Deoxys-Attack (QC 3/3) [GP 2/2]

52+ Atk Life Orb Kakuna Bug Bite vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-A: 242-283 (100.41 - 117.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO

skeleton:
[Overview]

-OHKO'd by pretty much everything
-Can OHKO a large part of the metagame
-Ultimate glass cannon
-Amazing coverage

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Psycho Boost
move 2: Dark Pulse / ExtremeSpeed
move 3: Superpower / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Protect
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
nature: Rash
evs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

-OHKOs much of the metagame
-Can still OHKO Pokemon even after Psycho Boost drop
-Psycho Boost ridiculously powerful STAB move
-Dark Pulse hits Latias / Latios which resist Psycho Boost, as well as Cresselia and Reuniclusit provides, which is useful since Deoxys-A cannot take a hit
-ExtremeSpeed can be used over Dark Pulse due to the priority
-Superpower hits Steel-types, as well as Tyranitar
-Hidden Power Fire is an option over Superpower, and can KOs Steel-types such as Genesect and Scizor that Superpower cannot (run 240 Speed for HP Fire and take 4 EVs out of Attack)
-Protect is always solid, and helps Deoxys-A avoid Fake Out, which can render Deoxys-A useless

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

-Focus Sash guarantees Deoxys-A will live a hit if its at full health (bar multi-hit moves)
-Life Orb works better on sandstorm teams / teams without weather control since Focus Sash will be broken by sand / hail (Life Orb also allows Deoxys-S to get KOs on Pokemon such as Heatran that it would not be able to otherwise)
-Rash nature powers up Special Attack (SDef lowering doesn't matter since Deoxys-A isn't going to be taking any hits regardless)
-EVs max Special Attack and Speed
-Stealth Rock can be used over Protect and can come in handy against certain teams, but Protect is usually superior since Fake Out is a major problem (also Protect is always useful in Doubles)
-Ice Beam can be used over Dark Pulse, retaining coverage on Latios and Latias (but not Cresselia and Reuniclus), while hitting Dragon-types such as Dragonite harder
-ExtremeSpeed can be nice since it is Deo-A's only priority move, and can hit hard thanks to Deo-A's massive Attack
-Deoxys-A can Protect if its partner uses Explosion (it also has Focus Sash to survive it), making them solid partners
-Follow Me / Rage Powder partners can be good since Deoxys-A can KO most of the tier by itself
-Wide Guard support can also work (Hitmontop)
-Hitmontop is also a good partner since it has access to Fake Out and Feint, which can break Focus Sash and Protect, respectively
-Tailwind support is helpful due to Deoxys-A's extreme frailty, so Pokemon such as Tornadus can be helpful
-Taunt users can also be good partners since they can help Deoxys-A avoid Thunder Wave / Trick Room

[Other Options]

-Deoxys-A can use Thunder / Thunderbolt to hit Water-types, but Psycho Boost can KO them anyway
-Substitute can be very useful, but is hard to get up
-Taunt
-Dual Screens are better left to other Pokemon
-Rock Slide is a solid spread move for Deoxys-A
-An all special variant can be used with Psycho Boost / Ice Beam / HP Fire / Protect

[Checks and Counters]

-Hitmontop can be a problem, as it can use Feint on Deoxys-A's protect (which it would use predicting Fake Out)
-Tyranitar and Abomasnow can break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash
-Priority (Scizor, Metagross, etc.)
-Choice Scarf Users (Jolly Landorus-T, Genesect)
-Trick Room, Tailwind
-Cresselia and Reuniclus can tank a Dark Pulse and KO Deoxys-A
-Bulky Steel-types can also tank hits from Deoxys-A and KO back (Metagross, Bronzong)
-Spread moves can be nice to KO Deoxys-A while dealing damage to its partner, and the reduced power will not make a difference since Deoxys-A can't take any hits
-Jirachi can also be a major problem because of Follow Me
-Scrafty
-Bisharp
-Thundurus-I's Twave
-Swift Swim pokemon

[Overview]

<p>A Pokemon with godlike defenses rivaling those of Shuckle and a phenomenal HP stat that puts even Blissey to shame... this is the complete opposite of Deoxys-Attack. A dismal HP stat with pathetic defenses means that Deoxys-A will be OHKOed by almost every Pokemon in the game; it is the ultimate glass cannon. However, despite its pathetic durability, Deoxys-A's offensive prowess makes it a truly threatening behemoth. Base 180 attacking stats with unparalleled coverage and a 140 Base Power STAB move in Psycho Boost means that it can OHKO most of the metagame. Deoxys-A is truly a legend that all teams should be prepared to face.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Deoxys-A's raw power and phenomenal coverage in the most effective way possible. STAB Psycho Boost can KO most of the tier, and can still do major damage to the opposition even after the Special Attack drop it causes. Dark Pulse can work well against Psychic-types, such as Cresselia and Reuniclus, that resist Psycho Boost. However, ExtremeSpeed can also work; as Deoxys-A's lone priority move, it can work well to KO weakened Choice Scarf and priority users. Superpower lets Deoxys-A annihilate Dark-types, such as Tyranitar, and Steel-types; Hidden Power Fire also works in this slot, however, letting Deoxys-A hit Scizor and Genesect while foregoing its ability to hit Tyranitar and other Dark-types as hard. Finally, Protect is key in the last slot, allowing Deoxys-A to block opposing Fake Outs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash is key on this set, as it allows Deoxys-A to take any hit despite its low defenses. However, Life Orb can also be a useful item, as it can help Deoxys-A get key KOs on Pokemon such as Heatran that it could not otherwise. Life Orb is a better choice on sand and hail teams, as well as teams without weather control, as sand and hail will render Deoxys-A's Focus Sash worthless anyway. The EVs take full advantage of Deoxys-A's offensive prowess, with enough Speed investment to move before Jolteon and Scarf Cloyster; Rash nature maximizes its Special Attacking power. Stealth Rock can be used over Protect and can work against teams with Pokemon such as Thundurus, but Protect's versatility makes it a more reliable option. Ice Beam can be used over Dark Pulse, retaining coverage on Latias and Latios, while gaining super effective coverage on Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Garchomp, but its inability to hit Reuniclus and Cresselia super effectively means it is usually a worse option.</p>

<p>Deoxys-A appreciates a partner that minimizes the opponent's chance to retaliate. Thus pairing Deoxys-A with a powerful priority user, such as Bisharp, or a speedy Sweeper; such as Life Orb Darkrai, Genesect, or Volcarona, is recommended. The aforementioned teammates also offer powerful Fire-, Dark-, or Bug-type offenses to combat troublesome Steel- and Psychic-types, potentially freeing up one of Deoxys-A's moveslot for a different type of coverage or utility move, such as Ice Beam or ExtremeSpeed. Pokemon with Follow Me or Rage Powder, such as Jirachi, Togekiss, and Volcarona, can also be good partners, as Deoxys-A can OHKO most of the tier by itself. Hitmontop is also a very good partner due to its access to Wide Guard, which can block spread moves, Feint, which can break Protect, and Fake Out, which can leave potentially dangerous threats vulnernable to being OHKOed by Deoxys-A. Speed control is also very important when using this set due to Deoxys-A's pathetic bulk, so Pokemon that can use Tailwind, such as Tornadus, can be a big help; Tornadus also has access to Prankster Taunt, which can stop the opposition from using moves such as Thunder Wave and Trick Room which would render Deoxys-A useless.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Deoxys-A's wide movepool means that it has a large amount of other options. For example, it can use Thunder or Thunderbolt to hit Water-types; however, Psycho Boost can usually OHKO them regardless. Substitute can make Deoxys-A a monster, but is very difficult to get up safely. It also has access to Taunt to stop the opposition from trying to paralyze it or set up Trick Room. Rock Slide is an option as well, being Deoxys-A's only spread move, but the coverage moves provided usually work much more effectively. Finally, an all-out Special variant of Deoxys-A can be used with Psycho Boost / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire / Protect, but a mixed set usually works better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hitmontop can use Fake Out to break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash, and also has access to Feint to break Deoxys-A's predicted Protect. Tyranitar and Abomasnow can break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash with their respective weather abilities, making them solid answers to it. Priority users such as Breloom and Scizor can also be great answers to Deoxys-A, especially if it is not carrying a Focus Sash. Bulky Steel-types, such as Metagross and Bronzong, can also be a problem, as they can tank Superpower and Hidden Power Fire and KO Deoxys-A in return. Spread moves can also pose a major problem to Deoxys-A, as the reduced power will not matter due to Deoxys-A's frailty. Jirachi can tank any of Deoxys-A's hits easily, and can redirect its attacks with Follow Me. Scrafty can lower its attack and KO Deoxys-A with Crunch, while Bisharp can kill it with Sucker Punch. Swift Swim Pokemon can also defeat Deoxys-A easily. Cresselia and Reuniclus can tank a Dark Pulse from Deoxys-A and KO it in return. Finally, Thundurus-I can Thunder Wave Deoxys-A and effectively neutralize it; Pokemon with Tailwind or Trick Room can also render Deoxys-A useless.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
-Follow Me / Rage Power support can be nice since Deoxys-A can KO most of the tier by itself, so Pokemon such as Togekiss or Amoonguss can be good partners

fm/rp are virtually useless for deo-a because its koed by most icy winds, a much better support option is Fake Out (fake out whatever deo-a doesn't target that turn)

espeed is also an option, being deo's only priority move and still pretty strong

Dark Pulse > Shadow Ball. Flinches are far more relevant than the special defense drop.
sry my bad
I had Dark Pulse originally but I checked the Smogon dex and it said it couldn't learn it. Should have just used TIBot on IRC smh

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I personally disagree, since a lot of teams don't run that many spread moves (and no, most Icy Winds do not KO it, but breaks Sash which is the actual problem), so Follow Me 7 Rage Powder can be a great idea.

· I think you should make the spread fit that of a Mixed Attacker and Slash Life Orb. This is how I think the set should look:

[SET]
move 2: Dark Pulse / ExtremeSpeed (1)
move 3: Superpower / Hidden Power Fire (2)
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb (3)
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

1: ESpeed is good priority; definitely worthy of a placement on a standard set.
2: Usually, Superpower hits T-Tar. Huge merit, would personally use it over HP Fire most of the time (since isn't affected by Psycho Boost drop)
3: Life Orb is to 1) nab KOs on things such as Heatran with S-Power and Garchomp with Psycho Boost (plus anything a little bulkier than Chomp that is hit neutrally) and 2) Sand is everywhere, so it can now fit weatherless, and even Sand teams better. Focus Sash is still standard for teams with weather control (Drizzle Teams, Sunny Day Cress, etc).

· Remove the so strong doesn't need LO part from AC because 1) LO actually helps it score a lot of KOs that it wouldn't execute without the boost and 2) it should now be listed under the actual set.

· Also mention the whole Life Orb is for teams without weather control part.

· Mention bulky steel types in general being able to live hits (and obviously OHKO back it's frickin Deoxys-A) in checks and counters.

I'll stamp this if it looks good after you make the changes :)

i'd mention somewhere that having speed control (tailwind, avoiding tr and para, etc.) is super important for deoxys-a, because it cant take hits for its life

this is also why i think extremespeed should be in the set in case you lose speed control as well as to beat a choice scarf/priority user.

cresselia and jirachi should be in c&c. dark pulse doesn't hurt cress that much (and especially extremespeed) while cresselia can use icy wind to break deo-a's sash and slow him down for another mon to pick off, or cripple him with thunder wave. jirachi can do the same, but takes quite a bit from hidden power fire.

i also agree with laga that superpower should be over hidden power fire. the two biggest 4x fire weaks, genesect and scizor, threaten deoxys-a enough to make it risky to try and hit them with it, while ohkoing tyranitar is important.

edit: metagross also does pretty well vs hidden power fire-less deoxys-a and can smack it hard with bullet punch.

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does Deoxys-A really need max Speed? I dont think max Speed is important other than speed-tying other neutral Spe Deoxys-A. I prefer 236 Spe EVs (395 Speed), which is just enough to outrun base 130 / Scarfed Cloyster, and dump the extra 20 EVs into Atk. You can mention max Spe @ Naive Nature under AC to speed tie with other Deoxys-A.

Under your HP Fire description, remind people to bump up Deo-A's Speed EVs to 240 if we're going with my suggested spread.

Although I haven't tried this myself, any thoughts on Substitute? I'd reckon Deoxys-A behind a Sub can be terrifying. Granted, its main moves lower its offensive capabilities, but it's still hitting for a shitton even after the drop with LO; Deo-A doesn't last long anyways.

Last edited:
K added all the changes. Substitute seems decent if Deoxys-A can actually get it up without it being broken on the same turn, which may be difficult. Also there's the issue of not really having a slot for it. I personally think it is OO material but if any one else has opinions on it that would be great ;p

There is a lot of Other Options, Additional Comments, add all that, so I may have missed it, but I don't see Rock Slide mentioned anywhere. On Deoxys-Attack, it makes a nice spread move, and is even more effective given Deoxys's massive speed and a nifty 30% flinch rate. Definitely at least something worth noting in OO. I'm also thinking we should have a Physical Attacker and Special Attacker set here as well, but that's just me.

Added Rock Slide. I don't think a split is necessary since I feel that Mixed just works better almost all of the time, but that's just me. Anyone have any opinions? ;o

You should include the Special Variant, at least as an OO.

Same EVs, but Boost/Ice Beam/HP Fire/Protect

While some see it as inferior, the coverage it gets is peerless, and there's nothing any Intimidate can do about it. While it loses out against Heatran for lack of Superpower, it's definitely a very powerful Lead.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
NEVERMIND, I misread something's max speed stat :/

Edit: in other, more positive news;

QC Approved 1/3

Last edited:
k so I asked Oglemi and he said it is not necessary to Max Speed just to speed tie with Max Speed variants of the Pokemon unless it is extremely important.Since Deoxys-A is #144 in usage, it does not really seem important. Therefore, I am going to stick with Pocket's spread.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok some things that should happen:
  • Get rid of mention of Spikes in OO. Spikes are legit useless (Stealth Rock can serve some purpose but normal Spikes are doin jack shit)
  • Deoxys-A has Taunt so that should definitely be mentioned somewhere
  • Will second the inclusion of Substitute somewhere, likely OO since as you said getting it up can be difficult but once you do it's pretty great
  • Say how Follow Me/Rage Powder users make amazing partners as Pwnemon suggested (letting it not be forced to take a hit is always great)
  • Add Scrafty, Bisharp, Swift Swim Pokemon (in rain), Excadrill (in sand), Thundurus (ruins it w/ T-Wave) as checks
  • Say how in conjunction w/ another powerful Poke or Hitmontop or something you form a lead combination that is awesome at putting the opponent under huge amounts of pressure
Beyond these seems p. nice, Deoxys-A is pretty straightforward so it should be good

QC 2/3

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>A Pokemon with godlike defenses rivaling those of Shuckle and a phenomenal HP stat that puts even Blissey to shame... this is the complete opposite of Deoxys-Attack. A dismal HP stat with pathetic defenses means that Deoxys-A will be OHKO'ed by almost every Pokemon in the game; it is the ultimate glass cannon. However, despite its pathetic durability, Deoxys-A's offensive prowess makes it a truly threatening behemoth. Base 180 attacking stats with unparalleled coverage and a Base 140 STAB move in Psycho Boost means that it can OHKO most of the metagame. Deoxys-A is truly a legend that all teams should be prepared to face.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Deoxys-A's raw power and phenomenal coverage in the most effective way possible. STAB Psycho Boost can KO most of the tier, and can still do major damage to the opposition even after the Special Attack drop it causes. Dark Pulse can work well against the Psychic-types, such as Cresselia and Reuniclus, that resist Psycho Boost. However, ExtremeSpeed can also work, being; as Deoxys-A's lone priority move, it can work well to KO weakened Choice Scarf and priority users. Superpower lets Deoxys-A annihilate Dark-types, such as Tyranitar, and Steel-types; Hidden Power Fire also works in this slot, however, letting Deoxys-A hit Scizor and Genesect while foregoing its ability to hit Tyranitar and other Dark-types as hard. Finally, Protect is key in the last slot, allowing Deoxys-A to block opposing Fake Outs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash is key on this set, as it allows Deoxys-A to take any hit despite its low defenses. However, Life Orb can also be a useful item, as it can help Deoxys-A get key KOs on Pokemon such as Heatran that it could not get otherwise;. Life Orb is also a better choice on sand and hail teams, as well as teams without weather control, as sand and hail will render Deoxys-A's Focus Sash worthless anyway. The EVs take full advantage of Deoxys-A's offensive prowess, and a Rash nature maximizes its Special Attacking power. Stealth Rock can be used over Protect, and can work against teams with Pokemon such as Dragonite, but Protect's versatility utility makes it a more reliable option. Ice Beam can be used over Dark Pulse, retaining coverage on Latias and Latios, while gaining coverage on Pokemon such as Dragonite and Garchomp, but its inability to hit Reuniclus and Cresselia means it is usually a worse option.</p>

<p>Pokemon with Explosion can be good partners for this set, thanks to Deoxys-A's access to Protect (it also has Focus Sash to survive any hit). Pokemon with Follow Me or Rage Powder, such as Jirachi, Togekiss, and Volcarona, respectively, can also be good partners, as Deoxys-A can OHKO most of the tier by itself. Hitmontop is also a very good partner due to its access to Wide Guard, which can block spread moves, Feint, which can break Protect, and Fake Out, which can leave potentially dangerous threats vulnernable to being OHKO'ed by Deoxys-A. Speed control is also very important when using this set due to Deoxys-A's pathetic bulk, so Pokemon such as Tornadus that can use Tailwind can be a big help; Tornadus also has access to Prankster Taunt, which can stop the opposition from using moves such as Thunder Wave and Trick Room which would render Deoxys-A useless.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Deoxys-A's wide movepool means that it has a large amount of other options. For example, it can use Thunder or Thunderbolt to hit water-types; however, Psycho Boost can usually OHKO all of those regardless. Substitute can make Deoxys-A a monster, but is very difficult to get up safely. It also has access to Taunt to stop the opposition from trying to paralyze it or set up Trick Room. Dual Screens are also an option, but due to dDeoxys-A's pathetic bulk, there are better Pokemon for the job. Rock Slide is an option as well, being Deoxys-A's only spread move, but the coverage moves provided usually work much more effectively. Finally, an all-Special variant of Deoxys-A can be used with Psycho Boost / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire / Protect, but a Mixed set usually works better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hitmontop can use Fake Out to break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash, and also has access to Feint to break Deoxys-A's predicted Protect. Tyranitar and Abomasnow can break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash with their respective weather abilities, making them solid answers to it. Priority users such as Breloom and Scizor can also be great answers to Deoxys-A, especially if it is not carrying a Focus Sash. Bulky Steel-types, such as Metagross and Bronzong, can also be a problem, as they can tank Superpower and Hidden Power Fire and KO Deoxys-A in return. Spread moves can also pose a major problem to Deoxys-A, as the reduced power will not matter due to Deoxys-A's frailty. Jirachi can tank any of Deoxys-A's hits easily, and can redirect its attacks with Follow Me. Scrafty can lower its attack and KO Deoxys-A with Crunch, while Bisharp can kill it with Sucker Punch. Swift Swim Pokemon can also defeat Deoxys-A easily. Cresselia and Reuniclus can tank a Dark Pulse from Deoxys-A and KO it in Rreturn. Finally, Thundurus-I can Thunder Wave Deoxys-A and effectively neutralize it; Pokemon with Tailwind or Trick Room can also render Deoxys-A useless.</p>

[Overview]

<p>A Pokemon with godlike defenses rivaling those of Shuckle and a phenomenal HP stat that puts even Blissey to shame... this is the complete opposite of Deoxys-Attack. A dismal HP stat with pathetic defenses means that Deoxys-A will be OHKOed by almost every Pokemon in the game; it is the ultimate glass cannon. However, despite its pathetic durability, Deoxys-A's offensive prowess makes it a truly threatening behemoth. Base 180 attacking stats with unparalleled coverage and a Base 140 STAB move in Psycho Boost means that it can OHKO most of the metagame. Deoxys-A is truly a legend that all teams should be prepared to face.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Deoxys-A's raw power and phenomenal coverage in the most effective way possible. STAB Psycho Boost can KO most of the tier, and can still do major damage to the opposition even after the Special Attack drop it causes. Dark Pulse can work well against the Psychic-types, such as Cresselia and Reuniclus, that resist Psycho Boost. However, ExtremeSpeed can also work; as Deoxys-A's lone priority move, it can work well to KO weakened Choice Scarf and priority users. Superpower lets Deoxys-A annihilate Dark-types, such as Tyranitar, and Steel-types; Hidden Power Fire also works in this slot, however, letting Deoxys-A hit Scizor and Genesect while foregoing its ability to hit Tyranitar and other Dark-types as hard. Finally, Protect is key in the last slot, allowing Deoxys-A to block opposing Fake Outs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash is key on this set, as it allows Deoxys-A to take any hit despite its low defenses. However, Life Orb can also be a useful item, as it can help Deoxys-A get key KOs on Pokemon such as Heatran that it could not get otherwise. Life Orb is a better choice on sand and hail teams, as well as teams without weather control, as sand and hail will render Deoxys-A's Focus Sash worthless anyway. The EVs take full advantage of Deoxys-A's offensive prowess, and a Rash nature maximizes its Special Attacking power. Stealth Rock can be used over Protect, and can work against teams with Pokemon such as Dragonite, but Protect's versatility makes it a more reliable option. Ice Beam can be used over Dark Pulse, retaining coverage on Latias and Latios, while gaining coverage on Pokemon such as Dragonite and Garchomp, but its inability to hit Reuniclus and Cresselia means it is usually a worse option.</p>

<p>Pokemon with Explosion can be good partners for this set, thanks to Deoxys-A's access to Protect (it also has Focus Sash to survive any hit). Pokemon with Follow Me or Rage Powder, such as Jirachi, Togekiss, and Volcarona, respectively, can also be good partners, as Deoxys-A can OHKO most of the tier by itself. Hitmontop is also a very good partner due to its access to Wide Guard, which can block spread moves, Feint, which can break Protect, and Fake Out, which can leave potentially dangerous threats vulnernable to being OHKOed by Deoxys-A. Speed control is also very important when using this set due to Deoxys-A's pathetic bulk, so Pokemon such as Tornadus that can use Tailwind can be a big help; Tornadus also has access to Prankster Taunt, which can stop the opposition from using moves such as Thunder Wave and Trick Room which would render Deoxys-A useless.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Deoxys-A's wide movepool means that it has a large amount of other options. For example, it can use Thunder or Thunderbolt to hit water-types; however, Psycho Boost can usually OHKO all of those regardless. Substitute can make Deoxys-A a monster, but is very difficult to get up safely. It also has access to Taunt to stop the opposition from trying to paralyze it or set up Trick Room. Dual Screens are also an option, but due to Deoxys-A's pathetic bulk, there are better Pokemon for the job. Rock Slide is an option as well, being Deoxys-A's only spread move, but the coverage moves provided usually work much more effectively. Finally, an all-Special variant of Deoxys-A can be used with Psycho Boost / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire / Protect, but a Mixed set usually works better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hitmontop can use Fake Out to break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash, and also has access to Feint to break Deoxys-A's predicted Protect. Tyranitar and Abomasnow can break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash with their respective weather abilities, making them solid answers to it. Priority users such as Breloom and Scizor can also be great answers to Deoxys-A, especially if it is not carrying a Focus Sash. Bulky Steel-types, such as Metagross and Bronzong, can also be a problem, as they can tank Superpower and Hidden Power Fire and KO Deoxys-A in return. Spread moves can also pose a major problem to Deoxys-A, as the reduced power will not matter due to Deoxys-A's frailty. Jirachi can tank any of Deoxys-A's hits easily, and can redirect its attacks with Follow Me. Scrafty can lower its attack and KO Deoxys-A with Crunch, while Bisharp can kill it with Sucker Punch. Swift Swim Pokemon can also defeat Deoxys-A easily. Cresselia and Reuniclus can tank a Dark Pulse from Deoxys-A and KO it in return. Finally, Thundurus-I can Thunder Wave Deoxys-A and effectively neutralize it; Pokemon with Tailwind or Trick Room can also render Deoxys-A useless.</p>

[GP 1/2] (ugghh manually)

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
@ShakeItUp

GP Check
Add
Remove
Comments

[Overview]

<p>A Pokemon with godlike defenses rivaling those of Shuckle and a phenomenal HP stat that puts even Blissey to shame... this is the complete opposite of Deoxys-Attack Deoxys-A. A dismal HP stat with pathetic defenses means that Deoxys-A will be OHKOed by almost every Pokemon in the game; it is the ultimate glass cannon. However, despite its pathetic durability, Deoxys-A's offensive prowess makes it a truly threatening behemoth. Base 180 attacking stats with unparalleled coverage and a Base 140 Base Power STAB move in Psycho Boost means that it can OHKO most of the metagame. Deoxys-A is truly a legend that all teams should be prepared to face.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Deoxys-A's raw power and phenomenal coverage in the most effective way possible. STAB Psycho Boost can KO most of the tier, and can still do major damage to the opposition even after the Special Attack drop it causes. Dark Pulse can work well against the Psychic-types, such as Cresselia and Reuniclus, that resist Psycho Boost. However, ExtremeSpeed can also work; as Deoxys-A's lone priority move, it can work well to KO weakened Choice Scarf and priority users. Superpower lets Deoxys-A annihilate Dark-types, such as Tyranitar, and Steel-types; Hidden Power Fire also works in this slot, however, letting Deoxys-A hit Scizor and Genesect while foregoing its ability to hit Tyranitar and other Dark-types as hard. Finally, Protect is key in the last slot, allowing Deoxys-A to block opposing Fake Outs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash is key on this set, as it allows Deoxys-A to take any hit despite its low defenses. However, Life Orb can also be a useful item, as it can help Deoxys-A get key KOs on Pokemon such as Heatran that it could not get otherwise. Life Orb is a better choice on sand and hail teams, as well as teams without weather control, as sand and hail will render Deoxys-A's Focus Sash worthless anyway. The EVs take full advantage of Deoxys-A's offensive prowess, and a Rash nature maximizes its Special Attacking power. Stealth Rock can be used over Protect,(RC) and can work against teams with Pokemon such as Dragonite, but Protect's versatility makes it a more reliable option. Ice Beam can be used over Dark Pulse, retaining coverage on Latias and Latios, while gaining coverage on Pokemon such as Dragonite and Garchomp, but its inability to hit Reuniclus and Cresselia means it is usually a worse option.</p>

<p>Pokemon with Explosion can be good partners for this set,(RC) thanks to Deoxys-A's access to Protect (it also has Focus Sash to survive any hit). Pokemon with Follow Me or Rage Powder, such as Jirachi, Togekiss, and Volcarona, respectively, ("respectively" doesn't work here because the subject ratios are different.) can also be good partners, as Deoxys-A can OHKO most of the tier by itself. Hitmontop is also a very good partner due to its access to Wide Guard, which can block spread moves, Feint, which can break Protect, and Fake Out, which can leave potentially dangerous threats vulnernable to being OHKOed by Deoxys-A. Speed control is also very important when using this set due to Deoxys-A's pathetic bulk, so Pokemon such as Tornadus that can use Tailwind, such as Tornadus, can be a big help; Tornadus also has access to Prankster Taunt, which can stop the opposition from using moves such as Thunder Wave and Trick Room which would render Deoxys-A useless.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Deoxys-A's wide movepool means that it has a large amount of other options. For example, it can use Thunder or Thunderbolt to hit water-types Water-types; however, Psycho Boost can usually OHKO all of those them regardless. Substitute can make Deoxys-A a monster, but is very difficult to get up safely. It also has access to Taunt to stop the opposition from trying to paralyze it or set up Trick Room. Dual Screens are also an option, but due to Deoxys-A's pathetic bulk, there are better Pokemon for the job. Rock Slide is an option as well, being Deoxys-A's only spread move, but the coverage moves provided usually work much more effectively. Finally, an all-Special all-out special variant of Deoxys-A can be used with Psycho Boost / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire / Protect, but a Mixed mixed (set names aren't?capitalized anywhere except under the [SET] tags) set usually works better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hitmontop can use Fake Out to break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash, and also has access to Feint to break Deoxys-A's predicted Protect. Tyranitar and Abomasnow can break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash with their respective weather abilities, making them solid answers to it. Priority users such as Breloom and Scizor can also be great answers to Deoxys-A, especially if it is not carrying a Focus Sash. Bulky Steel-types, such as Metagross and Bronzong, can also be a problem, as they can tank Superpower and Hidden Power Fire and KO Deoxys-A in return. Spread moves can also pose a major problem to Deoxys-A, as the reduced power will not matter due to Deoxys-A's frailty. Jirachi can tank any of Deoxys-A's hits easily, and can redirect its attacks with Follow Me. Scrafty can lower its attack and KO Deoxys-A with Crunch, while and Bisharp can kill it with Sucker Punch. Swift Swim Pokemon can also defeat Deoxys-A easily. Cresselia and Reuniclus can tank a Dark Pulse from Deoxys-A and KO it in return. Finally, Thundurus-I can Thunder Wave Deoxys-A and effectively neutralize it; Pokemon with Tailwind or Trick Room can also render Deoxys-A useless.</p>

Great job :D

GP Approved 2/2

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for not helping out with this analysis much - I removed some questionable stuffs like Explosion, Dual Screens in OO, and mentions of Dragonite. Added a bit on teammate section. Otherwise, uploaded :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)