Gen 5 Dragonite & Kabutops Sand

Hi all. I'm not really great at gen 5 OU (I'm ~1500 on random battles in the gen, but that doesn't require any teambuilding and I often benefit from good matchups) but I've tried my luck at making a team below. After a few battles on ladder I think I have the following weaknesses:
1. It's often difficult for me to get stealth rock up because Tyranitar is usually too occupied switching into Latios/Zam
2. I think I'm critically weak to a lot of variants of Jirachi.

Please let me know what you think and any options for improvement. Someone suggested I run SD/Iron Head/EQ/Spin Jolly Exca w/ 8 HP, 16 Atk, 56 Def, 176 Sped, 252 Spe as a spinner that can also live a Zam focus blast and 1v1s Jirachi better.

Mamoswine @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Often my lead. Good against Lando-T, Gliscor, Ttar leads. Forces a lot of mons out 1v1 and provides useful priority against Dragonite and dragons.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Atk / 172 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower

Obligatory weather-setter and Zam/Lati counter. Also the only mon on which I can fit rocks.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave

I wanted to try Zam without the unreliable focus blast and this is what I could come up with. Dragonite (by setting up on it), Kabutops, and Mamoswine smack the usual Tyranitar switch in, so it's not too hard to get them in when the Ttar switch seems likely, and HP Fire allows a very safe KO against Scizor and 2hko on Ferro. I wonder if psychic is better than psyshock though, as Tentacruel and Volc seem threatened by other members of the team. I use twave to guarantee a win if it's my Zam and something else against opposing Zam since HP Fire forces a bad speed IV.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 60 SpD / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Sets up on Ferrothorn, most Lando-T, Starmie, Tyranitar, and sometimes Keldeo. Basically the mons that normally Zam would 1v1 with focus blast & HP Ice but no longer can.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

A spinner that beats Heatran 1v1, 2HKOs Ferrothorn, and is dangerous against rain teams. Also favored to KO Latios after rocks and sand with a stone edge.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

Standard Latios and I needed a scarfer for more consistent speed control.

this team needs some more consistent resist to dragon spam so lets switch kabutops with exca who can help you treath jirachi too

alakazam wants signal beam over thunder wave to deal with opponents psy/dark types and dont force you a switch

trick is useful on latios for draco meteor / dpulse to block opponents set uppers

i dont like so much the 6 but it can be ok to begin, i suggest you to play some matches with sample teams to get a better vision on the meta

have a nice day!

Last edited:

dawn to the dusk

during the tough day
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi mate, i am here for some suggestions for your team.
Untitled 396 (pokepast.es) Now this is my version for ur team, for solve ur 2 questions, let me talk about them.
1. It's often difficult for me to get stealth rock up because Tyranitar is usually too occupied switching into Latios/Zam
Yeah,tyranitar got lots of job to do, trap latios/zam and compete the weather with polited and so on, so too much job on it will make it soon be chipped and die, so just let tyranitar do its oringnally job, trap! Let other teammates do the entry hazards job.
2. I think I'm critically weak to a lot of variants of Jirachi.
Guess what? U need the measure to punish jirachi, to let it not dare to use iron head and be chipped by entryhazards to qualify the damage range of zam/latios.

Now gonna say my changes for ur team. How to choose zam's item? If u got spikes, with
, got only stealthyrock? ok run
, cause lo/spikes all for the damage, one is to do more chip damage, one is when lack of spikes to chip, so use lo to strength ur firepower to fill ur damage.
Why
to set entryhazards?
Cause its move coverage is crazy, ice with ground got good coverage and can force many fashion threatens in bwou like lando、latios、thunderous、gliscor、tyran out,so it will earn lots of chance to use stealthyrock, especially for rotom-wash and polited, they are the most common checks to eat mamo's ice type attack and threaten back, stealthyrock is important for mamo when u wanna break through out them. Never melt ice Improved the ice shard's kill line, and with stealthyrock you can easily do OHKO lando and latios which is threatening to us when take the scarf, cause this team got no fast scarf user so the mamo's shard is a important move to save, remember it, and dont sack mamo when it is necessary.
is not viable in ou
, and got no chance to kill latios cause ur lower and with poor durability, this team do not fear entryhazards too much so u dont need to worry about choose one as a spinner, i replace it with
, a scarf user and a measure to defense scizor and jiarchi, but only with few times, this gives a immue to ground type and can outspeed to break starmine、zam's focus sash、keldeo and use hp fire to kill scizor\jirachi, there is many wash rotom take chesto berry so if people see oh ur rotom got no leftovers recover, they will being confused, you can take advantage of information gap.
Why dragonite? Cause if u using dragonite u must take a spinner, also this team lack of dragon resist, ferrothorn, needless to say, helps mamoswine fight rotom-wash and some of the Water type walls, while also taking on the task of set spikes, punishing jirachi and resisting Dragon type attacks.

Of course, this team still inevitably has some weaknesses, such as not being able to resist the fighting type well, which requires you to make correct decisions, such as which Pokemon to sack, how to get a good match up, and how to use the durability of latios to play more damage. Hope you can have better results, and like this team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)