First OU Team

Intro Hey guys, Young Gun here with my first RMT and one of my first posts on this site. I've long stalked these forums hoping to gain some knowledge to build a solid team and after a while of battling and making various switches and changes I've come with this final version of the team. I realize that there are many holes in this team and hope that you guys can help me as I am not a very experienced/good battler. Anyways, here's the team!

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Iron Head
- U-Turn
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

Cobalion often leads the team off, getting SR up and then paralyzing what it can before it is taken down. It has fantastic physical bulk and if need be can tank Outrages like a champ. Thunder Wave is very useful as it stops set up sweepers in their tracks and allows slower mons like Conkeldurr and Tyranitar to outspeed and KO opposing mons without taking damage.

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Very standard CB TTar. He has great synergy with Conkeldurr and Keldeo as he takes Psychics aimed at them and can often trap and KO many of the pesky Psychic/Ghost type mons that can be a pain. He is also very useful because he provides sand for the team. Although none of the team really benefits from the sand, it is their in order to keep Sun/Rain teams from abusing their weather. That being said, it is not vital to win the weather war for this team to have success.

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]

EB Keldeo is personally my favorite set. The EB belt is great at bluffing a Choice Item and often allows Keldeo to KO mons who think he will be locked in on a resisted move only to be surprised as he switches and KOs them with the correct supereffective move. Although there's a noticable power drop in using EB>LO on this set I believe the bluffing of a choice item is far more beneficial. HP Electric>Bug because I'd rather hit water types than Celebi hard.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Mach Punch

Sheer Force Conkeldurr is a phenomenal pokemon and has easily become my favorite mon to use since I entered the competitive battling scene. For some reason, battlers still don't know this set and often switch in a Jellicent against Conk only to be KO'd by a ThunderPunch. Drain Punch recovers LO damage and is a very good move boosted by STAB. Mach Punch allows me to pick off weakened mons easily. Ice Punch and ThunderPunch form the famous BoltBeam combo and hit many mons supereffectively. Overall, this has been a very fun mon to use and often nets many KO's per battle.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

LO Latias is another mon that has become a favorite of mine since I began battling. It is a great check to sun teams and most special attackers. Roost increases the longevity of Latias by a lot and is a great move on this set. Draco Meter is the main STAB move and hits everything that isn't a steel hard, although I usually have to switch Latias out after using it once. HP Fire allows me to hit Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory hard which is very beneficial for this team as they would otherwise become a nuisance. Psyshock helps me deal with Opposing Keldeo and Terrakion. 112 HP allows me to tank Sludge Bomb from Venosaur and then KO back with Psyshock. Latias has become a very crucial member to this team as it covers many threats.

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earthquake

SubToxic Gliscor is probably one of the most annoying mons to face in the game of Pokemon. The main thing Gliscor does for this team is patch up the Jirachi weakness. Without Gliscor this team is destroyed by Gliscor. Gliscor can also take status moves for the team with the Toxic Orb activated. Gliscor also helps this team deal with bulky waters with Toxic. As much as I've liked using Gliscor, I feel he slows down the offensive momentum of the team considerably. I am very open to changing him if you guys have any suggestions.

Changes in red, will update descriptions later if I have time.

Conclusion As I've mentioned, Im relatively new to the competitive battling scene and can use all of your guys help as I can get. None of the mons on this team places are set in stone so Im willing to change anyone. Thanks for reading!​

Problems

Like I mentioned, with Gliscor down Jirachi and Bulky Waters are a pain for this team. Another thing that worries me is the lack of a scarfer, I just havent found anyway to fit one in. Toxicroak can also be a pain. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Hello, I haven't got that much time so I'll make this short. I see a huge psychic weakness if Tyranitar is taken down. To at least patch this hole up a little, I would recommend that you replace Cobalion with Registeel. Registeel can spread paralysis and has way better defenses than Cobalion. You have plenty of fighting types so Cobalion's Close Combat will not be missed. Keldeo has Icy Wind and Conkledurr has Ice Punch so Cobalion's Hidden Power Ice will also not be missed.

Since Gliscor is already physically defensive. I would suggest using this set for Registeel.

252 Hp/ 4 Att/ 252 SpD
Calm (+SpD, -SpA) or Adamant (+Att, -SpA)
Clear Body
Leftovers

Iron Head
Thunder Wave
Earthquake
Stealth Rock

With this set, Registeel can also paraflinch select pokemon to death.

Good Luck!

first glance-
This team is really designed poorly, Alakazam completely wrecks this team due to your common psychic type weakness, +the moves he usually runs just destroys the rest of your team, Latias is 2HKO'd by shadowball, Gliscore is OHKO'D by HPICE if he's not running that, 2HKO'D by psychic. Team also lacks speed which can easily be beaten by boosting speed demons, "in other words dragonite" this team just has alot of flaws.

Theory's/In depth
I don't see why cobalion has to be a sitting duck on this team, you say you lead with him but most people can counter lead with Infernape, or Politoad, or Ninetails, even scarfed T-tar. Just alot of common things out there that can counter lead you, I don't see why you don't just have Jirachi or Lucario for both of those pokemon just outclass cobalion "hence why he's uu".
T-tar is just silly to me, you said he takes psychics like a champ, but most psychics carry focus blast and you said he traps them even though you're not scared and have low speed investment you're not going to be outspeeding most psychics or ghosts. I'm thinking you should re-roll a support set, or a mixed set.
Conkeldurr is a mon I'm not understanding well, your team is already slow so you make it even slower with Conkeldurr. You said that he gets rid of Jelicent which nobody really uses anymore because of Ferrothorn, Conkeldurr doesn't really give the team synergy since he shares the same weakness to a common type in ou and that's what I'm not understanding is putting him there knowing that.
Ok Latias has to take the cake for confusing me, why pick offensive Latias when you can take Latios who is better in the roles you're trying to make Latias fill. They both basically do the same thing except they don't, Latias is meant to be defensive and Latios offensive.
Gliscore is completely walled by Sub/DD gyarados or anything that can resist EQ and sub, nuffsaid.....

Changes/suggestions-
Cobalion-
Switch him with

Nature-Careful @leftovers
Evs- 252hp/236SDF/20spee
~Iron head
~Thunder
~Wish
~Protect/U-turn
Jirachi NEEDS to replace Cobalion because without Jirachi in its place there's to much synergy you're missing out on, wish/U-turn can be really viable for wish passing, and thunder is there to take care of politoad and spread status.

Tyranitar-
Reroll this set
Nature-Mild @Focus sash
Evs- 4attck/252SpA/252spee
~Crunch
~Fire blast/Low kick
~Icebeam
~Stealth rock
This is lead Tyranitar, because you're going to be leading with him, this set is much more viable for taking care of Scizor, Garchomp, Ferrothorn, Breloom, and Landorous-T because most people don't run this set and they won't see it coming. Since your team is really offensive I reccomend using this set.

Conkeldurr-
Replace with

Nature-Modest @Choice Scarf
EVs- 112hp/160SpA/236spee
~Overheat/Magma storm
~Earth power
~HP-ICE
~Flamethrower
Heatran is going to be your scarfer/steel type, it will roast K-B with overheat+SR and take care of most threats that can threaten your team. Will outspeed Garchomp and Tornadus pumping them with juicy HP ice's. Flamethrower is its reliable stab having perfect accuracy and having a high amount of usage.

Gliscore-
Reroll this set
Nature-Adamant @Flying gem
Evs- 252attck/4def/252spee
~Swords dance
~Acrobatics
~Earthquake
~Substitute
This set goes along with your offensive synergy, acrobatics+SD+flying gem from this guy will almost OHKO any pokemon in OU, EQ for dual stab, and sub to shut down those Jirachis. Poison heal is there for switching in on toxic.

That's all I have for you, hope you found my tips helpful.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Young Gun! Cool team! I'm a big fan of SF Conkeldurr :D

There are a few issues with this team, but none that can't be fixed. Most of them are simply small changes. The first problem is that you lack a good revenge killer. Your Keldeo is Expert Belt, so it can't revenge kill the things the Scarf set can. That's fine though, because I think EBelt actually fits the team better than Scarf. As akuto mentioned, you also have a pretty nasty weakness to Alakazam, which is a huge pain to take down for almost any team. It can do serious damage to Keldeo, Cobalion, Tyranitar, Conkeldurr, and Gliscor (if it has HP Ice, which most do nowadays). Latias can tank a Shadow Ball and KO if its Sash is broken, but that's unlikely to happen unless you sac Conkeldurr and break it with Mach punch. You also have issues with hazards setters like Forretress, which can set up a few layers of hazardsa and you have no way of spinning them. Ferrothorn can also be a bit difficult to take out, since you need to use either Conkeldurr (which can only 2HKO) or Latias (which hates T-wave).

The first two issues can be fixed if you use Choice Scarf Jirachi over Cobalion. Choice Scarf Jirachi makes a great addition to your team. Like Cobalion, it can keep momentum well with U-turn, which is super important, because it lets you get Conkeldurr and Keldeo in more easily. It can also use Scarf Iron Head to completely hax wins out of your opponent, but hey, who's complaining? Ice Punch is used to revenge kill stray Dragonite that can be annoying if it gets to +1. The main selling point though, I think, is Healing Wish. Conkeldurr gets worn down pretty easily since it has terrible speed and usually has to take a hit before it can hit back. It also hates random Scald burns since it doesn't have Guts. Healing Wish lets you get conkeldurr (or Keldeo, or Latias or whoever) in for free AND heals them to full HP/gets rid of their status inflictions! That is a huge boost to Conkeldurr, who likes to break holes in teams, as well as clean up late game, but usually can't do both. With healing Wish, he gets a second chance at life, and can wreck teams when they are weakened while he sits pretty at full.

You now have no SR setter, and you still have problems with Forretress/Ferrothorn, I suggest a change in your Tyranitar set. I would use Chople Berry Tyranitar over your Banded set. This set can still take out Latias, Latios, and Celebi that wall Keldeo as well as Reuniclus, Alakazam, and Gengar that give Conkeldurr trouble. With Chople Berry, you can bluff the Choice Band and lure in Pokémon that think they can KO you with a fighting type move. Then you can nail them with Crunch or Pursuit for the KO. Fire Blast is a good last move because it gives you a way to deal with Forretress and Ferrothorn, OHKOing the first and doing serious damage to the second. Last, but certainly not least, Tyranitar can set up SR for you pretty reliably since it is a great special tank.

Finally, if you feel like Gliscor is slowing down your momentum too much, you could try Landorus-T in its place, but I think with Jirachi you now have much MUCH more momentum, and the change isn't entirely necessary. If you do use it, I would run 220 HP / 68 Def / 220 Spe with an Impish nature. that lets you outrun Toxicroak, which can otherwise run right through your team at +2, especially if Conkeldurr is weakened. If Toxicroak doesn't seem like a big problem, then Gliscor is fine, or you could use Zen Headbutt over Iron Head on Jirachi (but I wouldn't)

Oh, and use Timid on latias. Otherwise you get outrun by things like Keldeo, Terrakion, Garchomp, Thundurus-T and even Volcarona and Salamence. You need to out-speed all of those.

Anyway, I hope I was able to help. I like the team a lot. Good luck, and let me know how things work out!

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 220 HP / 220 Spd / 68 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Toxic / Hidden Power [Ice]

Modest--->Timid

Thank you for the rate Halycon! All your suggestions look like they'll work out great and Im going to give them a try now! Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)