D/P Scarf Magmortar .

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Flame Body
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Magmortar has excellent Special Attack and a varied movepool but only mediocre speed, which makes it a prime candidate for a Choice Scarf. Unfortunately, with a base speed of 83, ScarfMortar falls just short of the 403 Spd needed to match Adamant Choice Scarf Heracross. However, it still manages to outspeed and KO many noticeable threats such as Starmie and Weavile.</p>

<p>Coming off of 383 SpA, a STAB Fire Blast will put a dent in almost everything it hits, but the 85% accuracy can spell doom for something as frail as Magmortar. Flamethrower has a much better hit rate but the sacrifice in power is very notable - Fire Blast is guaranteed the KO against a 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar if it hits, whereas Flamethrower will never KO without a critical hit (doing 95% at best). Because of this one reason, Fire Blast could become the preferred STAB move, if only to get rid of enemy Gengars.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt is the move that distinguishes it from many other Fire type pokemon and deals with Water types trying to soak up a Fire Blast. HP Ice will take out any Dragons you may encounter, and Focus Blast allows Magmortar to have an easy OHKO on Tyranitar, who scorns at the other attacks on this set. It will also allow you to better deal with opposing Heatrans which might come in to steal a Flash Fire boost. However, like previously mentioned, a pokemon with as low defences as Magmortar should be extremely cautious when throwing around low accuracy attacks such as Focus Blast. More often than not the 70% accuracy will come and bite Magmortar right back, and so Focus Blast should be used with discretion.</p>

<p>The combination of Fire, Electric and Ice attacking types gives Magmortar great coverage - the only pokemon that will resist all three of Magmortar's attacks is Lanturn, which is a rare sight in OU. ScarfMortar functions as an excellent lead, taking out many other common leads such as Bronzong, Azelf, Gyarados and non-Scarf Gengar. Once this is done Magmortar can be saved until the late game to attempt a sweep once the opponent's team is sufficiently weakened.</p>

<p>Although Magmortar has a decent 95 base Atk and access to Cross Chop, it is not worth running on this set for the simple reason that without a Life Orb and a decent amount of Atk EV investment, he will come nowhere near to 2HKOing Blissey. Focus Blast still does forgettable damage to her, but it plays off his large SpA to take out other Fighting-weak threats as mentioned.</p>

<p>The 4 "extra" EVs are not placed in HP because they would give Magmortar an even HP, which means that it would die on the fourth switch into Stealth Rock.</p>

However, it still manages to outspeed and KO many noticeable threats, Starmie and Weavile to name but a few.
A little awkward. I suggest

"However, it still manages to outspeed and KO many noticeable threats, such as Starmie and Weavile."

The last slot is up to preference. Flamethrower and Fire Blast are options if you want to attempt a sweep with Magmortar late-game where you don't want to have to repeatedly switch, and are an obvious case of power vs accuracy
I would change the "vs" to "versus", that looks tidier.

Instead they are pumped into SpD to further bolster its already impressive base 95 SpD.
This makes it look like that one extra point of SpD make a significant difference, but it really doesn't, so the fact that the point shouldn't go in HP is enough.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
[SET]
name: ScarfMortar
move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Focus Blast
ability: Flame Body
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
ivs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
Scarf Magmortar doesn't want two fire attacks or rather, Overheat. Being choice scarved, it can outspeed most OU threats and therefore allowing it to send out two Fire Blast (one on the switch-in) is stronger than taking two consecutive Overheat. The only thing overheat should be on is SpecsMortar imo.

Focus Blast is wanted for Tyranitar who would otherwise counter you every single time. Sandstorm indirect damage and SR isn't very nice.

As for the set comments, go with what Mekkah suggested.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is mostly personal preference, but can you replace the name with something that sounds less... cheesy? "Scarf(last syllable of Pokémon)" rarely works and is usually just annoying. I'd personally prefer "Choice Scarf" as the name of the set.

You could run Timid to hit 270...

Since 83 Speed is such an odd number, running 30 Speed for HP Ice isn't a bad thing as it doesn't lower Defenses and everything's still outsped. Either way, you really don't need to list HP Ice's IVs; in-game people won't have it or already know them, and in Shoddy Battle and Competitor (whenever that's out...) it's automatic.

Again, write out "Choice Scarf Heracross".

Fire Blast is the preferred STAB move on mast Fire types because it averages more damage than Flamethrower. This isn't a special case just because of Gengar. You should explain that.

Emphasis on how Focus Blast does jack shit to Blissey is worth mentioning.

Legacy Raider

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
AJC - Thanks, but i know that and have included it in my analysis. You must have misread or something because I say that the HP is made odd to survive Stealth Rock.

Mekkah - Made the changes, thanks for pointing them out.

Junior - I agree that Overheat could be replaced with the other Fire attack, and have changed it in my analysis. I guess I've become too used to running Overheat on my Magmortar so that influenced my analysis lol. Thanks for pointing out this major change, much appreciated.

Chris is me - I've edited the parts with the name amalgamations. I thought ScarfMortar sounded cheesy as well but I didn't know what else to call it. I've also added a paragraph highlighting Scarf Magmortar's complete failure in taking on Blissey.
I've left the Fire Blast / Flamethrower choice open because of Fire Blast's limited PP. If it is going to be used as the primary sweeping move you may want to have more than 8 PP on it. However, I agree that Fire Blast is generally more useful. Thanks a ton.

You could always use Focus Punch to OHKO blissey, Tar, and Heatran switch ins couldn't you? I think it could be listed next to Focus Blast as an option.

Focus Punch won't be OHKOing Blissey, especially not with this EV set-up. Heatran is extremely doubtful as well. I also think it somewhat negates the point of using Choice Scarf. I'd rather use Focus Blast.

Legacy Raider

The best damage this Magmortar could do to a Blissey would be if you ran a Mild nature instead of Modest and put 40 EVs into Atk (which would still leave it 1 Spe point ahead of Weavile) - this would do a maximum of 61% damage to Bold Max Def Blissey. However, you would be locked into using Focus Punch and unless Blissey doesn't attack you will be forced to switch.

Another problem is that the above Focus Punch will never OHKO a 40 HP/ 0 Def Modest Heatran (73% max). On the other hand, Focus Blast has a 50% chance of killing the same Heatran when Stealth Rock is factored in, and also allows you to use Focus Blast on the next turn to finish it off.

Focus Punch is a valid option to do respectable damage to a Blissey switch in, but I don't think it is very feasible on a Scarfed Special Attacker. But I'll take your word for it and add it to the analysis and put in some damage calcs. Ta.

What about Cross Chop? It doesn't even require prediction and he can change the EV Spread to:

252 SpA / 216 Attack / 40 Speed
Mild Nature
- Cross Chop
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Now 40 Speed with a Scarf should net you 413 whichs beats Choice Scarf Heracross. Cross Chop should OHKO blissey with SR, seriously hurt Heatran if not OHKOing and seriously hurt Snorlax.

Legacy Raider

40 EVs with Scarf only gives you 318 Spe. Magmortar will never outspeed Heracross with a neutral nature since its base speed is 2 points lower.

A Cross Chop from the 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe Mild Magmortar will do 40% - 47% with a Cross Chop to Max Def Blissey (not factoring in Leftovers). This will very very rarely be a 2HKO when Cross Chop's accuracy and Leftovers are factored in.

An advantage of running 252 Spe is that it will outrun Choice Scarf Adamant Dragonite (as well as one that has pulled off a DD), which could otherwise be a problem.

I just realized what mistake I made. I added on 63 more points to Magmortars speed then I should have.

Disregard all my posts.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just wanted to pop in and say that i watched a battle with legacy today and saw the set first hand. I'm totally going to back this as I saw it surprise some pokes and I think took down two altogether. The one thing that it did lost to was Blissey which utterly walled it. I think if this set is going to work, you need to mention the fact that Blissey needs to be removed before Mort comes in or at low enough health that you can Focus Blast it.

Cool set; two thumbs up ^_^

Legacy Raider

Thanks matty =). Yeah, Blissey is a right pain in the butt, but Magmortar certainly has the surprise factor going for it. Since it is BL it doesn't see nearly as much play as a lot of other pokemon, and so people don't really know what to expect from it. And when they see it outspeed and OHKO their Dragonite/Garchomp/Bronzong/Gengar/Weavile/etc, their face just goes like ='(.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not going to lie, I think Focus Blast is essentially useless on Magmortar. You don't want to risk its 2HKO on Heatran simply because on average you will not hit twice in a row.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf Magmortar
move 1: Fire Blast / Overheat
move 4: Earthquake / Cross Chop
nature: Hasty
evs: 48 Atk / 248 SpA / 212 Spe

This allows you to hit Lanturn, Tentacruel and Heatran for guaranteed 2HKOs, whereas the original set did not.

How much does Earthquake do to Tyranitar (I'm guessing its a 3HKO)? That's my main concern about leaving out Focus Blast. Dropping Focus Blast and making the last slot a choice between Cross Chop and Earthquake might be a better option.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'll edit Cross Chop, but note that both Focus Blast and Cross Chop are 2HKOs on 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar (with Focus Blast being a OHKO only if it rolls maximum damage, .7 *.0256 lol)

I would never keep Magmortar in regardless, because Cross Chop's chance to 2HKO is only 64%, and Focus Blast's is only 49%.

I realized that worrying about Tyranitar was not worth it, as not only did you have to predict correctly, but you had to hope you did not miss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)