D/P Choice Scarf Slaking .

Ill be back in 2-3 hours and will switch the HP evs to Defense.

Thanks for pointing that out maddog

Return should definately be a primary option. I couldn't disagree more that its not needed. Anything 2Xs weak to one of your well predicted attacks is going to be hit harder by Return anyway. Since Earthquake is on the set, I wouldn't worry much about steel types ruining your fun. So what do you want to hit 4Xs effective? Gyarados - Thunderpunch, Salamence (if your revenging, Return will probably kill him anyway), Garchomp (carry Yache, so Return does nearly 80% of that damage). Is it worth losing your most powerful STAB move just for a little more damage on Salamence and Garchomp when they both will be limping after anyway? I would actually go with Return / Earthquake / Thunderpunch / Pursuit.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The short answer to your question, RaikouLover, is yes. Losing your most powerful STAB move can be worth it when your STAB is of a type that sucks ass.

The whole problem with the "Return does more unless the move is 4x effective" argument ignores the fact that nothing that would come in to a Slaking (especially a lead Slaking like this set is designed to be) is going to take neutral damage from it. When 5 of the top 10 most common pokemon in the game laugh at your precious STAB move, you might want to rethink your move selection. Foregoing STAB is not an insane option in this case because: 1) Slaking has more than enough Atk to cover the minimal loss of base power, 2) Normal is a shitty attacking type in D/P. There is no arguing against this.

Although I do feel that Return is much more viable than ThunderPunch and should probably go on the set anyways, I've been using this set for a little while and I have yet to use my Normal move. It's just not a great move anymore and keeping it as a mandatory option is really limiting Slaking's potential coverage for a couple of extra points of Base Power that won't even come in handy most of the time because it will just be divided by 2.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
You know what sucks?Normal isn't Super Effective against ANYTHING =(

[/quote]Return / Earthquake / ThunderPunch / Pursuit[/quote]

I second this set, but maybe change Pursuit to cover something else...actually, Pursuit is ok.

The main problem is choosing between Return and ThunderPunch

Is this ready or is there anything else to add?

Also I believe jrrrrrrr explained it perfectly so there is no point in me defenging it by just saying the same thing.

The short answer to your question, RaikouLover, is yes. Losing your most powerful STAB move can be worth it when your STAB is of a type that sucks ass.

The whole problem with the "Return does more unless the move is 4x effective" argument ignores the fact that nothing that would come in to a Slaking (especially a lead Slaking like this set is designed to be) is going to take neutral damage from it. When 5 of the top 10 most common pokemon in the game laugh at your precious STAB move, you might want to rethink your move selection. Foregoing STAB is not an insane option in this case because: 1) Slaking has more than enough Atk to cover the minimal loss of base power, 2) Normal is a shitty attacking type in D/P. There is no arguing against this.

Although I do feel that Return is much more viable than ThunderPunch and should probably go on the set anyways, I've been using this set for a little while and I have yet to use my Normal move. It's just not a great move anymore and keeping it as a mandatory option is really limiting Slaking's potential coverage for a couple of extra points of Base Power that won't even come in handy most of the time because it will just be divided by 2.

Why not use Giga Impact, over return? It has 150 Bp, instead of return's 104. Since Slaking has to rest the next turn anyway it makes no difference?

Comparing it to thunder punch, I think the STAB moves is better. It has little coverage but hits the nuetral pokemon harder. Thunder punch is reall only good against bulky waters and Gyarados.

Giga Impact is in my opinion a terrible option. Just because Slaking has to recharge anyway doesn't mean being forced to stay in the battlefield is worth it. I would rather be able to switch out of a Heracross when Truant takes affect rather than stay in the game "recharging" and getting kille d a CB heracross close combat. Being able to switch out is so vital to the set that giga impact sets it back in the wrong direction.

The problem with Giga Impact is that it won't let you switch out on the recharge turn.

Return should be a primary option I feel. You can cover up its resistances with Earthquake and Shadow Claw.

I get the feeling that many of you who are commenting in this thread have never even tried this set. This isn't the Choice Bander, which can OHKO most Garchomp, Salamence, and Gyarados with Return. Return simply isn't enough to score the KOs needed for this set to function in the way it is intended, even with 460 Attack. The whole point of the set is to revenge kill as many sweepers as you can without them attacking first. Return does not help you with that.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I get the feeling that many of you who are commenting in this thread have never even tried this set. This isn't the Choice Bander, which can OHKO most Garchomp, Salamence, and Gyarados with Return. Return simply isn't enough to score the KOs needed for this set to function in the way it is intended, even with 460 Attack. The whole point of the set is to revenge kill as many sweepers as you can without them attacking first. Return does not help you with that.
Agreed. I played around with this set for the last hour or so and Return was pretty much useless. I much prefer coverage over STAB. The only time I found Return useful is that if I didn't know what to predict for at least I could get some kind of dent in, but, this is a choice set and prediction is key to them so this seems irrelevant.

Once again I couldnt say it better, that is exactly what this is supposed to be. The point is not to dent, it is to revenge kill as much as you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)