Ladder STABmons (the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
Mega Altaria gets Pixilated Extreme Speed.
Fake Out+Espeed new Diggersby!
  • Better bulk
  • Better Speed
  • Better STAB
  • Better movepool/ability to go special (Can beat Skarmory with Fire Blast for instance)
Get your Mega Venusaurs ready!

Oblivion Wing makes it a mixed attacker for a good measure. I'm sure Dragon Ascent/Brave Bird will hit harder, but you don't want your Defenses/HP down up against a wall.

But this is only theory. As the council already proved, Pixiliate is simply too powerful on something that can also set up.

We'll have to wait and see if Darwin's Law holds and newer Walls crop up.

Altaria @ Altarianite......................Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure......................Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe......EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Mild Nature..................................Modest Nature
- Shell Smash..............................- Psystrike
- Boomburst................................- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Extreme Speed..........................- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast..................................- Trick

Here's a fun little core I've been meaning to try. The basic premise of the two is to have Gothitelle eliminate Altaria's checks (Scizor, Mega Venusaur, and Weezing) through various means. I chose to run a fast Choice Specs set because it needs all the power it can get and can cripple more Pokemon this way. Psystrike easily breaks through the latter two, while Hidden Power Fire hits Scizor as well. Although Altaria also carries Fire Blast, Gothitelle should still run Hidden Power Fire because it can actually trap and eliminate it while Altaria carries it to hit on the switch in. Energy Ball is to hit Landorus-T hard and also smack Mega Tyranitar and Sableye (which is crippled by Trick if not carrying Taunt). The 216 Speed EVs allow Gothitelle to outspeed uninvested Landorus-T and anything below, including all of the Pokemon it's meant to beat. Gothitelle is scary in general and although it doesn't gain much new in STABmons, it's still a great trapper and partner to set up sweepers. Enough about Gothitelle, let's talk Altaria.

Altaria is very dangerous in its own right because of Pixilate Boomburst, but that's not all! Pixilate Extreme Speed is really strong and allows it to blast over Diggersby and Sableye, something a lot of other setup sweepers lack. Fire Blast is used to hit Aegislash and Scizor should Gothitelle be KOed. Earthquake can be used as well to hit Heatran, which threatens this core but dislikes Choice Specs because it can be locked into King's Shield and such for the first turn. Later, however, it won't mind. Earthquake is usually the better option, but just running a double trapper core alongside this core is usually a nice idea! Anyways, Mega Altaria is best saved until later in the match when Gothitelle weakens the opponent's team and eliminates its checks and counters. It's really crucial to note that because Mega Altaria doesn't have an item, it will be stuck with lowered Defenses and will usually only get one chance to sweep, so be very careful!

This core works well with other trappers such as Magnezone and Dugtrio. Both of these Pokemon work extremely well because they can trap Heatran, a threat to both of these Pokemon. I know it might seem a bit silly to run double trapping, but it is quite effective! I ran a double trapping team in XY at the start of the metagame because it trapped a lot of the metagame and I found that useful. Do remember this is for a Mega Altaria-centric team, in which the entire team revolves around Mega Altaria. Landorus-T works as well in this core, because it can use U-turn to pivot into a trapper and also set Stealth Rock and also can beat Heatran. Opposing Mega Altaria might be a problem, thus making a Poison-type like Amoonguss a wonderful partner. Just an example of a sweet team using this core is Altaria / Gothitelle / Magnezone / Landorus-T / Amoonguss / filler, which actually doesn't sound half bad! It's really up to you to explore, but I also think Thundurus could be a good partner for its ability to pull off a Thunder Wave and cripple sweepers for these two Pokemon.

Some threats to this core are primarily opposing Mega Altaria, Magnezone, Heatran, and Aegislash. Mega Altaria can setup and sweep and can beat your own Mega Altaria, but it can't, however, switch in directly. Magnezone can pivot out of Gothitelle, eliminating the whole trapping thing, and easily KOes Mega Altaria with Doom Desire without any drops. Heatran doesn't care about either and can Roar away Mega Altaria, spread Will-O-Wisp, or cause Doom Desire shenanigans. Aegislash can setup a Shift Gear on Gothitelle and cause some problems, though it hates Fire Blast from Mega Altaria. I included just these four to give a general idea of what to include on the rest of your team and what it should aim to take on. A Pokemon that does well against these is Landorus-T, which also has solid synergy with the two Pokemon above. Really, though, this core is good and can work with many different Pokemon!

Try it out!

Last edited:
I'd recommend more speed on Gothitelle - perhaps even Choice Scarf - to guarantee you outspeed Scizor as the current spread gets outsped and KOed by Scizors with speed investment. I faced a team using that core - well, it also had Dugtrio AND Magnezone lol - but Scizor ended up killing all the things that were supposed to trap it. It's definitely a scary core though and I wouldn't be surprised to see Mega Altaria banned. Oh and Psystrike > Psyshock

I'd recommend more speed on Gothitelle - perhaps even Choice Scarf - to guarantee you outspeed Scizor as the current spread gets outsped and KOed by Scizors with speed investment. I faced a team using that core - well, it also had Dugtrio AND Magnezone lol - but Scizor ended up killing all the things that were supposed to trap it. It's definitely a scary core though and I wouldn't be surprised to see Mega Altaria banned. Oh and Psystrike > Psyshock
Oops, totally forgot Psystrike o_o! Also, running full Speed investment sounds fine as well. I don't really like Choice Scarf, though, because its main goal is to smack things as hard as possible, not revenge kill / trick a scarf. It's already fast enough to outspeed what it needs to, so I think Choice Specs is fine :o.

EV

Banned deucer.
unfixable Psystrike over Psyshock.

Ah, ninja.

Anyway, I wouldn't list Gothitelle as any kind of Tyranitar deterrent. It can't hope to beat it even with Specs Energy Ball and will be trapped by Sucker Punch/Pursuit. Altaria already doesn't care about Tyranitar, so why mention it?

unfixable Psystrike over Psyshock.

Ah, ninja.

Anyway, I wouldn't list Gothitelle as any kind of Tyranitar deterrent. It can't hope to beat it even with Specs Energy Ball and will be trapped by Sucker Punch/Pursuit. Altaria already doesn't care about Tyranitar, so why mention it?
I mention it because it means that Gothitelle isn't threatening letting it setup anything at all and its rlly not that important but there's nothing else relevant to put there unless I missed something? Also, it allows you to at least sac Gothitelle and provide Altaria a safe switch in instead of risking the Diamond Storm, ya feel?

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 20 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Diamond Storm
- Roost
- Crunch
What? An Aerodactyl without Head Smash or Brave Bird :O? What is this? Well, I'll tell you what this is. This is sparta a Mega Aerodactyl that aims to take a bulkier approach than the normal set and use its high powered moves to wreak havoc while still retaining bulk. The EV spread allows Mega Aerodactyl to outspeed max Speed Mega Lopunny, while 100 HP and 20 SpD EVs retains good all-around bulk and allows it to live a Focus Blast from Landorus after Stealth Rock; the rest of the EVs are allocated to Attack. Anyways, at this point you may be thinking: "but wait? doesn't Dragon Ascent mitigate the whole "bulk" thing?" and well, actually, no, it does not. This set isn't supposed to be a wall, it's supposed to retain bulk to be able to live hits when it is in and then attack as hard as possible. Diamond Storm aid physical Defense to boot. The only other option is Brave Bird, which is even more detrimental! Crunch, along with Mega Aerodactyl's STAB moves, give the best coverage possible; being only resisted by Klefki, Bisharp, and Mawile, and it hits a total of 415 Pokemon super effectively. You may be thinking here: "why not Earthquake > Crunch?" And my logic behind this is that missing out on three Pokemon is definitely worth the trade off in preventing Air Balloon Aegislash from setting up all over it. Roost keeps it gradually healthy throughout the match as well. People seem to forget that Aerodactyl counters Diggersby as well, even after Stealth Rock, so that's another thing it has going for it. Extremely cool Pokemon, I encourage you to try it out!

[p.s. pls don't ban me for double post, they're unrelated ;_;.]

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
This is the World's Stabbiest Team (If you get it). Each of these Pokémon have Stab,Poke,Chop,Slice,Throwing(Sharp Rocks), Shield,Jab, and lets not forget peck,drill, sword dancing and hone clawing moves. Metagross has bullet punch and Meteor Mash. Because metagross has claws instead of fists, this counts as stabbing instead of punching(Get it). Enjoy the world's Stabbiest Team.
WARNING: IT IS BEST NOT TO USE THIS TEAM COMPETITIVELY. TRUST ME, YOU WILL NOT DO WELL IF YOU DO.

Poke Poke STAB (Escavalier) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- King's Shield

CHOP CHOP (Bisharp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- King's Shield
- Poison Jab

FEEL DA STAB (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drill Peck
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- King's Shield

STABBING ASSASSIN (Excadrill) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Drill Run
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

STABBYSTABBYTIME (Doublade) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

STABBY STAB (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- King's Shield
- Hone Claws

TEG edit: I attempted to post this for you Ransei. Not sure what you were trying to accomplish earlier.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Underrated threat coming through

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Blue Flare
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Sleep Talk

I know everyone is still hyped about Mega-Lopunny and Mega-Altaria, but this is actually pretty good too. I honestly wasn't expecting too much from it, but when I tested it, it performed really well.

Can come in pretty easily against common pokemon like Heatran (lacking Earth Power), Sableye, Scizor, Mega-Altaria, Rotom-Heat, and Magnezone and fire off its Sheer Force boosted STABS. Blue Flare in particular hits extremely hard - even 2HKOing resists like Quagsire and Azumarill. It also enough bulk to tank a hit and retaliate against stuff like Mega Tyranitar, Kyurem-B and Thundurus.

Its low speed could work well on a semi Trick Room team. A psychic type with Trick Room + Lunar Dance could very easily set this up for a late game sweep.

Megarupt can run mixed better in STABmons as well, thanks to a Sheer Force boosted Flare Blitz (or Sacred Fire). Certainly stronger options than Earthquake Precipice Blades / Rock Slide.

Mega Salamence and Mega Altaria are now banned

Mega Salamence is banned because it's really insane, just like in standard tiers. Although it's not common whatsoever, nor does it gain anything from STABmons, it's still a huge threat thanks to its high bulk allowing it to stomach Extreme Speeds. Dragon Dance and Return are just as hard hitting as they are in OU and anyone who's played it so far knows that this thing is insanely strong and deserves the ban. The council pretty much unanimously agreed this thing needed to be quick banned right away - it's just not healthy for the metagame.

Mega Altaria is pretty much a bulkier Sylveon with higher Speed and Attack, along with a better typing. Mega Altaria is just as threatening as Sylveon, if not more so. Shell Smash sets could pull off impressive Boombursts and Extreme Speeds; even 2HKOing Chansey with Boomburst. Nothing switched in, not even Steel-types, as Mega Altaria has either Earthquake or Fire Blast. What's more, it could sweep a large portion of the metagame and cause huge mindgames with Poison-types pre-mega evolving. Hell, it's so overcentralizing I recently saw a Mega Venusaur + Amoonguss + Weezing core, specifically to counter Mega Altaria! It constricts teambuilding, is way too strong and bulky for the tier, and had to leave as soon as possible.

Politely tagging The Immortal to update the server!

What do you guys think of Mega Pidgeot? I know it was really hyped up in the beginning of the leaks, but I've not seen much of it. I personally have been testing a NastyPass team with Mega Pidgeot as the recipient. Its Boomburst / Hurricane is quite strong and No Guard is quite nice as well. Sing is a wonderful move that greatly aids in Mega Pidgeot's sweep, it allows it to put counters to sleep and chip them away. For example, I was able to pick through a Mega Tyranitar with Boomburst and a bit of hax, thanks to Sing. Interesting Pokemon, what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)