#breezi

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello! We're going to be starting up yet another pre-evolution, and I'd like to take this one in a bit of a different direction. Syclar, Embirch, and Flarelm are all successful, but I can't help but think that the process for creating them takes an unnecessarily long amount of time to make. Since they're not being implemented on the server, I feel like we have a bit more flexibility in making these.

What I'd like to do is make our next pre-evolution, Breezi, live on IRC. You can read all of the information on Breezi here. The reason I think IRC would be a good medium of creation for Breezi is that the Pokemon is pretty much complete. Cartoons! laid out some pretty specific details, so it shouldn't take too long to finalize this stuff. On IRC, we'll finalize Breezi's typing, abilities, stats, movepool, and Pokedex entries. This will all be done through voting that will take place in real time. I'll lead the process, and I'd love to answer any questions that you may have.

All of this will occur on Saturday, April 13th. It will likely start around noon (CST), and I predict that it will take around three hours. In a few days, we'll have threads go up for sprites and art submissions, so we'll have time to vote officially on those aspects on the date. You can chat with us by joining #breezi on SynIRC. If you don't use mIRC or some other client, click here to join us through Mibbit. Until then, you're more than welcome to use #breezi to prepare your stat spreads and movepools. This thread is to be used for general discussion of Breezi and questions that you may have about this process. I know this is wildly different from anything we've ever done officially, but I'm quite confident that we'll be able to do this in an efficient and effective way. If it doesn't work out, then we'll go back to using forum threads for future pre-evolutions. Thanks for reading, and I can't wait to create Breezi with you all in two weeks!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I will hopefully be there. :) My sprites are ready whenever that thread arrives, and I will be glad to participate in the creation of the other components.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
This will be interesting...

I have no problems with this being done on IRC, maybe dump other info we have here in relation to Fidget (like his official movepool etc). Give people enough of a heads up about what we are working with.

Sounds like fun! I'll definitely attempt to participate in most of the non-art related categories which need finalising. A question though: is Breezi's art finalised or will there be an art thread such as Scylar and Embirch/Flarelm for a more refined art piece?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay, so I was looking back through Fidget's threads so I could start building my movepool...

And we are once again in with a conundrum in which move-pools are correct...

http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/moves/fidgit and http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44196 are very different. I guess this is again because there was some fiddling during the previous Revision project that have been left in? I assume we work off the one that is on site, not the original? Especially considering the ones on-site also have the Tutor moves attached and I am positive Fidget existed pre platinum...

EDIT: I have been informed by Deck Knight that the onsite one is the correct one. IE, the first one I linked to in this post :)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I'd just like to point out an error with Fidget's moveset... It seems he has somehow managed to acquire Metronome via a tutor that doesn't exist.

It does exist in Gen 3, but I was pretty sure the Revisions or Reversions or whatever they were called were still only based on the Gen 4 Plat tutors and no others. Being a Gen 4 mon it shouldn't have a Gen 3 tutor move at all.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Posting to say that we'll be starting in about 30 minutes! Come join us in #breezi.

EDIT: In response to DHR's post above, the link between the onsite movepool and X-Act's original submission is here. This is one revision we apparently kept permanently, so let's base our movepool for Breezi off of what's on site. I'm posting this here for future reference.

Birkal

We have the technology.
We're taking a two hour long break, but we've made great progress! Through voting and submissions, we've finalized the following information about Breezi:

Name: Breezi
Typing: Poison / Flying
Abilities: Unburden / Own Tempo
Stats: 50 / 46 / 69 / 60 / 50 / 75

When we return in roughly two hours from now, we'll be finalizing Breezi's movepool and Pokedex entries. If you're an artist who would like to help out, check out our Art & Sprites Submission thread. So if you've got the time, join us again on #breezi (link in the OP of this thread) in two hours to submit your movepool and Pokedex entries! PM me if you have any questions.

Birkal

We have the technology.
As we discussed on IRC, I'm going to put the movepools here on the forum. That keeps us from having to get them all cluttered in pastebins. Here they are!

Level Up
Evolve: lv. 33

0 Gust
0 Tailwind
0 Helping Hand
5 Encore
9 Safeguard
14 Knock Off
19 Copycat
25 Whirlwind
30 Body Slam
34 Sludge Bomb
39 Toxic Spikes
44 Rest
50 Heal Block
55 Aerial Ace
59 Lucky Chant

To start, I removed the moves that didn't seem fitting, in this case Comet Punch (no arms), Rapid Spin (lacks Fidgit's drill), Gravity (its all about floating), and Earth Power (doesn't have anything to do with the ground). Next, with the exception of the level 0 move Comet Punch, I filled in these moves with some TM moves. Safeguard over Rapid Spin and Rest over Gravity to replace useful utility moves with other useful utility moves, and Aerial Ace over Earth Power to represent its place as a sky pokemon rather than an earthbound one. Finally, I adjusted the levels that it learns later moves at. I looked at the pattern that Fidgit had, and while it kind didn't really follow anything that set later on, I saw the first few differences were 5 4 5 5 6, so I took this as a pattern and repeated it throughout the rest of the level up pool.

For evolution method I chose lv. 33 because, frankly, it is unremarkable but realistic. I went through every single 2 stage family fully introduced in generation 4, and out of the 20 of them, 18 evolved via normal level up, with the only 2 exceptions being a pair of happieness evolutions. Additionally, among those 18 that evolve via normal level up, only Burmy evolves at a level which it also learns a move, and Burmy is already a unique case since it has a split evolution. In every single other case, the level had nothing significant about it other than the evolution. Since most of the Pokemon evolved somewhere in the late twenties to thirties, I decided to put it at 33. Not too late since Breezi is fairly weak, but not too early since Fidgit is a very high BST Pokemon.

TM/HM

TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM43 Secret Power
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Skill Swap
TM49 Snatch
TM56 Fling
TM58 Endure
TM77 Psych Up
TM78 Captivate
TM82 Sleep Talk
TM83 Natural Gift
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM92 Trick Room

For TMs, its all about taking out what doesn't fit. I decided that Breezi's layed back look made mean dark type moves feel out of place. While the more playful ones, like Knock Off in the level up pool, were fine, Taunting, Tormenting, and Thievery all seemed not to fit. Next I removed the fully evolved exclusive moves, Hyper Beam and Giga Impact. I also felt that as a flying type, the rock and ground moves really didn't fit in, so I axed EQ, Rock Tomb, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, and Rock Slide.

Tutor

Block
Body Slam
Double-Edge
Gastro Acid
Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Knock Off
Mimic
Mud-Slap
Ominous Wind
Snore
Swift
Tailwind
Twister

Tutor moves stayed mostly the same, but I removed Earth Power and Gravity for the same reasons they were taken out of the level up pool. I took out Metronome too since Metronome is not actually a 4th gen Tutor move. I have no idea how Fidgit is supposed to get it as a Tutor move, but whatever magic it used is certainly not available to little Breezi.

Egg

Disable
Follow Me
Me First
Metronome
Mimic
Sand Tomb
Spikes
Wish

And, of course, Egg pool is the same. No changing this up.

Evolve @ Lv 16 because that is when it learns Knock Off, although it is not a requirement for it to actually learn it. Knock Off because it is just so sad for Breezi to have other's lose their item, that Breezi just has to do it as well. :(

Level-Up Moves:
- Acid
- Encore
5: Gust
8: Mud-slap
11: Whirlwind
16: Knock Off
19: Sludge
22: Me First
27: Recycle
30: U-Turn
35: Fling
38: Sludge Bomb

TM/HM Moves:
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM34 - Shock Wave
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM43 - Secret Power
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM49 - Snatch
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM58 - Endure
TM63 - Embargo
TM67 - Recycle
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 - Captivate
TM82 - Sleep Talk
TM83 - Natural Gift
TM87 - Swagger
TM89 - U-Turn
TM90 - Substitute

Egg Moves (Ground):
Wish
Spikes
Toxic Spikes
Pursuit
Sucker Punch
Block
Wake-up Slap
Mud Sport
Helping Hand
Follow Me
Metronome
Assist

I took away most every ground-based move, such as Earthquake and Stone Edge. I also took away field effects not related to weather as Breezi would rather be in fresh air anyways :3. The Level-Up moves are based upon Drifloon's DPP level up system of 3-3-5. Many moves from the TM list have been added to the Level-Up move is partially because of the low amount of moves leftover from fidget, and partially because of their flavor in accordance to Breezi.

LEVEL UP
0 Gust
0 Tailwind
5 Encore
9 Tackle
14 Knock Off -> Evolve Learning Knock Off
18 CopyCat
23 Whirlwind
27 Slam
31 Sludge Bomb
36 Toxic Spikes
40 Tail Wind
45 Captivate
49 Fling
53 Lucky Chant

I was really undecided on how to make Breezi evolve. I finally decided that i would let it evolve after learning Knock Off, similar to how Bonsly and Mime Jnr evolve. I know everyone is going to hanker for the Iron Ball method, but I don't like it. The only other method that works for me is normal evolution level, but I think Breezi should have something a little quirky considering it's massive change in form. I loved the idea of keeping Sludge bomb as a dirty reference!

TM MOVES
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM43 Secret Power
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Skill Swap
TM49 Snatch
TM56 Fling
TM58 Endure
TM77 Psych Up
TM78 Captivate
TM82 Sleep Talk
TM83 Natural Gift
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM92 Trick Room

Got rid of all the generically "Evolution moves" and removed all the Rock/Ground Type Attacks too. I also removed both of the HM moves as I think Breezi would be way too tiny to use them.

TUTOR MOVES
Gastro Acid
Gravity
Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Knock Off
Mimic
Ominous Wind
Snore
Swift
Tailwind
Twister

Removed the obviously Fidget'y moves. Left in the more "Windy" style moves as I expect Breezi to fully be able to utilise them to the best of their effectiveness.

EGG MOVES
Disable
Follow Me
Me First
Metronome
Mimic
Sand Tomb
Spikes
Wish

And the egg moves cannot change :)

Birkal

We have the technology.
And here is our submitted Pokedex entries:

Breezi, the Drifting Pokemon

Diamond: They drift lazily through the sky on windy days. They often fall asleep while gliding.

Pearl: They seem to enjoy collecting pebbles from the ground. The extra weight can make their gliding erratic.

Platinum: It is said that no matter what winds it encounters, a wandering BREEZI always finds its way home.

Breezi, the Parachute Pokemon

They appear to float with the breeze. Somehow, they manage to avoid landing even when the wind is calm.

It is difficult to tell whether a BREEZI is awake or asleep. They often seem to be ignoring the world.

They can be found all over the world. Only after strong wind storms can large groups be found together.

Breezi: The Drifting Pokemon

D: Although they appear to be conscious of their movements, BREEZI have no control over where the wind blows them.

P: Despite their cute appearance, BREEZI are very poisonous. It is said that one BREEZI is responsible for the endangered DELIBIRD population in Sinnoh.

P: BREEZI are born without their parachutes. During the first 30 minutes of their lives, they scramble to form makeshift ones.

Breezi, the Ballooning Pokemon

Diamond: The mood of a BREEZI depends on the strength of the wind. When the wind is calm, it rests.

Pearl:
Before modern technology, they were used to carry letters and parcels across vast oceans.

Platinum: BREEZI has the ability to create wind on command. It shoots itself upwards when threatened.

I tried to get a variety of themes running through these entries. The Diamond entry, in my opinion at least, is quite cute and reflects on Breezi's relaxed nature alongside the wind theme. I tried going for a unique direction with the Pearl entry, using the idea that Breezi were messengers. Platinum is also a cute entry, and relates to the theme of wind again. The length of the dex entries is the normal length for any entry in Pokemon. Also it is the Ballooning species because the idea behind Breezi is that it creates a silky parachute as a baby, and then grows into an adult spider. The process is called ballooning.

Birkal

We have the technology.
And just like that, we're done! We've completed the IRC component of Breezi. The only thing remaining are sprites and artwork, which is being conducted in this thread. Once we finish up those, I'll post the Breezi final product. Cheers!

Name: Breezi
Typing: Poison / Flying
Abilities: Unburden / Own Tempo
Stats: 50 / 46 / 69 / 60 / 50 / 75

Level Up
Evolve: lv. 33

0 Gust
0 Tailwind
0 Helping Hand
5 Encore
9 Safeguard
14 Knock Off
19 Copycat
25 Whirlwind
30 Body Slam
34 Sludge Bomb
39 Toxic Spikes
44 Rest
50 Heal Block
55 Aerial Ace
59 Lucky Chant

To start, I removed the moves that didn't seem fitting, in this case Comet Punch (no arms), Rapid Spin (lacks Fidgit's drill), Gravity (its all about floating), and Earth Power (doesn't have anything to do with the ground). Next, with the exception of the level 0 move Comet Punch, I filled in these moves with some TM moves. Safeguard over Rapid Spin and Rest over Gravity to replace useful utility moves with other useful utility moves, and Aerial Ace over Earth Power to represent its place as a sky pokemon rather than an earthbound one. Finally, I adjusted the levels that it learns later moves at. I looked at the pattern that Fidgit had, and while it kind didn't really follow anything that set later on, I saw the first few differences were 5 4 5 5 6, so I took this as a pattern and repeated it throughout the rest of the level up pool.

For evolution method I chose lv. 33 because, frankly, it is unremarkable but realistic. I went through every single 2 stage family fully introduced in generation 4, and out of the 20 of them, 18 evolved via normal level up, with the only 2 exceptions being a pair of happieness evolutions. Additionally, among those 18 that evolve via normal level up, only Burmy evolves at a level which it also learns a move, and Burmy is already a unique case since it has a split evolution. In every single other case, the level had nothing significant about it other than the evolution. Since most of the Pokemon evolved somewhere in the late twenties to thirties, I decided to put it at 33. Not too late since Breezi is fairly weak, but not too early since Fidgit is a very high BST Pokemon.

TM/HM

TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM43 Secret Power
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Skill Swap
TM49 Snatch
TM56 Fling
TM58 Endure
TM77 Psych Up
TM78 Captivate
TM82 Sleep Talk
TM83 Natural Gift
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM92 Trick Room

For TMs, its all about taking out what doesn't fit. I decided that Breezi's layed back look made mean dark type moves feel out of place. While the more playful ones, like Knock Off in the level up pool, were fine, Taunting, Tormenting, and Thievery all seemed not to fit. Next I removed the fully evolved exclusive moves, Hyper Beam and Giga Impact. I also felt that as a flying type, the rock and ground moves really didn't fit in, so I axed EQ, Rock Tomb, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, and Rock Slide.

Tutor

Block
Body Slam
Double-Edge
Gastro Acid
Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Knock Off
Mimic
Mud-Slap
Ominous Wind
Snore
Swift
Tailwind
Twister

Tutor moves stayed mostly the same, but I removed Earth Power and Gravity for the same reasons they were taken out of the level up pool. I took out Metronome too since Metronome is not actually a 4th gen Tutor move. I have no idea how Fidgit is supposed to get it as a Tutor move, but whatever magic it used is certainly not available to little Breezi.

Egg

Disable
Follow Me
Me First
Metronome
Mimic
Sand Tomb
Spikes
Wish

And, of course, Egg pool is the same. No changing this up.

Breezi, the Parachute Pokemon

They appear to float with the breeze. Somehow, they manage to avoid landing even when the wind is calm.

It is difficult to tell whether a BREEZI is awake or asleep. They often seem to be ignoring the world.

They can be found all over the world. Only after strong wind storms can large groups be found together.

Also, a thread will be going up later tonight to discuss if people enjoyed using IRC for this creation process or not. There are many advantages and disadvantages, so I think it'd be wise to discuss them. Thankee!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I think this went okay actually. Considering it was sort of off the bat and then we just sort of did it it wasn't so bad. I was thinking about making a table of good points and bad ones, but mostly it sort of ended out with good points. The only real negatives is it could get a little heated and it felt like whoever shouted the loudest got the votes (I don't think that was the case but that's what it felt like).

I think that was both the best and the worst... It was great to have instant feedback, but also bad that the chat was working so fast constantly. I think maybe for Abilities/Movepools (Mainly movepools) people should have a chance (Outside of the normal descriptions for the pastebins) to present their cases for the options they are championing to try and sway the voters. The forum is probably slightly better in that regard because you can have a little more development time for feed back and the like.

I'll probably update this later when i have more time :P

Stratos

Banned deucer.
a big downside was that if you happened to not have access to irc on saturday you were basically just SOL

It was great fun, and I really do think IRC is the way to go. DHR poses a good point though, and I also felt that at times the process was rushed; although that didn't affect the final results all too much. I gladly await the next IRC prevo process.

Bull of Heaven

Agreeing that it was a good way to do this. Since prevos don't need the same kind of caution and debate we put into a CAP, the faster pace was a fun change. I don't think I should comment on whether it moved too quickly, since I submitted neither stats nor a movepool, but it was always clear that Birkal was willing to take as long as we needed to avoid any major problems. Even though this was the first attempt, it was very well-run. I don't remember it ever getting "heated" either, but maybe DHR and I just interpreted things differently.

It is problematic that some people just missed the whole thing, but it would be a shame to scrap the whole thing because of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)