VGC Could use advice for my Clangorous Soul Kommo-o team.

(This is my first team so forgive me if I sound inept.)

Greetings! So, I've been trying my hand at getting Clangerous Soul Kommo-o to work in VGC. There are some games where it goes perfectly and I can sweep the competition easily, but there are others where it just falls flat. Particular opposing team archetypes I struggle against include Fake Out cycling (Incineroar into Rillaboom into Incineroar etc.) and Flutter Mane Chi Yu hyper offence. Could use some advice on how to improve this team.

Kommo-o.gif

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Bulletproof
Level: 50
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 108 HP / 236 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales
- Flash Cannon
- Clangorous Soul
- Protect / Vacuum Wave

The backbone of the team. It's stats, ability, moves, and whatnot are pretty much cribbed from WolfeyVGC's Snorlax video (link to the video). Basically, the idea with this guy is to pop a Clangorous Soul next to a support mon and then go to town. Clanging Scales is its main form of damage, as it is able to 0HKO or 2HKO nearly everything and can bypass substitutes, while Flash Cannon and Tera Steel help it take on Fairy types. Flutter Mane and Gholdengo in particular are completely walled by Tera Steel Bulletproof Kommo-o, as it resists Dazzling Gleam and Moonblast, and Make It Rain, and is immune to Shadow Ball (plus, Gholdengo gets 2HKO'ed by +2 Clanging Scales). I'm torn between the last move being Protect or Vacuum Wave, as Protect helps it deal with Fake Out and spread moves, while Vacuum Wave gives it Fighting STAB and is good for picking off high-speed mons. 164 speed EVs allow it to outspeed a lot of stuff, including Adamant Chien-Pao and Modest Flutter Mane, and +1 236 Spe. Attack EVs with Modest hits like a truck. Throat Spray boosts Kommo-o's Spe. Atk even more if it uses Clangorous Soul or Clanging Scales, though there have been many a match where I've been tempted to drop it in favor of Covert Cloak (Fake out and hax come to mind).

Clefairy.gif

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Helping Hand
- Follow Me
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

Another one copied from Wolfey. This is the standard support from Kommo-o. Clefairy here is trained in bulk and sports an Eviolite, making it tanky enough to eat even super-effective moves (Archaludon's Flash Cannon and Landorus-Incarnate's Sludge Bomb are both only 2HKOs). The Sassy nature and lack of speed IVs are kinda carry-overs from Wolfey's team (He was using it on a Trick Room Snorlax team, after all), but they've still helped on this team if the enemy activates Trick Room (Heal Pulses at the speed of light). Follow Me redirects single target moves away from Kommo-o, and Friend Guard makes moves that still hit Kommo-o deal less damage. Helping Hand and Heal Pulse are good options if the opponent isn't putting on any pressure, and Protect is Protect. Tera Grass gives Clefairy Spore immunity, allowing it to redirect it away without falling asleep.

Ogerpon-Wellspring.png

Ogerpon-Wellspring @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Follow Me
- Spiky Shield

Very standard Ogerpon Wellspring set. It basically serves as a back-up Follow Me user in case Clefairy goes down. I sometimes lead it instead of Clefairy, however, if the opponent looks like it will lead Amoonguss or Sleep Powder Chlorophyll users. It can also go on the offensive with Ivy Cudgel, which can deal good damage even when intimidated. Horn Leech gives Ogerpon recovery, and Spiky Shield deals useful chip on Fake Out and Sash users. Rapid Strike Urshifus hate Fiona here, which is useful in case Kommo-o has already Tera'd into a steel type.

Incineroar.gif

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Parting Shot

If the rules didn't require me to write at least three sentences per Pokemon, I could probably leave the description of this guy blank. He's as self-explanatory as he is ubiquitous. Intimidate plus Sitrus Berry plus great natural bulk means it takes a lot to get this guy off the field. Since Intimidate neuters most physical attackers, I've trained my Incineroar in special defense, allowing it to shrug off attacks from Flutter Mane and Chi-Yu. Flare Blitz and Knock Off deal criminal amounts of damage for what is supposed to be a "support" mon. Fake Out is good for wasting a mon's turn, and Parting Shot lets it debuff special attackers and defensively pivot out. Tera Grass goes well with its typing, as it covers all of Incineroar's weaknesses.

Landorus.gif

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 132 HP / 4 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Protect

Landorus is one of the two back-up mons on the team, for when Kommo-o falls and you need a non-setup guy to quickly clean up. This guy is especially useful for dealing with troublesome steel types, which resist both of Kommo-o's main attacks. Earth Power and Sludge Bomb make Landorus very reliable, as the only things that resist both ground and poison are niche picks like Corviknight and Levitate Bronzong. Tera Poison serves as both an offensive and defensive Tera, boosting the damage of Sludge Bomb while getting rid of its weaknesses to water and ice. Substitute is a good move to use if the opponent lacks pressure, and it also gives Lando an immunity to the ever-troublesome Spore. Pairs very well with Ogerpon-Wellspring, by the way, as they both cover each other's weaknesses.

Metagross.gif

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Bullet Punch
- Psychic Fangs
- Stomping Tantrum

Metagross is the other back-up damage dealer, though it also is a good lead into certain popular team archetypes. 252 HP EVs plus an AV makes it incredibly tanky, to the point of surviving a Shadow Ball from Flutter Mane so you can KO it back with Heavy Slam. Bullet Punch is useful for taking out weakened foes and sash users, especially Chien-Pao. Psychic Fangs serves as its Psychic Stab, while also getting rid of those pesky screens that Grimmsnarls and Alolan Ninetales love to use. Stomping tantrum is a good coverage option, and it allows it to annihilate Incineroar after a Fake Out. Tera Dragon turns its weakness to fire into a resist and also lets it tank ivy cudgel from Ogerpon-Wellspring and Ogerpon-Hearthflame.

That's pretty much it. Would appreciate some feedback on how to improve the team. I really like the Clangorous Soul gimmick, and I'm willing to go as far as to replace every other member of the team to get it to work. Hold nothing back! Rip me a new one!

Paste: Clangorous Kommo-o (pokepast.es)
Rental: 1Q3VL2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)