CAP 4 Pre-evos - Final Product

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, eight and a half weeks have gone by since the first thread opened, and it's been a fun ride, but now this project finally draws to a close. However, before we finish, there is one last thing to attend to: height and weight. Here is what I came up with:

Cupra
0.5 m / 1'8"
4.8 kg / 10.6 lbs

Argalis
1.3 m / 4'3"
341.4 kg / 752.7 lbs

Now like bugmaniacbob did for Aurumoth, I wanted to base the weights on calculations using the densities of the matierials that are the Pokemon's namesakes. However, in looking back at his calculations, I noticed that his weight only took into account a single wing. The calculations all make sense, but looking at them, Aurumoth should clearly weight 6 times what it does. However, this could not be a case of error, as Aurumoth clearly weighs exactly what bmb said. I thought for a while, and finally arrived at this explaination:

Aurumoth uses some sort of psychic power to lessen the density of the its floating wings. While using this ability, the weight of all its plates measure the same as the weight of a single one. For its pre evolutions, this ability has not been fully developed. Cupra, who's two plates are attached to its body, carries the full mass of the copper. Argalis on the other hand, carries the full weight for the 4 acting as a shell, but has developed enough power to cause the two floating wings to only register as one when weighed.

As for the specific calculations, to start off, I looked at other Pokemon which I could possibly base these off of. I found that Tyranitar was just .1 m shorter than Aurumoth, so I decided to use it as a base. Using that, I made Argalis just taller that Pupitar, much like their evolutions, putting it at 1.3 m. Next, to decide the weight, I decided to go with a method similar to what bmb did for Aurumoth, in that I would calculate a weight for the plates, assuming they are made of their metal namesake. Looking at Argalis, I approximated its plate height as 2/3's of its total height, or 86 2/3 cm. bmb based the volume of Aurumoth's wings as bars of dimentions 100x20x5. Since I now had a new height, I decided to scale down the rest by the same amount:
86.66/100*20 = 17 1/3 cm
86.66/100*5 = 4 1/3 cm.
This puts the final volume at 86 2/3 cm x 17 1/3 cm x 4 1/3 cm = 6509.62963 cm^3. The density of silver near room temperature is 10.49 g·cm^-3. This would put the mass of the bars at 6509.62963 cm^3 * 10.49 g·cm^-3 = 68.2860148 killograms. However, there as explained above, Argalis is carrying the weight of 5 wings, so we multiply by 5 to get the final value of 341.430074 kg, which rounds to 341.4.

Moving on to Cupra, I once again based it off of the Tyranitar family, this time comparing to Larvitar. However, I imagined Cupra to be on the small side, so I decided to dip .1 m under, rather than over, putting it at .5 m. To do weight, I decided to do the same thing as before, however, with its head being more removed from the body, I aproximated the length of the shell to be 3/5 of its height, putting it at 30 cm. Once again, I did the ratios to determine the other values:
30/100*20 = 6 cm
30/100*5 = 1.5 cm
The final volume is thus 30 cm x 6 cm x 1.5 cm = 270 cm^3. The density of copper is 8.96 g·cm-3. This makes the mass of a wing 270 cm^3 * 8.96 g·cm^-3 = 2.4192 kg. Cupra has 2 wings, so the final weight would be double that or 4.8384 kg, which rounds to 4.8 kg.

And... that's it. I just want to thank everyone who participated in this project. I know that between PRC and the start of CAP5 that this was not everyone's top priority, but thanks to the great participation we did get, we were able to create some pretty cool Pokemon. Without you all, we would never have great results like this. I've had a great time leading and hope you all enjoyed it, and will continue to stick around and help during CAP5, and anything else that is to follow.

As this was the first time we have ever made two brand new prevos at once, there were definitely some bumps in the road, and if anyone has any suggestions of how to improve things for the next time, I'm sure whoever will be leading down the road will appreciate it. Either way, that's all from me.

Here they are. Enjoy!
Cupra

Type: Bug/Psychic
Abilities: Shield Dust/Keen Eye/Illusion
Stats: 50/60/49/67/30/44
Evolution: Level 30
Height: 0.5 m / 1'8"
Weight: 4.8 kg / 10.6 lbs

Movepool said:
- Tackle
- String Shot
7 Bug Bite
14 Sunny Day
21 Heal Pulse
27 Struggle Bug
32 Will-o-Wisp
38 Final Gambit
44 Ancient Power
48 Wish
54 Zen Headbutt
TM03 - Psyshock
TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM19 - Telekinesis
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM51 - Ally Switch
TM56 - Fling
TM61 - Will-o-Wisp
TM67 - Retaliate
TM70 - Flash
TM76 - Struggle Bug
TM77 - Psych Up
TM81 - X-Scissor
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
HM01 - Cut
Bug Bite
Electroweb
Helping Hand
Magic Coat
Magic Room
Recycle
Roleplay
Skill Swap
Trick
Wonder Room
Zen Headbutt
Bug Buzz
Close Combat
Counter
Disable
Feint
Hydro Pump
Megahorn
Safeguard
Wing Attack
Dex Entries said:
Cupra, the Copper Specie Pokémon
Black: They are normally withdrawn, but strong trainers are seen to attract curious Cupra from trees.
White: It lives in the hollow of a tree. If disturbed, it vibrates its wings and scatters metal flecks.
Black 2/White 2: They are customarily awarded to the best of athletes, a tradition carried over from the past.

Argalis

Type: Bug/Psychic
Abilities: Shed Skin/Compoundeyes/Illusion
Stats: 60/90/89/87/40/54
Evolution: Level 50
Height: 1.3 m / 4'3"
Weight: 341.4 kg / 752.7 lbs
Movepool said:
- Tackle
- String Shot
7 Bug Bite
14 Sunny Day
21 Heal Pulse
27 Ominous Wind
34 Will-o-Wisp
41 Final gambit
47 Ancient Power
52 Wish
57 Light Screen/Reflect
62 Psychic
TM03 - Psyshock
TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM19 - Telekinesis
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM51 - Ally Switch
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM56 - Fling
TM61 - Will-o-Wisp
TM67 - Retaliate
TM70 - Flash
TM76 - Struggle Bug
TM77 - Psych Up
TM81 - X-Scissor
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 -*Substitute
HM01 - Cut
Bug Bite
Electroweb
Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Magic Coat
Magic Room
Recycle
Roleplay
Skill Swap
Trick
Wonder Room
Zen Headbutt
Bug Buzz
Close Combat
Counter
Disable
Feint
Hydro Pump
Megahorn
Safeguard
Wing Attack
Dex Entries said:
Argalis, the Free Silver Pokémon.
Black: Despite its hefty appearance, it is dexterous in manipulating its free shells for utility and combat.
White: When it becomes bored, it stimulates its mind by creating puzzles and carving them into bark.
Black 2/White 2: It is highly intelligent, but it thinks only of itself. Only when it achieves enlightenment does it evolve.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Nice job, jas. :) One less thing to worry about, and I must say that despite the possibilities for contrast with two designs, the connections that link the two in name, designs (both art and sprites), and flavor works perfectly.

Wow. If this line was real Pokemon, Argalis would BY FAR hold the record for most weight gain between evolutions.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Part of me can't help but think that "now its time for jas to focus on the real deal". Still, the other part is thinking ""maybe we should give more attention to prevos in the future".

Well, the reason for the second statement is that it's ever so slightly more casual than real CAPs, so I had a less stressful time working on submissions (I remember holding out from stats submissions during CAP3 Mollux because I couldn't make heads or tails out of BSR). Maybe, just maybe, we can encourage budding contributors to participate in prevos as a kinda workshop to hone their skills? But maybe I'm out of topic here :)

Anyway, congratulations, and thanks for leading this project jas!

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
Nice job on these in general, particularly Paintseagull for the adorable arts. That's some pretty slick flavor to explain the weights, jas. Everyone deserves a cupra for winning.

First off, great job with these two. I'd like to echo Kadew's compliment of the weight explanation, that was brilliant. Hats off to everyone involved with this process.

Now, I'm not sure if pre-evos are done with this mind, but are there plans to ever implement these guys (and all the pre-evos in general) into the CAP server on PS? I don't know how necessary it is or how much effort it would take but it'd certainly make the CAP metagame feel more 'complete,' looking at these stats Eviolite Argalis wouldn't be too shabby in the lower tiers, and maybe even a CAP LC metagame? Assuming there's enough interest and whatnot. Just my thoughts.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Woohoo! Another CaP prevo set done and dusted! You must of had a lot on your plate with these two to deal with AND then sorting out the start of CaP 5! Thanks to everyone who takes part in these prevo events and the like, it's a really nice thing for the community to be involved with.

Congrats to everyone involved! Great art and lovely sprites too.

@CJRocker, chances are they will not be implemented. It's been talked about a few times but nothing super solid has ever come out of it. I would rather they stayed full on fake mon so as not to distract from the CaP propers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)