uses Iron Defense, Diggersby uses Swords Dance
turn 3 - Scolipede uses Baton Pass, Diggersby attacks Vaporeon or uses Swords Dance

If Diggersby attacked Vaporeon:

+4 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. +4 192 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 274-325 (61 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I would be forced to attack Diggersby with Scald, but he would survive it. Considering that Diggersby needs to attack Vaporeon at least 2 times, it would die from LO recoil. Both Diggersby and Vaporeon are dead now. At least I would have a full health Scolipede to provide me at least one Iron Defense boost afterwards.

If Vaporeon lacks Scald, I would sacrifice either Sylveon or Zapdos, Smeargle would have to Sash Spore Diggersby, then Vaporeon would phaze it.

If Diggersby used Swords Dance and did not attack, Vaporeon (with full HP) has to stall Diggersby LO recoil with Substitute twice, then finishing it with Scald.

If Vaporeon lacks Scald, it can also phaze it:

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. +4 192 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 367-433 (81.7 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sheer Force Landorus
When fighting against Landorus, I can't let him have a free Calm Mind, Stealth Rock or Substitute. If they lead with with, my Scolipede has always to begin with Substitute. If they use Calm Mind, I can baton pass out to Smeargle, that is capable of using Spore, use Quiver Dance (until they wake up), survive any attack from Landorus (thanks to Focus Sash), and finally Baton pass out to either Espeon, Sylveon or Vaporeon. Stealth Rock is very annoying because it breaks Smeargle's Focus Sash. So I usually Baton Pass out to Sylveon, that is capable of boosting with Calm Mind with ease. Espeon has to be careful with Knock Off, that's why it isn't my main Landorus check.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 216 HP / 208+ SpD Sylveon: 153-183 (39.7 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 216 HP / 208+ SpD Sylveon: 221-260 (57.4 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. +1 216 HP / 208+ SpD Sylveon: 103-122 (26.7 - 31.6%) -- 25.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. +1 216 HP / 208+ SpD Sylveon: 146-174 (37.9 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Zapdos: 192-227 (50 - 59.1%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. +3 252 HP / 4 SpD Zapdos: 78-92 (20.3 - 23.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126737586

Tyranitar
Choice Band: 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. +2 240 HP / 96 Def Scolipede: 272-324 (84.7 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO <=I have a great chance of surviving after one Iron Defense. Vaporeon can set up on Tyranitar with +2 Def +1 Spe. But Stone Edge has a high critical hit ratio, and I'm very unlucky.. lol

Mega Dragon Dance: it is also a huge problem thanks to Stone Edge high critical hit ratio. But Vaporeon usually stops it by using Acid Armor and phazing it or killing it with Scald.

Stealth Rock: it is a huge problem if it is paired with Haze users. Sandstorms damage + Stealth Rock damage will limit the number of switch ins considerably, and it is usually hard for Smeargle to set up the Ingrain.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-117528702

Random Taunt and Roar users
Mega Gyarados:

Taunt: Zapdos and Sylveon are capable of forcing it to switch out. Scolipede can provide me a +2 Def +1 Spe at least once.
Roar: Ingrain prevents Roar no matter what.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-124856466

Tyranitar: really hard to deal with Taunt sets, but it is possible to play mind games with it. Espeon can come in at any time and bounce back the Taunt, but must be careful with Crunch of even Stone Edge. Once I manage to bounce back the Taunt, I can bring Vaporeon/Scolipede and boost with Acid Armor/Iron Defense. Smeargle can also force it to switch out and provide me that precious Ingrain.

Bisharp: same thing.

Rain
If Politoed has Perish Song, I would be in huge trouble. Otherwise it is not a problem.

Zapdos and Sylveon can deal with Tornadus-T.
Zapdos survives Kabutops' LO Stone Edge and OHKO it back with Thunderbolt, Vaporeon can set up Acid Armor and attack with Scald.
Choice Specs Kingdra is walled by Vaporeon + Sylveon.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126730980

Volcarona
252 SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 216 HP / 208+ SpD Sylveon: 84-99 (21.8 - 25.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 216 HP / 208+ SpD Sylveon: 126-148 (32.7 - 38.4%) -- 3.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sylveon is my main Volcarona check, since it is able to set up with Calm Mind even with Volcarona's extreme ease to get Special Attack boosts via Quiver Dance + Fiery Dance.

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Zapdos: 220-259 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 264-312 (58.7 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vaporeon and Zapdos have the bulk to phaze Volcarone reliably.

OTHER OPTIONS
EV spreads
252HP/252Def/4SDef Bold - some people think that speed is useless on Vaporeon. Being slower than Thundurus and Life Orb Latios even with +2 Speed isn't a good thing. 464 HP stat isn't a magic leftovers number either.

252HP/252SDef/4Def Calm- this EV spread makes Sylveon VERY bulky on the Special side, but it is very slow (slower than timid Landorus, even with +2 Speed) and has a bad HP number (takes max damage when switching into Stealth Rock, loses 1HP per turn even with its Leftovers + Ingrain recovery when burned).

216HP/208Def/84Spe Bold - It is better when fighting against Tyranitar and Life Orb Latios. It can also take priority moves such as Brave Bird and ExtremeSpeed much better.

240Spe Timid - it will outspeed Max Speed base 110. That means Scarf Latios can't Trick you anymore.

240HP/252Def/16SDef Bold - I really don't want to be slower than Charizard.

Zapdos can use 16 Speed EVs, so it will outspeed max speed Adamant Cloyster. And it can also use 76 Special Attack EVs, so it will have a guaranteed OHKO on Mega Pinsir at +0 SpA, and Thundurus with a Charge boost.

Importable
http://pastebin.com/ydEctr4z - Vaporeon with Scald, Zapdos with Roar

http://pastebin.com/yqzYfrmV - Vaporeon with Roar, Zapdos with Charge

http://pastebin.com/nkjsCegM - Mr. Mime team

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)