Smogon Forums

FellFromtheSky
FellFromtheSky
I'm glad to hear you think I'm accomplished. You flatter me too much. :>
Personally, I use a Wacom Bamboo MTE-450A. It's an older model (one of the oldest, methinks), but, even in its age, the pen sensitivity is good and it's quite durable. I don't know how easy it'd be to get one though, as I'm not sure Wacom still makes them (I bought mine from a friend). Either way, I'd recommend Wacom products, in general. Don't settle for anything less! Wacom is the best!
Cretacerus
Cretacerus
Ahh, good to know. I was actually considering a Wacom Intuos tablet, which is said to be quite similar to the previous Bamboo series. The good thing about it is that it comes with a free art program which actually allows me to use it, lol. I don't think Paint.NET supports pressure sensitivity... :(
FellFromtheSky
FellFromtheSky
Oh! That's good! If you're looking for a good art program as well, I recommend Corel Painter, but it's on the pricier side of things. I've heard lots of good things about Paint tool SAI of course, and it's a great deal cheaper than Painter. Before using painter, I personally used OpenCanvas, which is nice and has really good line quality--plus it's a similar price to SAI (40-60 USD). If you want a free program, I know lots of people like Medibang paint and pom has been experimenting with FireAlpaca--so you could also try those, perhaps?
Cretacerus
Cretacerus
The free art program is Corel Painter Essentials! I read that it's really good for a traditional painting feel. ^^
FellFromtheSky
FellFromtheSky
Oh! Perfect! I've used essentials for lots of my work. The full version is more versatile, but essentials is actually really good! Avoid the FX and particle brushes though.
Cretacerus
Cretacerus
H-how did you manage to try out all those programs? :O
FellFromtheSky
FellFromtheSky
FellFromtheSky
More seriously, I've experimented a lot. I actually didn't try out FireAlpaca, SAI, or Medibang. I've just heard those are good. I do recommend (and have tried) OpenCanvas and any Corel product, though. Whatever you do, just don't use GIMP. for anything other than removing backgrounds/making them transparent.
Cretacerus
Cretacerus
I do actually have some experience with GIMP, since it's the most recommended free drawing program, but ended up liking Paint.NET more due to its simple and intuitive display. I also tried GIMP with a drawing tablet before, but curiously it only did pressure sensing on a Mac. x_X
Cretacerus
Cretacerus
That is to say, my experience so far is almost entirely limited to freeware, hehe.
FellFromtheSky
FellFromtheSky
Ah, well I'm glad you found Paint.net useful. I can't stand GIMP tbh. I only use it for making my backgrounds transparent because Corel products require a background layer (as you'll soon find with essentials). I think you'll like essentials though. It's pretty great! I can't wait to see what you do with it. :>
Cretacerus
Cretacerus
Man, I need to become your apprentice once I get the new art program! But seriously, do you plan on doing a tutorial for your drawing techniques someday? :P
FellFromtheSky
FellFromtheSky
You flatter me far too much. I'd definitely be willing to help you out with Painter, of course. As for the tutorial, I would, but I'm lazy and wouldn't know how to make one anyway. :<
Cretacerus
Cretacerus
Lol, that's just because you consistently manage to amaze me with your art. I have no control over it whatsoever... X(
And yeah, I can see what you mean. That vagueness and lack of distinct steps has always deterred me a bit from painting, so someone with experience would definitely be a great help. I heard Wacom provides a set of online tutorials to users as well, so that's an additional benefit.