Ampharos [qc 0/3]

Overview
########

• Extremely high special attack
  • Good bulk and typing allows it to switch into top threats such as Rotom Wash and Talonflame
  • Dual Stab is very hard to switch into
  • Extremely slo
  • Mold Breaker is a good ability in theory, but nearly useless on Mega-Ampharos
  • Obviously a Mega in team preview
  • Takes up Mega slot
  • Weak to common attacking types such Dragon and Ground
  • Doesn’t get Draco Meteor!
RestTalk
########
name: RestTalk
move 1:Volt Switch
move 2:Dragon Pulse
move 3:Rest
move 4:Sleep Talk
ability:Static
item:Ampharosite
evs:252 HP / 44 SpA / 192 SpD / 20 Spe
nature:Modest

Moves
========

• Volt Switch switch keeps up momentum and is decently powerful.
  • Dragon pulse is Mega Ampharos’s only dragon stab, and is the most powerful attack on the set.
  • Together these have great neutral coverage, only being notably resisted by Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Whimsicott, and Magnezone.
  • Rest keeps Mega Ampharos healthy, and allows it to shrug off any status, making it a complete counter to Rotom Wash.
  • Sleep Talk keeps Mega Ampharos from being a sitting duck after Resting.
  • Focus Blast can be used over SleepTalk if the team has a cleric, although Sleep Talk is generally better
Set Details

• 252 Hp is to take hits as well as possible, as this set's job is to switch into hits
  • 20 Speed allows Mega Ampharos to outspeed 0 speed hippowdon, and 44 Special attack allows it to 2hko 252 HP/0 Spd Hippowdon. The rest is in Special Defensive, as most of the hits Mega Ampharos is supposed to tank are special
  • RestTalk is a much more viable strategy now due to the new sleep mechanics

Usage Tips
  • This set should neither be played as a wall or a completely offensive Pokemon, it is supposed to switch into certain Pokemon and hit hard back while gaining momentum
  • RestTalk allows it to not get worn down and consistently wall Pokemon such as Talonflame or Thundurus
  • Volt switch is Mega Ampharos’s “spammable” move, as it will at the worst get switch initiative on every Pokemon that isn't a ground type (Mold breaker is somewhat useful here, as volt absorbers can’t stop Mega Ampharos from getting momentum).

Team Options
========
  • Works well with a volt-turn core that it can be a part of.
  • Genesect can revenge kill faster dragon and ground types who force Mega Ampharos out, and Ampharos deals with many of the Pokemon who stop Genesect, such as Heatran, defensive Rotom Wash, and Talonflame.
  • Skarmory can switch into dragon and ground moves,while mega Ampharos takes the electric and fire moves that force Skarmory out. Skarmory also switches into Excadrill, which is a huge problem for Ampharos
  • Helps teams that struggle with stall, as while most stall teams will have counters, it will be very hard for stall teams to kill Mega Ampharos due to RestTalk
Tank
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1:Volt Switch
move 2:Dragon Pulse
move 3:Focus Blast
move 4:Heal Bell/Thunderbolt/discharge
evs:252 Spa/20 Spe/236 Hp
nature: Modest

Moves
========
  • Volt Switch is once again the main move, hitting decently hard while getting momentum for Mega Ampharo's team
  • Dragon Pulse is the only option as Dragon STAB, and is a consistent, albeit slightly weak move
  • Focus Blast destroys many common switch-ins to Amoharos, such as Tyranitar, Excadrill, and Ferrothorn
  • Heal Bell is a rare move and can provide important team support, and is the recommended option for this set
  • Thunderbolt is a more reliable Electric Stab, and is Mega Ampharos's most powerful move on this set, but Volt Switch is usually better. Discharge can also be used for the paralysis chance, which can be useful due to Mega Amoharos's low speed

Set Details
  • 20 Speed is once again to outspeed 0 speed Hippowdon, who would other wise threaten Mega Ampharos with Earthquake
  • If on a trick room team, use a quiet nature with 0 speed and 0 speed IVs.
  • 252 Special attack is to hit as hard as possible, as this set is a bulky tank that is supposed to dish out a lot of damage. The rest is in HP to take hits, which is necessary due to Mega Ampharos's slowness.

Usage Tips
  • This set is meant to be played as a tank
  • It hits much harder than Rest-Talk, but loses its ability to repeatedly switch into status and weaker attackers
  • Still a good switch-in to many Pokemon, especially bulky Water, Electric, Fire, and Grass Types

Team Options
  • Still synergises well with Skarmory and Genesect as stated before
  • Almost any teammate appreciates the use of Heal Bell, as any Pokemon can be crippled by the right status
  • Needs teammates that can beat special walls, as this set struggles to take them down and is easily stalled out. Any physical attacker, such as Scizor or Terrakion make great partners
  • Works very well on a trick room team due to combination of bulk, power, and low speed

Other Options
########

• Thunder can be used on a rain team, but is still inconsistent due to lack of consistent rain, making it a risky option no matter what
  • Agility can be used to make up for Mega Ampharo's low speed, although it is still fairly slow even after an agility, and isn't powerful enough to make up for it, making this set more trouble than its worth
  • Signal Beam can be used to beat Celebi, but is generally useless otherwise

Checks & Counters
########
  • Specially defensive Hippowdon is the best counter to Mega Ampharos, refusing to be 2hkoed by anything in its arsenal, while it can Earthquake it back for a 2hko. It also blocks Mega Ampharos's Volt Switch
  • Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill counter the RestTalk set, although all can be Ohkoed by a Focus Blast from the Bulky Attacker set
  • Special walls such as Blissey or Sylveon can easily stall it out, although it ends up in a stall war with the RestTalk set, but Mega Ampharos can get the advantage with its Volt Switch
  • It can be easily revenged killed by nearly anything due to its low speed

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
3 attacks + Heal Bell is a good set, add it. Slash Thunderbolt with Heal Bell for those that want a reliable Electric move. Use enough Speed to outrun 0 Speed Hippowdon in both sets. Also, the RestTalk set should have just enough power to 2HKO max HP Hippo after SR, and the rest of the EVs should be put to SpD, as Ampharos tanks special attacks often. Here is the spread i am talking about: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/completed-ampharos.3490995/

Before you do anything, can you please fix the formatting of the analysis? It's not that difficult to follow how every other analysis is formatted, there are plenty of examples to look at. Go through this again and fix the number of spelling and grammatical errors throughout as well, otherwise bad things will happen.

You're also missing the Other Options section.

Gotcha, sorry about that I'm typing on an ipad and it kinda fucks up a lot. Also, I haven't done other options because I haven't decided on the main sets yet, but I will put in the skeleton

Edit: Wow, I just read through it and fixed most of it up, and that was pretty bad. My typing needs some work. I was looking at Dragonuser's Mawile as my basis for formatting it by the way. What is wrong with it?

Last edited:

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gotcha, sorry about that I'm typing on an ipad and it kinda fucks up a lot. Also, I haven't done other options because I haven't decided on the main sets yet, but I will put in the skeleton

Edit: Wow, I just read through it and fixed most of it up, and that was pretty bad. My typing needs some work. I was looking at Dragonuser's Mawile as my basis for formatting it by the way. What is wrong with it?
Please use this forum's bullet points so it's easier to read through the analysis. The Dragonite analysis is a pretty good basis of what you should be aiming for in terms of presentation/format.

Alright, I fixed up most of the shit and added a Bulky Attacker set, I think its ready for QC. Anyone else have any suggestions?

What about a mega Agility set? Have seen a few people use and works out pretty good for late game sweeping even if it is slow as fuck.

name: Agility
move 1:Agility
move 2:Thunderbolt
move 3:Dragon Pulse
move 4:Focus Blast
evs:4 HP/252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
nature:Timid/Modest

Last edited:
The agility set is honestly useless in testing, and from talking to others. Too slow and too weak. Anyway, it's ready for qc.

Discharge can be played in the Tank's 4th Slot, I also used to play Thunder Wave as the 4th slot, Ampharos forces a lot of switches, as all OU TW immunities aren't wrecked by Dragon Pulse (Except for Excadrill, who is smashed by Focus Miss.), and can Para all the enemy Team easily, enabling something like SD Terrakion to set up and finish the job.

Mention also that Ampharos has an amazing Synergy with Azumarill, Azumarill takes Dragon/Ice attacks with ease while Smashing Hippo, Ttar, Blissey, Sylveon, Excadrill and pretty much all of Amphy counters, while Ampharos takes care of Tentacruel, Skarm, Tangrowth, Physically Defensive Venusaur, Gyara, Zor and almost all of his other counters. (Azu and Amphy also both appreciates a lot Paralysis support.)

Last edited:
I run a substitute set that's not bad...
Ampharos (F) @ Ampharosite
Substitute
Thunderbolt
Dragon Pulse
Volt Switch
Modest Nature
252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spe (to outspeed other M-Ampharos and -Spe Aegislash turn 1)

Imo 20 EV Speed is a must have for Ampharos, it permits it to outspeed Hippo (That is KOed easily if it's the physical variant.) but also Azumarill, Mega Aggron and many things that would otherwise threaten it.

Jefliv, substitute + volt switch is a bad combo! sorry
Tainic, I have 20 speed on both sets. I will slash discharge though. Also, azumarill is a great teammate, the team I'm using rest talk mega ampharos has an azumarill haha, I will mention it

Sorry. Edited:
Ampharos (F) @ Ampharosite
Substitute
Dragon Pulse
Thunderbolt/Discharge
Thunder Wave
236 HP/252 SpA/20 Spe
Modest Nature

I've noticed that Mega Ampharos is a commonly used Pokemon for teams based around Trick Room.

Example set taken from this post:

Mega Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Heal Bell / Volt Switch / Hidden Power Ice

Mega Ampharos resists Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, Aerilate Quick Attack, and Gale Wings Brave Bird. Mach Punch, Extremespeed, and Shadow Sneak are all neutral, with Ice Shard being the only super-effective priority. Under Trick Room, Mega Ampharos "outspeeds" all noteworthy threats save for Gastrodon. While others like Ferrothorn and Slowbro also "outspeed" Mega Ampharos, they pose no significant threat.

Perhaps it might not warrant its own set in the analysis due to the relative uncommonness of Trick Room, but I do believe that Mega Ampharos' viability as a TR abuser at least deserves a mention in OO.

Yeah Panda, I will mention that Ampharos works great on a trick room team. That set is basically the same as my "Bulky Attacker set", although I will mention that if on a trick room team to use quiet, 0 speed ivs, etc

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I'm not saying it's about time somebody QC's a Mega Pokemon's analysis that's been ready for QC since December 27, but....actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. Bump.
Oh, and Power Gem is kinda fun for teh against Mamoswine switch-ins, if you wanna mention that in Other Options

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Because Volt Switch is one of the best moves in the game, and allows Mega Ampharos to be a great supporter by bringing in its teammates unscathed.

I'd mention in OO Section that Thunder is meh in 6G with Charizard Y being everywhere (Even though he can't do much to it without EQ.), but that Ampharos aboslutely LOVES the Para chance + Extra Power.

Also Discharge is playable on the RestTalker, effectively turning it into a Disruptor if you get that (Always nifty.) 30% chance.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)